Summit Buffet: Erase my memory! (rant)

JEDIKNIGHT

That is not really the point here.. If you take french toast (which is sitting by the fruit) and you want syrup, you must first go find a plate to put the french toast on as the syrup would drip all over the place if you used the basket that it comes in. Lets just say you now would like bacon with your french toast, you would have to go the American Breakfast area where there is a long line because there making eggs, thats where the bacon is. You might find a pre plated eggs with a piece or two of bacon but what if you don't want the eggs? This is about an entire new concept that I have never seen done in any buffet in my 55 or so cruises. The issue is about the baskets and pre plated meals.

When I think if preplated food reminds me of old fashioned hospital cafeterias, etc. not Modern Luxury, but since I have not seen it first hand I will wait until Sunday when I can see it in person.

When I think if preplated food reminds me of old fashioned hospital cafeterias, etc. not Modern Luxury, but since I have not seen it first hand I will wait until Sunday when I can see it in person.

It will be interesting to see what the group arriving home this Sunday will be saying. On a bright note, the pizza is fabulous!

It will be interesting to see what the group arriving home this Sunday will be saying. On a bright note, the pizza is fabulous!

Did they go back to the original pizza? They had changed the pizza in December on the Reflection...wasn't quite as good as before.

As for Aqua Spa Cafe, unless they changed something again, the protiens are made to order. When we were on Reflection in January, you had to order the meat, chicken or fish that they were offering that day. I was even able to order my salmon with no miso marinade (extremely salty and I am allergic to soy) for the entire week. I was also able to order plain shrimp which was grilled and delicious and HOT. So I guess my point to the poster who wrote about changes at Aqua Spa, did you ask for a protien and then were told it was no longer offered?>

I can see automats making a comeback to replace the buffets. Swipe your cruise card and get a sandwich. They will not only make money from the up charge but they can also reduce the staff. The new generation of passengers will think it's high tech as they probably don't have any knowledge of an automat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when I was 8 years old, I went to NY City with my Grandparents. My Grandfather took me to an automat. I was amazed.

Somehow, i don't see the utility. Why the need to swipe your card, when the food is free? Also, I don't see how it would reduce staffing. I suppose one side of the buffet could be just packaged sandwiches for pickup, with on attendants. That might reduce staff.

Did they go back to the original pizza? They had changed the pizza in December on the Reflection...wasn't quite as good as before.

I was on reflection in feb and had pizza....thought it tasted great, although (i only eat pepperoni pizza) it was odd only having 1 piece of pepperoni in each pizza "square".

Is the Summit the only so trying out the premade burgers poolside? Because I have read reviews from others stating that the poolside burgers are delicious!??!?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The burgers are frozen, grilled, then placed in a heating pan. They are very good. I guess by premade, you don't get them hot off the grill unless they are crowded and cooking them up fast. Then you might get one fresh off the grill. :)

On Infinity a few weeks ago the burgers were being grilled a bit in advance to eliminate the wait. They would fall behind with demand and then you would get a freshly grilled burger. I had been a big burger fan on all of our previous Celebrity cruises, but I didn't care for them this time. They tasted almost like a meat loaf, like there was some filler in them. First time that I only had one burger on a cruise.

Not sure if this is the original pizza but it is quite good...

I was on reflection in feb and had pizza....thought it tasted great, although (i only eat pepperoni pizza) it was odd only having 1 piece of pepperoni in each pizza "square".

Your going to love this pizza, lots of pepperoni!

Aqua Spa Cafe has cut way back in their offerings. I loved their poached salmon on many cruises. On the Summit last week, there were no fish, poultry or meat dishes at the cafe. Some of the dishes had an extra charge. Nice, but not like what was offered on previous cruises.

This is just not true. Salmon was available several times. It is cooked to order. The bottom of the posted menu lists the cooked to order items for the day and you then place an order. It is not just sitting out there already plated to grab and go.

This is just not true. Salmon was available several times. It is cooked to order. The bottom of the posted menu lists the cooked to order items for the day and you then place an order. It is not just sitting out there already plated to grab and go.

Previous to my cruise last week, you could get the poached salmon and often other meat or fish dishes. On my recent cruise, those items were missing. Only meat was some small pieces of ham on the salad selections. It has changed quite a bit from my experience last winter. There are so many changes on Celebrity. Some good, some not good. There is still many places to get food on the ship. It may not be in the same place that you were used to finding it. The best change in the Aqua Spa Cafe is the tea at 4pm. Food at that time is better than any other time.

Previous to my cruise last week, you could get the poached salmon and often other meat or fish dishes. On my recent cruise, those items were missing. Only meat was some small pieces of ham on the salad selections. It has changed quite a bit from my experience last winter. There are so many changes on Celebrity. Some good, some not good. There is still many places to get food on the ship. It may not be in the same place that you were used to finding it. The best change in the Aqua Spa Cafe is the tea at 4pm. Food at that time is better than any other time.

Interesting;) Same cruise lol

We got off Constellation earlier this month, and lunch at the Aqua Spa Café you could order salmon, tuna, chicken, and pork loin. The Aqua Spa Café closes after lunch, around 2pm. I'm sure you mean the 4pm tea is at the Oceanview Café?

We cruise on Summit next week, and I'm hoping they have the same menu as Constellation had at the AQ Spa Café. I'll let you know.

Edited by Wine-O

We got off Constellation earlier this month, and lunch at the Aqua Spa Café you could order salmon, tuna, chicken, and pork loin. The Aqua Spa Café closes after lunch, around 2pm. I'm sure you mean the 4pm tea is at the Oceanview Café?

We cruise on Summit next week, and I'm hoping they have the same menu as Constellation had at the AQ Spa Café. I'll let you know.

Just off the Summit today. The AQ Spa Cafe had the lunch setup from 12:00 - 2:30 and the afternoon tea setup from 4 pm - 5pm.

Got back home this am from the 5/18 Summit to Bermuda. Wife and I, seniors, very much disagree with many of the above negatives about the buffet.

We had breakfast early, 7-8am and LOVED the buffet at that time. For us, it was a matter of knowing where things were. Omelet stations here, pancakes/waffles there, bread and pastries there. If one was piling up a plate with everything for one trip, then yes, you might not like the set up. As explained by Celebrity, they have move to a "separated item" approach to try and keep the flavors intact. Unlike going to a typical Mexican dinner where all the items on a combo plate just run together in taste. So instead, you could get eggs from the omelet station, made to order, OR, pick up a stainless pot with one the many different egg dishes. Or a little basket with french toast, or little pancakes, bowls of fruit. But of course, you could still get a waffle made to order. Oh and the cheeses, lox and herring, special meats sliced to your desire. Wonderful. We liked this better than breakfast buffets on NCL, DIsney and Carnival.

Lunch buffet: This was a bit more hit and miss in our liking of individual servings. Many really good and a few no so. Very good sandwich cheeses and meets, good carving items.

We had no real problem with tables. Midships, it was sometimes hard to find a clean, empty table, but servers came by frequently and bused used plates away. We tended to find clean, empty tables easily aft.

And by the way, the scrambled eggs in the little pots tasted like the real homemade thing. Not like the perhaps mixed powder scrambles you scoop out of big trays on other cruise lines.

And also, this is NOT to limit portions. I am a 6'1" 230 male and I found the amount of food in the little individual pots was quite generous. More eggs than I would have taken myself, with 2 sausage and 3 bacon on top. 3 half slices of french toast in a small basket...take two baskets if you want. Its all there for the taking, but no big trays to carry stuff on. Just plates, including some platter size.

Plenty of OJ, milk and other beverages. On NCL, its hard to find milk after the breakfast buffet closes.

Just off the Summit today. The AQ Spa Cafe had the lunch setup from 12:00 - 2:30 and the afternoon tea setup from 4 pm - 5pm.

I was on another thread that showed the dailies of your sailing, and it showed that they did have the afternoon tea at the AQ Spa Café on Summit. It was not on Constellation earlier this month. Must be something new. I'll have to check it out, but how much food can one eat. :rolleyes:

I end up at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas every year with free meals at the Wicked Spoon. Definitely should try it, dinner is good, brunch is great, I recommend you go for brunch.

They do a lot of pre-plated food, but every section has someone there plating. If you don't like it plated, you ask for a new basket or plate, and they prep it for you.

Personally, whether the mast grill or the buffet, I would just ask for a new fresh, whatever from the person on behind the counter doing prep. They'll probably point to the one sitting there, and then I can just politely ask for a new one, my way. This gives you an option, if you want it NOW (modern for sure, luxury, not so much), you get it now, or if you want it fresh, you can relax (hopefully) and wait a bit.

How many times have you been told "No" on Celebrity for a reasonable request, especially in regards to food?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I end up at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas every year with free meals at the Wicked Spoon. Definitely should try it, dinner is good, brunch is great, I recommend you go for brunch.

They do a lot of pre-plated food, but every section has someone there plating. If you don't like it plated, you ask for a new basket or plate, and they prep it for you.

Personally, whether the mast grill or the buffet, I would just ask for a new fresh, whatever from the person on behind the counter doing prep. They'll probably point to the one sitting there, and then I can just politely ask for a new one, my way. This gives you an option, if you want it NOW (modern for sure, luxury, not so much), you get it now, or if you want it fresh, you can relax (hopefully) and wait a bit.

How many times have you been told "No" on Celebrity for a reasonable request, especially in regards to food?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I don’t wish to beat it to death, as I’ve already accepted that the cattle-factor is the “norm” in mass-market cruising and therefore, will cruise less. But just to answer your question.

Twice at burger grill I very politely asked for a fresh burger, twice they aggressively pointed out the ones sitting there, and one out of those 2 times it was more a scolding, lol.

Will cruise once a year instead of twice, and as a few suggested, just have butler do room service for breakfast and lunch.

Got back home this am from the 5/18 Summit to Bermuda. Wife and I, seniors, very much disagree with many of the above negatives about the buffet.

We had breakfast early, 7-8am and LOVED the buffet at that time. For us, it was a matter of knowing where things were. Omelet stations here, pancakes/waffles there, bread and pastries there. If one was piling up a plate with everything for one trip, then yes, you might not like the set up. As explained by Celebrity, they have move to a "separated item" approach to try and keep the flavors intact. Unlike going to a typical Mexican dinner where all the items on a combo plate just run together in taste. So instead, you could get eggs from the omelet station, made to order, OR, pick up a stainless pot with one the many different egg dishes. Or a little basket with french toast, or little pancakes, bowls of fruit. But of course, you could still get a waffle made to order. Oh and the cheeses, lox and herring, special meats sliced to your desire. Wonderful. We liked this better than breakfast buffets on NCL, DIsney and Carnival.

Lunch buffet: This was a bit more hit and miss in our liking of individual servings. Many really good and a few no so. Very good sandwich cheeses and meets, good carving items.

We had no real problem with tables. Midships, it was sometimes hard to find a clean, empty table, but servers came by frequently and bused used plates away. We tended to find clean, empty tables easily aft.

And by the way, the scrambled eggs in the little pots tasted like the real homemade thing. Not like the perhaps mixed powder scrambles you scoop out of big trays on other cruise lines.

And also, this is NOT to limit portions. I am a 6'1" 230 male and I found the amount of food in the little individual pots was quite generous. More eggs than I would have taken myself, with 2 sausage and 3 bacon on top. 3 half slices of french toast in a small basket...take two baskets if you want. Its all there for the taking, but no big trays to carry stuff on. Just plates, including some platter size.

Plenty of OJ, milk and other beverages. On NCL, its hard to find milk after the breakfast buffet closes.

Thank you for taking the time to shed more light on the buffet situation on the Summit. It is always good to hear from a number of passengers on the issues.

I don’t wish to beat it to death, as I’ve already accepted that the cattle-factor is the “norm” in mass-market cruising and therefore, will cruise less. But just to answer your question.

Twice at burger grill I very politely asked for a fresh burger, twice they aggressively pointed out the ones sitting there, and one out of those 2 times it was more a scolding, lol.

Will cruise once a year instead of twice, and as a few suggested, just have butler do room service for breakfast and lunch.

That's really a bummer, and trying to remember reading your post early, how you mentioned something to the Maiter'D (I think you said), and still didn't get the serivice you should have, is just a bummer. I would be really frustrated too.

Hope you're next sailing doesn't have the cattle call, whether to get on, off or eat a meal.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

It happens. Still interested in cruising of course, just not as frequently and will also look at NCL again, because while X is great, it’s not great enough anymore to be exclusive with.

The dream cruise would be getting caught at the bottom of the ship with Kate Winslet and being allowed to paint her au natural. That would trump the buffet for sure.