Slow Sea Princess

Yes, we are still aware of what legal rights Princess have but that does not make it right. The last line of that clause states 'We will not provide any compensation in connection with the revised itinerary unless consumer laws require otherwise.' and yet they have offered some OBC for the inconvenience of chnaging the cruises. :confused:

Seeing as you keep repeating yourself, I will as well.

The issue is that they have known about the engine issue for months, choose not to inform passengers until a week or so prior to the cruise and yet will not allow the people who want to pull out of the new cruise without penalty.:(

We are not whining we are having a considered adult discussion about a situation affecting many Aussie cruisers please feel free to withdraw if that offends you or you do not feel able to continue the discussion in the same spirit as the other contributors.

As per the highlighted part of the cruise contract as far as I am aware the maximum number of itinerary changes made up to now is 3 out of six.... No one has questioned the cruise lines legal right treat their passengers in this manner purely that it ignores good practice or sensitivity to their patrons holiday plans.

Sue

The engine issues have had very little impact on the ships cruising abilities. I know this because I was on the ship. You were not.

There were only minor changes to times in the itinerary of the last cruise.

There was one missed port on the cruise before that.

So now the ship has to have a 3 day lay over for repairs in Singapore. SO WHAT?

Singapore is a lovely country to have 3 days in.

If people don’t want to go, fine, then cancel. I again refer to the Passage Contract.

2. Cruise itineraries are not guaranteed

Many factors may affect our ability to provide any particular itinerary. These include weather, mechanical difficulties, civil unrest or other unforeseen circumstances. We agree to use reasonable endeavours to provide a cruise in accordance with our published schedules and itineraries. However, we do not guarantee itineraries and they do not form part of your contract with us. If we are unable to operate in accordance with our published itinerary, we may in some circumstances offer you assistance or compensation in accordance with clause 28.

The engine issues have had very little impact on the ships cruising abilities. I know this because I was on the ship. You were not.

If people don’t want to go, fine, then cancel. I again refer to the Passage Contract.

Many factors may affect our ability to provide any particular itinerary. These include weather, mechanical difficulties, civil unrest or other unforeseen circumstances. We agree to use reasonable endeavours to provide a cruise in accordance with our published schedules and itineraries. However, we do not guarantee itineraries and they do not form part of your contract with us. If we are unable to operate in accordance with our published itinerary, we may in some circumstances offer you assistance or compensation in accordance with clause 28.

I have no idea why you are getting heated and taking this personally. You enjoyed your cruise, terrific, we would not want anything less!

Sue

Seadog & Sea Hag

If contracted a company to do a service for me and they agreed but they knowingly used faulty goods that meant they were not going to be able to deliver the service 'that was agreed' on I would not be happy either.

Indeed it would contravene the Trade Practices Act.

Fortunately because of the 'whingeing', thankfully the discussion on cruise critic alerted us to this problem. We were lucky to be far enough from our cruise date that we decided to cancel rather than take a chance on the Sea Princess. There is a huge array of cruise ships coming to Australia this season to choose an

alternative, a lot in better condition and comparatively cheaper.

Fortunately because of the 'whingeing', thankfully the discussion on cruise critic alerted us to this problem. We were lucky to be far enough from our cruise date that we decided to cancel rather than take a chance on the Sea Princess. There is a huge array of cruise ships coming to Australia this season to choose an

alternative, a lot in better condition and comparatively cheaper.

At least you were informed (not by Princess) early enough to cancel without penalty. Hope you find the cruise you want.:D

I am glad you were not affected in any way and that your cruise was fine. personally, if I wanted 3 days in Singapore, I would fly there and stay in a Hotel or a resort, not on a ship being worked on and stuck in port. I would be severely pissed if my cruise did this and there was no opportunity to cancel without penalties.

people whinging about itinerary changes is all i'm hearing. MOVE ON!

If a port is that important to you....FLY.

Cruising is about having a good time and not whining .

And part of having a good time is going to the places you planned to go to, and prepared to go to.

Please refer to the Passage Contract clause 28.

When this is read and understood then you may all stop whining.

And who writes the contract?

Ever heard of unfair conditions?

And ever seen cruiselines offer compensation beyond what their terms and conditions say, because they know they're in the business of customer satisfaction around experiences, and what they've delivered is a bad outcome? People wouldn't spend all that money just to be stuffed around.

Yes, they don't seem to see the other side.

There seems to be some inequities between how Princess manages their American customers and how they manage their Australian customers.

Below is a link to how an American couple got a full refund.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/investigations/Couples-Anniversary-Cruise-Goes-Awry-270080001.html

Just my opinion, but very shoddy on the part of Princess

Edited by WpgCruise

Seems to me that Princess has been selling cruises KNOWING at the time of accepting the booking that they cannot visit particular ports. THIS is what is wrong about the current situation.

Exactly what we have been saying, it's not illegal as such, just not the way to treat their customers. In fact it borders on desceptive conduct. Itineraries may have been planned long before the mechanical issue arose, but customers should have been informed as soon as they were aware it would impact on the planned cruises and given some options.

Sue

Exactly what we have been saying, it's not illegal as such, just not the way to treat their customers. In fact it borders on desceptive conduct. Itineraries may have been planned long before the mechanical issue arose, but customers should have been informed as soon as they were aware it would impact on the planned cruises and given some options.

Sue

I think this is illegal to be honest. They know at point of sale they cannot provide the service. (ie berth at a couple of the listed ports). Which is different from having to change the itinerary after you've booked.

I think this is illegal to be honest. They know at point of sale they cannot provide the service. (ie berth at a couple of the listed ports). Which is different from having to change the itinerary after you've booked.

Not sure if it is illegal but certainly unethical and immoral.:(

There seems to be some inequities between how Princess manages their American customers and how they manage their Australian customers.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/investigations/Couples-Anniversary-Cruise-Goes-Awry-270080001.html

IMHO Princess doesn't treat Americans any better. The couple received a refund due to contacting NBC News.

IMHO Princess doesn't treat Americans any better. The couple received a refund due to contacting NBC News.

Making it a PR issue gets results, this is a possible strategy for those wishing to cancel or transfer to an alternate cruise.:D

And then - even when they finally agree to refund - no money yet. Cancelled our cruise that was to miss 3 ports scheduled, all dates / times of departure / arrival changed (so major changes) on 26 July - and still waiting for refund to arrive. I guess it will be a cheque and I'll have to wait for it to clear to pay for the new holiday I have booked. Customer service just doesn't seem to matter to Princess. Princess advised they were "Doing us a favour" by allowing us to cancel - not too sure what their definition of favour is but it must be different to mine as I'm still waiting.

Great find!

To be fair though, it doesn't indicate a different policy in the US generally. As said in the article, those passengers also couldn't get a refund - until the big media came in to support them.

If someone here managed to get a local show to support them, they also may get the same outcome.

edit: I see oncruisemode made the same point ;-)

Edited by The_Big_M

And then - even when they finally agree to refund - no money yet. Cancelled our cruise that was to miss 3 ports scheduled, all dates / times of departure / arrival changed (so major changes) on 26 July - and still waiting for refund to arrive. I guess it will be a cheque and I'll have to wait for it to clear to pay for the new holiday I have booked. Customer service just doesn't seem to matter to Princess. Princess advised they were "Doing us a favour" by allowing us to cancel - not too sure what their definition of favour is but it must be different to mine as I'm still waiting.

At least they allowed you to cancel (due to the significant changes to your cruise), for others the choice was not offered.

At least they allowed you to cancel (due to the significant changes to your cruise), for others the choice was not offered.

I was not "offered" the choice either - I requested it and did not take no for an answer - kept contacting them - even when they said they would ring me and didn't, posted on their Facebook site that I hadn't received a promised phone call and within minutes of me putting this on facebook I got a phone call. I asked the consultant if this was as a result of my posting on facebook and she said it was.

Even the consultants at Princess found it very hard to tell the customers that the changes were not major as they had to take the company stand. This stand was a canned response from Head Office America. Why doesn't someone in Australia have the authority to make a call on something like this. When it suits Princess to be an "Australian" company i.e. not offering us the conditions / prices offered to American passengers they take that road, but then in this case they were only following orders from their "American Head Office".

I guess the moral to this story is - don't take the first "no" as an answer - stand your ground when you feel you are right or have a valid case.

However I guess Princess are getting the last laugh at the moment as they still have my money even though they say a cheque was processed on 30/07/14.

I was not "offered" the choice either - I requested it and did not take no for an answer - kept contacting them - even when they said they would ring me and didn't, posted on their Facebook site that I hadn't received a promised phone call and within minutes of me putting this on facebook I got a phone call. I asked the consultant if this was as a result of my posting on facebook and she said it was.

Even the consultants at Princess found it very hard to tell the customers that the changes were not major as they had to take the company stand. This stand was a canned response from Head Office America. Why doesn't someone in Australia have the authority to make a call on something like this. When it suits Princess to be an "Australian" company i.e. not offering us the conditions / prices offered to American passengers they take that road, but then in this case they were only following orders from their "American Head Office".

I guess the moral to this story is - don't take the first "no" as an answer - stand your ground when you feel you are right or have a valid case.

However I guess Princess are getting the last laugh at the moment as they still have my money even though they say a cheque was processed on 30/07/14.

I am glad it worked out for you and it seems the PR (bad PR on FB) has done the job. Your persistance paid off and once you have your money you can book a cruise that hopefully gets you to where you want.:D

I asked the consultant if this was as a result of my posting on facebook and she said it was.

You had more luck then I did. I posted on Facebook and several people joined in but it didn't have any results that I know of.

I have a question since you live in Brisbane. For round trip transportation (airport to port) would you recommend Con-X-ion?

Anyone who has any experience can provide info. I am about ready to reserve it and thought I would ask CC members their opinions.