photo's

bluemug

Just back from fjords. plenty of my own "happy snaps" and plenty of Me in the ships gallery. At the last count there were 10 pics of me on the gallery board. Might be fun if anyone can beat that (captain excluded)

I have always thought P&O are mad with their prices, just over £11 for a single photograph!

As you know they print them all which must cost a small fortune, why not sell them for £3-4? At that price I would probably buy some. £15 for a cardboard folder with all your cruise pictures? Yep I wouldn't hesitate and I'm sure most would buy them as well at that price even though they will go in a drawer when you get home never to be looked at again. At the very least they might cover their printing costs if not the wages of the staff.

Some ships have digital displays which clearly save a fortune on printing but with most people having a half decent camera in their phones they are doomed to become irrelevant.

We used to try and avoid the ships paps but now find it quicker to throw up a cheesy grin and walk away.

If it's your first cruise and you've got some on board spends burning a hole in your account I get it, but how many tuxedo/smart frock shots do you want? At least my own snaps have a special meaning to me.

Cheers,

BR

My personal hate is when they come round the dining room. If you are on a biggish table they expect you all to get up and get positioned where they want you - its a big no from me

If you are on a table where you all get on with the other diners, its fun to get up and pose behind someone elses partner. The looks you get in the photo gallery are something else.

One of the diners on our last cruise said that the photographers get paid by how many they put on the photo board. I suppose its a way of advertising. No photos on the board equals no sales.

Anyway gang; keep posing, it fills the board.

I agree, whilst the dining room portrait can be nice if you want one, its bloomin' annoying when the come around asking. Even worse when you're actually eating. "It'll only take a few seconds" was the explanation.. yeah like I'm going to stand up and pose while my dinner is getting cold.

That being said, I do feel sorry for the photogs at times, they seem to have to push/sell all the time (no doubt a request from HQ) and it just becomes too much now, which then inevitably results in some rather unnecessary and rude responses from some guests.

• 1 month later...
Just back from fjords. plenty of my own "happy snaps" and plenty of Me in the ships gallery. At the last count there were 10 pics of me on the gallery board. Might be fun if anyone can beat that (captain excluded)

Hi gang

going to Baltic on Oriana next month. Will have to see if I can beat my tally of 10 on display board. Treat the photographers as people trying to do a job. Having a photo taken is not the "big bad JU-ju" as some folk think.:)

Hi gang

going to Baltic on Oriana next month. Will have to see if I can beat my tally of 10 on display board. Treat the photographers as people trying to do a job. Having a photo taken is not the "big bad JU-ju" as some folk think.:)

I never knew people try to get as many pics up on the board as possible. I generally only let them take my photo if it is something that I might buy, otherwise I feel they are wasting my time and theirs. We normally pose on formal nights since I am more likely to buy those.

I avoid them too, and it is such a waste of paper letting them print up photos you have no intention of buying. I understand that as the ships go in for refit they are all getting the TV touch screen galleries like Azura and Ventura.

We are building up a little album of different locations etc, but were recently a bit disappointed on Arcadia when our group of four didn't get asked anywhere on formal night, nobody came round during dinner. We weren't that fussed enough to go and seek out a photographer, just thought it a bit odd that they weren't pushing that night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I avoid them too, and it is such a waste of paper letting them print up photos you have no intention of buying. I understand that as the ships go in for refit they are all getting the TV touch screen galleries like Azura and Ventura.

Oceana has the screens now.

We don't have many taken, but be nice to them, they are only trying to make a living and in most cases a career.

It's so much easier just to smile and let them take a photo, after all it's their job......although I do draw the line if you are in the middle of your meal. A lot also depends on the attitude of the photographer - how pushy they are. Last year we had a great table of 4 couples who got on really well and we used to swop partners (only at the dinner table of course), my husband was sitting opposite me with one of the other ladies, when the photographer came along he assumed they were a couple and wanted to get the perfect photo of them so took several from different angles and couldn't understand why the rest of us were killing ourselves laughing and encouraging him. Such happy memories ..... all because of one pushy photographer.

Edited by kathsmum

Must be the odd one out, every opportunity we pose, smile, click.

They have a job to do and it takes 2 or 3 seconds to have a photo taken.

Every opportunity we smile, it's part of the cruise. Especially the silly ones getting off the ship.

Only ever bought three by the way.

The people who refuse with a scowl seems to me to take longer to refuse than to smile pose click.

Happy cruising...:-)

We usually have pictures taken on formal nights and we have bought a few. A portrait picture would cost a fortune in Photographers Studio.

Some have made nice additional presents for people such my Mum. We had some lovely ones taken when we took the mother in law for her first cruise. The rest of the family liked having a picture of her all glamed up.

I too do not like being disturbed for pictures when I'm eating, though I do have some nice ones of previous tablemates in the album.

The pictures I REALLY hate are the ones where I look at them and think," Oh, for goodness sake!! I thought I looked good when I left the cabin!". And the ones where your hair/fringe is all over the place having popped out on deck after dinner. Did they really think I was going to buy one of myself with lipstick on my teeth or my hair looking like I've done a 'Kate Winslet' at the bow!:eek:

Blackrat said - but I couldn't copy via the quote icon

'I have always thought P&O are mad with their prices, just over £11 for a single photograph!.....why not sell them for £3-4? At that price I would probably buy some. £15 for a cardboard folder with all your cruise pictures? Yep I wouldn't hesitate and I'm sure most would buy them as well at that price.'

I agree with you, Blackrat.We would probably buy at that price.

Edited by Scriv

Blackrat said - but I couldn't copy via the quote icon

'I have always thought P&O are mad with their prices, just over £11 for a single photograph!.....why not sell them for £3-4? At that price I would probably buy some. £15 for a cardboard folder with all your cruise pictures? Yep I wouldn't hesitate and I'm sure most would buy them as well at that price.'

I agree with you, Blackrat.We would probably buy at that price.

End of our last cruise (10 on the board) I asked if I could buy the photos for£1 each. Nothing doing. When asked what happens to them I was told they would get shredded. What a waste. Not only of the chance to recoup some of the expenditure, but a waste on some crewmans time shredding the things.

My wife loves paper photos so on our last (and first) cruise we ended up spending about £70+ on photos and a frame. To be fair, some of the formal poses did come out quite nice, except that they could have been taken anywhere.

I've already primed the OH that we now have all the photos that we need and therefore our October cruise will be photo free.

Somehow, sadly I don't think that may be the case :mad:

• 4 weeks later...
Must be the odd one out, every opportunity we pose, smile, click.

They have a job to do and it takes 2 or 3 seconds to have a photo taken.

Every opportunity we smile, it's part of the cruise. Especially the silly ones getting off the ship.

Only ever bought three by the way.

The people who refuse with a scowl seems to me to take longer to refuse than to smile pose click.

Happy cruising...:-)

Off to baltic next week. Hair slicked and dentures polished. Let me at that photo board.

At least they are less expensive than the US lines. However on Celebrity the photographers are pretty invisible with no high pressure selling.

Whilst they are introducing screens on P&O to review your photos they still print a lot of physical copies as well.

The shredding of so many prints at the end of a cruise goes against cruise lines eco publicity and could be avoided through lower pricing or interactive screens only,

In these days of most phones having cameras plus many repeat passengers not wanting duplicate photos the photographers must surely be on a decline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk