What do you LOVE about P&O?

Presto2

Liverpool only makes sense for ships sailing north or east. If they are going to the Med etc. it is out of their way using extra fuel.

It's only an extra 117 nautical miles so not that much really. Although the costs would be extra the sailing in and out of the port would be far better in Liverpool to Southampton.

I am obviously biased as I live about 20 minutes from the Liverpool docks but the Liverpool waterfront is stunning in comparison to Southampton which is mainly industrial.

Liverpool have repaid the monies and are in the process of turning the Cunard Building into a passenger terminal which will be ready next year I think. Then they can be a complete turnaround port.

Thank you for that clarification.

As I said in my post I wasn't sure of the latest situation only that a representative of Liverpool Council was on Southern region TV arguing that they should not have to repay the grant, but I think that was when they were lobbying to have to restriction lifted. I guess they must have changed their minds and come to the conclusion that repaying the grant was a better strategy. ;)

However, having researched it, it would appear that they have done a deal which does not require them to repay the £8.6m they received from the EU and only part of the £9.2m they received from the UK government.

I acknowledge we have our regional biases (although I live in the south I originate from Stoke-on-Trent) but your reference to Southampton's industrial waterfront is a little unfair as you are conveniently forgetting ship's routing takes them down the Solent and around the Isle of Wight which is also very pleasant view. Whatever the one pleasing thing about the outcome is that at least one cannot accuse the Government of exhibiting a 'South of England bias'

Edited by Corfe Mixture

It's only an extra 117 nautical miles so not that much really.

Genuinely not taking your logic to task or arguing against your desire for Liverpool to become a turnaround port, but in the case of Med cruises, it is not just cost. 117 nautical miles equates to around 6 hours at sea, which might not fit in with planned departure times from some of the last ports of call.

Obviously this can be dealt with by either departing earlier, or changing the final port of call, and many would argue for more ships stopping at La Rochelle.

Unfortunately, La Rochelle blotted its copybook some years back when the dockers decided to blockade the port to cruise ships as a political protest after the local left wing candidate Ségolene Royal lost the Presidential election to Nicolas Sarkozy (I was there at the time they denied entry to Ventura on her proposed first visit) and ALL cruise lines appear reluctant to believe the town's assurances that this will not be repeated and there is now very little cruise traffic in La Rochelle (I think P&O have just three visits planned for 2015).

Sadly even if they do decide make more use of La Rochelle again, given the past history, the lines will want to have diversion alternatives, and there aren't that many alternative last ports of call north of La Coruna (other than Brest, and La Verdun - which they substituted for La Rochelle in all cruises after the above incident - neither of which are brilliant by any standards).

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Genuinely not taking your logic to task or arguing against your desire for Liverpool to become a turnaround port, but in the case of Med cruises, it is not just cost. 117 nautical miles equates to around 6 hours at sea, which might not fit in with planned departure times from some of the last ports of call.

Obviously this can be dealt with by either departing earlier, or changing the final port of call, and many would argue for more ships stopping at La Rochelle.

Unfortunately, La Rochelle blotted its copybook some years back when the dockers decided to blockade the port to cruise ships as a political protest after the local left wing candidate Ségolene Royal lost the Presidential election to Nicolas Sarkozy (I was there at the time they denied entry to Ventura on her proposed first visit) and ALL cruise lines appear reluctant to believe the town's assurances that this will not be repeated and there is now very little cruise traffic in La Rochelle (I think P&O have just three visits planned for 2015).

Sadly even if they do decide make more use of La Rochelle again, given the past history, the lines will want to have diversion alternatives, and there aren't that many alternative last ports of call north of La Coruna (other than Brest, and La Verdun - which they substituted for La Rochelle in all cruises after the above incident - neither of which are brilliant by any standards).

Don't get me wrong I don't mind sailing from Southampton but I do find it predominantly industrial with very little to see until you get towards Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight. I just think Liverpool has much more to offer sailing to and from the terminal. I'm not sure if you have seen the waterfront lately but it has changed beyond recognition and is rightly having a lot of large cruise ships calling there. In fact next year on 25th May all 3 Cunard ships will meet outside the Cunard building to celebrate 175 years which will be spectacular.

Liverpool as a city has come so far since the notorious 80's and is now a vibrant city we can all be proud of (if you are from there of course). Once you step off the ship you are in the heart of the city and there are so many attractions and excellent shops.

I may sound like an employee of the Liverpool tourist board but I'm not. I genuinely think people who have not visited the city will be pleasantly surprised should they do so. I would love to sail from there one day as it is close and would save me a 4/5 hour journey and when you sail from there you would sail past the Welsh coastline and the 'English Riviera' which I think would add to the experience.

With regards to the extra distance, I understand that it is an additional 5 hours or so at full speed but I have been on many cruises where we have ambled home and had an extra sea day due to us doing, say, 16 knots. Not that I'm complaining as I like the sea days but it is possible to visit similar ports in the Med whilst not increasing the length of the cruise.

Just got back from our first cruise with P&O and still got my sea legs but there are three things we loved about Ventura:

1. the organisation of the fly-cruise elements

2. Entertainment quality - especially Headliners

3. The number, size and location of pools and hot tubs - wish they had been a bit bubblier and a bit hotter, but that's just being picky ;)

3. The number, size and location of pools and hot tubs - wish they had been a bit bubblier and a bit hotter, but that's just being picky ;)

I don't know if they are faulty or have had a feature turned off as you are right they are not very bubbly and there is a white button on the side that does nothing. It's as if they are in standby mode permanently.

It may only be a Swan Hellenic ship but the picture below is the reason I would love to sail from Liverpool. On a lovely day like today I don't think there are too many ports in the world that can compare with the view. Ruby Princess is in on Monday as well.

ph5.jpg.36626bc58f8293cb64885adbd21b8b13.jpg

It may only be a Swan Hellenic ship but the picture below is the reason I would love to sail from Liverpool. On a lovely day like today I don't think there are too many ports in the world that can compare with the view. Ruby Princess is in on Monday as well.

This looks wonderful. Have never sailed from Liverpool - seems an ideal location. Shall we start a new thread about Liverpool as it seems something that people are quite passionate about?

:)

I was born in Liverpool. Some of my earliest memories are of seeing big cruise ships at the Pier Head in the late 50s and early 60 s. Then Liverpool declined, only to rises again from the ashes. I love the iconic river frontage, and it is just over 3 hours drive from Durham rather than 6 to Southampton.

Fred Olsen sometimes do Liverpool. I am tempted.

I'll have the opportunity to try Liverpool as I am on Queen Victoria when the three Cunarders celebrate their 175th anniversary there next year but I am sailing there from Southampton. I wouldn't use it as a terminus as it is too far from me to make it in one day and I wouldn't want to have to waste my annual leave on two days travelling there and home again

Edited by Host Sharon

Ruby Princess is in on Monday as well.

Hi Alan, we're in Sintellens too! Off on Ventura 23/7. We were on Ruby Princess last August - absolutely loved the ship.

Have never sailed from Southampton, think it's too far and too many days at sea.

I think Southampton is lovely to sail out of. You go by Hythe Marina village, then past the River Hamble, loads of sailing boats, then past Fawley and into the Solent, hanging a big left past Cowes. It's beautiful.

I think Southampton is lovely to sail out of. You go by Hythe Marina village, then past the River Hamble, loads of sailing boats, then past Fawley and into the Solent, hanging a big left past Cowes. It's beautiful.

On the other hand Jean any sail out is wonderful as it is the start of another cruise.

Never mind Liverpool as a departure point, what's wrong with North Shields.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On the other hand Jean any sail out is wonderful as it is the start of another cruise.

Nothing wrong with North Shields.

Check out who does use it on a regular basis and it's not just DFDS.

http://www.portoftyne.co.uk/business-divisions/cruises-and-ferries/cruise-schedule.php

We'd love to sail from Stoke on Trent - sadly the canal is too narrow --- ;)

We'd love to sail from Stoke on Trent - sadly the canal is too narrow --- ;)

If I may say so a very negative attitude. Go and get your spade and dig a wider one.

As Clodia says the water front in Liverpool is iconic, I had the great pleasure a couple of years ago working in the Liver building for 6 months and never a day went by without me looking out of the windows and thinking how wonderful it was. Looking from the water to the 3 graces is just as wonderful all 3 buildings are very handsome, whilst working there we did a full tour of the building taking in all the history and climbed to the top - what a view from the top.

We also saw the QM 2 come in to port and stayed to watch her go out with the firework show, we will definitely be there in 2015 when the 3 Cunard ships are in.

If I may say so a very negative attitude. Go and get your spade and dig a wider one.

Would do, but being in the middle of the country has its disadvantages ;)