Slow Sea Princess

In my opinion, whilst on the Northern Explorer 22 June, Broome port was a major problem for Captain Kent and Sea Princess concerning the wharf. Passengers were up in arms with the major queue going around the ship waiting for the necessary shuttle tickets to get off the ship which took hours because no one can just get off the ship and walk to the end of the wharf. Even taxis/any vehicle has to have a special permit to drive across the wharf to the ship and back into town. Broome wharf restrictions. Gas pipes I think and security. Even if you had family/friends on the other side of the wharf to meet you, you had to go by shuttle to the other side and you needed tickets.

Many people gave up and didn't get off the ship as it didn't arrive until 2pm on day 1 anyway and the shops closed at 5pm! Lots of people/elderly people missed out. Next day the ship left at 1pm so if you weren't early birds like us and got off the ship at 5am to go do amazing things in the Kimberleys, you missed out. I just think Captain Kent is fed up with passenger complaints !!

• 2 weeks later...
In my opinion, whilst on the Northern Explorer 22 June, Broome port was a major problem for Captain Kent and Sea Princess concerning the wharf. Passengers were up in arms with the major queue going around the ship waiting for the necessary shuttle tickets to get off the ship which took hours because no one can just get off the ship and walk to the end of the wharf. Even taxis/any vehicle has to have a special permit to drive across the wharf to the ship and back into town. Broome wharf restrictions. Gas pipes I think and security. Even if you had family/friends on the other side of the wharf to meet you, you had to go by shuttle to the other side and you needed tickets.

Many people gave up and didn't get off the ship as it didn't arrive until 2pm on day 1 anyway and the shops closed at 5pm! Lots of people/elderly people missed out. Next day the ship left at 1pm so if you weren't early birds like us and got off the ship at 5am to go do amazing things in the Kimberleys, you missed out. I just think Captain Kent is fed up with passenger complaints !!

I was also on the 22/6 cruise and agree that Broome was a bad experience with friends of ours taking three hours to get off the ship and then coming straight back on the same bus as they were too late into town to do anything. Luckily we had a tour booked and our wait was only about an hour (although they informed us at the start of the cruise that our particular tour was shortened by a third "due to rescheduled late arrival in Broome" so we didn't get the tour we were expecting but at least we were taken off the ship quicker than most).

Mind you, having a tour pre-booked didn’t help us in Darwin where we were told to be at the Vista lounge at 6.10AM for Customs’ processing. So we dutifully joined the queue at 10 to 6 and an hour and a half later we were finally through to then have breakfast and numerous coffees to stay awake before meeting ashore for our 9.00am tour. One positive was that I did get to see sunrise through a window whilst standing in line in the Vista lounge (I normally don’t see many sunrises).

I just got home from the Treasures of Asia Grand Adventure cruise on the Sea Princess. The reports of the ship limping around are ridiculous in the extreme.

The ship does have a crankshaft issue with a generator which will be getting repaired in Singapore over a 3 day stop over. unsure of dates

Obviously the generator issue did mean a decrease in speed but to the naked eye you wouldn't have noticed.

The trip was wonderful and i will be posting a full review tomorrow.

I just got home from the Treasures of Asia Grand Adventure cruise on the Sea Princess. The reports of the ship limping around are ridiculous in the extreme.

The ship does have a crankshaft issue with a generator which will be getting repaired in Singapore over a 3 day stop over. unsure of dates

Obviously the generator issue did mean a decrease in speed but to the naked eye you wouldn't have noticed.

Agree the cruise was great!!!!:)

Agree the cruise was great!!!!:)

Glad you both enjoyed the cruise.:D

I don't think the issue is whether people are enjoying their cruise or not but rather the itineraries are being changed and they have known about the speed problems for months. Some people want to cancel as their cruise has been significantly changed but cannot without penalty.

Yes they had a few changes. These things happen all the time. If you read your contract it states that they can do it without penalty in most cases.

A cruise is not just about the destination. If more people accepted change and moved on they would have more chance of enjoying themselves.

Yes they had a few changes. These things happen all the time. If you read your contract it states that they can do it without penalty in most cases.

A cruise is not just about the destination. If more people accepted change and moved on they would have more chance of enjoying themselves.

I agree with you but...its also not good business practice to change ports because of mechanical problems and expect all your clients to grin and bear it.

Some ports are very important to people for many reasons.

I agree with you but...its also not good business practice to change ports because of mechanical problems and expect all your clients to grin and bear it.

Some ports are very important to people for many reasons.

While I agree with both points being made and that Princess may be legally right to do this (as Seadog & Sea Hag said cruises do it all the time for various reasons), morally they are wrong. They have known for months of these issues and yet waited until weeks prior (and well after final payment) to change itineraries. As oncruisemode points out, some people wanted specific ports which Princess knew they were not going to deliver.

Of course the ship has the right to change the itinerary, weather, security etc. all influence these decisions. However this issue is about a well known problem with the ships propulsion which means that planned itineraries cannot be maintained.

For a lot of people their cruise holiday is a once a year treat, saved for and planned well in advance. Is it reasonable to basically substantially change this holiday without giving people advance notice and the opportunity to switch to another cruise. I don't think so.

If I had planned to go to the Gold Coast and suddenly found I was going to Melbourne instead I'd be unhappy...wouldn't you?

Some people cruise for the cruise and for others exploring new ports is important, either way it's your holiday you paid for it!

So many other lines cruising here now, I love Princess just not the local offering, if they don't lift their game they will lose out to the competition.

Sue

I agree with Sue.

Of course the ship has the right to change the itinerary. Once on board we have had changes several times due to weather,politics and breakdowns.

However when it is announced well ahead of time that the trip you booked will now be different , you must surely have the right to opt out with no loss to yourself .

When it has happened overseas, passengers have had the choice of being refunded in full , including loss of hotel or air fares involved.......and the cruise line even paid the travel agent their commission.

I agree with Sue.

Of course the ship has the right to change the itinerary. Once on board we have had changes several times due to weather,politics and breakdowns.

However when it is announced well ahead of time that the trip you booked will now be different , you must surely have the right to opt out with no loss to yourself .

When it has happened overseas, passengers have had the choice of being refunded in full , including loss of hotel or air fares involved.......and the cruise line even paid the travel agent their commission.

It really is poor communications as well as policy by Princess for this issue. Surely having a cruise that was going to Indonesia but will go to PNG instead is a significant change let alone skipping ports and/ or having shorter times ruining the ports for those looking forward to them. Acts of God such as weather , etc is one thing out of the cruise lines control but this is an issue that is certainly totally in control of Princess. They can adjust their itineraries and give people booked the opportunity to pull out without cost well in advance of the sailing.

Of course the ship has the right to change the itinerary, weather, security etc. all influence these decisions. However this issue is about a well known problem with the ships propulsion which means that planned itineraries cannot be maintained.

For a lot of people their cruise holiday is a once a year treat, saved for and planned well in advance. Is it reasonable to basically substantially change this holiday without giving people advance notice and the opportunity to switch to another cruise. I don't think so.

If I had planned to go to the Gold Coast and suddenly found I was going to Melbourne instead I'd be unhappy...wouldn't you?

Some people cruise for the cruise and for others exploring new ports is important, either way it's your holiday you paid for it!

So many other lines cruising here now, I love Princess just not the local offering, if they don't lift their game they will lose out to the competition.

Sue

Well said Sue.

While I agree with both points being made and that Princess may be legally right to do this (as Seadog & Sea Hag said cruises do it all the time for various reasons), morally they are wrong. They have known for months of these issues and yet waited until weeks prior (and well after final payment) to change itineraries. As oncruisemode points out, some people wanted specific ports which Princess knew they were not going to deliver.

Very True

people whinging about itinerary changes is all i'm hearing. MOVE ON!

If a port is that important to you....FLY.

Cruising is about having a good time and not whining .

Please read the above comments. While they agree with your point, you can't ignore the fact of what is said above.

I once took a cruise just to go to a certain port. I had been there on a mission trip and went again just to bring items needed for these folks that I met previously. I would have been very disappointed had we not been able to stop at that port. Had it been for weather, then that's understandable....but do to mechanical reasons that had been know for some time....not acceptable.

Look, we know you had a great time but re-read the above comments. They are very valid.

Lydia

People are not whining about the changes....

they are complaining that they are not now being offered what they purchased.

I agree with you , If one wanted 3 days in Singapore you could easily fly there and book into a hotel for 3 days.

They booked a cruise ....not a stopover .

Bite the bullet Princess and fix the ship in your own time.:mad:

So if you bought a cruise and then found it didn't leave the port, you would be still happy even though the cruise ship didn't cruise. This is what is happenin gin one case when they stay in Singapore for 3 days instead of cruising. Some people fly to Singapore for 3 days but they do not sit on a cruise ship to do it.:(

You have made your point, we acknowledge that it is legally fine for Princess to do what they do but that doesn't make it right.

Seadog & Sea Hag

If contracted a company to do a service for me and they agreed but they knowingly used faulty goods that meant they were not going to be able to deliver the service 'that was agreed' on I would not be happy either.

I've pasted it below in case you cant find it.

28. Ship & itinerary changes

We will do everything we reasonably can to make sure everything goes according to plan; however, sometimes changes can happen that may affect your holiday experience. This could include weather, mechanical difficulties, civil unrest or any other unforeseen circumstances.

In addition, we may charter all or part of the ship, or remove the ship from service where this becomes necessary. We may change the itinerary, ship or cancel the cruise due to operational or commercial requirements. We will notify you of these changes as soon as we can. If we are forced to cancel your cruise for any reason prior to departure we will provide a full refund. Since your itinerary is not guaranteed, please do not make any important arrangements or meetings based on the proposed itinerary.

Changes within our control

Where we make a significant change to the ports in your itinerary prior to departure and this is due to a circumstance within our control, for example for operational or commercial requirements you will have the choice of:

1. the new itinerary;

2. an alternative cruise of comparable standard, if available; or

3. cancelling the cruise for a full refund of your fare paid.

For the purposes of this clause, 'significant change' means a change to the city of departure or disembarkation, or to the majority (by number) of the other ports in your itinerary.

Changes outside our control

If it is necessary to change the itinerary due to safety, maritime law, severe weather, to protect human life or health or other factors outside our control, we will attempt to offer a revised itinerary as close as possible to the original itinerary. We will not provide any compensation in connection with the revised itinerary unless consumer laws require otherwise.