Cairns or Port Douglas?

We are booked on the Celebrity Solstice 11/27/14 sailing (although it does not sail until the 28th) out of Sydney. We will be flying into Cairns arriving on the 24th with a flight to Sydney on the 27th. We are new to this part of the world. We would like to snorkel the GBR and see the rainforest. Is this something we can do from Cairns or should we stay in Port Douglas for the 3 nights? I understand Port Douglas is about an hour from Cairns and we would be willing to rent a car if that would make any difference. We are just looking for some experienced Australia travelers insight.

Thanks!

Do Port Douglas for convenience. It will be a bit more expensive but closer to the tourist boats going to the reef. Personally, we choose Palm cove and stay in the Novotel there - halfway between cairns and Port Douglas and convenient for the mountains, Australia Zoo, markets and so on...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We love Port Douglas. It's less touristy than Cairns but has more shops and restaurants than Palm Cove.

The beach at Port Douglas has no buildings overlooking it and is very long and flat, so great for walking.

The outer reef is about two hours from Port Douglas. I recommend Wavelength http://www.wavelength.com.au/ for that trip. It can be a bit rough getting out to the outer reef though. An alternative is a trip to the Low Isles, quite close to Port Douglas. I recommend Sailaway for this. http://www.sailawayportdouglas.com/Low_Isles_Port_Douglas.htm

Port Douglas is the closest to the Daintree Rainforest and the tours all do pick ups at all the accommodation places.

We usually stay here http://portdouglasmeridian.com/ which are apartments, one block from the main shopping street and two blocks from the beach. They are lovely, quiet apartments, with a heated pool. No children under 16 allowed. However if you are travelling with children http://www.caymanvillas.com.au/ just across the road is operated by the same people.

We usually just take the shuttle bus to Port Douglas. Once there you really don't need a car especially if you stay close to the main street. The coast road is narrow and windy in parts although it is a pleasant drive.

There are some excellent restaurants in Port Douglas, from casual pizza and pasta, to fine dining.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Do Port Douglas for convenience. It will be a bit more expensive but closer to the tourist boats going to the reef. Personally, we choose Palm cove and stay in the Novotel there - halfway between cairns and Port Douglas and convenient for the mountains, Australia Zoo, ...markets and so on

I thought Australia Zoo was on the Sunshine Coast?

Have they got another zoo up there?

The 'Cairns Tropical Zoo' is located on the main highway just before Palm Cove - nowhere near the Sunshine Coast. If seeing animals / Crocodiles is your thing then you can also visit Hartley Creek Crocodile Farm which is about half way between Cairns and Port Douglas if you have a hire car. There is also the Rainforest Habitat at Port Douglas which is smaller.

For the reef and rainforest there is really no difference between Cairns and Port Douglas. Both have wharves fairly central to everything. Boats from both go out to different areas of the reef. Rainforest tours usually go north of Port Douglas to the Daintree - these can be accessed just as easily from Cairns.

Edited by Lotsasmiles

Yes, you are absolutely right! I am. Using up my Brisbane and Cairns! Never mind that I go to both annually but live in the Northern Hemisphere - my ageing brain.

We are on Compagnie du Ponant's L'Austral in December, sailing from Cairns down to Sydney.

If it helps, the prefered method we chose was - We are flying up to Cairns and hiring a car to drive up and stay in Port Douglas for 3 nights before our cruise.

Lol - that is why I got it wrong, I don't realise that I am upside down! Anyway, I am actually your arch enemy...a kiwi by nationality (expat at the mo.)

Lol - that is why I got it wrong, I don't realise that I am upside down! Anyway, I am actually your arch enemy...a kiwi by nationality (expat at the mo.)

A Kiwi! You're our best buddies, which is why we enjoy teasing you so much.

Just don't let anyone else try.

I was in a crowded lift, on a ship, with a bunch of Aussies and Kiwis teasing each other (like this lift is for Aussies only), when a loud American voice said, "I get it. You really like each other!" :)

A Kiwi! You're our best buddies, which is why we enjoy teasing you so much.

Just don't let anyone else try.

I was in a crowded lift, on a ship, with a bunch of Aussies and Kiwis teasing each other (like this lift is for Aussies only), when a loud American voice said, "I get it. You really like each other!" :)

Yes, sometimes it looks/sounds like siblings ribbing and fighting each other.:D

Hahaha - SNAP !!!! :D another K 1 W 1 here ....

from the northern hemispher it looks like 1 M 1 K.:p

from the northern hemispher it looks like 1 M 1 K.:p

Ha ha - BRILLIANT!:D

For the OP: - We stopped in both Port Douglas and Cairns on our last cruise (March 2013) and we personally loved Port Douglas. The beach is gorgeous and to the left of it you can walk up to a beautiful lookout and then carry on down past lovely homes back into the main centre. We really got the feel for this lovely place.

I have been to Palm Cove before many years ago and really liked it there too.

Edited by Embrace

I suggest you hire a car and stay in Port Douglas. A car will allow you to do your own day tour into the World Heritage forest as far as Cape Tribulation. You can go to one of the wildlife parks south of Port Douglas. If you want to go on the skyrail to Kuranda, you can drive to the start of it which is on the northern outskirts of Cairns. I also suggest going to Tjapukui Aboriginal Centre which is very close to the Skyrail (on the coastal highway).

... Cairns. I also suggest going to Tjapukui Aboriginal Centre which is very close to the Skyrail (on the coastal highway).

Oh yes, we went to Tjapukui Aboriginal Centre in Cairns as we wanted to experience a little of the aboriginal culture and really enjoyed the time there. Price is very reasonable too.

I suggest you hire a car and stay in Port Douglas. A car will allow you to do your own day tour into the World Heritage forest as far as Cape Tribulation. You can go to one of the wildlife parks south of Port Douglas. If you want to go on the skyrail to Kuranda, you can drive to the start of it which is on the northern outskirts of Cairns. I also suggest going to Tjapukui Aboriginal Centre which is very close to the Skyrail (on the coastal highway).

Whilst your suggestion is a good one, Aus Traveller, especially for those visiting the area for several days, I feel I must speak against it in this case.

The OP is from the US and is, presumably, flying direct into Cairns from the US. They will be tired and jetlagged after that flight. They are only in the area for two full days, plus the days they travel to and from, and want to do a reef trip on one of those days. They also want to see the rainforest and it would be far more sensible for them to do a tour for this also. By using the shuttle to Port Douglas and doing tours they will not have to cope with driving on the wrong side of the road (to them) on narrow Aussie roads. Also they will learn more about the area on a tour than doing it themselves. The jetlag will take a few days to subside and, if they get the sleepies during their tours, they can just sit back and have a little snooze.

Whilst your suggestion is a good one, Aus Traveller, especially for those visiting the area for several days, I feel I must speak against it in this case.

The OP is from the US and is, presumably, flying direct into Cairns from the US. They will be tired and jetlagged after that flight. They are only in the area for two full days, plus the days they travel to and from, and want to do a reef trip on one of those days. They also want to see the rainforest and it would be far more sensible for them to do a tour for this also. By using the shuttle to Port Douglas and doing tours they will not have to cope with driving on the wrong side of the road (to them) on narrow Aussie roads. Also they will learn more about the area on a tour than doing it themselves. The jetlag will take a few days to subside and, if they get the sleepies during their tours, they can just sit back and have a little snooze.

I see your point when they only have two days. :)

Better to be sensible and safe ;)

We love the area, have done several trips over the years and are booked to go to Port Douglas again in September. One year we hired a car, spent a few days in Cairns so we could see stuff we usually missed when we went straight to Port Douglas, then went up through the hinterland to Cooktown. We weren't brave enough to do the 4WD coast road though. I really enjoyed that trip. Black Mountain was spooky, especially the way it just appeared out of nowhere, so different from the landscape around it. We enjoyed our short stay in Cooktown too. Hope it wasn't too badly damaged in the last cyclone.

I agree with not having to drive for any number of reasons, As I mentioned, 'For the Daintree Forest, Port D is definitely the go. There are plenty of reasonably priced tours for those who do not wish to drive themselves.'

It will be slightly more expensive than doing it on your own but is safer, easier, a better experience and hassle free.:D