credit card chip?

webetraveling

I am sure that is probably correct. The companies are probably just trying to get all they can from these poor small business people to cover their conversion cost. I think she really wants to stop taking them anyway!

I also think the credit card companies just gave us cards with chips, thinking we would not know the difference between chip and pin and chip and signature. The funny thing is I have two cards that have pin numbers but they have never been used, because they have never been asked for in any European country on my last three trips there. They certainly never explained it to me until I recently asked!

I've been following this thread with interest and finally did a bit of research about the type of card that many if not most companies will issue in the next year or two. Apparently chip and signature is less expensive to produce so most will go that route with true chip and pin phased in after that. So it could be a few years before we are fully converted to chip and pin. The chip and sig cards won't help those of us traveling out of the US who may wish to make a purchase at an unmanned booth, station etc. One source cited the eruption of that volcano in Europe whose name I can't pronounce or spell as a catalyst for the conversion of cards here in the US because stranded Americans had great difficulties trying to purchase train or bus tickets or gas for rental cars. The Target incident was also cited. The statement was made that the chip and signature cards aren't much better than a swipe card when traveling outside the US. Many on CC have mentioned that the cards they thought were chip and pin turned out to be chip and sig so it seems to me that unless you are positive you can get a chip and pin card, it may be better to just stick with the cards we currently have and rely on cash when we can't use our swipe cards. Just my opinion of course.

I was also unable to use my Chip & Sign in Venice at any Kiosk and at train.... Same at gas stations in Germany & Netherlands. Turn away from purchasing in 2 small stores and had to pay cash in a rest.

nana541,

Yes, it´s usually no problem as long as you have a real person copeing with your credit card. But as soon as you have to cope with a machine the credit card does only work with chip & PIN - like at a 24/7 gas station (in France and Italy - in Germany they are usually manned 24/7) or at a ticket machine for any kind of public transportation.

steamboats

Using kiosks is where the problem mostly manifests. Could not use the metro machines in Paris for tickets. In Antwerp we waited in line for a person and still had to use cash to buy a train ticket. Same in Amsterdam. So having a manned station is not always the answer.

Wow - hard to believe how difficult it is in the US to get a card with Chip & Pin technology.

All of our CCs are chip & pin... All have PINS that can be reset. At least one of my cards has a "tap & go" function (up to a certain dollar limit).

One of my banks has the option to set up a travel alert on-line... so I can, with a few keystrokes, let them know when I will be gone, and to what countries --> so my card won't be stopped for out of country purchases.

What I am really enjoying when I travel to the US is the ability to use my debit card for purchases in many stores. And, I have learned to use the "Bank of Kroeger" as much as possible.

If I want to take money out of an ATM, and don't have access to an ATM that has a "relationship" with my main bank, I can pay up to $5 to withdraw money. However, many companies will let me use my debit card (and pay for the purchase directly out of my bank account at home) and only charge me $1.50 per transaction. I can shop at Kroeger and pay with my debit card. If I ask for cash back, I can get up to $100/day --> and only pay $1.50.

It is really interesting that there is such a difference in banking practices, when we live so close together!!!

Fran

Wow - hard to believe how difficult it is in the US to get a card with Chip & Pin technology.

All of our CCs are chip & pin... All have PINS that can be reset. At least one of my cards has a "tap & go" function (up to a certain dollar limit).

One of my banks has the option to set up a travel alert on-line... so I can, with a few keystrokes, let them know when I will be gone, and to what countries --> so my card won't be stopped for out of country purchases.

What I am really enjoying when I travel to the US is the ability to use my debit card for purchases in many stores. And, I have learned to use the "Bank of Kroeger" as much as possible.

If I want to take money out of an ATM, and don't have access to an ATM that has a "relationship" with my main bank, I can pay up to $5 to withdraw money. However, many companies will let me use my debit card (and pay for the purchase directly out of my bank account at home) and only charge me $1.50 per transaction. I can shop at Kroeger and pay with my debit card. If I ask for cash back, I can get up to $100/day --> and only pay $1.50.

It is really interesting that there is such a difference in banking practices, when we live so close together!!!

Fran

We very rarely use banks or ATMs. We make 90% of our purchases on our CC with chip and pin. They are automatically cleared every month.

Most supermarkets, KMart, BigW, Bunnings (hardware) stores have self service check outs. If we want cash out with our purchases you just pay with your debit A/C (same card - different a/c) and ask for cash out. There is a limit of $100 cash out on the self service machines but if you use a manned checkout I don't know what the limit is - I usually get $400.

Edit. - sorry I didn't mention that there is no charge for any transaction at any of the stores nor for cash out.

Not many people in Australia get money from banks any more they get it from the supermarket checkout.

Edited by Stratheden

• 4 weeks later...

Also from Canada - all of our credit cards and debit cards are chip and pin, and have been that way for some time now. I too love the "tap and go" option with my cards - I just tap my card on top of the credit card device and it automatically accepts the charge. No need to even insert the card into the reader, or enter a pin number. So quick and easy, especially when dashing into the grocery store or gas station. We have travelled extensively throughout Europe and the UK and had no problems using our Chip and Pin credit cards anywhere. We also used our debit cards for cash withdrawals at bank machines in Europe and UK - and again had no problems with them. :rolleyes:

US will have another year (Oct. 2015) before the "chip" technology is required. Not sure if that means that "chip & pin" will be required or just the "chip and signature". This week my Chase CC was updated (by them, not me) and changed from a Mastercard to a Visa with the chip technology but it requires a signature.

We used the USAA CC in France last month only at an airport Kiosk. All restaurants, manned metro stations and stores were able to use our Capital One (no transaction fees--regular signature, no chip card).

Will be nice when the US catches up to the rest of the world....

Quick update from the far north!

Currently traveling around Iceland with a rental car. From past experiences there, paying at their gas stations with an American credit card has been an especially challenging experience...

Happy to report that my Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa (supposed to be chip and signature, but it does have a PIN) has worked twice now in the gas station pumps. Both times I was able to pay at the pump, and one of the stations was totally unstaffed. Both times, I had to enter my PIN.

Interestingly, every time I pay at a restaurant, when there is a cashier, it works as a chip and signature card. Can't explain it, but as long as the gas tank is full, I will not complain!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Happy to report that my Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa (supposed to be chip and signature, but it does have a PIN) has worked twice now in the gas station pumps. Both times I was able to pay at the pump, and one of the stations was totally unstaffed. Both times, I had to enter my PIN.

Thanks! This gives me hope for our trip to Spain next month.

Quick update from the far north!

Currently traveling around Iceland with a rental car. From past experiences there, paying at their gas stations with an American credit card has been an especially challenging experience...

Interestingly, every time I pay at a restaurant, when there is a cashier, it works as a chip and signature card. Can't explain it, but as long as the gas tank is full, I will not complain!

Wait until the Canadian petrol companies start to require postal codes . . . :cool:

Ran into a real throwback machine today at a gas station out in the hinterlands of the Snæfellsnes Peninsula... It read the magnetic stripe, not the chip!

You can tell the difference easily because the chip readers physically lock the card in place while you enter the PIN, then they validate the card, then they release it. The stripe readers are the kind where you put the card in and then remove it immediately.

But as this was another unattended kiosk, I still had to enter my PIN after removing the card. A stripe and PIN! How quaint... And instructions in Islenska... Gotta be prepared for everything!