Rita's Cantina becomes Rita's Crabshack on Radiance

I like what I saw and read. I like Alaskan Amber and crabs, but I like idea of trying out local stuff. If it is local Halibut, that should be a treat along with other local fare.

It is nice to know ahead of time though as I would be disappointed if I was looking for Mexican fare.

This is sad news...I was looking forward to the Cantina on Radiance next summer!!! Love Mexican food, will not touch seafood!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Completely agree! I really hope that the change is only a seasonal thing but I somehow doubt it :( I loved it at Christmas time - the only downside I could see is that the opening hours weren't long enough and hence why I think it was quiet. Certainly the first time I went up there I had to wait an hour before they were "open" as I was too early, but I really liked the menu and it wasn't all expensive either. I hate seafood so if it stays, that's two dining options less if you count Izumi - which I saw even fewer people in there during my time on board - Rita's at least had atmosphere :)

I think it's great that they're trying to pick up a little more on the local cuisine. I'm not sure where it's actually sourced, but it would be nice to be able to get fresh seafood aboard.

I've always avoided the seafood aboard, because it's so bad compared with what you can get in South Florida, or ashore on the islands. If they can pick up even a limited supply of fresh catch in port, that would be a great addition to the cruise experience.

I'm enjoying your post Robb on Twitter. Nothing beats your klassy cruise on carnival. Keep it up!!!!!

Thanks! If anyone else wants to follow along we are live tweeting @themeparkreview

And yeah, there will never be another cruise quite like the "Klassy Cruise!" (And that's a GOOD thing!) :)

We never eat at Rita Cantina on a ship....we haven't really tried specialty restaurants yet; our first may be Izumi on Allure.

But it does intrigue me to try the crab cakes (something I love); 4 crab cakes for $5.95 is very reasonable. We have no plans to do an Alaskan cruise in the near future, so maybe I won't have the chance....but if it does go fleetwide, I would be tempted!

We love Radiance but Rita's is the least favourite location. The Mexican food was so so but the Margarita's were great.

The cosmetic change to a seafood theme will not change things for 2 reasons. Firstly the prices seem very high compared to the inexpensive Mexican menu.

Secondly, and this is the major reason i feel that people dont frequent the place, is the very cold blasts of air that makes for uncomfortable dining. Rita's is open at the back to the outside and has a sliding glass door at the front opening into the WJ. The staff constantly use this door for access creating a wind tunnel effect.

So until the design layout is corrected, Rita's will continue to be a daytime only venue and convenient passageway to the aft deck.

This looks like a much better option than the Cantina even though the prices are more. I have not dined in Ritas but I had read several reviews where people think Taco Bell was better :eek: I know food reviews are very subjective but I have read many and that isnt saying much for Ritas Cantina!

image_4751.jpg

The fish & chips come in a bucket! (I could only vouch for the chips, but they were fresh cut and very good!)

--Robb

The fish looks awesome and fresh cut fries are my favorite I'll have to get some when we are on Radiance in August. Is this place all outside or open air? Thanks for posting this. Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by Lorey2007

Yes is this outdoors? And can you reserve online?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As someone else mentioned the location is outside, but protected. Some of us were cold, especially when the door would open creating the wind tunnel. There are some tables that are more protected than others.

I don't know about reserving online, but the place was dead every night so I wouldn't worry too much.

My guess would this will go back to Mexican food after the Alaska trips. Its easy for them to restock fresh crab/fish at each port. That isn't really a option in the carib. I do like the idea of local brews on tap. This is something I thought they should have been doing all along. With how popular local/craft beers have become they could be doing this at a select bar on board pretty easy.

Tried Ritas

on Briliance. After being on Allure(where Rita's was a dinner party with participation), the Ritas on Briliance was a waste of space. Mostly overflow from windjammer.

• 4 weeks later...

You would think "local" seafood would cost less than it does when they have to fly those crab legs all the way to Philly. Apparently not so. Doubt we will eat there. Will do "local" in Seward and perhaps in a port or two. RC keeps trying to find ways to make more $$ off of us. (Can't believe how much the price of Chops has gone up as well.) :p

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Word from RCCL is that the Crab Shack will stay for the Vancouver to Hawaii leg. I think they then plan to change it back on the crossing....but have hey thought about how much Aussies love their seafood?

I for one will spend money there. I was never inspired by Rita's but am looking forward to this!.

Raina

I hope they bring it back for next summer's season. We'll be on Radiance next year. I wish someone would have posted a pic of the crab cakes. Sounds very interesting.

Edited by Cheryl H