Maple Syrup - I had forgotten!

bingo3

I had forgotten about all the maple syrup threads until I tasted it last week on the Breakaway! It is very weird, I cannot even describe what it tastes like, but if syrup is important to you, TAKE YOUR OWN! I wish I had remembered to do that! I only used it once, just not appealing at all. It was sweet, but a weird sweet, not maple syrup sweet. No clue what it resembles or where they could possibly get it. A cheap store brand tastes better.

debbie

If you go to the roll call meet and greet take a gift along for the exchange, with any amount of luck you will wind up with a bottle of maple syrup brought to the meeting by a smiling Canadian.

You mean this thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1944061&page=3

and as far as only in Vermont... hmmmm Maple Syrup, Maple Tree, Maple Leaf, hmmm.... Canadian Flag? :D

We have a huge Maple Syrup industry here in Canada. It is mostly in the east but there are pockets across the whole country. ;)

Edited by All-ready2cruise

At our last meet and greet my mom got a maple leaf bag with maple products. Delicious!

I wonder if NCL has alternative sugar-free syrups. Cary's is a good brand. Might be worth checking out.

At our last meet and greet my mom got a maple leaf bag with maple products. Delicious!

I wonder if NCL has alternative sugar-free syrups. Cary's is a good brand. Might be worth checking out.

Yes, they do although not sure what brand they carry since we brought our own. We got some pretty funny stares in Cagney's too. :eek:

Yes, they do although not sure what brand they carry since we brought our own. We got some pretty funny stares in Cagney's too. :eek:

You would not from me. We think alike!

I couldn't stand the regular syrup either but the sugar free on the Epic was okay.

I had this conversation with the Maitre D on Breakaway, they use a substitute (corn syrup based, but doesn't taste like either maple syrup or corn syrup...go figure) simply because most people didn't care and the cost difference was huge. We too brought our own syrup, mind you we live in the maple syrup capital of Ontario :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had this conversation with the Maitre D on Breakaway' date=' they use a substitute (corn syrup based, but doesn't taste like either maple syrup or corn syrup...go figure) simply because most people didn't care and the cost difference .was huge. We too brought our own syrup, mind you we live in the maple syrup capital of Ontario :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

This is funny, we had the exact same conversation with the F&B Director on the Pearl and he said the same thing.

We're in the Wine & Sugar Bush Capital of Ontario :D :p You can`t beat that and we just had some delish fresh strawberries picked on the farm just down the road from us.

I know, TMI... :p Goes with the Maple Syrup, Bacon and Home Brew Beer on the other side of the road. :D

I had forgotten about all the maple syrup threads until I tasted it last week on the Breakaway! It is very weird, I cannot even describe what it tastes like, but if syrup is important to you, TAKE YOUR OWN! I wish I had remembered to do that! I only used it once, just not appealing at all. It was sweet, but a weird sweet, not maple syrup sweet. No clue what it resembles or where they could possibly get it. A cheap store brand tastes better.

debbie

I agree with the OP. There just isn't any substitute for Maple syrup. I am a Vermonter of Canadian descent who, as a teenager, worked in the industry in the early 1970’s. The maple syrup we made was a natural wholesome alternative to the chemical products sold as pancake syrup today around the world. Quebec supplied 75 percent of the world's maple syrup (2013) while Vermont supplied somewhere around 5.5 percent (1.3 Million Gallons - 2013). New York produced around 3 Percent (574 Thousand Gallons - 2013). There is a rumor that Quebec has established a “strategic maple syrup reserve” to stabilize prices. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) producers will probably disagree with my natural wholesome remark. Bring your own maple syrup.

I've had great Maple Syrup from NH, NY, Canada and of course VT! The best is whatever I'm eating at the time :) I have never really thought about taking my own. Imagine if it broke open in my luggage on the way, what a sticky mess that would be! I don't remember the NCL syrup as being overly horrible. Of course I'm sure it's just brown corn syrup. I don't even think I had any on my last two cruises which were CCL and RCI.

Edited by fergusonvt

We always take our own maple syrup. My husband is a maple syrup snob. He would rather go without than use the fake stuff. He also refuses to use non dairy substitutes. If it's not real whipped cream on his dessert, he will not eat it. He's a farm boy who demands the 'real' deal. We can't take dairy with us, but we do bring our syrup. I put it in a Ziploc bag, wrap it up and put it in my checked luggage. Have never had any issues. Besides, it's a great conversation starter with our tablemates at breakfast!

I just added Maple Syrup to my 'Packing Pro' app for the next cruise. on the Epic earlier this year I thought the sugar free syrup was actually better tasting than the regular!

fergusonvt: Just put it in a zip lock bag and you wont have a mess if it opens. Also, the less airspace in the bottle, the better. :)

Thanks for the reminder. I'm sure I won't remember come December. :-)

I know my New England friends are always surprised even Wisconsin has significant maple syrup production. Canada is still king in terms of production, though.

http://www.maplesyrupworld.com/pages/Top-Regions-Producers-of-Maple-Syrup.html

Edited by weltek

I had this conversation with the Maitre D on Breakaway' date=' they use a substitute (corn syrup based, but doesn't taste like either maple syrup or corn syrup...go figure) simply because most people didn't care and the cost difference was huge.[/quote']

Another example of NCL cutting to the bone. Also, people do care. They changed the syrup mid-cruise on me last month and the 'cheap' stuff was horrible. I wonder how long it will be until NCL offers good syrup for a nominal fee?

Another example of NCL cutting to the bone. Also, people do care. They changed the syrup mid-cruise on me last month and the 'cheap' stuff was horrible. I wonder how long it will be until NCL offers good syrup for a nominal fee?

We bought the USP (unlimited syrup package) on our last cruise. They offered 5 bottom shelf syrups like Log Cabin and Mrs. Butterworth's.

You had to pay extra for the good stuff

:)

:)