Slow Sea Princess

What a fabulous tour.........I've just checked it out. Will have to start saving 'cause I want to do that tour via seaplane. I love this site.......you learn so much of what to see and do in places. I will be doing a Princess cruise in July next year Sydney to Freemantle. Hopefully I can keep my other expenses down so I can afford to do that dream tour. Thank you so much for the information.

Hi - looks like the Sea Princess will not be fixed any time soon - just logged into cruise personaliser for our cruise which leaves on 13 September and there are major changes - we now overnight in Fremantle, changed date for Geraldton, no longer go to Broome and Bali, arrive a couple of days earlier into Darwin, then 3 days at sea, then Alotau. No notification from Princess as yet. I know we can't do anything about it, but it's really disappointing. Would rather have gone to Broome than Geraldton and it would also break up the now 4 days at sea!!

Edited by Bizziecruzer

Hi, just reporting on our Northern Explorer 22 June 2014 cruise Brisbane to Fremantle. Alotau PNG instead of Bali. Yorky's Knob instead of Port Douglas. Loved the reef and Whitehaven Beach. Loved the rainforest skyrail and Kuranda. Amazed at the way of life in the villages of Alotau. The iteniary change did not affect us much although Broome port was a disaster for a lot of passengers. After arriving Broome on the first day at 2pm there was a massive queue to collect shuttle tickets to get into town. Can't walk across the wharf due to port restrictions so must be in a vehicle which has been granted a permit. Some did not get off the ship at all. My husband had the forsight to go early for the shuttle tickets and we did get a look at town, enjoyed some shopping & experience the townfolk. Second day my husband and I had an early morning half day excursion booked and managed to get off the ship at 5am, get through the red tape of the Broome wharf and fulfill our dream of the adventure of a lifetime to fly by seaplane over the Buccaneer Archaepelego, Cape Leveque, land on Talbot Bay and ride the Horizontal falls in a jetboat, in awe of the magnificent rock formations of the Kimberley. Swam in shark cage with the lemon sharks. A day never to be forgotten. Australia you're amazing!!! Made it back to the ship 45 minutes before 1pm departure! Weather was so warm and sunny during the whole trip untill we came to nearing Geraldton and Capt. Kent gave Geraldton the flick as it was not possible to tender due to the bad weather. Funny thing we seemed to be speeding at knots during the night to arrive Fremantle earlier than expected! Extra day in Fremantle so went to the old gaol tour - interesting. Great cruise.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise despite the issues and the tour sounds just wonderful. It is on my bucket list (although I have swam with lemon sharks already, no cage) I would love to get to the Horizontal falls.:D

Hi - looks like the Sea Princess will not be fixed any time soon - just logged into cruise personaliser for our cruise which leaves on 13 September and there are major changes - we now overnight in Fremantle, changed date for Geraldton, no longer go to Broome and Bali, arrive a couple of days earlier into Darwin, then 3 days at sea, then Alotau. No notification from Princess as yet. I know we can't do anything about it, but it's really disappointing. Would rather have gone to Broome than Geraldton and it would also break up the now 4 days at sea!!

That is a shame, I cannot believe they are still treating their customers like this. Not good, very poor customer service.:(

Friends got off Sea Princess last Saturday in Fremantle - they said that the ship was going up to Singapore to have a BIG hole cut in its side to have an engine crank replaced - would be out of service for a month ! They seemed to think that it was going there immediately????

?????

Barry

Friends got off Sea Princess last Saturday in Fremantle - they said that the ship was going up to Singapore to have a BIG hole cut in its side to have an engine crank replaced - would be out of service for a month ! They seemed to think that it was going there immediately????

?????

Barry

I thought I had read that that was happening next year.:confused:

I thought I had read that that was happening next year.:confused:

I wouldn't necessarily believe anything that my friends say !! :) -- probably there is a snippet of truth in there somewhere -- going to Singapore??? :)

maybe true about the crankshaft - that would cause her to run more slowly.

We are on the ship in late October to NZ - but have been there before so don't really care where we go to :) Haven't been to Napier or Akaroa though!

Barry

Time for Carnival Corp to 'pay off' these old triplets, Dawn/Sea/Sun Princesses off to the breakers yard in India. Send us some more new 'old' ships from the US of A, when the Yanks have had enough of them. Well, Golden is here !!!!

I wouldn't necessarily believe anything that my friends say !! :) -- probably there is a snippet of truth in there somewhere -- going to Singapore??? :)

maybe true about the crankshaft - that would cause her to run more slowly.

We are on the ship in late October to NZ - but have been there before so don't really care where we go to :) Haven't been to Napier or Akaroa though!

Barry

Well it should get to Singapore and the crank may be broken but in the mean time they will just limping around Australia and NZ not managing to maintain the itineraries that they are selling. All the while turning more and more people of their already not so great and already very old products. :(

We are sailing on the Sea Princess from Singapore on Sunday and there has been no change to the itinerary advised by Princess as yet. Lets hope not:confused:

Hi Seadog / hag - have you checked your cruise personaliser itinerary - that's how I found out about the changes to our itinerary - we haven't yet been advised by Princess themselves. Eitherway - hope you have a great trip.

Hi Seadog / hag - have you checked your cruise personaliser itinerary - that's how I found out about the changes to our itinerary - we haven't yet been advised by Princess themselves. Eitherway - hope you have a great trip.

How do you check your cruise personalizer itinerary? Actually, what it is?

Lydia

How do you check your cruise personalizer itinerary? Actually, what it is?

Lydia

Go to the Princess web site https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/captainCircleHome.jsp and place your pointer over the "Booked Guests" tab on the far right of the page. The first item listed is "My Booking (cruise personalizer)". Click on the link.;)

Go to the Princess web site https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/captainCircleHome.jsp and place your pointer over the "Booked Guests" tab on the far right of the page. The first item listed is "My Booking (cruise personalizer)". Click on the link.;)

Amazing....so very simple. Thank you so much. Now I can check from time to time to see what's going on.

By the way, were is Nelson Bay? Lydia

Edited by ONCRUISEMODE

G'day Lynda,

Nelson Bay is located about 200 klm's north from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. We try to keep it a secret. ;)

Thank you. I later saw pictures and it is absolutely lovely. I need to return to Australia and stay a year next time to see everything I can't this time.

Lydia

Thank you. I later saw pictures and it is absolutely lovely. I need to return to Australia and stay a year next time to see everything I can't this time.

Lydia

Yes, do it, there is so much to see and you will love it.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Just had an email from my travel agent saying our cruise due to depart Perth on Sept 13th is now departing Sept 14th ( so who pays for this extra night in a hotel as we are arriving by train from Sydney on the 13th?), and we are losing the ports of Geraldton, Broome and Bali with a PNG port of call thrown in instead, Port Douglas replaced with Yorkys Knob in Cairns, and the Kimberly cruising cut short. So the only ports that they are calling at that were on the original itinerary are Darwin and Airlie Beach. I am totally appalled as it is clear from this thread alone that they have known there are problems and that these changes will have to happen since May, but they happily took our money in June and said nothing. This puts us at sea for 5 whole solid days - a living nightmare for me. Also I have no desire at all to go to PNG. The $100 per person credit is a joke, almost an insult. We are told cancelling is not a realistic option as we have flights, hotels, and a 3 day train trip linked with the cruise and the agent says it's a nightmare getting any refund out of a cruise line. Our cruise personaliser itinerary has been blocked and we can't access any on line information. Totally appalled at Princess Cruises, they are unprofessional and rude. This is the first and last time we will book with them.

Just had an email from my travel agent saying our cruise due to depart Perth on Sept 13th is now departing Sept 14th ( so who pays for this extra night in a hotel as we are arriving by train from Sydney on the 13th?), and we are losing the ports of Geraldton, Broome and Bali with a PNG port of call thrown in instead, Port Douglas replaced with Yorkys Knob in Cairns, and the Kimberly cruising cut short. So the only ports that they are calling at that were on the original itinerary are Darwin and Airlie Beach. I am totally appalled as it is clear from this thread alone that they have known there are problems and that these changes will have to happen since May, but they happily took our money in June and said nothing. This puts us at sea for 5 whole solid days - a living nightmare for me. Also I have no desire at all to go to PNG. The $100 per person credit is a joke, almost an insult. We are told cancelling is not a realistic option as we have flights, hotels, and a 3 day train trip linked with the cruise and the agent says it's a nightmare getting any refund out of a cruise line. Our cruise personaliser itinerary has been blocked and we can't access any on line information. Totally appalled at Princess Cruises, they are unprofessional and rude. This is the first and last time we will book with them.

I have never been on a Princess cruise. Well I booked a cruise with them on the Sun Princess for October 17th out of Sydney to NZ and they cancelled it.

I already booked the flight. So we had to do the Sea Princess out of Brisbane and pay the extra cost of flight for 2 R/T, luggage cost, taxi to and from the airports. That was my first experience.

Now the Sea Princess is limping and Princess is changing itineraries and times. I can't believe their attitude. I agree. Princess will not be a consideration for us, ever again.

Not ONCRUISEMODE with Princess

If you have travel insurance , phone them and have a chat. They will try and back out of any cancellation fees, but you are not getting what you booked. Try to get them to refund you and let them chase Princess and the Hotels etc for the costs.

Other than that get onto your TA. It is not a nightmare to get a refund, it just requires a little extra work, and you are paying for it in your non refundable cancellation deposit fee that they charge.

That is bad service, I don't blame you for being angry at all. I do blame your TA for not advising you about the Sea Princess though.:(

The accommodation in Freo may not be necessary as you maybe still boarding as per normal and staying overnight on the ship in port, if not ask for more compensation for the accommodation.

BTW, welcome to Cruise critic.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

If you have travel insurance , phone them and have a chat. They will try and back out of any cancellation fees, but you are not getting what you booked. Try to get them to refund you and let them chase Princess and the Hotels etc for the costs.

Other than that get onto your TA. It is not a nightmare to get a refund, it just requires a little extra work, and you are paying for it in your non refundable cancellation deposit fee that they charge.

Agreed, get your TA working for their money.

Just had an email from my travel agent saying our cruise due to depart Perth on Sept 13th is now departing Sept 14th ( so who pays for this extra night in a hotel as we are arriving by train from Sydney on the 13th?),
Sorry shortened your quote.

We too are in the same boat (literally and metaphorically) The night of 13th you will be on the ship - you check in the same as for the cruise we paid for, but we the leave a day later (NOT what we paid for). I really don't think insurance will cover if you cancel as it's not one of their "conditions".

Sorry shortened your quote.

We too are in the same boat (literally and metaphorically) The night of 13th you will be on the ship - you check in the same as for the cruise we paid for, but we the leave a day later (NOT what we paid for). I really don't think insurance will cover if you cancel as it's not one of their "conditions".

I thought that may be the case.

Still $100 for a almost totally different cruise to what was purchased when Princess knew what issues were onboard already, is very poor.

Equally poor by the TA for not making their customers aware of these issues that Princess were experiencing whne they booked.:(