Slow Sea Princess

We are getting $300 OBC for the 26 night cruise Fremantle to Femantle, not too bad as one port cancelled, two ports swapped around and a couple of minor time changes on way back so happy with that compensation :)

The lack of 'official' word from Princess is a tad lacklustre and why is it that some have received emails and not others. It's not like emails need to be individually typed, addressed and sent, we're computerized now. Maybe there's 'technical' issues at that level too :rolleyes:

Back to waiting by the inbox ......

In May, SYD-BRIS 4 day cruise, Sea Princess cruised around 14 knots whenever I noticed the tv screen. It was cruising ok, nice seas and just thought we were travelling leisurely. But, we have booked the 35 nighter for April 2015. So now will be watching for any updates over the next couple of months and maybe look at cancelling and going the following year after due maintenance.

The lack of 'official' word from Princess is a tad lacklustre and why is it that some have received emails and not others. It's not like emails need to be individually typed, addressed and sent, we're computerized now. Maybe there's 'technical' issues at that level too :rolleyes:

Back to waiting by the inbox ......

Our email went to travel agent and she sent it straight on

In May, SYD-BRIS 4 day cruise, Sea Princess cruised around 14 knots whenever I noticed the tv screen. It was cruising ok, nice seas and just thought we were travelling leisurely. But, we have booked the 35 nighter for April 2015. So now will be watching for any updates over the next couple of months and maybe look at cancelling and going the following year after due maintenance.

Most of these ships would have a maximum speed of around 21 knots but would generally cruise at around 14-17 knots depending on scheduling and the sea bearing in mind the comfort and safety of the passengers aboard.

Putting off your trip may be warranted depending on the itinerary and the risk of missing ports. :D

First cruise last week. Sea Princess Brisbane to Noumea, Isle of Pines and Port Vila. $100 compensation each for change to itinerary. Spoke to one of the most sailed on the cruise and he said the issue happened on the 25th May cruise. Broken crank, not fixable while she's in the water and so scheduled for dry dock next year. Some very unhappy people on our boat who booked tours in Noumea but as we didn't arrive until 5pm they were conducted in the dark so paid top price and saw nothing. Personally I had a fantastic time and have the bug now :D.

First cruise last week. Sea Princess Brisbane to Noumea, Isle of Pines and Port Vila. $100 compensation each for change to itinerary. Spoke to one of the most sailed on the cruise and he said the issue happened on the 25th May cruise. Broken crank, not fixable while she's in the water and so scheduled for dry dock next year. Some very unhappy people on our boat who booked tours in Noumea but as we didn't arrive until 5pm they were conducted in the dark so paid top price and saw nothing. Personally I had a fantastic time and have the bug now :D.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and thanks for the information. :D

I would imagine there will be some cancellations once this info gets out. A minor repair is one thing but a ship with a crank that is broken is something else and as mentioned Dry dock isn't until next year at the end of the season.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and thanks for the information. :D

I would imagine there will be some cancellations once this info gets out. A minor repair is one thing but a ship with a crank that is broken is something else and as mentioned Dry dock isn't until next year at the end of the season.

Yep....not good.........going to be a long year for the Sea Princess to wait for repairs!

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forums mobile app

Princess moderator posted this on their facebook page

Sea Princess has experienced technical difficulties which have resulted in our inability to operate at full speed. This in no way compromises the safety of our guests and crew, which is our highest priority. We will continue to advise if any ports are impacted.

Princess moderator posted this on their facebook page

Sea Princess has experienced technical difficulties which have resulted in our inability to operate at full speed. This in no way compromises the safety of our guests and crew, which is our highest priority. We will continue to advise if any ports are impacted.

How nice of them.:eek:

They have still not said what IS wrong.

If they can not operate at full speed ,

what happens if they hit a major storm or very strong current ?

Do they have enough power to cope?

How safe are the passengers and crew then?:rolleyes:

How nice of them.:eek:

They have still not said what IS wrong.

If they can not operate at full speed ,

what happens if they hit a major storm or very strong current ?

Do they have enough power to cope?

How safe are the passengers and crew then?:rolleyes:

They are into damage control as they know they will lose bookings if people know the truth that most itineraries will suffer even if only slightly.:(

Did the $100 compensation cover the out of pocket expenses for those who paid top price for a tour of Noumea in the dark? If not, more compensation should be sought for the delivery of an inferior product, eg a slow ship, which they know will impact ports of call.

Time for non scheduled urgent dry dock repairs.

PS Word of Mouth - I have already shared the information with a friend who has decided not to go ahead with a planned cruise on this ship.

I had a quick chat with the future cruise sales rep earlier in the current cruise and advised of general displeasure out there with informed customers about future disruptions - comments were listened to not sure if they would go any higher. Minimal disruptions are part of the coarse but where princess are advertising a future cruise with a set schedule knowing full well that they will change it because of condition of the ship, in my view this is wrong.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Forums mobile app

I had a quick chat with the future cruise sales rep earlier in the current cruise and advised of general displeasure out there with informed customers about future disruptions - comments were listened to not sure if they would go any higher. Minimal disruptions are part of the coarse but where princess are advertising a future cruise with a set schedule knowing full well that they will change it because of condition of the ship, in my view this is wrong.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Forums mobile app

Dishonest and false pretences!

It is one thing to alter an itinerary because of weather, or unexpected repairs needed during a cruise, etc. It is quite another to continue cruising with a "slow ship" without giving future cruisers the option to cancel, without penalty.

Sea Princess is doing the 2015 World Cruise , then has a drydock when she comes back.

You would think it would be the other way around. :confused:

I hope the WC is not disrupted with port cancellations as the WC is trip of a lifetime and many passengers will be spending their lifes savings to do such a wonderful voyage.

Sea Princess is doing the 2015 World Cruise , then has a drydock when she comes back.

You would think it would be the other way around. :confused:

I hope the WC is not disrupted with port cancellations as the WC is trip of a lifetime and many passengers will be spending their lifes savings to do such a wonderful voyage.

I agree.

I've never forgotten the fiasco with the Dawn Princess World Cruise. The local cruise company is running out of gullible Australians and "burning" goodwill.

I agree.

I've never forgotten the fiasco with the Dawn Princess World Cruise. The local cruise company is running out of gullible Australians and "burning" goodwill.

Agreed, as mentioned word of mouth may get their attention one way or another, I have spoken to several friends who were already booked (they are not on CC) and they are going to ask if their itinerary is due for changes. I suppose they will take it from there if they decide to cancel.:D

Did the $100 compensation cover the out of pocket expenses for those who paid top price for a tour of Noumea in the dark?

PS Word of Mouth - I have already shared the information with a friend who has decided not to go ahead with a planned cruise on this ship.

All passengers received the $100. I don't know if it completely covered their excursion cost but the sun was down within about 30 minutes of arriving at the port so they really wouldn't have seen much. According to one lady I spoke to she was lined up with a lot of other passengers to complain. We had planned to book tours but when we learned of the change in itinerary we decided not to.

I can't fault the Sea Princess apart from the itinerary change. The dining staff were fantastic, I swear pixies cleaned our room as we saw no one but our room was always made up, turned down and refreshed in our absence. Generally all the staff seemed happy, wished us good morning, afternoon and evening as we passed them with big smiles on their faces. DH and I had decided within an hour of leaving Brisbane that we loved it and we needed to go again. Our DD is 18 next year and we're thinking a cruise for her birthday is the way to go ;)

My only complaint is no one took my breakfast order Monday morning :D

Edited by BrissieB
Spelling

All passengers received the $100. I don't know if it completely covered their excursion cost but the sun was down within about 30 minutes of arriving at the port so they really wouldn't have seen much. According to one lady I spoke to she was lined up with a lot of other passengers to complain. We had planned to book tours but when we learned of the change in itinerary we decided not to.

I feel that if passengers knew about the time changes early then they all had the opportunity to cancel their tours. So they really have no excuse to whinge about the cost after the event. Time changes are always annoying but people have to work around them and make the best of their cruise. :rolleyes: