Ms Maasdam NE/Canada Review - 5/24 - 5/31

borasue

The Ship’s Crew: Captain Ane Jan Smit, Hotel Manager Francois Birarda & Cruise Director Jeremy Whited

The following review is as seen thru the eyes of a first time cruiser:

We booked thru a HAL PCC and she was outstanding! We opted for a BB guarantee and ended up with B032. From our initial contact right down to the Bon Voyage note the day before we sailed, we felt well cared for. She even arranged for us to receive a “Happy Anniversary” note from the Captain & Crew! Nice touch!

Embarkation Process in Boston went very smoothly, although boarding didn’t begin until almost Noon. The delay was because this was the Maasdam’s first visit to Boston this year and there was a group of Travel Agents allowed to board & tour her before the embarkation process began. Once aboard we were advised to wait in the Lido or other public areas, as staterooms were not yet ready. By 12:30 all rooms were available. We checked 2 bags. One arrived at 3:15 and the other closer to 6 p.m.

Stateroom and Stewards – We were on the Navigation Deck in Vista Suite 032. Within 30 minutes of going into our cabin, our steward knocked and introduced himself and told us who his assistant would be. We requested an extension cord for our CPAP machine and he promptly returned with a power strip and a cord. He was extremely pleasant & fun, and with his impeccable timing he managed to service our room in those moments when we were out and about. The room was always spotless and the fruit basket was replenished daily. We encountered no plumbing issues. Water pressure was good and water was always hot. Yes, there are a few signs of the ship showing her age, with some missing laminate here and there and maybe a chip out of the sink or tub, but these are minor aesthetics and certainly to be expected of any vessel that transports so many passengers, let alone one that was built 21 years ago. She’s a beautiful ship!

MDR – We chose Open Seating and we requested a table for 2 each night. There was about a 20 minute delay to be seated at 7 p.m. on the first evening. Every other night we waited less than 10 minutes. Service was steady and dinners averaged about an hour and a half. Many menu choices, always something we knew we would enjoy. On the first formal night escargot was an appetizer and “Land & Sea” was filet & prawns. On the second formal night there was a lobster appetizer and “Surf & Turf” included a lobster tail. Overall we found the food to be good… not gourmet… but very palatable, of high quality and the presentation was very nice. We did dine in Canelleto one evening and that was probably our favorite meal.

As mentioned, this was our first cruise. I did much research and followed the HAL threads for almost 4 months before it was our turn to sail. I gained much insight from the boards and appreciated the responses to questions when asked. I felt well prepared for our trip. I’m also one to follow the rules and meet the expectations. Having said that, let me just say I was quite surprised by the number of frequent cruisers with little or no regard for the dress codes! We chatted with several who told us of the many trips under their belts, yet consistently wore jeans and “day clothes” to the MDR, bars & shows every single night. My pre-cruise wardrobe didn’t include a lot of choices for “smart casual,” but I did a little shopping to make sure we were appropriately attired. While I knew to expect there would be several “rebellious ones,” I was disappointed at how many there actually were. We did notice on the second formal night, which seemed to be the “more” formal of the two, several men were given jackets as they entered the MDR. A few were turned away. For any future “new cruisers,” that piece of advice about packing less than you think you need IS true! We could have packed a few less outfits, as well.

Entertainment was plentiful. Just as all reviews have noted, the classical Adagio was very good. The shows in the Showroom at Sea were all well attended, with the early show being the most popular. Seating was never a problem at the second showing. The Culinary Shows were also a hit. The hostess did a great job of keeping things moving and fun.

We signed up for 2 ship sponsored excursions: 3 hr Heart of Halifax & 2 hr Quebec UNESCO Historic Sites. Both were well organized and informative. We had a private tour in Charlottetown, Duncan’s 4 Hr Island’s Finest Tour. We much preferred the intimacy of a car for 5 guests over the bus tours.

Disembarkation was smooth, albeit a little sad when our color & number was called. :( Our bags were easy to spot and we were on our way. We booked L’Hotel Montreal at 262 Rue St Jacques, based on a recommendation from a business associate. We knew the hotel was less than a half mile from the cruise terminal so we opted to walk up the hill, cobblestones and all, instead of waiting for a taxi. Our rooms weren’t ready when we arrived at 9 a.m., but they offered to store our bags and helped us with arrangements for a Hop On, Hop Off tour of Montreal. When we finally did check in, there were other people who had come from the ship who told how the taxi driver “got lost” on the way to the hotel and they ended up with a much longer, costlier ride than it should have been. The hotel acknowledged they had heard similar stories throughout the day.

The only true surprise came when we arrived at the airport in Montreal for our flight home to Boston on Sunday. That was when we found out the 50# weight limit on bags didn’t matter, because on Air Canada Jazz to the US, all bags checked would incur a cost. Live & learn, I suppose.

I did keep the On Location programs, so if you’re interested in getting copies, email me at periphery10@aol.com. I’ll scan them in a few days and send them to you.

Overall, on a scale of 1 – 10 with 10 being “tops,” I’d rate this experience as a definite 9. Our only issue was with the weather, which was chilly, wet & raw for this time of year. As one of the more tenured cruisers said, “It was invigorating.” Will we sail again? I certainly hope so, and you can bet it will be with HAL!

Thanks for posting your review! I love reading people's impressions and it gets me even more excited for my upcoming trip.

My family and I will be on the Maasdam Boston to Montreal sailing this Saturday (yay, almost here!), and it will be my first time with HAL and first time visiting these ports (other than Boston). We'll be in a cabin located similarly to yours, a verandah suite on Navigation deck but BC further aft. Re: formal nights, my husband and I love to get dressed up (somewhat known as "the bow tie boys" among our friends), so for formal nights we like having the excuse to get out our tuxes and choose which bow ties to bring! :)

Best,

Jeff

Nice review.

DH and I sailed that itinerary, b-to-b, many times and never tired of it. Maasdam never disappointed us and we could never get enough of her.

So happy you had such a good cruise.

Welcome Back and thank you for your review.

Good Day Borasue,

Did you get my email? If you prefer to just put your daily programs on HAL facts, just let me know and I'll be happy to get them from there. I am on vacation until my cruise on June 14th and checking the dailies would help me cope with the wait :D

I am a high school English teacher, and I can tell you that if one of your former teachers read your review, he or she would be very proud of your fine narrative form! We are booked on this same cruise a year from now for our tenth anniversary (second marriage for both). It has been two years since our last cruise, and I can't wait to get back on board. The next twelve months are going to be full of anticipation and planning.

I did the same itinerary on Maasdam last August and it was great reading your review. I love Maasdam, and can't wait to sail again next month - the reverse itinerary starting in Montreal! YAY! I'm so happy you used Duncan for your PEI tour. My Mom and I did his tour last year and enjoyed every single minute. I hope you had good weather for your tour! Can you give a few more details about the other two tours you took? I am thinking about what to do this time around in Quebec and NS...

??

Thank you!