Rita's Cantina becomes Rita's Crabshack on Radiance

Any place that serves Alaskan Amber beer is OK in my book!

I miss it since trying it in Alaska...

Earlier this summer it appeared in the grocery and liquor stores in north Texas, so it's apparently migrating east :D

Word from RCCL is that the Crab Shack will stay for the Vancouver to Hawaii leg. I think they then plan to change it back on the crossing....but have hey thought about how much Aussies love their seafood?

I for one will spend money there. I was never inspired by Rita's but am looking forward to this!.

Raina

Sounds good, I suppose they have supplies to use up, we'll be glad to help:D

Edited by pspercy

Just received our cruise documents on our up and coming b2b Sydney-Perth then Perth -Sydney and no mention of either Rita's Cantina or Crab Shack. Does this mean that they wont have either on or Radiance Cruise both looked like fun :confused:

Cheryl

• 1 month later...

I called Royal about another cruise and asked while I had her on the phone about the pay restaurants on Radiance

She said Rita's Cantina and Rita's Crab shack. She couldn't help with my question of which is it, either or both.

My guess is it will go to Crab shack on Alaska route and Cantina Aussie route but my question what will it be on my Hawaii route.

We aren't ones to generally shell out money for the more upscale restaurants but I would totally give this a shot. It should fit the theme of northern cruising well too. Maybe someday they'll consider a similar option for New England cruising..

We were on the Radiance last January in Australia and Rita's was empty most of the time. Most passengers on board were Australians so maybe they didn't care for the cuisine. I'd much rather have seafood than Mexican anyway.

• 1 month later...
You can get Mexican food anywhere and I heard that this food was not very good.

As a Texan living in Australia I must disagree with this statement. What they pass off as Mexican in Australia is an abomination. Not that Rita's was much better, but nun the less, it was better.

We were looking forward to Rita's on our upcoming trip from Sydney.

As a Texan living in Australia I must disagree with this statement. What they pass off as Mexican in Australia is an abomination. Not that Rita's was much better, but nun the less, it was better.

We were looking forward to Rita's on our upcoming trip from Sydney.

We were on the Radiance last January from Sydney and although we didn't eat at Rita's, it smelled good and the people we talked to thought the food was fabulous. Don't know where they were from but they loved Rita's.

To each his own I guess but I would like to try Rita's as a crab shack since we're from Florida...yum! I thought the food on the Radiance was absolutely wonderful, especially in the Windjammer. I've never had 'bad' food on a cruise ship. Some better than others, but no real disappointers. I just got off HAL's Eurodam yesterday and it was awesome. Going on the Oasis in Feb 2015.

So many ships, so little time.

• 1 year later...
Last I heard, it's the crab shack year round now.

Correct... for now permanent. Menu's are changed as are some of the "decorations" in the venue (although most of them are still from the old Mexican Rita's). I can only suspect with the seemingly lack of patrons using this venue (and imho the worst food for value paid in all of RCL) that it just has to change to something else yet again when Radiance gets refurbed, but who knows.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48008687&highlight=crab#post48008687

• 8 months later...

Dear members who have been 2016 guests aboard Radiance of the Seas:

Please have a glance at (at least part of) the above thread about Rita's Crab Shack, as it was just changing from Rita's Cantina in 2014/2015.

We would like to know if Rita's has been "Crab Shack" ever since then or if it reverted to "Cantina" at some point. We especially wonder what guise it takes when it is in Australia and New Zealand. If it is "Crab Shack" there, can anyone give us the newer (2016) menu entries and prices?

Thanks, in advance, for good replies.

I know it was still Rita's Crab Shack last month when we were onboard. Menu was a la carte, but I don't remember the exact items/prices as we didn't eat there for dinner.

Thanks! That's good news. We are hoping that it will remain "Crab Shack" when it goes down to Australia and New Zealand, later this month. We much prefer seafood to Mexican specialties. We hope that someone else will see our conversation and provide the missing information (items and prices).

I have been on Radiance and Brilliance while on a Hawaii Cruise, TA, and Alaska Cruise in the past few years. Rita's has been both Crab Shack and Rita's Cantina. It depends on the sailing. The do a quick name change, different menus, and add some decor and ta da! A new restaurant. In Alaska it was the crab shack, in Europe it was a cantina, to Hawaii it was the crab shack and on the TA it was the cantina.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately we didn't take any menu pictures when we were on the ship two weeks ago. We recall the prices being between $7 and $25 (the higher price point being the meal for two) for ala carte pricing.

I was looking forward to eating here, but was very disappointed. Before you sit down, ask if they are out of anything. Our sailing on the first sea day had no crab legs and no peel and eat shrimp. What??!!! Seriously! I ordered the seafood chowder. I thought it was very fishy and watery. Yes, it's a seafood chowder so it should be fishy but I couldn't finish it (and I eat fish!) My husband had the crab cake burger (I think they call it the surf and turf) and he LOVED it. I wish I had ordered what he had, he enjoyed it that much.

Unfortunately we didn't take any menu pictures when we were on the ship two weeks ago. We recall the prices being between $7 and $25 (the higher price point being the meal for two) for ala carte pricing. I was looking forward to eating here, but was very disappointed. Before you sit down, ask if they are out of anything. Our sailing on the first sea day had no crab legs and no peel and eat shrimp. What??!!! Seriously! I ordered the seafood chowder. I thought it was very fishy and watery. Yes, it's a seafood chowder so it should be fishy but I couldn't finish it (and I eat fish!) My husband had the crab cake burger (I think they call it the surf and turf) and he LOVED it. I wish I had ordered what he had, he enjoyed it that much.

Thanks for the tip, ms8654 (about asking if they are out of anything).

It's good to know, also, about the "surf and turf" that your husband enjoyed, because it was not on the old (2014/2015?) menu that we once saw in a photo.

On that old menu, the seafood chowder was listed as being served in a sourdough bread bowl. Is that what you had, or did they use an ordinary bowl? (We were planning to try the chowder that is served [or used to be served?] in bread. Of course, we still don't know if Rita's is "Cantina" or "Crab Shack" in Australia/New Zealand, where we are going.)

Edited by jg51