Slow Sea Princess

We have just been notified our 22 June 2014 Northern Explorer 16 night cruise Sea Princess itinerary has been changed. The highlight of my booking this cruise was the Port of Bali which now, due to one engine failure the ship is travelling at slower speed, this port has been replaced with Alotau (PNG), I don't wish to go there. Port Douglas has been replaced with Yorkeys Knob, an overnight in Broome..boring, and one hour less time cruising the Kimberley Coast. Only compensation $100on board credit, what a joke. I only booked this cruise because it was going to Bali, my first time there....pity we were only advised on Tuesday 3 June as to cancel I will lose 50% of my fare??very clever by Princess.

Welcome to Cruise critic.:D

It is a shame that they have changed the itinerary on you, that really sux. This is one of the big problems with these older ships that tend to be based in Australia. Any ship can break down, but as we all know the older something gets the more likely it may have issues. Unfortunately, it wouldn,t have made any difference when they told you as you were well and truely inside the 60-75 days prior and they only found out last month. Still very disappointing and $100 compensation is a bit poor.

Edited by MicCanberra

We have just been notified our 22 June 2014 Northern Explorer 16 night cruise Sea Princess itinerary has been changed. The highlight of my booking this cruise was the Port of Bali which now, due to one engine failure the ship is travelling at slower speed, this port has been replaced with Alotau (PNG), I don't wish to go there. Port Douglas has been replaced with Yorkeys Knob, an overnight in Broome..boring, and one hour less time cruising the Kimberley Coast. Only compensation $100on board credit, what a joke. I only booked this cruise because it was going to Bali, my first time there....pity we were only advised on Tuesday 3 June as to cancel I will lose 50% of my fare??very clever by Princess.

Interesting situation. You should be able to cancel as they have changed the conditions ,(part of which was the itinerary) from when you booked....

However they will probably argue that they have the right to change the ports of call at their discretion and according to circumstance.

Worth a phone call to them to check. The operator may not know ,but ask to speak a supevisor , if they can find one.:rolleyes:

if you have a princess book check out page 63 under ship & itinerary changes

it state if they have mechanical difficulites they can change the itinerary you will have the choice of

1. the new itinerary

2. an alternative cruise

3. cancelling the cruise for a full refund of your fare paid

so if you wish to cancel try and speak to a supervisor if need be

Hi all, this is making me nervous now. We are booked on the 26 nights cruise leaving Freo on 8th July. Had hoped the problems would be fixed by then, but if the cruise before is affected and it looks like we will be too. Lots of ports and a lot of sea on our cruise haven't heard anything from Princess about changes yet, so fingers still crossed.

Anyone know what the actual problem is? Is it something they can fix as they go. We were on Sun Princess one year and they were overhauling one of the engines and relying on the others without any problems.

This is one of the big problems with these older ships that tend to be based in Australia.

Yes and the Golden Princess that everyone here is raving about, is only 3 years younger than Sea Princess!

Yes I know but you mentioned "If you have a Princess book"

I don't think that clause 28 will help, as it also says

'For the purposes of this clause, 'significant change' means a change to the city of departure or disembarkation, or to the majority (by number) of the other ports in your itinerary.'

Unfortunately, changing one port would not be considered significant.

I don't think that clause 28 will help, as it also says

'For the purposes of this clause, 'significant change' means a change to the city of departure or disembarkation, or to the majority (by number) of the other ports in your itinerary.'

Unfortunately, changing one port would not be considered significant.

Well really it's more than 1 port they have changed:

Port Douglas & Bali have been omitted. That's 2 ports changed, replaced with Alotua PNG & Yorkeys Knob.

Darwin lost 1 hour of stay.

Broome we are getting in early afternoon, staying overnight and departing 1pm.

Originally Broome was arriving 1am departing 11pm same day, which I prefer.

Lost 1 hour scenic cruising Kimberley Coast.

One less sea day, and I like sea days as I find them relaxing. Ship is going to be travelling slower.

It's almost the whole itinerary they have juggled.

Port Douglas & Bali have been omitted. That's 2 ports changed, replaced with Alotua PNG & Yorkeys Knob.

One less sea day, and I like sea days as I find them relaxing. Ship is going to be travelling slower.

as i stated in post # 28

it states if they have mechanical difficulites they can change the itinerary you will have the choice of

1. the new itinerary

2. an alternative cruise

3. cancelling the cruise for a full refund of your fare paid

so if you wish to cancel try and speak to a supervisor if need be

Hi all, this is making me nervous now. We are booked on the 26 nights cruise leaving Freo on 8th July. Had hoped the problems would be fixed by then, but if the cruise before is affected and it looks like we will be too. Lots of ports and a lot of sea on our cruise haven't heard anything from Princess about changes yet, so fingers still crossed.

Anyone know what the actual problem is? Is it something they can fix as they go. We were on Sun Princess one year and they were overhauling one of the engines and relying on the others without any problems.

Yes I am getting nervous too, already worried that Bangkok will be off the agenda as well:confused:

If you wish to cancel, call them up and see if they consider it a changed itinerary that is of significant proportion or not. Only one way to find out. Good luck.:D

I would consider it a considerably changed itinerary. Re Bangkok there is little likelihood that ships will call there at present. My last cruised dropped Egypt at the last moment which was a huge disappointment. The ships insurance company calls the shots and they always err on the side of caution.

If mist of the ports I wanted changed I would see if I can get on something else.

Sue

Hi cruisers just got off the Sea Princess on Sunday. Rumours are that one of the stabilisers is not fully operational so they have to ease the speed back for passenger comfort.

Another rumour was a cracked shaft housing causing the speed reduction from 21 knots to an average of 17 knots during our cruise.

I went on the Ultimate Ship Tour and asked the Chief Engineer and he wouldn't answer my question as to why we had to cruise slower, just said it was a technical issue that would not affect our safety.

You actually receive $130 credit which come in handy for drinks :)

This doesnt sound like something that can be fixed at sea is it?, or will they have they cancel a cruise to complete the repairs.

Obviously they think it can be repaired at sea since they have notified cruisers right up the end of the month of actual and/or pontential changes.

Please do all enjoy your cruise. I remember taking the Pacific Pearl and having delays and shortened ports a few years ago. I know in advance its is not happy to hear but as been reported, please try to enjoy and look forward to the cruise - you will still have fun regardless.

Princess should just drydock the ship and fix the problem, rather then let the wounded beast roam the oceans. It is not good enough to reduce cruise itineraries because of speed reductions and/or stabiliser issues. If some cruises have to be cancelled, so be it, such is life.

Edited by NSWP

I would have to agree with Les on this one. If the ship is short one engine, I wonder what happens if any other faults crop up at sea. I think back to the Carnival Triumph fiasco. I note Carnival is installing container type generators lashed down to the deck near the whale tails.We have been affected by a cruise cancellation , one week before cruising , so we understand the sadness caused by this event.

We were on Sea Princess in 2004 when she was Adonia, she was running slow then, that was something to do with the propeller, they tried to fix it in Cape Town and we had an extra day, but it couldn't be done at the end of our cruise it just kept going. I know it has had dry docks since, so perhaps this is a new problem. I did UST on Sun Princess and they were working on one engine and the remaining 3 seemed to be coping fine. Would be nice if they told us what it was, but hopefully we are all still going on our cruises. At least it will be relaxing if there are no ports to worry about seeing !!!.

Princess should just drydock the ship and fix the problem, rather then let the wounded beast roam the oceans. It is not good enough to reduce cruise itineraries because of speed reductions and/or stabiliser issues. If some cruises have to be cancelled, so be it, such is life.

Agreed, for some people missing ports or having reduced time their ruins the cruise.They should allow these people to cancel or transfer to another cruise with full refund and the $100 compensation.:D

I agree, missing ports due to weather conditions us understandable and unavoidable. Being shortchanged on the cruise itinerary you have chosen and paid for due to a known mechanical issue is not. Cancel a cruise give people an incentive to book an alternative cruise and fix the damn problem.

Sue

The 2-week cruise starting on June 22 has changed its itinerary due to this 'technical difficulty'. One of the changes is that it's missing Bali and going to Alotau, PNG instead, as the only international port.

I am considering the personal consequences of travelling to PNG. PNG appears to be the principal country with a particular strain of relapsing malaria.

Are there any other blood donors who have considered the effects of this itinerary change? I understand that travel to Bali incurs a 4-month suspension for donating whole blood whereas a trip to PNG incurs a 3-year suspension.

The 2-week cruise starting on June 22 has changed its itinerary due to this 'technical difficulty'. One of the changes is that it's missing Bali and going to Alotau, PNG instead, as the only international port.

I am considering the personal consequences of travelling to PNG. PNG appears to be the principal country with a particular strain of relapsing malaria.

Are there any other blood donors who have considered the effects of this itinerary change? I understand that travel to Bali incurs a 4-month suspension for donating whole blood whereas a trip to PNG incurs a 3-year suspension.

Welcome to CC, Great question.

I would assume that as so little of th epopulation give blood that perhaps most people woldn't be aware. I can no longer give blood, I did so for nearly 15 years until I had cancer and was told my blood would no longer be accepted. I think it is great that you take it so seriously that you would possibly alter your travel plans due to these issues.:D

Welcome to CC, Great question.

I would assume that as so little of the epopulation give blood that perhaps most people woldn't be aware. I can no longer give blood, I did so for nearly 15 years until I had cancer and was told my blood would no longer be accepted. I think it is great that you take it so seriously that you would possibly alter your travel plans due to these issues.:D

I have now had further discussions with Princess Cruises and the Blood Bank. It appears the solution for me is to stay on the ship and not get off in PNG. The Blood Bank sees this as similar to transitting through international airports. That is, it is not considered entry to a country and is therefore not a risk for contracting diseases.

It looks like my cruise will now be a purely Australian domestic one!

Edited by TMUG