Dissapointed in Norweigen Sun to Alaska

pattiek

I booked 4 cabins - 3 cabins had never cruised before so all my comments are for me and my husband as we have cruised 5 other times on 2 other lines.

Our trip started with us walking into our room and finding the linens had not been changed from the last people just straightened. The bathroon had hair all over it, I found beads on the floor and all the windows and mirrors had fingerprints. We called for housekeeping and a supervisor came up and had it cleaned up.

We looked at their All you can drink program - $49.00 per day and you have to buy your own cup . I brought 5 seniors and 2 people - in different cabins wanted to soda program and they would not sell to them because everyone in the cabin had to buy it as well - except we spoke to a couple from Alabama and he bought the card but she did not have to, so a little inconsistant. I only have 2 other lines to compare to, but the customer service on the Sun was horrible. We dealt with so many people who would not smile or even say hello when we ordered a drink. The friendliest was our house keeper Maxy - he was pleasent - did not change the sheets everyday, but pleasent. The food on the whole ship was ok - not the caliber in the evening dining room as I am used to on other lines but good. I do understand that this is a cruise to Alaska and the clientelle is usually older so they may not be as adventerous with the dining - so I will say it wa good. Entertainment was very good.

The ship is very dated - it has not been updated in a while - the hair blowers in the cabins are boxes on the wall behind you with a 1 1/2 inch hose that blows a gentle breeze - as long as you do not strangle yourself or get a hand cramp from holding it. The walls are dented and scraped up along with the furniture. There is no mass buffet towards the end - they had a chololate dessert night at evening supper and in the buffet area.

Over all the cruise itinery was awesome but the Sun was disappointing. I am a home based travel agent and would not book clients on the Sun until the modernize their ship and improve customer service.

Could the cabin not being prepared be a case of NCL's fairly recent policy of letting guests drop off their carry ons before the rooms are ready? It is expected that you will then leave the area while the cabin stewards finish doing their work. Reference all else, that sure isn't the Sun we have enjoyed several times and have booked again. Sorry you had such a bad experience with most of the cruise and hope your next choice turns out much better for you.

Nope - They announced all rooms were ready - we were not even told of a pollycof dropiing carry on baggage - we were at lunch when the announcement was made. Even through the week they do not change the bed linen just fix them - I dropped a spot of chocolate in bed and slept with it all week.

We have friends that cruised Norweigen - not the Sun - but other ships and they said it was grreat - I may try Norweigen again but never the Sun.

Sorry for your bad experience. I agree if they said room are ready I would expect it to be ready..however sounds like they took care of it promptly. They are human and sounds like they just missed one..they are rushed to be ready for the next sailing.

Why would they change the linens everyday? What a waste of water and energy. Do you do that at home? As far as the chocolate stain..did you let your steward know so it could be addressed?

It's been a while since we've been on the Sun but I have fond memories of her and hate hearing she might be in decline.

As for sheets being changed, of course there is no excuse for their not being changed for new passengers...yikes. But I do not think any line changes sheets daily. (Nor do I want or expect them to!) My strangest sheet experience was on our one-and-only Celebrity cruise...an 11 nighter to the Panama Canal. On day one I noticed 3 tiny rust-like spots in a corner. By day 5,6 or 7 I began to really pay attention to whether they were still there! Then it became a game. Every night before turning down down the cover, I asked DH for a drum-roll and there they were! For all 11 nights! I never saw the cabin steward but I did write about it on our comment card. Plus, as good as the Celebrity food was over-all, 2 of the worst meals I've had at sea were on that cruise!

As for dirtiest over-all cabin at checkin, the prize goes to RCCL!

If they took care of your room immediately, and if the food and entertainment were good, I'd consider your cruise a success!

patti...sorry to hear about that. I only seem to cruise on any cruise line's newest. Not sure why. Just a general feeling that the newest would have the least chance of things being broken or past it's prime.

Just curious, do you know if it's due for dry dock any time soon?

Sorry you did not enjoy some aspects of the Sun. I am surprised by your comments about the staff. After sailing on 6 different NCL ships, I would have to put the Sun at the top of the list when it comes to friendliness of the crew, but perhaps there is an influx of new staff.

As far as changing the bed sheets daily, even the high end hotels no longer do this. But all you need do if you want a daily change is to tell your cabin steward, and especially if you have spilled something on the linens. No need to suffer in silence all week.

What do you mean you had to "buy your own cup" with the UBP?

Thank you for your update and sorry you had some issues on your cruise. Hopefully, you addressed these issues while onboard. Did you ask the room steward to change your sheets after the chocolate spill? Also, with regard to the drink package, possibly one of the two from Alabama had a medical condition where they could not use the package. NCL makes all in a cabin purchase a drink package, because of sharing. Unfortunately, some have made it so that we can't individually purchase the packages without everyone in the cabin. As they say, a small amount ruins it for others (they have even come on here and told folks how to get drinks for them and their friends off one package. Pretty sad.

I had a very minor issue on one of the other ships and wrote a note to the Hotel Director (there should be a box down at guest services) and got a call right away. If you do go on another NCL cruise, you might want to (1) address the issue with the proper department head and (2) if it is not addressed send a note to the Hotel Director.

It is a good idea to go to your sailing's meet and greet. You get to meet with the Hotel Director and his/her staff. On our sailing, he gave us his personal # and asked us to call him directly with any concerns. I found him extremely responsive to any issues I encountered.

Nope - They announced all rooms were ready - we were not even told of a pollycof dropiing carry on baggage - we were at lunch when the announcement was made. Even through the week they do not change the bed linen just fix them - I dropped a spot of chocolate in bed and slept with it all week.

We have friends that cruised Norweigen - not the Sun - but other ships and they said it was grreat - I may try Norweigen again but never the Sun.

Of course, no one imagines that NCL would ever deliberately leave the previous guest's room uncleaned for the next guest. So I guess a human room steward committed a human error in overlooking it somehow. That's great that a Housekeeping supervisor him/herself responded to your issue and it was corrected. That sounds like customer service that cares. I'm sorry that the room steward did not change your sheets after you advised him of the chocolate you had spilled on them. I assume you did tell him. I do try to always keep our room steward in the communications loop whenever we need something extra, like extra towels, a spill I did on the balcony, etc. I know they can't see and anticipate everything, especially with us just one of 16 - 18 rooms they take care of. That Alaska scenery is indeed fantastic and glad you enjoyed it.

Thank you very much for your very timely and honest review. I'm taking the Sun to Alaska in 17 days and I will be on this ship for 14 days so your latest info is very helpful as I know what to expect now.

Nice to know that entertainment is very good.

Since you said the food is ok but not as good as other ships, it makes me want to avail of the UDP to up the standard a little.

I have to check whether my stateroom is cleaned everyday.

I'm aware that the Sun is very dated, but it currently has the best Alaska IT for back to back cruises this year and at the most affordable price among all the lines and among all the ships. That is why I chose it.

As Alaska is one cruise that you are after the destination more than the cruise ship...

I sailed RCCL the most but I choose NCL for the 2nd time due to the IT. The other one being Pride of America few years ago since they have the best Hawaii IT as well.

Edited by roquejo

I booked 4 cabins - 3 cabins had never cruised before so all my comments are for me and my husband as we have cruised 5 other times on 2 other lines.

Our trip started with us walking into our room and finding the linens had not been changed from the last people just straightened. The bathroon had hair all over it, I found beads on the floor and all the windows and mirrors had fingerprints. We called for housekeeping and a supervisor came up and had it cleaned up.

We looked at their All you can drink program - $49.00 per day and you have to buy your own cup . I brought 5 seniors and 2 people - in different cabins wanted to soda program and they would not sell to them because everyone in the cabin had to buy it as well - except we spoke to a couple from Alabama and he bought the card but she did not have to, so a little inconsistant. I only have 2 other lines to compare to, but the customer service on the Sun was horrible. We dealt with so many people who would not smile or even say hello when we ordered a drink. The friendliest was our house keeper Maxy - he was pleasent - did not change the sheets everyday, but pleasent. The food on the whole ship was ok - not the caliber in the evening dining room as I am used to on other lines but good. I do understand that this is a cruise to Alaska and the clientelle is usually older so they may not be as adventerous with the dining - so I will say it wa good. Entertainment was very good.

The ship is very dated - it has not been updated in a while - the hair blowers in the cabins are boxes on the wall behind you with a 1 1/2 inch hose that blows a gentle breeze - as long as you do not strangle yourself or get a hand cramp from holding it. The walls are dented and scraped up along with the furniture. There is no mass buffet towards the end - they had a chololate dessert night at evening supper and in the buffet area.

Over all the cruise itinery was awesome but the Sun was disappointing. I am a home based travel agent and would not book clients on the Sun until the modernize their ship and improve customer service.

DO you change the sheets everyday at home? I don't Ive sailed the sun 2x and loved it It was dry docked a couple years ago.. Oh did I say I loved the Sun

I am so sorry you walked into a dirty cabin; there is no excuse for that. As for the hair dryer, I agree. We were on the Sun last Dec. Luckily I have short and pretty thin hair so I had no trouble, but they need to be updated. We were on the Dawn recently and the hair dryers were awesome. The Sun hair dryers were just about like the ones we had on both Princess cruises. This is why many people bring their own..

As for the beverage plan, both soda and alcohol, as a travel agent this should not have surprised you. It is the same policy and about the same price as other lines. I am a retired agent and our daughter owns her own franchise with the largest Cruise agencies in the nation. In fact they don't only do cruises, they handle all forms of vacation. We have cruised about 30 times, the policies are pretty much the same on all lines.

You mention customer service: I guess I missed what was wrong with it? Maybe I need to go back and read your review again.

I do agree the ship is due for dry dock, but it certainly isn't nearly as bad, in my opinion as you are making it out to be.

Did you attend the M&G? it is a great way to make contact with the management. Especially on the Sun. they have a wonderful Hotel Director who is always willing to do whatever he can. But you do have to let him know. Coming here isn't going to help you solve the problems.One more thing, and this is just opinion: All the years I was an agent, I never sailed a ship I would not book clients on. I think this is a decision they need to make, based on my asking them questions about what they expect to get from their cruise and what they enjoy doing. The Sun is one of the most popular and most repeated NCL ships. I am curious: you are an agent, but it doesn't seem you have cruised a lot: what other 2 lines have you cruised.

BTW, welcome to CC. As an agent you will get a lot of good ideas and opinions just from spending an hour or so a day reading what people have to say about their cruising experience. I hope your next cruise is more to your liking.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Could the cabin not being prepared be a case of NCL's fairly recent policy of letting guests drop off their carry ons before the rooms are ready? It is expected that you will then leave the area while the cabin stewards finish doing their work. Reference all else, that sure isn't the Sun we have enjoyed several times and have booked again. Sorry you had such a bad experience with most of the cruise and hope your next choice turns out much better for you.

Never thought about that.

It is too bad you had an unfortunate episode aboard the Sun. I noticed you said you sailed five previous times and I wondered if some of the issues or something similar (such as customer service) was handled differently on your previous sails. I am curious since your public information lists Carnival as your favorite cruise line if you sailed any of her older ships. Sometimes these old gals are "long in tooth" and look a little tired from all of the years of fun they took passengers on through the years. IMHO I have sailed the new and the old ships and yes, the older ones are not as sparkly but I found them to be just as fun. As you can see I will be sailing on an older Carnival ship soon. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

We were on the Sun to Alaska last August and our only issue was the food,which ranged from good to mediocre.

the cabins were clean,the service was excellent and the entertainment was very good.

I too have been told that the other NCL ships have better food. I will find out in December on a cruise on the Gem out of NY

No excuse for a dirty room. Like others have said normally sheets don't get changed on a 7 day cruise. However.......on both the BA and Dawn our room steward said to us if you ever need the sheets change just let him know. We took him up on the offer on the Dawn when I spilled a little soda on the sheets.

Welcome to CC and your first post.

Sailed the Sun in June 2013. An awesome cruise. Yes, it's an older ship but I really liked some of the features. I also feel that I am so fortunate to cruise that something heinous would have to happen for me to complain.

How did you know that the bedding hadn't been changed? If you felt that was the case, you could have simply requested new sheets. As others have stated, the bed linens do not get changed every single day.

So you would not book a cruise for you customers on the Sun? So quick question If i called you and said book me on the sun in two weeks i want room 9125 (room I got engaged to my wife in) you would not book it?

Lets see, you have been on 5 previous cruises with 2 different lines, your favorite cruise line is carnival and your a travel agent, but yet this is basically your first post on cruise critic, I don't buy your story at all....sorry

Lets see, you have been on 5 previous cruises with 2 different lines, your favorite cruise line is carnival and your a travel agent, but yet this is basically your first post on cruise critic, I don't buy your story at all....sorry

I am with you. I absolutely refuse to believe anyone who posts anything bad about NCL. Attacking the OP's honesty was a nice touch.

Wow! I am shocked. They did not change your bed linens every night? I am sure you do this at home, right?

I am sorry you missed the charm of my favorite ship. Keep the Sun as it is. Modern is not always better. Why did you book an older ship when it is clear you require something new and shiny?

The Sun had plenty of fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk