Not the same boats AGAIN!

Theynine

Been cruising out of NYC the past ten years.

This year we went out of Baltimore.

Why?

SAME BOATS OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

I recall taking the Carnival Miracle twice.

And halfway through the cruise said,

" This show is familiar."

And upon inquiring discovered that a ship leases the same shows

for years!

No. I dont want to ride the Norwegian Gem again.

They finally brought in the BREAKAWAY,

but that pretty much runs back and forth to Bermuda.

Would be nice if the cruise companies would mix it up more often.

Not sure why they keep the same ships in the same area for so long.

By the way,

Baltimore knows how to get you on and off a ship better than NYC.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Your rant, however reasoned, will fall on deaf ears. For whenever any line swaps out ships/homeports/itineraries they are bombarded with "I'm leaving my favorite cruise line" threats from their uber-elite loyalty clubbers who book the same cabin on the same ship from the same port doing the same itinerary every year. And expect the identical menus and entertainment schedule as well. The cruise industry would stave without new first timers--but it is the ultra-repeaters who keep it truly well fed, and they are serious creatures of habit.

Why?

for years!

By the way,

Sorry, No sympathy from here...I stopped counting at 15...the number of ships doing some sort of itinerary out of NY/NJ in the next 18months...while Baltimore (closest port to me) has but 3 (1 of those being a one-time stop/trip)

They may be some of the same ships out of NY...but you sure have a wide variety to choose from !!:):)

Enjoy

Woody

OP states:

Why?

I ask why cruise out of the same port only for 10 years?

NYC has limited itineraries.

With a little travel ,there is a whole world of ships & itineraries out there . Why limit yourself ?

If the ships continue to sail full every time there is no incentive to change anything. If they lose passengers or start having a problem, you will quickly see a change. The OP has Boston, NY, NJ and Baltimore within easy reach. Many would love to have that many choices!!

At least there is some variety out of NY/NJ April to Oct, but in the winter months its slim picken's. We went on RCI (same ship, same itinerary 3 yrs in a row) went on NCL last year and will NEVER go on NCL again! We sailed on the "Noordam" a couple of years, but HAL pulled it out of NYC 5 or 6 yrs ago. We'd REALLY like to see more options for winter cruises out of NY/NJ, but that request definitely has fallen on deaf ears. For this past winter (and already for next) we had to bite the bullet and fly to Fl for a winter Caribbean cruise.

Why?

for years!

By the way,

That is one of the major reasons many of us put up with air travel to get to other ports.

That is the best solution to your displeasure.

Try Explorer of the Seas or Celebrity Summit out of Cape Liberty NJ. We've had many wonderful cruises on these ships. And, RCI is bringing their newest ship Quantum to Cape Liberty, followed by Liberty of the Seas next summer.

Maybe it's time to drive or fly to other ports. :)

This doesn't work either. We sailed the Elation twice out of Galveston and once each out of Miami and Mobile. What ticked me off was the changes that they made when the ship went into dry dock. There was a pair of Hot Tubs by the gym that they removed. Few people knew about them so you could usually have them to yourself.:D

Edited by clackey

To Clakey:

I fail to see what your response has to do with my suggestion to fly to a different port.

Sorry if you were not pleased with the changes they made on your particular ship, but one needs to do good research, planning, join your roll call, and find out about your ship and ports and all that stuff.

I have never been disappointed once. So far we have sailed out of Miami, NY (Manhattan and Brooklyn), NJ Cape Liberty, Baltimore, Norfolk, Jacksonville, San Juan, Rome, and soon Boston.

There are countless options of ports and itineraries to choose from.

To Clakey:

<snip>

. So far we have sailed out of Miami, NY (Manhattan and Brooklyn), NJ Cape Liberty, Baltimore, Norfolk, Jacksonville, San Juan, Rome, and soon Boston.

There are countless options of ports and itineraries to choose from.

There is a whole great big wide world full of ports from which to sail into and out of. At some point, if one wishes to travel, they decide how badly they want more variety, more experiences and try to see if they can expand their comfort zone. If they can, wonderful. If they cannot, the rest of us should try to understand that.

Guest maddycat
At least there is some variety out of NY/NJ April to Oct, but in the winter months its slim picken's. We went on RCI (same ship, same itinerary 3 yrs in a row) went on NCL last year and will NEVER go on NCL again! We sailed on the "Noordam" a couple of years, but HAL pulled it out of NYC 5 or 6 yrs ago. We'd REALLY like to see more options for winter cruises out of NY/NJ, but that request definitely has fallen on deaf ears. For this past winter (and already for next) we had to bite the bullet and fly to Fl for a winter Caribbean cruise.

Please tell me why you won't sail NCL again. I'm asking because we sailed NCL twice (2007 and 2008), two different ships, two different itineraries. We won't sail with them ever again. We weren't happy with the service, attitude of the crew and the MDR/buffet food. The specialty restauants were OK. Yet, when we were on an RCI cruise last month we met a couple who were taking their first RCI cruise and they were not happy with RCI. They prefer NCL.

Edited by maddycat

DO NOT COMPLAIN!!!!

Until you have lived on the West Coast for the past few years. For a while we only had one Carnival ship doing three and four day cruises.

With all the cruise lines, ships and itineraries out there, why limit yourself?

We did do the same itinerary on the same line our last three cruises, and did see some of the same shows, but we really enjoy the way Princess does Hawaiian.:) But we've already been to Alaska, the Caribbean, the Mexican Rivera, and Baja California (the short cruises that Sadie mentioned above as those are convenient for Angelenos, but means Ensenada:rolleyes::eek:).

We do have some interesting cruises on our "dream list" such as South America, Australia, Baltic...and all three would mean airfares that cost more than the cruise. So we'll see how our finances work out after hubby retires (this year) and the girl starts college (the year after next). Might be a while before we do them, but in the meantime, if we were unhappy with a cruise, we'll look elsewhere for the next one.

Even if you don't want to fly, you can take the train to many other embarkation ports and try something new.

I've cruised out of nyc and I did enjoy not having to deal with the usual headache at the airport.

That being said, unfortunetly the cruise took 2 days to get down to the carribean. So a 7 day cruise only stopped in three ports.

It's nice to change things up. I've been on 3 carnival cruises and I hate to say by the 3rd cruise I knew what to expect out of the cruise directors. It was like they were reading from a script. Even the menu in the MDR was the same.

Although I do enjoy the bagel lox and cream cheese that is offered for breakfast from room service.

If you want change you have to make the first move.

Must be nice to have all those options out of the NYC/NJ/Baltimore area. We always have to fly to the port. The nearest is San Diego/LA. and then we get to only go to Mexico. I can drive to Mexico in an hour. Why drive 8 hours to take a day on a cruise ship to get Mexico? And usually only on the 3 or 4 day booze cruises. Or we can take two weeks, (hard to do while still working) and cruise to Hawaii.

We will still fly to ports and choose the ships and itineraries that interest us. I just wish there were more choices for the West Coast.