Blue is past it's prime, it appears.......

cruiseerf

[quote name='Kevnzworld']I've sailed on six Celebrity ships in AQ or a suite in the last two years. I agree with the OP
The service isn't great.
First....why dos the host/ hostess have to greet and sit every guest? It creates a line of 10-20 minutes when tables are empty.
Why is someone asking for my food order before I've been asked if I would like a glass or bottle of wine?
No real restaurant on land could survive with Blu's food or service.
This is a management issue. The individuals working there try hard, and I tip many of them for their efforts.
Don't get me started on the food. One word game bird. The wait staff warns you that they overcook them. My question, if you're going to cook the bird until it's into edible, why serve it?[/QUOTE]

While I don't share many of the view points of the OP, I do see and understand the point that you have commented on above regarding wine service.

First, I do think that basic/initial service elements for the table should be handled in a prompt manner once the guests have been seated. I would be feeling a bit rushed if our waitstaff person would be wanting to take our food order before we have even had a chance to view the wine list, let alone flag the person down to place an order. Sometimes, it is an effort to even get a wine menu dropped at the table. Unfortunately, I did feel like I was actually "flagging" the sommelier down more often than I should have been just to get some service during my BLU experience on Reflection (Nov 2013). IMO, I do think that BLU would be best served to move from 2 sommelier for the whole restaurant to having access to a 3rd "floater" that could help out at peak times.

I'm probably in the minority when it comes to appreciating duck (and other fowl) that is offered in BLU. I don't personally think it is offered too much. My opinion is that other cruisers feel that way because they don't care for it at all and feel it just takes up a valuable space on the menu that could be used for a different option. I have enjoyed duck breast that was served medium rare and was quite good.

I have had that occasional experience of having the waitstaff tell me something to avoid certain dishes being offered because they were not that good. Not sure if this was based on them actually tasting the meal earlier in the evening prior to service starting or if it was based on feedback from other diners in the restaurant. Thank goodness I don't depend on the opinions of other diners to help me navigate a menu and make my selection. :confused: :rolleyes:

[quote name='Paulras']Curious if these overcrowded experiences were at certain times of the night? We'll be in AQ for the first time in December on Equinox. We tend to eat around 8:30 or 9:00. Still crowded around that time?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

When I was dining in BLU, I typically arrived at the dining room anytime between 8:15 to 9:00 PM on a given day and did not have to wait for seating. Sometimes we arrived as a party of 2, 4, or 6 depending on who we met while having drinks at the Martini Bar prior to dinner. While my experience was on Reflection and that dining room is slightly larger than other BLU dining rooms, the experience should probably work quite similarly for you.

[quote name='bigbenboys']Our only other time in Blu they never had Prime-rib. They did have rib-eye. It is easy to cook 1 or 2 rib-eyes on the grill, but harder to cook Prime rib for 1 or 2. PS tonight is a rib-eye night for 1.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BosoxI']Prime rib. Oh, joy. Something anyone can prepare at home. No thanks. I want the chef to be challenged at least a little.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='richard1s']Pardon me for treading on your sarcastic wit and put-down - but my family can prepare some pretty good Italian food at home but that doesn't stop us from enjoying a good Italian restaurant. Since when is what you can make at home a criteria for appreciating and enjoying a meal someone else prepares and serves you?[/QUOTE]

I grew up helping my parents cook and learned to love food through their eyes and their abilities to prepare it in the kitchen. Now that I am older and live on my own and work too many hours, I do tend to eat out more even though I am quite capable of navigating a kitchen and producing a wonderful meal. Yes, I do tend to order things out that would be harder to make at home than other things, but I also tend to dine (religiously) most Friday evenings to have a wonderful prime rib dinner after a long day/week at work. There is no way I am going to make this at home just because I can.

[quote name='vulcan1971'] Yes, I do tend to order things out that would be harder to make at home than other things, but I also tend to dine (religiously) most Friday evenings to have a wonderful prime rib dinner after a long day/week at work. There is no way I am going to make this at home just because I can.[/QUOTE]

Point well taken but there is a difference between rack of lamb and prime rib.
I cruised with a friend years ago and after 3 nights of his ordering Prime rib ( it was available every night ) I asked why he ordered it every night?
He stated he always ordered prime rib when he went out for a special dinner. I opined to him that this might be the opportunity to be adventurous and try some of the offerings that would be pricier or more exotic not as often encountered at most traditional restaurants?
He continued to eat prime rib every night for 7 days and was very content and pleased with his choice, as he found the prime rib a comfort food.

You often get prime rib at buffets or conventions due to it's ease of preparation not just at family restaurants. It is a very economical cut of meat that can easily be used to feed large groups.

I have dined with friends who will only eat salmon and do so night after night when offered and by pass Halibut, Cod, Snapper, Sword fish or what ever is offered.
I noted on our last cruise that Blu would have Halibut but Tilapia would be offered in the MDR yet I was told by some they preferred the MDR offering. You cannot compare the two proteins though I can understand how your palate may enjoy the MDR preparation better.

On one of my first X cruises many years ago I ordered the lamb the 1st night it was offered in the MDR our waiter seemed excited by my choice. I asked him why he had asked he responded by asking if I would order duck when it appeared on the menu? I stated most likely, he explained that few Americans order the lamb and fewer try the duck but he could now better anticipate what I would enjoy from each nights offerings.
It became a game the next few weeks as we progressed from me asking his recommendation to letting him just place my order and I guess what he would present me.

He was a Russian and one of the best waiters I have ever encountered in all my dining experiences.

It is difficult to evaluate food from peoples critic because individual preference or familiarity of product greatly impacts enjoyment. One can easily evaluate the quality and cost of produce and proteins Blu spends more then the MDR on what they present their dinners.

Many would never consider the soft shell crab offered as an appetizer in Blu as they have never had it but I considered making it an entree it is not offered in the MDR because of cost. Edited by baldercash

Many would never consider the soft shell crab offered as an appetizer in Blu as they have never had it but I considered making it an entree it is not offered in the MDR because of cost.

Yum!! Loved the soft shell crab....to each his own when it comes to food and our personal choices.....I nearly always pick the unusual item, but my DH almost always goes with the beef dishes offered....he likes his, I like mine...and we're happy...as long as the food is prepared well and YOU like it, it's fine. Blu has always managed to meet those criteria for us....sorry if some have found it lacking...our last time was on Connie in December and it was excellent...and hopefully we will find the same on Eclipse for our TA next April!!!:)

Sorry. I thought my comment clearly stated my viewpoint: when I eat out, I want the chef to show his skills; I want to eat what I don't eat at home. Either different food or familiar food prepared in a different manner. The best item I had in Blu last month were the sweetbreads, which my wife wouldn't touch if I fixed them at home. But in a restaurant I am free to try the more exotic items if they are available or at least chicken prepared in a way I've never tasted. Frankly, I'm a pretty fair cook, and prime rib is ordered only in desperation, when the rest of the menu stinks.

If you get prime rib "in desperation", may I suggest you request a taco shell.

Prime rib in a taco shell is extravagant, with a dipping sauce even better.

Penny

You often get prime rib at buffets or conventions due to it's ease of preparation not just at family restaurants. It is a very economical cut of meat that can easily be used to feed large groups.

Many would never consider the soft shell crab offered as an appetizer in Blu as they have never had it but I considered making it an entree it is not offered in the MDR because of cost.

Of course people are free to eat what they will, but for the life of me, prime rib is about the most easily prepared quality meal there is. No way am I ordering it when (if) other more interesting things are available. But to each his own.

It's funny you mention soft shell crabs, as they are another item my wife won't touch and I thrive on. As a matter of fact, they're in season and I had two jumbos last night in a restaurant that also had prime rib on its menu. ;) They were delicious. $28 versus the rib at $32

Of course people are free to eat what they will, but for the life of me, prime rib is about the most easily prepared quality meal there is. No way am I ordering it when (if) other more interesting things are available. But to each his own.

It's funny you mention soft shell crabs, as they are another item my wife won't touch and I thrive on. As a matter of fact, they're in season and I had two jumbos last night in a restaurant that also had prime rib on its menu. ;) They were delicious. $28 versus the rib at $32

My next Celebrity cruise must be in Aqua Class because I crave soft shell crabs. A plump fresh one is worth 28, a shriveled frozen one will do in a pinch, better if there's a pile of them on a platter.

Penny

Edited by PinotBlanc
deleted a line

My next Celebrity cruise must be in Aqua Class because I crave soft shell crabs. A plump fresh one is worth 28, a shriveled frozen one will do in a pinch, better if there's a pile of them on a platter.

Penny

The first cruise we took in AQ I and the soft shell crab. It is served as a appetizer. I never had one before and when it was served I looked at it and wondered wondered how to approach eating it. I was then told to eat everything as there is no shell. It was very good.

The next cruise it was very greasy and I didn't finish it.

The next cruise it was fried to a crisp and looked like those dredging that are at the bottom of the deep fryer. I left it.

The next cruise it tasted spoiled and I immediately spit it out. Needless to say that I left it.

Have sailed a few times since in AQ and haven't ordered it.

Hope you have better luck.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Penny

Unfortunately the soft shell crabs, like all of Celebrity's seafood is frozen, not fresh.

So sad,

I have had the opportunity to enjoy them 3 times. I guess I am fortunate to be one of those people that the sun shines on in the midst of a rain storm.

Cheers

Guess I'm another of those fortunate ones...loved it all 5 times I've had it on 5 different ships.....

I am also obviously very lucky that I have not been subject to the bad service, bad food, bad sommeliers that so many here mention.....to date we have had only great experiences in Blu, have some nights been better than others...sure...but the overall has been great...BLU is the reason we came back to Celebrity, just did not enjoy the noise and chaos in the MDR....and we expect to stay in AQ and Blu for the foreseeable future.........we are expecting only even better things in Blu once the suite dining room opens and the congestion of suite guests in Blu decreases.....

Penny

Hey, Penny, if that's Fairfax, Virginia, there have to be restaurants that sell them more cheaply than $28 for one jumbo.:p But as another poster has noted, they have to be cooked properly or they're not worth eating, and that's where the skill of the chef comes into play. Don't count on getting them in Aqua on every cruise, either. I don't recall seeing them on the recent Eclipse TA menu and I can't believe I would have glossed over them if they were offered.

Edited by BosoxI

• 3 weeks later...
My duck in Blu on Reflection was cooked perfectly both times - pecan crusted and pomegranate glazed - and was tender with the fat layer perfectly rendered down to between 1/8 and 1/4 inch. Even though it was as tender as it should be, I would also prefer it carved into slices prior to plating.

So we are back from Blu and I wanted to say that they did not do the duck breast properly -- either time. I just finished doing the online survey that they sent, and the advantage of that was that I now have my write-up available to share. I will say that the pecan crusted duck was possibly the worst duck breast I have ever had (I should have used those words in my write-up, too late now, they'll get the idea). The amazing thing about that duck was that we had to wait a half hour between courses (maybe longer) because they had apparently run out and had to make more (the maitre'd came over twice to apologize, the third time he just walked past and didn't try to explain the delay). Oh, and that duck breast did not have the skin attached -- they could just have easily done it as a chicken cutlet -- and it probably would have been better. And the pomegranate version had no pomegranate taste, but it was served sliced (unlike what was described here). I have photos that I can upload. I was so upset about the pecan-crusted version that I found photos of properly cooked duck breast on my phone and showed the maitre'd how it should have been done (he didn't care, said they could not cook it like that since it had to be fried, what BS). The waiter asked if I wanted a different one, but I told him what difference would it make since I was told this was the way it was supposed to be served! Can you tell that I'm still angry???

My write-up:

I was very disappointed in the food and service at Blu. There were a few good things on the menu but many more things that were not. Many meals took much longer than they should have with long waits to order and between courses. This was my first time in Aqua Class. I had looked at the Blu menu on past cruises and longed to be able to eat there. Now that I’ve finally been there, I don’t think I would spend the money to do it again. I was unable to get my duck breast medium-rare. The first time it was on the menu the waiter told me they do it medium and it was served brown with a slight bit of pink. The second time it was coated with some pecan mess and fried and ended up a disgusting brown. And then they insult my intelligence by telling me it has to be cooked that way even though the menu had the asterisk saying that it may be served rare or undercooked. According to posts I had read pre-cruise on Cruise Critic, Blu delivered perfectly cooked medium-rare duck breast. I did not have that in either case. The portion of a half quail as an appetizer one day was a joke. Getting 4 small pieces of beet in a pickled beet salad (two pickled) was ridiculous. The rib eye steak you served one night was a fatty mess. The Pepper Steak had no sign of pepper.

I was very disappointed that the servers were not able to get me an appetizer I wanted from the main dining room menu which were much more appealing than what I found at Blu. Several nights we left without dessert because we wanted to go to a show and there was not anything appealing on the menu. The servers were very friendly but probably overloaded.

So we are back from Blu and I wanted to say that they did not do the duck breast properly -- either time. I just finished doing the online survey that they sent, and the advantage of that was that I now have my write-up available to share. I will say that the pecan crusted duck was possibly the worst duck breast I have ever had (I should have used those words in my write-up, too late now, they'll get the idea). The amazing thing about that duck was that we had to wait a half hour between courses (maybe longer) because they had apparently run out and had to make more (the maitre'd came over twice to apologize, the third time he just walked past and didn't try to explain the delay). Oh, and that duck breast did not have the skin attached -- they could just have easily done it as a chicken cutlet -- and it probably would have been better. And the pomegranate version had no pomegranate taste, but it was served sliced (unlike what was described here). I have photos that I can upload. I was so upset about the pecan-crusted version that I found photos of properly cooked duck breast on my phone and showed the maitre'd how it should have been done (he didn't care, said they could not cook it like that since it had to be fried, what BS). The waiter asked if I wanted a different one, but I told him what difference would it make since I was told this was the way it was supposed to be served! Can you tell that I'm still angry???

My write-up:

I was very disappointed in the food and service at Blu. There were a few good things on the menu but many more things that were not. Many meals took much longer than they should have with long waits to order and between courses. This was my first time in Aqua Class. I had looked at the Blu menu on past cruises and longed to be able to eat there. Now that I’ve finally been there, I don’t think I would spend the money to do it again. I was unable to get my duck breast medium-rare. The first time it was on the menu the waiter told me they do it medium and it was served brown with a slight bit of pink. The second time it was coated with some pecan mess and fried and ended up a disgusting brown. And then they insult my intelligence by telling me it has to be cooked that way even though the menu had the asterisk saying that it may be served rare or undercooked. According to posts I had read pre-cruise on Cruise Critic, Blu delivered perfectly cooked medium-rare duck breast. I did not have that in either case. The portion of a half quail as an appetizer one day was a joke. Getting 4 small pieces of beet in a pickled beet salad (two pickled) was ridiculous. The rib eye steak you served one night was a fatty mess. The Pepper Steak had no sign of pepper.

I was very disappointed that the servers were not able to get me an appetizer I wanted from the main dining room menu which were much more appealing than what I found at Blu. Several nights we left without dessert because we wanted to go to a show and there was not anything appealing on the menu. The servers were very friendly but probably overloaded.

Wow, sounds dreadful! I continue to be amazed at the degree of inconsistency. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Well.....one good thing about so many NOT planning on going back to Blu ... might help lessen the crowds everyone is talking about....EVEN before the all suite dining room opens up.....just saying....:rolleyes::D:)[/agree on all the negative comments about bpBlu.

Have sailed only in Aqua and dined in Blu these part several cruises, but I find that the quality, fresh mess and repetitive nature of the menu that has not changed I years utterly unacceptable.

Unless there is a significant improvement to the way in which Blu s administered, we will be trying other cruise lines

Yum!! Loved the soft shell crab....to each his own when it comes to food and our personal choices.....I nearly always pick the unusual item, but my DH almost always goes with the beef dishes offered....he likes his, I like mine...and we're happy...as long as the food is prepared well and YOU like it, it's fine. Blu has always managed to meet those criteria for us....sorry if some have found it lacking...our last time was on Connie in December and it was excellent...and hopefully we will find the same on Eclipse for our TA next April!!!:)

Hi

Bi the way the Soft Shell Crab has been discontinued and is no longer available in Blu, as per the Maître d on this past cruise!

It seems most passengers disliked it, I for one loved it thought!

Another cutback!

It is amazing to me that everyone can be right in their experience in a Blu dining experience. It varies so much from ship to ship and by who you get as a waiter.

We did B2B on Connie in Nov/Dec and ate the first cruise in MDR select and were suite guests and thought we would try Blu but food and wait staff but MDR was so good that we decided we would not try. Then second leg we had aqua class and ate in Blu. That team of Maitre de and wait staff was the best we have had in 62 cruises. We could not believe how great the food and experience was.

We then decide to do back to back again in January on the Connie and do aqua to see if Blu was that great or it was just an anomaly. Well it was great again. Same service and great food. What amazed me was that they remember us and what we ate for breakfast and dinner. What a great memory for us.

That is what cruising is all about.

Let's hope X reads our comments and strive to have all restaurants run like the Connie Blu.

I believe the 123 packages are killing these guys because people who rarely drink are all drinking "because its included"....

So sorry to hear of your disappointment in Blu. We've never sailed Aqua Class. So I can't comment on that.

The point that I quoted from your post also applies to other parts of the ship such as the Martini Bar. The Bar Manager on our recent Summit sailing said the same thing to us. The drink packages are killing them.

Also bar servers are no longer working the MDR, now the Assistant Waiters have to take drink orders. IMO this is a not a good thing at all. The Assistant Waiters and Waiters are already overworked.

Celebrity either needs to hire more staff or cut out offering free drink packages as perk.

Edited by CruisingChick

Also bar servers are no longer working the MDR, now the Assistant Waiters have to take drink orders. IMO this is a not a good thing at all. The Assistant Waiters and Waiters are already overworked.

We had Sommeliers and Bar Waiters in the MDR each night on Eclipse last Month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had Sommeliers and Bar Waiters in the MDR each night on Eclipse last Month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had Sommeliers (who were also overworked) for wine, but not Bar Servers for drinks. The Assistant Waiters were taking drink orders on our Summit cruise May 25 - June 1.

Edited by CruisingChick

Only sailed Celebrity once and that was in Aqua Class. LOVED IT. In fact, when I booked our October cruise, I would only consider AQ. The service, location, atmosphere and food...we enjoyed it all. I will say that when cruising, we do keep our expectations in check. It isn't as if they can have fresh seafood and produce flown in daily.

One thing I have noticed on cruise ships is that the dishes we enjoy most are those that benefit from long, slow cooking..coq au vin, osso buco, braised veal shank, short ribs....etc. We tend to steer of dishes that rely on more precise cooking since I know how difficult it is to get it right. We tend to stay away from steaks since we live in Texas and I know we would be disappointed.

We do have the beverage package and I will follow the suggestion to get a glass of wine before being seated in the event there is a wait for wine service.

I find Blu much more conducive to meeting fellow passengers and I love the flexibility of dining with others if you want.

We also tend to ask the waiter for recommendations and find that they are, for the most part, right on the money.

Hopefully, our October experience will be as good as our first!

Well.....one good thing about so many NOT planning on going back to Blu ... might help lessen the crowds everyone is talking about....EVEN before the all suite dining room opens up.....just saying....:rolleyes::D:)[/agree on all the negative comments about bpBlu.

Have sailed only in Aqua and dined in Blu these part several cruises, but I find that the quality, fresh mess and repetitive nature of the menu that has not changed I years utterly unacceptable.

Unless there is a significant improvement to the way in which Blu s administered, we will be trying other cruise lines

Not sure what you were quoting me on there cause it got mixed up with your own post... We've been completely happy in our 5 or 6 different Blu experiences on 5 different ships.....and will certainly be going again.....the menu has at least 5 different choices every night...I have yet to get bored with it, but then I actually LIKE trying different things(it's not like you could possibly go hungry on a ship...:)).....I guess if I cruised a lot more often I would feel differently. Service has ALWAYS been great for us...... not doubting anyone here but very glad that we never experienced what some here are describing....

Edited by Gracie115