Did I Make A Mistake Booking Getaway?

Shadow205

I have read way to much, to many reviews & to many posts. I usually enjoy doing that leading up to a trip or cruise. I like to know as much as possible about the ship, port or location of our trip. This time, what I have read has made me very uncomfortable about our upcoming cruise on GA. If it were possible I would cancel the cruise and rebook on another ship. I hope that I am wrong, but I don't think I made the right choice this time. Don't get me wrong, I know there are probably many more people with positive things to say than negative. The problem is the negative things that I have read are biggies for me. I thought that I did my homework on picking the GA but there are some very important issues that I missed. I agree with many posters that it seems that Norwegian is charging extra for to many things. The spa(not services), The Vibe, Shows, So many Specialty restaurants. I know that food is a matter of personal taste but so many people complaining of the decline in the MDR's. We sailed with Norwegian a few times right after Freestyle started and loved the flexibility. This cruise I am frazzled trying to arrange reservations for shows and restaurants. I am concerned about the size of the area around the main pool, I don't like body to body people. I appreciate not having someone right in my face. I read several reviews saying that you have a hard time maneuvering between chairs just to get to yours. The next thing is the lay out of the children's pool. What were they thinking when they didn't make space around the pool for the parents to be able to relax while keeping a close eye on their children swimming? While I am on the subject of children, that is another problem that I am having. I didn't realize that there was no childcare of any kind for under 3 years old. I know, my fault for not checking closer. A couple traveling with us will have their 18 month old grandchild with them. They were looking forward to being able to go to diner together(without baby). We will step in and care for the child so that they will be able to. The kids splash pool will be a tease for the little guy since he won' t be able to get in it. I could go on but I have bothered everyone enough with my pity party. My advice to anyone planning a cruise is to check into every detail that is important to you(I thought I did) and never assume anything. Example: I assumed that if a stateroom could accommodate 4 people the balcony could too. We will enjoy ourselves and make the best of everything but more research next time.

I haven't read negative reviews for Getaway. Breakaway, yes, but not Getaway.

Unless you are a recluse, Vibe is a complete waste of money and not needed. There are more than enough deck chairs on the main pool deck, and the upper decks. If I didn't have a problem at spring break, I doubt anyone would have a problem. The staff walk around with fruit skewers, cold towels, and water spritzes. There was never a problem getting bar service. The food in the MDR was beyond good. Normally, the food is ok ... the quality, presentation, portions, and taste far exceeded our expectations on the Getaway. There is no reason to pay extra for a speciality. In fact, the specialities are on par with chain restaurants. We do enjoy Cagneys, but no more than Outback, usually. They have also changed the quality of food at Cagneys, and it was better this time around, but definitely not a necessity.

I am probably in the minority, but I like the pool layout. There are far too many parents who sit and lounge while their small kids are swimming - either talking, reading, or doing "whatever" other than watching their kids. I've seen it too many times. I can't help but think this was NCL's way of making it stop, but who knows. Mine are older teens now. Regardless, not much you can do about that. As for the under 3 group, yes, that is correct. No childcare or babysitting for that agre group. In fact, the more I read this, I agree with you. You should definitely switch cruise lines. It sounds like Disney may be more suited for you and the kid issue! Edited - I see you sail in 16 days, so switching cruises is not an option. I'm sure you will have a nice time.

Edited by SissasMomE

I feel sorry for the OP. Too much mention of what's not there versus what's actually available. I'm a Royal Caribbean fan and I decided to give NCL a chance. I was glad that I did and had a great time on the Getaway. But then again, I'm more interested in having fun rather than focusing on the negatives. I take it that the OP will be back on this forum after the cruise to explain what an awful time they had. Hope I'm wrong!

Sorry to see you stressing over your upcoming cruise. If it's any comfort, we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Getaway. We found the food to be very good, and didn't experience any overcrowding issues. I know it's too late for this advice, but for others cruising with very young ones, I believe only Disney, Royal Caribbean, & Celebrity have Daycare/Babysitting for little ones younger than two.

Getaway is NCL's highest rated ship on cruise critic. Over 80% approve. I have read NO negative reviews. The lowest reviews are fair at best and even those are rare.

If you are not happy with so much to offer from a ship, maybe you should think about planning a different kind of vacation. If you have negative thoughts about Getaway or cruising, it is the start of a bad experience. Cruising is about having fun and not sweating the small stuff. But it is NOT for everyone for sure. The issues you mention would be similar on every ship and every cruise line.

IMHO when passengers start to re-think a million reasons not to cruise it is an omen.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted if your keep your cruise.

Edited by david_sobe

We will enjoy ourselves and make the best of everything but more research next time.

Yes, you have made a very BIG MISTAKE! You have decided to dislike the cruise even before you step on-board. That's not a great way to start, is it?;)

Getaway and Breakaway are AMAZING floating resorts, there are only a few ships as impressive.

However, NCL like many, are mass market cruise lines and have all the advantages which that brings and the disadvantages too. Of course there's a lot of people on-board, of course the pool and decks get busy, of course there are surcharges. If you really don't like those aspects of the experience, best pick Regent, Crystal or Seaborne and pay twice as much!

What you do get with Getaway is an impressive choice of entertainment and dining, with unparalleled flexibility.

Stop worrying and go with an open mind - ENJOY!

(I bet that this will not be your last cruise on Getaway!)

Edited by London-Calling

I have yet to sail either BA or GA, but I still hope to relieve at least a few of your concerns. I, too, was trepidacious about booking one of these ships after sailing on RCCL Allure (perfect cruise all the way around), but I now have almost zero concerns and am super excited about our upcoming cruise on BA. Let's look at a few of your concerns:

1) Negative reviews: as others have said GA has very few negative reviews. The BA started out roughly, but a lot of that you can chalk up to a new ship design with a new (& overwhelmed) crew. Most of the kinks seem to be worked out & the crew now seems to get rave reviews. Also, remember, 90% of people who have a bad time will post a negative review, but only 10% of people who have a fabulous time will take the time to post a positive review. Reviews are always skewed no matter what the subject matter. Don't let the reviews scare you.

2) Nickel & Diming: Most of the shows are free, only the Illusionarium & possibly a mystery dinner/lunch type entertainment will upcharge. NCL has really gone above and beyond with entertainment on theses ships...vast majority of it free. The Vibe is small, only a small area on the ship, and not necessary. Deck 16 all the way forward has quiet lounging areas. Also, Vibe is adults only, so the little guy wouldn't be allowed in anyway. If you want additional quiet spaces, the waterfront is usually quite empty and a wonderful feature absent on most ships. The spa is an upcharge on most ships...that would compare to most lines. Just saying that although there is a lot of things you COULD pay extra for, there is no reason to unless you want to. There is more than enough to keep you entertained otherwise.

Hope you have a great time! I think GA has a lot to offer!

Edited by Kenlorz

My advice is to not pay attention to reviews. I use to pay attention to reviews and would not sail NCL. I finally went on the Getaway in March and it was one the best ships I've ever been on. You have a lot of choices just do your homework and do what's important to you. We had the ultimate dining pkg and for us it was well worth the extra money. The shows and comedy club were fantastic. We also enjoyed being around a younger crowd. Also the magic show for which they charged extra was well worth the money. Also I've been on Princess celebrity and RCCL and if you want a decent meal you pay extra. Believe me the lines are going to be adding more costs down the road. RCCL new ship they copied NCL in the free style concept. A lot of customers are hung up on the perks they receive for sailing the same line and that's what's important for them. It makes them feel special. A lot of customers also like to think that they sail on the best line. I like them all. There more alike then different. Bottom line there all mass market lines. For some reason Celebrity has the most complainers I've ever been around and one of the reasons we don't sail them anymore. I don't think you will be disappointed, have a great time.

Just wanted to add that we will be on the same sailing as you and cannot wait! Only 2 weeks from this Saturday! Go with an open mind, don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy yourselves! We sure plan to! :)

Regarding the pools, for me at least, I don't consider cruising to be a vacation if you are into pools. I have only been on 3 cruises, but have not gotten into one pool on a ship. If you want a nice pool, pick a beautiful land resort that has the space to have one. Just my opinion ;)

For me, cruising is about disconnecting from work, wifi, etc. It is about enjoying the sea, entertainment and spending time with loved ones. Oh and of course, food. :). I'm not a picky eater, so it doesn't take too much to make me happy' especially if I have been dieting before the cruise. :)

I think that you will have a wonderful time. Don't look for problems, just enjoy yourselves. I've found that any trip I take is what I make of it. Whether or not I have a good time on vacation isn't up to the ship, the resort, etc. It's up to me.

I can absolutely guarantee that my trip on the Getaway in a few days is going to be a blast, because it's my decision.

Unless you are a recluse, Vibe is a complete waste of money and not needed.

I guess you can can't my wife and I recluses:D We both enjoyed the fact we never had to arrive at 6am to get a good seat, their were no screaming kids and we could actually relax. We found the pool deck of the BA to be a mad house. But thats just us. Thought it was the best $79 we ever spent of a cruise.

I agree with many posters that it seems that Norwegian is charging extra for to many things. The spa(not services), The Vibe, Shows, One show that costs, but it is also a dinner show. All the other shows are no charge. Any cruise ship I have been on has charged for the spa (if it had one) so I don't see your point in worrying over this. There are other places besides Vibe to sit, no need to pay for that.

So many Specialty restaurants. There are still many many FREE dining options on the Getaway, O'Sheehans, the Cuban Food area Tropicana, as well as the buffet, MDR's and whatever else I'm forgetting at the moment.

We sailed with Norwegian a few times right after Freestyle started and loved the flexibility. This cruise I am frazzled trying to arrange reservations for shows and restaurants. Why are you frazzeling yourself???!! You don't have to book ANYTHING beforehand. You can even get into the shows by queueing up about 15 minutes before show time and more than likely get in, its not a big deal. Why not wait until you are on board and can see the Dailies so you can plan things that you want to do without the stress of pre-booking.[/font COLOR]

Just calm down and be happy you're on vacation! :D

Edited by Sauer-kraut

I guess you can can't my wife and I recluses:D We both enjoyed the fact we never had to arrive at 6am to get a good seat, their were no screaming kids and we could actually relax. We found the pool deck of the BA to be a mad house. But thats just us. Thought it was the best $79 we ever spent of a cruise.

and that's ok! I hope I didn't insult you ... I didn't mean it like that. We are more of the "want to be in the middle of it all" people. It wouldn't appeal to us at all to be in Vibe, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. It looks beautiful!

you are letting yourself get overly worked up over small issues, instead of looking at the positive. Of course nothing is perfect, but from what I have read, the GA is as close to it as you will get. OK, so there are extra charges for things, how many other lines have you cruised in the past few years? I ask, because this has become the trend. I call it cruise A la carte. You pay for what you want and enjoy the free activities if you do not want to pay. The food, not outstanding, but certainly edible in the MDRs. The pool areas are crowded on all lines, NCL is no different. I could go on and on, but I will just say, go, stop stressing and remember, even if it turns out, this wasn't the perfect ship for you, a great time can still be had.

This is just a quick example: we sailed the Dawn last month. We had always wanted to try her as we have heard so many positive things about the ship: well, as it turned out, she wasn't our favorite, we may not ever said her again, I don't know. The ports were all ports we had visited many times and my husband fell, by the pool and seriously injured his arm. But guess what? We still thought it was one of the best cruises we have had in years. it is up to you to enjoy yourself.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think that I just became a little overwhelmed with details. I know that it is going to be an awesome cruise, haven't been on one yet that wasn't. I wasn't taking into consideration that though we have done our share of cruises on different lines it's been awhile and some things have changed.

Edited by Shadow205

I would agree that you should just relax. I mean, the very title of this thread, "Did I make a mistake booking Getaway?" just connotes a feeling of anxiety and negativity.

You'll be on vacation on an amazing ship. Any day at sea is better than a day spent working at home. Yes, there may be some slight issues. You just have to let it go. Let it go. Be one with the wind and sky. Don't let them see you cry.

Stop worrying so much and enjoy yourself. You haven't even left yet, and you're already expecting to have a terrible time. That's not good.

I haven't yet sailed the Getaway, but I have been on her sister ship, so I'll speak to that perspective

This time, what I have read has made me very uncomfortable about our upcoming cruise on GA. If it were possible I would cancel the cruise and rebook on another ship. I hope that I am wrong, but I don't think I made the right choice this time.

I agree with many posters that it seems that Norwegian is charging extra for to many things.

The spa(not services)I don't know of a single mainstream line that gives you spa access for free,

The Vibe There are plenty of other areas of child-free sundeck if you don't want to pay for it.

Shows only one has a charge, and that's because it's a dinner show.

So many Specialty restaurants. I know that food is a matter of personal taste but so many people complaining of the decline in the MDR's. You have the choice of 6 complimentary restaurants plus room service! The food on the Breakaway was fantastic compared to a few other cruises I've been on.

This cruise I am frazzled trying to arrange reservations for shows and restaurants.

I am concerned about the size of the area around the main pool, I don't like body to body people. I appreciate not having someone right in my face. I read several reviews saying that you have a hard time maneuvering between chairs just to get to yours. I didn't have to climb over anyone to get to my chair on the Breakaway- I can't imagine the Getaway being any different since the ships are identical

While I am on the subject of children, that is another problem that I am having. I didn't realize that there was no childcare of any kind for under 3 years old. I know, my fault for not checking closer. A couple traveling with us will have their 18 month old grandchild with them. They were looking forward to being able to go to diner together(without baby). We will step in and care for the child so that they will be able to. You will not find childcare for children under the age of 2 on NCL or Holland America, and only one ship in the Royal Caribbean fleet provides childcare options for children under 36 months. Carnival offers limited hours of childcare for children under 2.

The kids splash pool will be a tease for the little guy since he won' t be able to get in it. This would be the case for any child not fully potty trained on any cruise line except for Disney

I feel like if you subtract 6 months and substitute EPIC for GA, this exact thread has been repeated ad nauseum. Sad that ppl are already trashing a brand new ship and inciting such fear.

Maybe someone can hurry up and start an advance thread about why booking the ESCAPE was a mistake???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like if you subtract 6 months and substitute EPIC for GA, this exact thread has been repeated ad nauseum. Sad that ppl are already trashing a brand new ship and inciting such fear.

Maybe someone can hurry up and start an advance thread about why booking the ESCAPE was a mistake???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true: The only time I take a really negative review seriously is from a cruiser, familiar with a line and has had a bad experience. This goes for any line. someone who has cruised NCL, for instance a 1/2 dozen times, loves the line and yet returns from an NCL cruise and wasn't happy: I take their opinions more seriously. Most negatives are either, personal opinions and very subjective or are posted by cruisers that really have a favorite line, other than the one they are posting about and started the cruise with a negative attitude.

Very true: The only time I take a really negative review seriously is from a cruiser, familiar with a line and has had a bad experience. This goes for any line. someone who has cruised NCL, for instance a 1/2 dozen times, loves the line and yet returns from an NCL cruise and wasn't happy: I take their opinions more seriously. Most negatives are either, personal opinions and very subjective or are posted by cruisers that really have a favorite line, other than the one they are posting about and started the cruise with a negative attitude.

Ditto!! :D

I haven't done many cruises but I've learned a lot on these boards and 1 major thing is, don't take everything so seriously. Life is what you make it and so is your cruise.

I will add that, I sometimes feel ppl want to know so much about their upcoming cruise that there are very few surprises left. I love surprises :p

We're booked on the Getaway for September !!! I have 0 regrets...worries...or anxiety. Ok..maybe one regret...I'm looking forward to the cruise but since its the middle of September, that means by the time we cruise, summer will be over and winter will be knocking on our doors....again. Thats it! ! So excited!!

I have read way to much, to many reviews & to many posts. I usually enjoy doing that leading up to a trip or cruise. I like to know as much as possible about the ship, port or location of our trip. This time, what I have read has made me very uncomfortable about our upcoming cruise on GA. If it were possible I would cancel the cruise and rebook on another ship. I hope that I am wrong, but I don't think I made the right choice this time. Don't get me wrong, I know there are probably many more people with positive things to say than negative. The problem is the negative things that I have read are biggies for me. I thought that I did my homework on picking the GA but there are some very important issues that I missed. I agree with many posters that it seems that Norwegian is charging extra for to many things. The spa(not services), The Vibe, Shows, So many Specialty restaurants. I know that food is a matter of personal taste but so many people complaining of the decline in the MDR's. We sailed with Norwegian a few times right after Freestyle started and loved the flexibility. This cruise I am frazzled trying to arrange reservations for shows and restaurants. I am concerned about the size of the area around the main pool, I don't like body to body people. I appreciate not having someone right in my face. I read several reviews saying that you have a hard time maneuvering between chairs just to get to yours. The next thing is the lay out of the children's pool. What were they thinking when they didn't make space around the pool for the parents to be able to relax while keeping a close eye on their children swimming? While I am on the subject of children, that is another problem that I am having. I didn't realize that there was no childcare of any kind for under 3 years old. I know, my fault for not checking closer. A couple traveling with us will have their 18 month old grandchild with them. They were looking forward to being able to go to diner together(without baby). We will step in and care for the child so that they will be able to. The kids splash pool will be a tease for the little guy since he won' t be able to get in it. I could go on but I have bothered everyone enough with my pity party. My advice to anyone planning a cruise is to check into every detail that is important to you(I thought I did) and never assume anything. Example: I assumed that if a stateroom could accommodate 4 people the balcony could too. We will enjoy ourselves and make the best of everything but more research next time.

I feel the opposite of you. This will be only my third cruise ever and first time since 2007 on Carnival. I already know I am going to have a great time. Food, water slides, casino, ropes course, hanging out on different decks. At the very least for me, just hanging out on our regular old balcony watching the water go by will be enjoyable. I have zero expectations for anything on this ship except I am going to relax and enjoy my time away from the kids, the dogs, the house and work.

My opinion is that you are over thinking this entire cruise. Just take each day for what it is.