Is there NOTHING positive about Celebrity any more? (Threads Merged)

K.T.B.

Also likewise are the posts towards those who really don't see much wrong that we are "cheerleaders" "have blinders on" "opinions don't count since you haven't been sailing with X long enough to know how much it's changed" or "clearly they work for Celebrity".

Sometimes when I post clarifications people jump all over me, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Often times a poster may in fact actually be wrong, or misinformed or it may be a variance due to timing of service or ship to ship or itinerary to itinerary variances.

I had one poster in another thread post that there was nothing at all but DJ music at the pool on a Summit sailing, and they had done away with all the live music, so I posted the complete pool music schedule, that was half and half DJ and live music, they just happened to be onshore during live music, or at a show when the live music was playing the one night late. So although their perception based on their experiences was correct that they saw no live music at the pool, the reality was there was in fact live music at the pool, just apparently not when they were there.

I've read threads that "the harpists have all been removed" yet on my TA there was a harpist a some nights I saw passing thru Ensemble lounge. I read that they have cut activities in half, yet when I compare my Celebrity Today from April 2013 to April 2014 on the Eclipse TA, I find them to be fairly much exactly the same, certainly not cut in half by a long shot - though I did notice the guest talent show was missing, they still did the guest choir.

Another poster said there was no salad dressing for the salad bar at the new buffet..does that really make any sense? I know I saw 4 salad dressing dispensers immediately adjacent to the salad bar fix ins, and just can not fathom for one moment that a buffet would but out a whole salad bar spread, and then not put out any dressings....I could fathom that they had set the salad bar up and were still setting it up and it was simply due to the moment in time when the dressing cart had not yet come out and the salad bar was still being opened or was just being broken own at the end of a service, but that there would be no salad dressing at the salad bar, come on....

So I find it best to present BOTH sides to discussions, so those new to celebrity researching can get more details in order to make their educated assessment of what the reality is. If that labels me a "cheerleader" then

• Give me a C
  • give me an E
  • give me an L
  • give me another E
  • give me a B
  • give me an R
  • give me an I
  • give me a T
  • give me a Y!

:D

Ok, So I can comment, with first hand knowledge regarding one example you give where you accused another poster of being wrong.. I will not comment on the examples you give where I have no firsthand knowledge.

This is the example:

Another poster said there was no salad dressing for the salad bar at the new buffet..does that really make any sense? I know I saw 4 salad dressing dispensers immediately adjacent to the salad bar fix ins, and just can not fathom for one moment that a buffet would but out a whole salad bar spread, and then not put out any dressings....I could fathom that they had set the salad bar up and were still setting it up and it was simply due to the moment in time when the dressing cart had not yet come out and the salad bar was still being opened or was just being broken own at the end of a service, but that there would be no salad dressing at the salad bar, come on….

I would agree with the OP, the salad dressing was not with the salad on the cruise I sailed on, you had to go looking for it as was the case with many condiments… They were also moved around from time to time, making things more difficult..You have accused this poster of being wrong when you weren't on his cruise, maybe by the time you sailed on the Summit they straightened that out. IN THIS CASE THE OTHER POSTER WAS RIGHT.. Perhaps this is an issue Celebrity addressed and fixed but that does not mean that the OP was wrong regarding his experience.

Honestly, sometimes you seem more interested in posting your side of the discussion or the way you want things to be rather than listen to people who actually experienced it.…You make it sound like what there saying is hogwash! Just because you can't fathom something doesn't mean its untrue. So, you see sometimes your clarifications are not right, there just your opinion and would be misleading for people new to Celebrity and researching on CC.

Again, I want to make it very clear that I have consistently said that I love Celebrity, I have a future cruise booked and I want them to once again become my cruise line of choice.

Ok, So I can comment, with first hand knowledge regarding one example you give where you accused another poster of being wrong.. I will not comment on the examples you give where I have no firsthand knowledge.

This is the example:

Another poster said there was no salad dressing for the salad bar at the new buffet..does that really make any sense? I know I saw 4 salad dressing dispensers immediately adjacent to the salad bar fix ins, and just can not fathom for one moment that a buffet would but out a whole salad bar spread, and then not put out any dressings....I could fathom that they had set the salad bar up and were still setting it up and it was simply due to the moment in time when the dressing cart had not yet come out and the salad bar was still being opened or was just being broken own at the end of a service, but that there would be no salad dressing at the salad bar, come on….

I would agree with the OP, the salad dressing was not with the salad on the cruise I sailed on, you had to go looking for it as was the case with many condiments… They were also moved around from time to time, making things more difficult..You have accused this poster of being wrong when you weren't on his cruise, maybe by the time you sailed on the Summit they straightened that out. IN THIS CASE THE OTHER POSTER WAS RIGHT.. Perhaps this is an issue Celebrity addressed and fixed but that does not mean that the OP was wrong regarding his experience.

Honestly, sometimes you seem more interested in posting your side of the discussion or the way you want things to be rather than listen to people who actually experienced it.…You make it sound like what there saying is hogwash! Just because you can't fathom something doesn't mean its untrue. So, you see sometimes your clarifications are not right, there just your opinion and would be misleading for people new to Celebrity and researching on CC.

However the great salad dressing mystery of early and mid May 2014 went down, my post does nothing more than tell current cruisers, there is no longer an issue with finding salad dressings.

Perhaps the finding of the salad dressing earlier in may was part of a new activity, the scavenger hunt. :D I really don't know, but can report that as of May 25, they now in fact have salad dressing to dress your salad with, located conveniently at the salad bar. and not on the other side of the buffet.

So for anyone who comes to read these forums, lest they read only from a post of a cruise in early may there is no salad dressing unless you go hunting it down, that issue has now been appropriately resolved. See Celebrity DOES listen to its passengers on board. They heard loud and clear, "Celebrity the salad dressing belongs near the salad".

My apologies for offending those who had to trapse all around the buffet to find their salad dressings.

It's not about right and wrong, it's about presenting information, current and factual and about things that may have changed over time. sheesh. :rolleyes:

Of course now my curiosity is peaked...exactly where was it you did eventually locate the salad dressings? :confused: I simply must know.

I've lost count over how many threads I've read the past few days about how bad Celebrity is now.....Someone else must have a positive experience they can mention, right??

Kevin T Brown- Thank you for your original thread. It is one of the currently most read posts on Cruise Critic, with nearly 18,000 readers. May I say that despite the negative feedback lately, we have chosen Celebrity for our next cruise. First time on Celebrity, after nearly a dozen out of Florida in the past few years, MSC, CCL, NCL. Hopefully Celebrity will provide the upscale experience we are looking forward to. Never had a 'bad' cruise, the only one we were happy to leave was Carnival Glory. We always find something enjoyable. But, having said that, our initial experience with Celebrity has been confusion and poor customer service. We are still looking forward to our cruise, but of the four

cruise lines we have dealt with, Celebrity's website and phone bank are the worst; and even emails have not been returned. Still, looking forward to our next cruise with Celebrity.

Neptuno, I can guarantee you that your service on Celebrity will be 1,000% better onboard as it has been pre-boarding (if that number were to be possible). Not sure why X can't clear up that side of their business, but service onboard is known for being excellent in almost all cases. Sure, there is the occasional exception, but overall I can attest in our 25+ Celebrity cruises bad service has been the very rare exception, and excellent service has been the norm.

Did you ever notice how many respond in the positive when the CD asks on the first night: "How many have cruised Celebrity before"? Did you ever notice how many Captain's Club members are on your cruise? Did you ever hear people complain about vouchers (I like them) because too many Elites are on board? Have you read complaints on Cruise Critic that prices were rising and cabins for the cruise that interested you were not available? According to their most recent SEC filing Celebrity ships sailed at 104% capacity. My conclusion from the data is that Celebrity must be doing something positive to attract and maintain their consumer base. Certainly there have been some mistakes and stumbling along the way, but clearly the sky isn't falling yet.

On another note:

On my first 4 B2B cruises DW and I along with the others on the B2B were invited to a luncheon in either the MDR or Bistro on 5. I assumed that this was standard practice since we were offered the special lunch on every B2B cruise. Someone asked about lunch on a B2B and I posted that it is provided. Well, one poster after another came on to say that I was "wrong" and they never had a special lunch. Turns out that my experience on four cruises was not typical. There was inconsistency from ship to ship and cruise to cruise. I took another 5 or 6 B2Bs before having another lunch. Bottom line: Every cruise is different and all we can expect is honest reporting of observations from unbiased observers.

Did you ever hear people complain about vouchers (I like them) because too many Elites are on board?

Actually yes I have heard people complain about vouchers. I agree with you. I don't mind them but some people don't like them.

My conclusion from the data is that Celebrity must be doing something positive to attract and maintain their consumer base.

Free drink packages are probably helping them with some bookings. ;)

Edited by CruisingChick

Actually yes I have heard people complain about vouchers. I agree with you. I don't mind them but some people don't like them.

Free drink packages are probably helping them with some bookings. ;)

My point about vouchers is not that people like them or not, but they are used because there are just too many Elites on board. This is evidence of the number of repeat customers.

Drink packages and price reductions may attract some, but I believe that most people return because they enjoyed their past experiences and found value for their money.

Incentives alone don't take you to 104% capacity.

I have joined this topic late, but my experience on Eclipse, which was admittedly some time ago, was that it was the best food I had eaten ever, and I have eaten all over the world! If I had a grumble, it would be that there was always a risk of being run over by a wheelchair being driven recklessly, but other than that, it was a great cruise. The cabin (we were in a concierge) was brilliant and always spotless. Unless there is evidence that their standards have plummeted, we are booking with them next year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Drink packages and price reductions may attract some, but I believe that most people return because they enjoyed their past experiences and found value for their money.

Incentives alone don't take you to 104% capacity.

I agree with your 104%!!! I was being a bit sarcastic about the drink packages that's why I put the wink emoticon after the statement.

While things weren't perfect on our last Summit cruise the food and service was outstanding and loved our Elite+ Perks. It will be hard to sail other lines now (except for Royal since we get Diamond Perks) unless Celebrity food and service takes a nose dive or they get rid of traditional dining altogether. That's one of the main draws for us to cruise. If I have to make dinner reservations months in advance for different restaurants then I can stay home and do that. We have 100's of great restaurants right where I live.

Curt has quickly become one of my favorite posters, along with Librarylady, Wallie, Tex-ed, and several others. It seems to me that these folks are from the glass half-full camp. Call them cheerleaders if you like... My opinion?? I operate a 500 seat restaurant with sales in excess of $100,000 weekly. I have been written up in Southern Living magazine and have been awarded multiple Wine Spectator World Award of Excellence Awards. I am qualified to speak on service. I completed a cruise on the Connie in April, during all the mud-slinging, change-hating, negative commentary bouncing all over this board. I had a wonderful time! The food in Blu was excellent, service in all venues exemplary, the cabin kept clean and tidy. Was it perfect? No. Did they try? Yes! My guests rarely know what goes on behind the scenes....did they know I had my pant legs rolled up to my knees last night in the dishroom plunging a clog in the drain so the dining room wouldn't flood? No, they didn't. They enjoyed well prepared food and paired wine while I almost washed away!! I UNDERSTAND that @#$% happens, so maybe I am a little more forgiving, but REALLY! Have these cruises been THAT BAD?? Have I just been extremely lucky? I think not. I know what it takes to keep things going in the hospitality/service industry. Our work is not for the faint of heart! I take a cruise knowing that I am going to have a great time, enjoy good food and friendship, and while each cruise might be a little different from that last, its going to be a good experience. I, too, belong to this great group of folks in the glass half full camp. If its that bad, don't go, but trust that I will be on a Celebrity ship sometime very soon!! GO TEAM!!

Curt has quickly become one of my favorite posters, along with Librarylady, Wallie, Tex-ed, and several others. It seems to me that these folks are from the glass half-full camp. Call them cheerleaders if you like... My opinion?? I operate a 500 seat restaurant with sales in excess of $100,000 weekly. I have been written up in Southern Living magazine and have been awarded multiple Wine Spectator World Award of Excellence Awards. I am qualified to speak on service. I completed a cruise on the Connie in April, during all the mud-slinging, change-hating, negative commentary bouncing all over this board. I had a wonderful time! The food in Blu was excellent, service in all venues exemplary, the cabin kept clean and tidy. Was it perfect? No. Did they try? Yes! My guests rarely know what goes on behind the scenes....did they know I had my pant legs rolled up to my knees last night in the dishroom plunging a clog in the drain so the dining room wouldn't flood? No, they didn't. They enjoyed well prepared food and paired wine while I almost washed away!! I UNDERSTAND that @#$% happens, so maybe I am a little more forgiving, but REALLY! Have these cruises been THAT BAD?? Have I just been extremely lucky? I think not. I know what it takes to keep things going in the hospitality/service industry. Our work is not for the faint of heart! I take a cruise knowing that I am going to have a great time, enjoy good food and friendship, and while each cruise might be a little different from that last, its going to be a good experience. I, too, belong to this great group of folks in the glass half full camp. If its that bad, don't go, but trust that I will be on a Celebrity ship sometime very soon!! GO TEAM!!

Wonderful statement from one who is highly qualified to comment. My glass is more than half full. It's the fine, friendly service I receive from very talented and dedicated staff and crew that makes every Celebrity cruise special for me.

However the great salad dressing mystery of early and mid May 2014 went down, my post does nothing more than tell current cruisers, there is no longer an issue with finding salad dressings.

Perhaps the finding of the salad dressing earlier in may was part of a new activity, the scavenger hunt. :D I really don't know, but can report that as of May 25, they now in fact have salad dressing to dress your salad with, located conveniently at the salad bar. and not on the other side of the buffet.

So for anyone who comes to read these forums, lest they read only from a post of a cruise in early may there is no salad dressing unless you go hunting it down, that issue has now been appropriately resolved. See Celebrity DOES listen to its passengers on board. They heard loud and clear, "Celebrity the salad dressing belongs near the salad".

My apologies for offending those who had to trapse all around the buffet to find their salad dressings.

It's not about right and wrong, it's about presenting information, current and factual and about things that may have changed over time. sheesh. :rolleyes:

Of course now my curiosity is peaked...exactly where was it you did eventually locate the salad dressings? :confused: I simply must know.

Does this sound like someone simply telling people whats current on Celebrity or does sound like you are discounting what the OP said about the salad dressing?

My point here, Had you said "I was on the May 25th sailing and the problem with salad dressing was resolved" That works… Making excuses, saying you cannot fathom that or worse, questioning the OP's honesty by saying "There would be no salad dressing at the bar, come on.." Im just saying, that does not sound like your just keeping people up to date. Sounds critical to me…

Hopefully people returning with first hand information on how the new buffet is shaping up will be wonderful, as I said I have a future sailing and would love to hear of all the improvements..

The condiments, including the salad dressing were someplace different each day, as my cruise was the rollout, perhaps they trying new things.

I may have missed the harpist on my cruise but I never saw one. Where was the harpist located?

Celebrity is a wonderful cruise line, I sailed on them since the 80s when the Zenith did the Bermuda run from NY..

I really haven't seen that many posts lately on this thread where people were saying their cruise was bad, just some opinions on where Celebrity could do better, in my case the new buffet rollout. My wish is that eventually one of the S class ships come to NJ.

On my sailing besides the rollout of the new buffet, everything was awesome, from our cabin stuart, to our waitstaff in the MDR, to the bartenders, the entertainment and the Captain was the best not to mention our awesome Cruise Critic Group, we had a blast.

Does this sound like someone simply telling people whats current on Celebrity or does sound like you are discounting what the OP said about the salad dressing?

My point here, Had you said "I was on the May 25th sailing and the problem with salad dressing was resolved" That works… Making excuses, saying you cannot fathom that or worse, questioning the OP's honesty by saying "There would be no salad dressing at the bar, come on.." Im just saying, that does not sound like your just keeping people up to date. Sounds critical to me…

Hopefully people returning with first hand information on how the new buffet is shaping up will be wonderful, as I said I have a future sailing and would love to hear of all the improvements..

The condiments, including the salad dressing were someplace different each day, as my cruise was the rollout, perhaps they trying new things.

I may have missed the harpist on my cruise but I never saw one. Where was the harpist located?

Honestly, I'm curios as where was the salad dressing? From a Hospitality point of view, I'd like to know where they put it just to see what they were thinking? Did they make 1 section an entire condiment section with dressings, butters, jellies, sour cream, salsa, cream cheese? Or was it just dumbly placed in the middle of the deserts or breads? It moved daily, give a few examples of where it was moving for my education. What time of day was it, was it possibly being removed to start another service, or rotated out to replace with fresh? As I've said I'm intrigued by the experimentation they are doing, and a am keen to understand their thought process thru it all, and trying to understand why they would place the salad dressing away from the salad is especially intriguing with regard to the experiments they are doing.

I think we can all agree not having dressing by the salad is ludicrous, so now I'm keen to try to understand what they were thinking.

I do not recall a harpist on Summit, there was one on Eclipse, I saw her one afternoon at Cafe Al Bacio and another afternoon outside Ensemble lounge. But I think harpists are old school, and no longer needed on a cruise, so don't go seeking them out, I just know she appeared at least 2 times during my 13 day journey on Eclipse this spring.

Edited by cle-guy

Antsnanny, i don't mean to nit pick, but you have twice alluded to the fact that you sailed Celebrity Zenith in the 80s. if I'm not mistaken, Zenith, Celebrity's 2nd new build, was launched in 1992 while their 1st new build, Horizon, was launched in 1990. If you said on a Celebrity ship in the 80s (1989 was their 1st year), it had to have been the Meridian.

it is however, refreshing to read differing views without the mudslinging?:D

Antsnanny, i don't mean to nit pick, but you have twice alluded to the fact that you sailed Celebrity Zenith in the 80s. if I'm not mistaken, Zenith, Celebrity's 2nd new build, was launched in 1992 while their 1st new build, Horizon, was launched in 1990. If you said on a Celebrity ship in the 80s (1989 was their 1st year), it had to have been the Meridian.

it is however, refreshing to read differing views without the mudslinging?:D

Before I wrote that I actually went to a binder that DH keeps of all of our cruises, it says 1988. You are right though, she was not even built then. Now, I will go digging to find my photo book, I have one for every cruise we took, and let you know. I never sailed on the Meridian, it was the Zenith but the date was wrong. I remember now that time frame would have been the Meridian and was it the RCCL Song of America that left out of NYC? I stand corrected! Thanks..

Before I wrote that I actually went to a binder that DH keeps of all of our cruises, it says 1988. You are right though, she was not even built then. Now, I will go digging to find my photo book, I have one for every cruise we took, and let you know. I never sailed on the Meridian, it was the Zenith but the date was wrong. I remember now that time frame would have been the Meridian and was it the RCCL Song of America that left out of NYC? I stand corrected! Thanks..

Zenith was built March 1992.

It was probably Horizon out of NYC 1990...not that it much matters. I get your point...you''ve been a fan of Celebrity for several decades.

Neptuno, I can guarantee you that your service on Celebrity will be 1,000% better onboard as it has been pre-boarding (if that number were to be possible). Not sure why X can't clear up that side of their business, but service onboard is known for being excellent in almost all cases. Sure, there is the occasional exception, but overall I can attest in our 25+ Celebrity cruises bad service has been the very rare exception, and excellent service has been the norm.

I agree Celebrity's service is outstanding...

i think you're right, it used to be Song of America & Meridian out of NYC, with Horizon also starting in 1990 (remember the Legionaires Disease on Horizon?). Our 1st cruise in '96 was Meridian to Bermuda. When X sold Meridian in '97, Zenith joined Horizon on the Bermuda run. Certainly lots of changes since then; both in the ships & the cruise experience. Like you, I still think Celebrity provides the best bang for your cruise dollar, & fully realize that they can't remain stagnant. As long as the core experience remains the same, I'm happy. I am sure that the bumps will smooth out as time goes on.

Did you ever notice how many respond in the positive when the CD asks on the first night: "How many have cruised Celebrity before"? Did you ever notice how many Captain's Club members are on your cruise? Did you ever hear people complain about vouchers (I like them) because too many Elites are on board? Have you read complaints on Cruise Critic that prices were rising and cabins for the cruise that interested you were not available? According to their most recent SEC filing Celebrity ships sailed at 104% capacity. My conclusion from the data is that Celebrity must be doing something positive to attract and maintain their consumer base. Certainly there have been some mistakes and stumbling along the way, but clearly the sky isn't falling yet.

On another note:

On my first 4 B2B cruises DW and I along with the others on the B2B were invited to a luncheon in either the MDR or Bistro on 5. I assumed that this was standard practice since we were offered the special lunch on every B2B cruise. Someone asked about lunch on a B2B and I posted that it is provided. Well, one poster after another came on to say that I was "wrong" and they never had a special lunch. Turns out that my experience on four cruises was not typical. There was inconsistency from ship to ship and cruise to cruise. I took another 5 or 6 B2Bs before having another lunch. Bottom line: Every cruise is different and all we can expect is honest reporting of observations from unbiased observers.

Well said, I agree people come back to Celebrity time and time again.

i think you're right, it used to be Song of America & Meridian out of NYC, with Horizon also starting in 1990 (remember the Legionaires Disease on Horizon?). Our 1st cruise in '96 was Meridian to Bermuda. When X sold Meridian in '97, Zenith joined Horizon on the Bermuda run. Certainly lots of changes since then; both in the ships & the cruise experience. Like you, I still think Celebrity provides the best bang for your cruise dollar, & fully realize that they can't remain stagnant. As long as the core experience remains the same, I'm happy. I am sure that the bumps will smooth out as time goes on.

Do you remember what you paid for the Zenith or the Horizon to Bermuda when she was first built? I remember being able to stand in a parking lot and watch them sail away. They were great ships and your right a lot has changed since then, compare the Song of America or the Meridan to the Oasis class ships! Crazy right?

I like the changes, heck, I even "freestyle. Our last cruise on the Summit put me right back to what cruising use to be like, I really enjoyed that aspect of it.

I do remember the Legionaires Disease on the Horizon! Are we showing our age?

Edited by antsnanny