Dinner Attire

axel26

For those who have sailed on O ships before, could someone please provide some information on what is considered elegant resort casual wear for both men and women (for dinner).

Thanks...Brandon

For those who have sailed on O ships before, could someone please provide some information on what is considered elegant resort casual wear for both men and women (for dinner).

Thanks...Brandon

This is a subject that has been discussed here extensively.

Kindly use your search button on this board and search for Dress code and other similar topics.

You will find more info on the subject than you ever wished to read :D

Paul, I suggested a search the other day and got deleted for doing so. ;-(

OP - There is a thread entitled "Riviera Dining" on this page which has switched to bring a dress code discussion. Within it is a link to a recent, lengthy discussion of the subject. Hope this helps!

My DH is a clothes horse, so he wants to wear a nice shirt with an open collar and a sport jacket. However, elegant would be, in OUR opinion only, a very nice long sleeve shirt, and it can be with an open collar. An attractive color--just in our opinion...and a nice pair of slacks. Things are different with different folks. Don't be detracted, but do look ATTRACTIVE. There are many other down dressed things that are going to fly, but it is nice to be attractive.

I think women skate by...in my opinion....they can wear a nice pair of slacks, that is nice...with some kind of a sparkly top (see Chicos). Or they can wear a longish skirt and a nice blouse or a "little black dress". Looking attractive is the answer.

Instead of referring you to other places, I'll simply post my experience on our one Oceania cruise (with another one coming up in November:-)

Men generally wear slacks and a button down shirt (short or long sleeved) at dinner. Some men wear a jacket at the specialty restaurants but it is not required. Women also wear pants and a top and sometimes dress it up for the specialty restaurants. We saw quite a few dresses (including sundresses) in the evening. It is really easy to feel comfortable on Oceania.

There are some that prefer to dress as relaxed as possible. Dress jeans are allowed in the evening. Also, ultra casual dress is apparently permitted in the Terrace Café (this, unfortunately, includes shorts). Can you tell that I prefer the manner of dressed described in the previous paragraph;)

Have a great cruise!

I'm pondering the definition of "elegant".

Because I don't really think of the dinner attire on Oceania ships as necessarily being "elegant". Perhaps I define elegant attire as being more formal than "country club casual".

I do understand newcomers to Oceania being puzzled by the term (country club casual) because I was never sure what it meant either.

I find that Travel Smith has a number of outfits that qualify as being attractive without being formal.

Mura

I'm pondering the definition of "elegant".

Because I don't really think of the dinner attire on Oceania ships as necessarily being "elegant". Perhaps I define elegant attire as being more formal than "country club casual".

I do understand newcomers to Oceania being puzzled by the term (country club casual) because I was never sure what it meant either.

I find that Travel Smith has a number of outfits that qualify as being attractive without being formal.

Mura

i wore khakis, button down shirt and a jacket with no tie and i felt right at home...the jacket came in handy because sometimes the restaurant was a little on the chilly side at first (before the wine started flowing!).

I have never been on a cruise, outside of a bareboot sailboat, to the Carribe. I understand they are more casual than most other cruises, but I can't speak from experience on those cruises. My experience elsewhere has been that blue jeans are almost never worn by the gentlemen, and only occasionally by predominately younger women (as they exist on O cruises). Those men that typically wear jeans seem to wear them on all occasions as if that is all they brought. :confused: I have rarely seen any of the gentlemen, that wear jeans, wear ones that would be considered either classy or elegant, that typically left to the women. However, some may consider Lee's comfort fit, Levi's 504s, or other similar brands and styles classy, I don't.

Jackets, while not required, are often worn by men in the specialty restaurants. In the La Reserve, it has been my experience that the large majority of men wear a jacket, at least through the early part of the event.

I believe an excellent summary of typical clothing has been addressed above.

I have never been on a cruise, outside of a bareboot sailboat, to the Carribe. I understand they are more casual than most other cruises, but I can't speak from experience on those cruises. My experience elsewhere has been that blue jeans are almost never worn by the gentlemen, and only occasionally by predominately younger women (as they exist on O cruises). Those men that typically wear jeans seem to wear them on all occasions as if that is all they brought. :confused: I have rarely seen any of the gentlemen, that wear jeans, wear ones that would be considered either classy or elegant, that typically left to the women. However, some may consider Lee's comfort fit, Levi's 504s, or other similar brands and styles classy, I don't.

Jackets, while not required, are often worn by men in the specialty restaurants. In the La Reserve, it has been my experience that the large majority of men wear a jacket, at least through the early part of the event.

I believe an excellent summary of typical clothing has been addressed above.

You will see plenty of jeans on O -- just not much in the Specialties or the GDR. If you are eating in the buffet, you will see many people of all ages in jeans. Jeans are now allowed in those other venues but I am not sure how many cruisers are wearing "elegant" jeans."

There have been some "nauseating" LOL threads on what constitutes "elegant" jeans. Best advice IMO is to use good judgment. Most people worry too much about what to wear.

Laraine;

I was excluding the Terrace in my comments. There shorts, jeans, and other casual attire is commonly worn at dinner. That is O's venue for the casual evening. My comments were directed toward the GDR and the specialties.

I hesitate to enter this discussion since it really has been beaten to death but on the chance that the OP has not done a search let me offer my observations based on 6 Oceania cruises.

The above posters have not mentioned that many men (maybe 30-40%) wear golf shirts rather than traditional button down shirts. These can be laundered and worn without ironing and also are easy to pack. In my opinion these are as "dressy" as a short sleeve button down shirt. I have also noted that men wearing jackets are less prevalent that mentioned above and seem to be declining. I have barely noticed them in the GDR and see perhaps a quarter to a third of men wearing jackets in the specialty restaurants. Docker type khakis are as prevalent as traditions dress slacks.

Generally men have developed a "dressy casual" style that is comfortable for them (and acceptable to their wives;)) that will easily meet Oceania's standards. I have met and dined with guys who only felt comfortable wearing a tie and a jacket and others who favored Hawaiian shirts and sandals (with khakis :D). To each his own.

Robbie

Laraine;

I was excluding the Terrace in my comments. There shorts, jeans, and other casual attire is commonly worn at dinner. That is O's venue for the casual evening. My comments were directed toward the GDR and the specialties.

We did see a couple of men wearing shorts in the MDR at dinner on the one night we were there...not a big deal to us although I know it is a hot-button issue for a lot of folks.

I wear what my wife tells me to wear anyway.

She did admit that I had been right when I told her the dress code on Oceania would be more casual than she expected.

I hesitate to enter this discussion since it really has been beaten to death but on the chance that the OP has not done a search let me offer my observations based on 6 Oceania cruises.

The above posters have not mentioned that many men (maybe 30-40%) wear golf shirts rather than traditional button down shirts. These can be laundered and worn without ironing and also are easy to pack. In my opinion these are as "dressy" as a short sleeve button down shirt. I have also noted that men wearing jackets are less prevalent that mentioned above and seem to be declining. I have barely noticed them in the GDR and see perhaps a quarter to a third of men wearing jackets in the specialty restaurants. Docker type khakis are as prevalent as traditions dress slacks.

Generally men have developed a "dressy casual" style that is comfortable for them (and acceptable to their wives;)) that will easily meet Oceania's standards. I have met and dined with guys who only felt comfortable wearing a tie and a jacket and others who favored Hawaiian shirts and sandals (with khakis :D). To each his own.

Robbie

I agree completely with your observations -- especially the part about wife approval. ;)

I will email you privately about Seattle.

Robbie

Another person in agreement -- there is something called "search this forum"

The most recent thread less than a month ago....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014445&highlight=dress+code

I got deleted and censured for suggesting that someone do a search. Yes, that annoyed me. [emoji16]

It's in the guidelines.

I guess the moderators feel it is "unwelcoming" to suggest a search -- particularly if it is someone new to CC or to a particular line. I can see the logic in that. There are some people who have difficulty negotiating the site, find the right place to post -- a search might be daunting.

One way to handle it is to do the search yourself and attach the link.

It's in the guidelines.

I guess the moderators feel it is "unwelcoming" to suggest a search -- particularly if it is someone new to CC or to a particular line. I can see the logic in that. There are some people who have difficulty negotiating the site, find the right place to post -- a search might be daunting.

One way to handle it is to do the search yourself and attach the link.

I subsequently did.

I doubt that. Dress code threads are a forum tradition!!! [emoji6]

As long as we are keeping in with the forum traditions, shall we discuss smoking policy next? :D

Edited by Paulchili

I doubt that. Dress code threads are a forum tradition!!! [emoji6]

You know they never were on the O boards until recently when the discussion suddenly heated up with regard to "elegant" "dressy" jeans.

The Celebrity boards are a riot with respect to the debate over what you may (or may not) wear on formal nights. If the discussion were in a cafeteria there would be food fights.

It's pretty much anything sensible goes on O. Most veteran O cruisers do not seem to care much about what others do as long as it does not affect their cruise. Does not seem to be much to talk about. I am not sure why this has become a hot button issue but I for one hope the tradition ends.

As long as we are keeping in with the forum traditions, shall we discuss smoking policy next? :D

Now you're talking! And let's also weigh the value of the drinks packages! Shore excursions! And what kinds of sparkling wine/champagne are available/included!!!!!

Lol. Just joking.

My experience elsewhere... men that typically wear jeans seem to wear them on all occasions as if that is all they brought.

Do you take a nightly inventory of what others are wearing? ROFL

I mean, I will sometimes recognize people I've seen earlier in a cruise, but I would be hard pressed to remember what they were wearing from one night to the next.