Where have they all gone?

After having a great time on the Jewel in the Caribbean this year we fancied a Radiance Class ship in the Med next year preferably Greek Isles

But they all seem to be skipping the Med and I can only find Vision Class [Too small i think] or Oasis Class [Too Big i think]

WHY!!!!

Don't prevent yourself from trying a smaller Vision class. We just experienced one of our best cruises ever on the Legend transatlantic (Vision class).

Also, the med is very port intensive which means you will be off the ship quite a bit....

I would have no hesitation booking a Vision class ship for the Med. We were on Legend for 13 days last year and loved the ship and crew.

It just looked so much smaller than the Jewel and got me worried

Vision is not that much different that Jewel. Jewel is around 50 feet longer and carries less than 100 more guests.

I too love radiance class, but bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. Besides on a med cruise you'll be in port most of the time. I would definitely give the Vision (or Vision class) a chance.

Ok guys thanks for your thoughts

Would still like the Radiance Class but hey ho

I know exactly how you feel. I wish royal would build more Radiance (or Radiance like) ships. There's only so many places the 4 Radiance ships can be in the world. I'm surprised they haven't shipped them all off to China yet.

Here's another vote for the Vision class ships. We loved Rhapsody the first time we sailed on her, and she still is one of our favorites, having sailed aboard her twice more after that. Splendour also was a lovely ship.

I do agree with the others that the Radiance class ships are the most beautiful in the fleet.

D

Well I'm going to disagree with the votes for Vision class. We sailed Splendour out of Venice last year on a Greek isles cruise. Never again. Worst cruise we ever had. Service was shocking, rude and downright dismissive. Worst experience of MTD ever. Prebooked table for 2 for 8:30 pm nightly. Told on 1st night, not possible must change to 9pm for every night or sit with others. Basically, take it or leave it. MDR breakfast, want a table for 2, 'wait in the centrum, I'll find a table when I can' said the door host.

Park cafe 'May I have some potato chips please?' 'here, catch!'

Guest services 'we're closed' err 'why?', 'we're having a staff meeting, come back later'.

Diamond concierge 'hello' but I'm going to sit at my desk every night and ignore you.

Viking Crown views, err where are they now the best views are taken by Izumi?

Want to take the elevators to the Viking Crown (the only ones that go there)? Oh sorry out of action because of a show in the Centrum, take the stairs. Want to come back down, show still on, take the stairs.

Great ports, but too many service issues to get me back on that ship. Greek isles cruise? Off we go to Celebrity.

Edited by peteukmcr

Ok guys thanks for your thoughts

Would still like the Radiance Class but hey ho

Yep, not appealing to us to do the Med next year on Vision. Going on Serenade Med. B2B this Fall but that is as small as we want to go.

Many like the smaller ships and many like the bigger ones.......we like the bigger ones.:)

Edited by CVU

Well I'm going to disagree with the votes for Vision class. We sailed Splendour out of Venice last year on a Greek isles cruise. Never again. Worst cruise we ever had. Service was shocking, rude and downright dismissive. Worst experience of MTD ever. Prebooked table for 2 for 8:30 pm nightly. Told on 1st night, not possible must change to 9pm for every night or sit with others. Basically, take it or leave it. MDR breakfast, want a table for 2, 'wait in the centrum, I'll find a table when I can' said the door host.

Park cafe 'May I have some potato chips please?' 'here, catch!'

Guest services 'we're closed' err 'why?', 'we're having a staff meeting, come back later'.

Diamond concierge 'hello' but I'm going to sit at my desk every night and ignore you.

Viking Crown views, err where are they now the best views are taken by Izumi?

Want to take the elevators to the Viking Crown (the only ones that go there)? Oh sorry out of action because of a show in the Centrum, take the stairs. Want to come back down, show still on, take the stairs.

Great ports, but too many service issues to get me back on that ship. Greek isles cruise? Off we go to Celebrity.

Sounds like most of those issues were related to staff and service, not the class of ship.

Sounds like most of those issues were related to staff and service, not the class of ship.
Very true, but what I omitted to say was that IMHO the Vision class of ship is too small to have had all the additions added during revitalization like Izumi, Chops Grille (which takes up more of the Viking Crown too), Park Cafe in the Solarium etc.

Just check the sq. footage of the rooms you might be looking at...they are smaller! Just be aware, and have the deck plans in front of you!

A Caribbean cruise has a totally different "feel" than a Med. cruise, or Alaskan, etc.....unless you've "been there, done that", you will be spending most of your time sightseeing OFF the ship! Whereas, on a Caribbean cruise, it's all about relaxing, partying and activities...not so much sightseeing....all of the islands are more similar than different for the majority of folks!

We have been on all but one of the Vision class ships. Just got off the Legend this past February. Only had one complaint about it and that was the size of the gym( extremely small). Loved hanging out on the large deck at the back of the ship. We didn't find the new restaurants (Izumi or Chops) being a problem where they where located. The view was great. On our particular cruise the Viking lounge was not very busy anytime we where there.

A few years back we were on the Splendour out of Venice. This was our favourite cruise yet. It was very port intensive and had no issues with the ship. Had a wonderful time. Would do those particular stops again in a heartbeat.

I would say that if you where travelling with children you may not find enough things to keep them entertained as you may find on a larger ship.

I do like the Radiance class ships though they are so bright with all the glass.

When we plan a cruise we look for the port of departure (have we been here yet) so we can tour the area before or after the cruise and try not to do the same ship twice. We are doing the Serenade for the 2nd time next Feb but the last time was before it was refurbished.

Have not done anything bigger than the Voyager class. Do plan to do a larger ship, maybe next time.

Pretty happy we are on the Radiance class Serenade this Oct/14 for the 9 night Greek Isles cruise. This is truly a cruise I want to be able to look outside all the time during my waking hours, and nothing beats the Radiance ships for that.

But we sailed last Feb on the Legend, and really liked that ship too. Visibility is pretty good from inside the ship, although gawd we missed the outdoor Windjammer. But a really nice ship, easy to get around and to understand the layout.

For me Med cruises are not so much about the ship. The ports are so compelling that I get back at the end of every day exhausted. I just want a good meal, a coupla drinks, and then it's bye-bye. Repeat, next day.

One good thing about these smaller ships in the Med is fewer pax trying to get off. That's a benefit IMO.

Having thought about this though, inferior service can impact your cruise and make you question whether it is a symptom of the smaller ship. However, regardless the 'Gold Anchor' service should be consistent across the whole fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

too cold

It will depend on when you cruise, Check out the average temps for the ports involved and you might change your opinion. With the climate controlled solaria on Radiance ships, cooler weather might be less of a factor, at least when you are on board. We did a Baltic cruise last August and the temperatures were quite warm, especially in Russia.