Looks like drink vouchers are here to stay

Trying? Is the Concierge union stopping them? Where do we get this stuff? I must have missed that meeting. Seriously it's all rumors. I heard they wanted to get rid of the Cruise Directors and let the Activities Directors take over.

Doesn't matter to me, never thought they were all that useful anyway.

What an odd reaction to my post! :confused:

It is a fact that if all of the Diamonds can just get their drinks in bars all over the ship, there will be no "need" for a Diamond Lounge/Club or a Diamond Concierge. Royal Caribbean then can turn that space into something that generates revenue and eliminate the position of Diamond Concierge.

Just because *you* don't use the Concierge for anything doesn't mean that others can't.

And this information comes from several concerned Concierges.

Are the drinks restricted to what would be served in the CL and/or DL?

Yes.

That would be nice if they did ships without a dedicated Diamond Lounge first. I wonder if emails only went out to those who are on ships it will be rolled out to by the time they sail? Interesting....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Between this and the Diamond Lounge (for ships that have it), it's another reason why the drink package would be a waste of money for me:D

Needless to say, we went to the CL, where the Bloody Marys were easily available, each night for the rest of the cruise. And we did NOT give Sasha a WOW! We probably would have given him an UN-WOW if that was possible.

"Un-WOW!" I like it. Hope you won't mind in the oft chance I may have to use it. :D

Yes.

Thanks. I may have to change my drink of choice. It was easy to pass up on the DL but now they're on your card and it would seem like so much more of a waste not to take advantage. :D

We had a rather interesting experience with Sasha on the Legend Panama Canal cruise on 4/1/14. The first night we went to the DL, I asked for a Bloody Mary - my normal before dinner drink in DLs or CLs. It's a simple bar drink - nothing fancy - just vodka and bloody mary mix (which is just spiced tomato juice) with a couple of olives and a lime slice. DH ordered a glass of wine.

After 20 minutes with no drinks, we asked Sasha what was going on. I was informed by Sasha that Bloody Marys were not on the drink list for the DL or the CL on Legend. I questioned this! I pointed out that we regularly get Bloody Marys in the DL and CL on other ships, and since they had both orange juice and pineapple juice as mixers right there at the bar in the DL, why not Bloody Mary mix, which is just basically tomato juice. "Nope," he said, "we can't make BMs in either the DL or the CL. It's not on 'the list'." (And since I asked for an drink that was not on 'the list' apparently they decided not to bring DH his wine either.) So we left the DL and went to the CL where a Bloody Mary (along with DH's wine) was served within about 3 minutes with no question and no problem whatsoever! (Evidently it IS on 'the list' in the CL on Legend!) This aggravated me!

We are D+ so we can use both lounges, but we had friends on Legend who were D and we would have preferred to hang with them. But…I tend to be…well…a little bit contrary and stubborn at times.:eek: Sorry, it's just me.:o I like my Bloody Mary before dinner - I'm a one drink per evening kind of girl (okay okay…make that old lady) and that's what I want most nights.

So…the next day I got a glass of tomato juice with plastic wrap topping from the Windjammer at breakfast and kept it in our ice bucket all day. (I mentioned that I tend to be contrary and stubborn, right?) That night we went to the DL again and I told Sasha "Good news! I brought my own tomato juice from the WJ so I could get my Bloody Mary!" Guess what he said! "No, the bartender is not allowed to make a BM even if you brought the tomato juice!" Huh? So, as I am a bit contrary and stubborn, I told him to bring me vodka straight up, a slice of lime, 2 olives on a pick, a swizzle stick, and a tall glass full of ice. I made my own Bloody Mary that night.

Needless to say, we went to the CL, where the Bloody Marys were easily available, each night for the rest of the cruise. And we did NOT give Sasha a WOW! We probably would have given him an UN-WOW if that was possible.

(I'm glad to know he did please others on the TA, though.)

What do you bet it'll be a cinch to get my Bloody Mary with the voucher? I'm a happy camper - Woo Hoo!:D

Judy

Go, Judy, GO! ;) :D

Hope this is rolled out on Freedom by October. I love the idea. Love it! My folks are D+. We are D. My In-laws are...not sure, maybe Gold or Platinum? I enjoy the DL but I definitely would like MORE options to be in different places at different times around the ship and to be able to do it with my whole party, not just a few.

Thanks RCI for listening to the requests for this.

"Un-WOW!" I like it. Hope you won't mind in the oft chance I may have to use it. :D

Don't mind at all…feel free!:)

(But don't take my comments to mean I do a lot of UN-WOWing…it's actually been pretty rare. Unless we're talking about the RC computer weirdities...:p)

Judy

Kind of off subject, but I never receive any e-mails from rccl about anything. I know they have my e-mail address....is there an option or something im missing in preferences?? any help would be appreciated!!

RCI IT does not respond to inputs made by customers via computer. RCI IT apparently only responds to elections made by smoke signal.

It is a fact that if all of the Diamonds can just get their drinks in bars all over the ship, there will be no "need" for a Diamond Lounge/Club or a Diamond Concierge. Royal Caribbean then can turn that space into something that generates revenue and eliminate the position of Diamond Concierge.

Just because *you* don't use the Concierge for anything doesn't mean that others can't.

This news makes me really sad! The majority of Concierges (both DL and CL) that we've experienced have been wonderful and have helped us with various things, although we don't usually need much from them. They've done or changed a some reservations for us and solved a few minor problems.

I'll never forget that shortened Allure hurricane Isaac cruise in Aug 2012 (I think you were there too, Carol!) when Guest Services was totally jammed with people the whole cruise. I griped a little to friends in the DL about having to go stand in line at GS to get my internet coupon applied. The DL Concierge (whose name I do not remember, I'm embarrassed to admit) overheard me and with a big smile told me he could take care of that for me, which he did. Now that was a WOW! It was just great to have access to someone who could help with whatever you needed.

Moreover, I think these people are fantastic front men/women for the cruise line. They are the ones with the real face to face interaction with RC's best customers.

Judy

Between this and the Diamond Lounge (for ships that have it), it's another reason why the drink package would be a waste of money for me:D

I really love seeing the positive reaction to this roll-out. I do feel that this CC'ers point brings up many questions:

some pros:

• Regardless of all their IT issues and other complaints we've had recently (ie. lack of solo supplements, depleting C&A benefits such on-board booking obc, etc) RCL I feel usually listens to the masses. Obviously there was a demand for this with overfilling lounges, and for those travelling with friends & partners not with enough C&A status, to roll this out
  • It allows anyone to have a drink at the Sky-bar at sunset for example, in the Solarium while still enjoying the pool, etc without changing into the smart casual gear needed for the lounges.
  • It gives the freedom to visit your favorite bar no matter where on the ship... R-bar, Schooner, you-name-it

some cons:

• defeats the purpose of DL and CL... a gathering place for D, D+ & Pinnacle to come together as a group. Marion_Mom is totally correct... this may put the lounges in jeopardy of existence. I we all leave the DL to go to other bars and not bother, those lounges may be cut
  • I can just see asking for drinks and fighting with the various bartenders as to what is or isn't allowed
  • This move may result in a whole lot more of free booze being poured fleet wide, as the many that don't go to the Dl consistently can sit wherever they are (ie. pool deck or hot tub) and have free drinks from there, not needing to spend the $6-$8 at the "local" bar instead.

There's been a general commentary on how RCL is acting only in their best interests lately (ie. dilution of C&A benefits like on-board obc's, skyrocketing prices immediately before so-called sales, etc etc etc). With RCL presumably thinking primarily "for themselves", what does everyone believe their main motive is to roll out this program?

Here are the bar drinks available under this plan. I have a menu they go by and will provide you. I got this on the INDY. H

P1020958_zps6d7068d1.jpg

Im so happy to see my tequila is on there! It's not available in the CL, so I will take advantage of those vouchers! ;)

This news makes me really sad! The majority of Concierges (both DL and CL) that we've experienced have been wonderful and have helped us with various things, although we don't usually need much from them. They've done or changed a some reservations for us and solved a few minor problems.

I'll never forget that shortened Allure hurricane Isaac cruise in Aug 2012 (I think you were there too, Carol!) when Guest Services was totally jammed with people the whole cruise. I griped a little to friends in the DL about having to go stand in line at GS to get my internet coupon applied. The DL Concierge (whose name I do not remember, I'm embarrassed to admit) overheard me and with a big smile told me he could take care of that for me, which he did. Now that was a WOW! It was just great to have access to someone who could help with whatever you needed.

Moreover, I think these people are fantastic front men/women for the cruise line. They are the ones with the real face to face interaction with RC's best customers.

Judy

Yes, that is the cruise on which we met! :)

So can I get a pina'colada?

No. No blender drinks. Just straight up drinks. See the list of liquor below. Most (but not all) lounge bar servers will make you a cosmo or a lemon drop, using the listed booze.

:)

And SERIOUSLY, FOLKS. I started a thread about this in March.

Here is a renewal of my PSA:

If you are on a ship where this program has been rolled out..........

If you are ordering drinks in random bars around the ship for free on this program...............

TIP YOUR SERVERS!

I think this is such a nice idea overall--and a win-win for guests and the cruise line. I bet they end up selling more drinks overall because when Diamonds are meeting up with non diamond friends at a bar, those friends who may have otherwise not gone to a bar before dinner, will order something.

I don't like much alcohol--I am hoping I can still get just canned cokes with these vouchers.

Yes.

I believe it is possible, but I hope that does not happen. We liked the concierge lounge to sit in and play cards, have a little breakfast, get coffee and cocoa, etc throughout the day--and like running into people in there at all hours and I assumed that now that we are diamond we would feel the same way about that lounge. We were far from the only people using the lounge at times other than cocktail hour--was that not the norm?

Yes. (I don't want to disappoint you!)

RC is trying to get rid of Concierges in another cost-cutting move.

I see this in another light. This saves the cost and planning for the nightly 'Diamond Event' and avoids crowding in the Diamond and Concierge lounges.

They are having to take top staff from other venues to schedule them to move during those hours to service a limited group of passengers.

This may cause staffing problems in other parts of the ship and it is more operationally feasible to spread D and D+ passengers across venues that already need to be maintained during opening hours.

There is also a revenue impact of having experienced cruisers ordering cocktails at all venues on the ship. Passengers are not attracted to empty venues around the ship and making them more social enhances the experience and other passengers may be influenced by the drink orders of the experienced cruiser in making their own drink choice.

""IF"" I have 6PM dinner & want 2 drinks before AND

after dinner. (Lounge hours are 5-8:30) I guess

I am out of luck???

Jack--LOL

Why are you out of luck? Stop by the lounge (or bar now) using your card on the way to dinner and have two drinks, and then after dinner (should be done by 7:30) stop and have two more. Voila, problem solved.

Edited by jmrothermel

I am going to agree wtih Marion Mom. Make Sure you are tipping your servers. Trust me. Take care of them, and they will take care of you.

I have had Bar Servers and Waiters remember my name and drinks a year later. In all honesty its none of my buisness, but it does upset me that some people don't take care of them!

Also, This may help to cut down on some of the lounge crowding. Let's not get too far in speculation... For now, you can still get drinks in the Concierge or Diamond Club, but if you don't like to go to the lounges for whatever reason, you can go somewhere else and use your "coupons". For the people who are saying they wanted an extra drink above the three, just go to whichever club and get one. (It is my understanding they are not using the "coupons" in the lounges?)

Bottom line, this is a perk that truely is valuable to many of us. How about not complaining about it to the point they take it away... - Just a thought.

Edited by Firefighterhoop

Just got this email from RC:

YOUR ONBOARD LOUNGE BENEFITS JUST GOT BETTER

We are excited to introduce an expanded Crown & Anchor Society benefit for you during your upcoming cruise! In addition to the nightly receptions at the Diamond Lounge and the Concierge Lounge (for our Diamond Plus and Pinnacle guests), you now have the flexibility to enjoy happy hour at a wide variety of bars onboard.

Your SeaPass Card will be pre-loaded with three complimentary drink vouchers for each night of the sailing, which can be used during nightly lounge hours. Toast your way around the ship, on us!

This expanded benefit will be slowly rolled out across the entire fleet by Fall. Kindly note, drinks vouchers are not valid in the main dining room, the Windjammer Café or in any of our specialty restaurants, and expire daily.*

Guess they're here to stay! I think it's a nice perk, especially on ships without a dedicated Diamond Lounge.

When we did the Transatlantic on the Serenade in April this year we were giving unlimited drinks in 5 bars between 4.30 and 8pm each night.

They started this on Celebrity last year and IMHO, it is great. If you are traveling with friends that are not at the same level, you can still get together for cocktails and not have to give up the D/Concierge lounge. 3 drinks a night is more than enough for us!

Now we can enjoy pre dinner drinks with the family members who will be with us on our cruises. That's a good thing.