Single Occupancy surcharge on HAL

ColumbiaSC

A balcony cabin for a solo traveler is nearly always 200% of the base fare. I've looked recently at HAL and found a number of cruises for 150% to 175% supplement (for inside and oceanview cabins). One website I frequent lists special fares for solos and sometimes I will see a nice special like a HAL Baltics cruise for 125% solo supplement (inside).

I don't much mind paying the solo supplement if it's less than the full double amount. I understand the room cost to be the largest part of the fare and just as hotels are priced for double occupancy, so are ship cabins. If you get a percent off that -- either on land or at sea -- I'm happy for it.

As a solo, I know I certainly do NOT spend anywhere near as much as two people.

Like the poster above, I do think it would be a nice gesture on HAL's part to allow us the full perks (OBC, etc.) if we are paying the full supplement.

Edited by cruisemom42

Just for the heck of it, I tried a dummy booking on the October 2014, 42 day Maasdam TrAtl. If one books a Lanai in two back to back 21 day segments, the supplement is only 60% (if my math is correct), substantially below the price of booking the longer cruise. I think I need to call my TA!

Back before my time (pre-1996) Crystal had a 5% single supplement. I've heard stories that couples would book a verandah and a very cheap cabin, but leave the budget cabin empty and share the verandah. Even with the single supplement people would pay less than 2 verandah fares.

Cruise lines need to protect themselves from all kinds of ways to game the system.

Roy

Back before my time (pre-1996) Crystal had a 5% single supplement. I've heard stories that couples would book a verandah and a very cheap cabin, but leave the budget cabin empty and share the verandah. Even with the single supplement people would pay less than 2 verandah fares.

Cruise lines need to protect themselves from all kinds of ways to game the system.

Roy

That's always the rub. A few ruin it for many.

It will be interesting to see what HAL does with the new ship. NCL has single cabins in their new builds and Cunard is retrofitting to add them. (We got some literature on the single cabins from Cunard the other day. Maybe they know something about our marriage or health that we don't. ;) )

The problem with those cabins is that there is almost always a premium associated with them. In my experience they are not generally half of what a regular cabin would be.

My Dad and I cruised together. We got to be friends with our local TA. After Dad passed, the TA would send me emails to encourage me to travel again. Most of the mailings were for trips that Dad and I had booked, then cancelled because of his health issues. She finally sent me one that I wanted to take. It was on HAL. I booked as a Solo.

I trusted this TA and knew that she knew HAL. She told me that HAL had certain "standard rules" for Solo pricing. Alaska tended to be 200% regardless of category. Other cruises tended to be 200% for verandahs and above. Everything else was 160%. Sometimes the Solo pricing will be higher than 200% because it is a popular cruise and/or cabin category. (I dummy priced a cruise and it ended up being 220%. I didn't book that one.)

I took the cruise, enjoyed myself and booked another one after a lot of dummy bookings. Everything she told me seemed to be true.

I only resent one thing about the HAL standard pricing for Solo cruises. I would like it if HAL allowed me to carry two bottles of wine onboard. It would be really nice if HAL would give me a greater Mariner Credit for my cabin.

It would not cost HAL anything and would indicate that HAL likes us Solo cruisers.

The Crew already does that.

It would be nice if the Corporation would.

The problem with those cabins is that there is almost always a premium associated with them. In my experience they are not generally half of what a regular cabin would be.

I agree. Apparently NCL has a dedicated lounge for these cabins. Single cruisers are a growing segment, especially for the lines that cater to a more seasoned clientele. (Note how I skillfully phrased that in a nice, diplomatic fashion?) For lines other than Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney & the like, capturing the solo traveler segment seems like it would be a coup. It appears that everyone is taking a cautious approach. The QE only has 8 singles, for example. Still, I think it's an encouraging sign.

It would be great if one of the lines decided to build out a few single balcony cabins.

I read somewhere that NCL and Cunard were both going to be experimenting with offering single cabins. It seems the market for singles is growing and they want to get a piece of that pie.

Sail ... I totally agree ...Without DH I'm not sure I could sail with anybody other than maybe (big maybe) my sister.

I read somewhere that NCL and Cunard were both going to be experimenting with offering single cabins. It seems the market for singles is growing and they want to get a piece of that pie.

Sail ... I totally agree ...Without DH I'm not sure I could sail with anybody other than maybe (big maybe) my sister.

I value my friends way too much to risk having an unpleasant 'shared' experience. Though we have traveled with some as couples in the past and all was well, it is quite different to share a cabin with another now widowed friend. I'd rather pay more and maintain our wonderful friendship. :)

I am grateful I am in a position to be able to think about sailing at all and to be able to make the solo cabin choice. I do NOT take that for granted.

I agree. Apparently NCL has a dedicated lounge for these cabins. Single cruisers are a growing segment, especially for the lines that cater to a more seasoned clientele. (Note how I skillfully phrased that in a nice, diplomatic fashion?) For lines other than Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney & the like, capturing the solo traveler segment seems like it would be a coup. It appears that everyone is taking a cautious approach. The QE only has 8 singles, for example. Still, I think it's an encouraging sign.

It would be great if one of the lines decided to build out a few single balcony cabins.

That's the thing, I hate to cruise without a balcony anymore. It's getting to be that I want suites now:rolleyes:.

I value my friends way too much to risk having an unpleasant 'shared' experience. Though we have traveled with some as couples in the past and all was well, it is quite different to share a cabin with another now widowed friend. I'd rather pay more and maintain our wonderful friendship. :)

I am grateful I am in a position to be able to think about sailing at all and to be able to make the solo cabin choice. I do NOT take that for granted.

I understand ... totally ... on both issues :)

Ditto!!

...What I REALLY resent is not receiving the full amount of an advertised OBC or not being allowed to carry on two bottles of wine when I am paying the full freight for two people.

I agree. I understand Princess gives double cruise credit for solos. So you get to their "Elite" status or whatever level is next for you faster.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I agree. I understand Princess gives double cruise credit for solos. So you get to their "Elite" status or whatever level is next for you faster.

Princess does. I'm now elite much faster than I got to 4 star on Hal.

I did a dummy booking for the new oceanview single staterooms on QE and they were the same price as a regular (larger) oceanview with the single supplement. No incentive to book a single stateroom in my opinion.

On the QE World Voyage inside, oceanview, and balcony staterooms were all 175% and the suites 200%. Solo cruisers did get double the onboard credit (which was nice).

For my next cruise (on HAL) a solo oceanview stateroom was 160% of the per person rate and a balcony was 200%.

Just create an account on the HAL web site and see what the supplement is on the cruises and cabin categories you are interested in. Of course when there is a very good sale on the supplement tends to go up so when you see the top level page show a major discount increase don't expect the supplement to stay the same. Also when traveling alone you may want to book a cabin in a category under what you really want and hope for an upsell. For example the supplement for an oceanview might be 160% and a verandah 200% but when the $599 upgrade to verandah comes you will pay $1298 but save a few thousand compared to originally booking a verandah.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just create an account on the HAL web site and see what the supplement is on the cruises and cabin categories you are interested in. Of course when there is a very good sale on the supplement tends to go up so when you see the top level page show a major discount increase don't expect the supplement to stay the same. Also when traveling alone you may want to book a cabin in a category under what you really want and hope for an upsell. For example the supplement for an oceanview might be 160% and a verandah 200% but when the $599 upgrade to verandah comes you will pay $1298 but save a few thousand compared to originally booking a verandah...

I just today had an interesting thing happen while checking prices for family member planning a HAL Hawaii R/T cruise. On one upcoming cruise this fall, prices just dropped $200 pp in lower categories, but the single supplement jumped from 160% to 175%. So solo fares end up staying about the same, while those sharing a cabin had their fares decrease.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Just create an account on the HAL web site and see what the supplement is on the cruises and cabin categories you are interested in. Of course when there is a very good sale on the supplement tends to go up so when you see the top level page show a major discount increase don't expect the supplement to stay the same. Also when traveling alone you may want to book a cabin in a category under what you really want and hope for an upsell. For example the supplement for an oceanview might be 160% and a verandah 200% but when the $599 upgrade to verandah comes you will pay $1298 but save a few thousand compared to originally booking a verandah.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

One doesn't need an account to do a fact-finding booking on the HAL site.

Talking about single supplements, I checked both the HAL site and that of a big box TA for the same cruise and category and the double occupancy rate was the same but the BB site was considerably more for the single than the HAL site.

My husband and I were booked on a 28 day Prinsendam cruise for August. He decided he did not want to go as they wouldn't let him take his recliner on the plane or the ship but he told me to go anyway. My single supplement is 160% for an Oceanview room.

• 2 weeks later...
I just today had an interesting thing happen while checking prices for family member planning a HAL Hawaii R/T cruise. On one upcoming cruise this fall, prices just dropped $200 pp in lower categories, but the single supplement jumped from 160% to 175%. So solo fares end up staying about the same, while those sharing a cabin had their fares decrease.

I find this disturbing.

It implies... more than implies... it states that HAL changes the single supplement rate during the booking period?

I booked on the Statendam with the stated intention of adding a second passenger, and from the rate quoted assumed I was paying 200%. In other words the per person rate was about $1500 and when I booked the total booking amount was $3000.

Now, when adding a second person the per person rate is $2000.

So instead of paying $3000 for the cabin with one passenger, HAL wants to charge me $4000. After reading this thread, I believe that the single supplement was 200% when I booked, and now they have changed it to something else. :mad:

Am I wrong in feeling this is unethical?

The explanation the PCC gave me was not plausible... I don't think there was much conviction and he didn't want to tell me what I am discovering here... that they change the percentages on the fly.

I am extraordinarily disappointed and will probably cancel, even though we got the benefits of the Explore4, etc,. but that doesn't make up for what I suspect is an ethical lapse.

What say you guys? I really don't want to cancel, but really feel like I would be endorsing bad behavior. :confused:

...The explanation the PCC gave me was not plausible... I don't think there was much conviction and he didn't want to tell me what I am discovering here... that they change the percentages on the fly...

For years it seemed that HAL single supplements were 150% for lower categories, and 200% for balconies and suites. My TA says that more recently the supplements have become no longer uniform, and can vary from one sailing date to the next.

I didn't realize until now that it appears they may also change them during the booking period (as they do with per person rates). I don't know that it is any more or less ethical than pp rates changing during a booking period, it is just less transparent.

Edited by Ryndam2002

For years it seemed that HAL single supplements were 150% for lower categories, and 200% for balconies and suites. My TA says that more recently the supplements have become no longer uniform, and can vary from one sailing date to the next.

I didn't realize until now that it appears they may also change them during the booking period (as they do with per person rates). I don't know that it is any more or less ethical than pp rates changing during a booking period, it is just less transparent.

I understand your point... my problem is that, first, my stated intention was to add a second passenger when I booked the cruise. At that time, it appears it was a 200% supplement, so adding the second passenger only added taxes and fees. That is what I expected.

Second, now that they have changed the SS %, the cost of the cruise increases nearly 25%, and I had no idea this was even a consideration.

Everyone is aware that the rate can change... they use that to encourage you to book early, or when you see a good rate. I was not aware they can change the SS % even though I made my plans clear at booking. I booked in person with a FCD PCC onboard a cruise.

Actually, two of us sat there together and booked two cabins with the intention of adding passengers. So for the two of us, the cost difference is now nearly $1,000.00 per cabin, or a total of nearly $2,000.00. That was the time to be advised by the FCD PCC that our plans faced an expensive flaw.

"Ethical" may indeed be a strong word, but unless the FCD PCC was as unaware as I was, there was an ethical lapse in my view. Knowing we were doing something that could potentially cause a $1,000.00 charge to a repeat passenger is wrong in my view. Considering the likelihood of me taking exception to this practice and remaining silent is also simply a bad business practice.

I've requested a review, and if they refuse I will cancel the cruise. Likely it will take several other reservations with me since they booked because of my decision, and will follow.

I understand your point... my problem is that, first, my stated intention was to add a second passenger when I booked the cruise. At that time, it appears it was a 200% supplement, so adding the second passenger only added taxes and fees. That is what I expected.

Second, now that they have changed the SS %, the cost of the cruise increases nearly 25%, and I had no idea this was even a consideration.

Everyone is aware that the rate can change... they use that to encourage you to book early, or when you see a good rate. I was not aware they can change the SS % even though I made my plans clear at booking. I booked in person with a FCD PCC onboard a cruise.

Actually, two of us sat there together and booked two cabins with the intention of adding passengers. So for the two of us, the cost difference is now nearly $1,000.00 per cabin, or a total of nearly $2,000.00. That was the time to be advised by the FCD PCC that our plans faced an expensive flaw.

"Ethical" may indeed be a strong word, but unless the FCD PCC was as unaware as I was, there was an ethical lapse in my view. Knowing we were doing something that could potentially cause a $1,000.00 charge to a repeat passenger is wrong in my view. Considering the likelihood of me taking exception to this practice and remaining silent is also simply a bad business practice.

I've requested a review, and if they refuse I will cancel the cruise. Likely it will take several other reservations with me since they booked because of my decision, and will follow.

It looks like you have some time before your final payment date. If you still want to take the cruise, you may want to sit tight for now and keep checking the HAL website for changes in your favor.

For the upcoming HAL cruise I am planning for a family member, both the per person as well as the single supplement rates have gone up and down over the past few weeks. This past weekend, I managed to catch a drop in both the per person as well as the single supplement and got a 10% reduction in the total fare.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by Ryndam2002

To the OP - Minor point, but if you booked on the ship during a cruise, then you booked with a Future Cruise Consultant - not a PCC. What I'm wondering about your fare is maybe the cruise prices have gone up since your original booking as a solo cruiser. It sounds to me like with a "rebooking" you are going to be charged the "current" cruise fare. Example: I booked a cruise in May for October sailing. Depending on the website I checked today (including HAL) the price for my cabin has risen between $1,000-$2,000.