WiFi

wyobean

We had horrible internet service on Volendam, LA to Sydney. Internet was out for days. They said it was due to the lack of a satellite signal as we crossed the ocean. Paid $100 + $3.95 for 250 minutes. Had so much trouble using it when it was "up" that we used our port days to go find real internet. The HAL internet person was very sweet but almost useless, much like their internet signal.

We sailed back east-bound on Ocean Princess across the same ocean; had free 250 minutes each as Platinum and never were we without a signal! HAL's system just doesn't seem to be up to par by my experiences in the Pacific and in the Caribbean. Can't say about other places. m--

OK I'll ask the question - why did you pay nothing for your internet time on the Amsterdam? I followed Jeff's blog of the World Cruise' date=' and he was really upset with the internet service and cost - I am assuming he has as many "stars" as you, but he mentioned being reimbursed because of the awful service.[/quote']

I am not certain but I do not believe your assumption is correct that Jeff is at the same level as we are.

And yes, the internet service on the World Cruise was far less than exemplary.

Scott & Karen

I am not certain but I do not believe your assumption is correct that Jeff is at the same level as we are.

And yes, the internet service on the World Cruise was far less than exemplary.

Scott & Karen

Thanks. At what level do you get totally free Wifi? Just curious - I'm never likely to reach it.:o

I am Five Star/Platinum and we get 50% off a 100 minute package though as I wrote above, I have gotten the discount off 250 minute package.

Five Star is 500 days which includes bonus suite and spending days.

Platinum Medallion is 700 actual days on board.

I am unaware of free WiFi for any Mariner level but that does not mean there isn't one. Perhaps President's Club gets some free time?

Thanks. At what level do you get totally free Wifi? Just curious - I'm never likely to reach it.:o

We are also 5 star Mariners and also have over 700 actual days on HAL.

And the only discount we have gotten is the 50% off of the 100 minutes.

Maybe those belonging to the President's Club get some free minutes. You have to have 1100 actual days and be invited. I know that we will not make it to that level.

The number of days for President's Club keeps being reported here at a different level.

Some say 1,200 days, some say 1,400 and now you say 1,100. :D

I thought it was 1200, but since I'll never make that number of days, I won't quibble. ;)

I thought it was 1200, but since I'll never make that number of days, I won't quibble. ;)

:) I think it is 1,200, too, but like you, I doubt I will make it, Ruth.

I'm not sure I want to as it would be very demoralizing to reach the number of days and then not be invited to join. :eek:

I'm not sure I want to as it would be very demoralizing to reach the number of days and then not be invited to join. :eek:

Their loss.

What's that line about "I wouldn't want to be in a club that would have me as a member...."

Something like that. :D

We had horrible internet service on Volendam, LA to Sydney. Internet was out for days. They said it was due to the lack of a satellite signal as we crossed the ocean. Paid $100 + $3.95 for 250 minutes. Had so much trouble using it when it was "up" that we used our port days to go find real internet. The HAL internet person was very sweet but almost useless, much like their internet signal.

We sailed back east-bound on Ocean Princess across the same ocean; had free 250 minutes each as Platinum and never were we without a signal! HAL's system just doesn't seem to be up to par by my experiences in the Pacific and in the Caribbean. Can't say about other places. m--

We crossed the Atlantic on the Prinsendam in May and I honestly expected a 'dead zone' for at least a couple of days. That has been my experience in the past. On the Prinsendam we kept the signal for the entire crossing. It did drop a couple times for a few minutes but I was able to get done what I needed to do.

To contrast, on the Caribbean, I had huge difficulties on the Maasdam this time. I walked off the ship with unused minutes :eek: After the first couple of days it seemed to be better. Not sure why there would be a problem in the Caribbean except that there is no internet manager - there is a librarian now whose knowledge is limited (IMO and experience) to say the least.

We'll see what happens on the EE in the fall - I just hope it is the regular packages that we are used to. I don't plan on paying $600 ($149.99 x 4) for internet. I don't need unlimited - just some access. I can compose off line and then send later to save time :)

I imagine you are aware of the mariner medallion program as differentiated from the mariner star program. A star level is dependent on the accumulation of cruise credit days (which consider suite residence and onboard spending,) while a medallion level is dependent solely on days cruised.

The medallion levels are 100 days for copper, 300 days for silver, 500 days for gold and 700 days for platinum. The gold medallion level is a somewhat more experienced milestone than the 5 star level (which requires 500 cruise credit days) as suite residence and onboard spending are not considered.

Then we get to what has been termed the worst kept secret in the cruise industry. There is a level not usually discussed, referred to as the President’s Club, which is equivalent to a double platinum. That is 1,400 days (roughly 4 years) actually cruised on HAL ships and oh, there are other requirements including the necessity of not being involved in the travel industry as a professional and of being invited to join. As of this spring, there were a total of 51 living members of the club worldwide, about 2/3 of whom are still cruising.

Karen and I, as well as our good friends Brian and Louise (happyglobetrotter,) are all members of the President’s Club.

Scott & Karen

You likely know Herb and Joyce. I'll not mention their last name here but they are a terrific couple we've sailed with several times.

Getting back to the thread subject.........

Do you get any free WiFi as President's Club members?

Getting back to the thread subject.........

Do you get any free WiFi as President's Club members?

I'm glad you asked that. While it was good to get a definitive answer on the President's Club, it was kind of a non answer on the WiFi. :)

I imagine you are aware of the mariner medallion program as differentiated from the mariner star program. A star level is dependent on the accumulation of cruise credit days (which consider suite residence and onboard spending,) while a medallion level is dependent solely on days cruised.

The medallion levels are 100 days for copper, 300 days for silver, 500 days for gold and 700 days for platinum. The gold medallion level is a somewhat more experienced milestone than the 5 star level (which requires 500 cruise credit days) as suite residence and onboard spending are not considered.

Then we get to what has been termed the worst kept secret in the cruise industry. There is a level not usually discussed, referred to as the President’s Club, which is equivalent to a double platinum. That is 1,400 days (roughly 4 years) actually cruised on HAL ships and oh, there are other requirements including the necessity of not being involved in the travel industry as a professional and of being invited to join. As of this spring, there were a total of 51 living members of the club worldwide, about 2/3 of whom are still cruising.

Karen and I, as well as our good friends Brian and Louise (happyglobetrotter,) are all members of the President’s Club.

Scott & Karen

So a very, very small handful of HAL's customers get that perk. Not much help to the many 4 and 5 star mariners who receive nothing by way of free wifi minutes, whereas other cruise lines, it seems, does reward people at that level. Sheesh, and here was I thinking you had found a loophole to get free minutes.:o

Not much help to the many 4 and 5 star mariners who receive nothing by way of free wifi minutes' date=' ....[/quote']

Five star Mariners do effectively get some free minutes, as we get 1/2 off the price of a 100-minute package (or equivalent on a larger package)---so 50 free minutes.

I'm not saying that's a lot, but it is a little more than "nothing".

Five star Mariners do effectively get some free minutes, as we get 1/2 off the price of a 100-minute package (or equivalent on a larger package)---so 50 free minutes.

I'm not saying that's a lot, but it is a little more than "nothing".

And a heck of a lot less than 1,000 free minutes.;)

Edited by Marco's Tia

I'm planning cruise Iberian explorer 14 days with ms Rotterdam on the 13th of September 2014 and have plenty of questions (first cruise in my life), but most important is internet. :D

Edited by Impreza555

there is option for unlimited internet on my phone sim card.

Your phone sim card may have unlimited internet but the ship’s satellite system will still charge you a bunch for the phone connection, whether it’s voice or data.

Sorry.

Scott & Karen

there is option for unlimited internet on my phone sim card.

All internet use at sea on the ship goes through the satellite. You cannot get internet without paying HAL for WiFi.