Which airline would you choose?

cruisemuse13

After much pondering of the possible scenarios, for our November cruise, we have finally decided to fly from Toronto to Rome, then at the end of the cruise take the train to Madrid, and fly home to Toronto from there. I have narrowed our flight choices down to 3 options. All three options have a connecting flight each way, and the price is very similar.

So the difference boils down to the airline, and the connecting airport. My choices are

1. Air Canada,for the intercontinental flight, and Lufthansa for the regional flight, both connecting in Munich.

2. KLM for the intercontinental, and Air Europa for the regional, connecting in Amsterdam

3. Aer Lingus, with the intercontinental flight on a Boeing 757 leased from Air Contractors, and the Dublin to Europe flight by Aer lingus Airbus A320

Any thoughts about the airline, or Munich vs Amsterdam vs Munich, that would make one route preferable? Or I may just flip a coin :o ( I did eliminate British Airways because I prefer not to connect in Heathrow...long story)

Thank you for any suggestions.

Munich will be better than Amsterdam, in terms of ease of use, and it is smaller. But Amsterdam is pretty user friendly.

If you are in coach, Lufthansa and Air Canada won't be much different.

Haven't been on Aer Lingus for a very long time, due to a bad previous experience. Hopefully they have improved.

Just did Rome-Toronto in Business on Air Canada. Pretty nice.

1. Air Canada,for the intercontinental flight, and Lufthansa for the regional flight, both connecting in Munich.

2. KLM for the intercontinental, and Air Europa for the regional, connecting in Amsterdam

3. Aer Lingus, with the intercontinental flight on a Boeing 757 leased from Air Contractors, and the Dublin to Europe flight by Aer lingus Airbus A320

I personally like AMS. Huge, but very manageable. Signage is fantastic, shopping diverse, plus you can make a museum stop while in the airport.

Not quite sure you have #2 down pat. Air Europa (UX) does not fly AMS-FCO, so I think you have a KL to KL connect at AMS on the outbound. Maybe KL to Alitalia (AZ). They do fly MAD-AMS, so you have it right for the return.

Flew UX in April. Quite satisfactory for a short hop. KL is efficient, with a number of different paid seating upgrade (within the coach cabin) options - be sure to read their website for details on what you get for free and what you need to pay for.

One other issue to consider....which alliance, if any, do you want to earn miles in? You can get Star with AC/LH or SkyTeam with KL/UX, and with over 9200 miles earned for this round trip, it's nothing to sneeze at. At a 2 cent metric, that's a value of $180+, and even at 1.5 cents, that's $135+ in value.

Finally, have you checked out the equipment offerings for the long-haul? Sometimes, the aircraft configuration can swing a decision.

Edited by FlyerTalker

Munich will be better than Amsterdam, in terms of ease of use, and it is smaller. But Amsterdam is pretty user friendly.

If you are in coach, Lufthansa and Air Canada won't be much different.

Haven't been on Aer Lingus for a very long time, due to a bad previous experience. Hopefully they have improved.

Just did Rome-Toronto in Business on Air Canada. Pretty nice.

I should have mentioned that I am flying economy.

Past years I have been able to get a direct flight from Toronto to Rome on AC but that has been in October, not November. Business class must be nice:)

I personally like AMS. Huge, but very manageable. Signage is fantastic, shopping diverse, plus you can make a museum stop while in the airport.

Not quite sure you have #2 down pat. Air Europa (UX) does not fly AMS-FCO, so I think you have a KL to KL connect at AMS on the outbound. Maybe KL to Alitalia (AZ). They do fly MAD-AMS, so you have it right for the return.

Flew UX in April. Quite satisfactory for a short hop. KL is efficient, with a number of different paid seating upgrade (within the coach cabin) options - be sure to read their website for details on what you get for free and what you need to pay for.

One other issue to consider....which alliance, if any, do you want to earn miles in? You can get Star with AC/LH or SkyTeam with KL/UX, and with over 9200 miles earned for this round trip, it's nothing to sneeze at. At a 2 cent metric, that's a value of $180+, and even at 1.5 cents, that's $135+ in value.

Finally, have you checked out the equipment offerings for the long-haul? Sometimes, the aircraft configuration can swing a decision.

For the return flight I am flying from Madrid to Toronto, so that is why it is on Air Europa.

The Air Canada plane does have the rows 2 seats, by 3 seats, by 2 seats which is nice to get the 2 seats together. All of the other flights are rows of 3 seats.

And I usually just fly once a year, so have not given the airmiles much thought since I didn't know they would add up to much, Obviously, I have been making a mistake and will definitely join for this trip.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I should have mentioned that I am flying economy.

Past years I have been able to get a direct flight from Toronto to Rome on AC but that has been in October, not November. Business class must be nice:)

I think I read the other day Rome to Toronto is seasonal...it is reduced or not scheduled at all for the winter months.

For the return flight I am flying from Madrid to Toronto, so that is why it is on Air Europa.
UX doesn't fly MAD-YYZ. And they don't fly from AMS to FCO. So, you may have UX tickets, but not UX metal.

My suspicion: YYZ-AMS on KL, AMS-FCO on KL, MAD-AMS on UX and AMS-YYZ on KL. Correct?

And I usually just fly once a year, so have not given the airmiles much thought since I didn't know they would add up to much, Obviously, I have been making a mistake and will definitely join for this trip.
Yep, it's a form of "rebate" that should be a part of the purchasing decision. But so many ignore it. Especially on TATL and TPAC trips, you can really pile them on. Still remember one Asian roundtrip where, with status and promotional bonuses, I earned over 55k miles - while booked in coach (no class of service bonus). It pays to be aware.
You're welcome. Feel free to ask for anything else.

All things being equal I still prefer Air Canada. Given the flight is seasonal check to see if it's actually an Air Canada "Rouge" flight. If so consider that they Rouge planes (usually 767s) are configured differently and hold more passengers than the standard Air Canada 767. Many people are complaining about the cramped cabins on long distance Rouge flights.

All things being equal I still prefer Air Canada. Given the flight is seasonal check to see if it's actually an Air Canada "Rouge" flight. If so consider that they Rouge planes (usually 767s) are configured differently and hold more passengers than the standard Air Canada 767. Many people are complaining about the cramped cabins on long distance Rouge flights.

The Toronto-Rome route is not Rouge, it is currently on an A330.

[Quote

My suspicion: YYZ-AMS on KL, AMS-FCO on KL, MAD-AMS on UX and AMS-YYZ on KL. Correct? Quote

Yes, FlyerTalker, that is correct.

Quote Yep, it's a form of "rebate" that should be a part of the purchasing decision. But so many ignore it. Especially on TATL and TPAC trips, you can really pile them on. Still remember one Asian roundtrip where, with status and promotional bonuses, I earned over 55k miles - while booked in coach (no class of service bonus). It pays to be aware. Quote

I signed up last night for 2 different loyalty programs so I am glad you brought the benefits to my attention.

QuoteYou're welcome. Feel free to ask for anything else.

It is always nice to count on the friendly advice found on CruiseCritic.

The Air Canada plane does have the rows 2 seats, by 3 seats, by 2 seats which is nice to get the 2 seats together. All of the other flights are rows of 3 seats.

For the combo of being able to grab the 2 seats together (always nice) + the fact that you live in Canada where Star Alliance is king (er, sorry, queen...at least for a few more years), I would choose Air Canada. Also, Munich is a ridiculously easy airport to change at. In my book, the easiest in Europe - easier than AMS, easier than FRA.

Edited by Zach1213

AI did eliminate British Airways because I prefer not to connect in Heathrow...long story

I'd still consider this. Heathrow connections can vary in ease and complexity depending upon the airlines you've switched between and terminals.

A BA connection would be T5 to T5 for your routing and is remarkably straightforward and easy. One of the easiest international connections anywhere I'd say.

I'd still consider this. Heathrow connections can vary in ease and complexity depending upon the airlines you've switched between and terminals.

A BA connection would be T5 to T5 for your routing and is remarkably straightforward and easy. One of the easiest international connections anywhere I'd say.

I connect through LHR on a regular basis and it's always pretty easy. I do get to speed through thanks to FF status, but I get a view of the "regular" lines and, while they can be long, it's generally not too awful. It's not FRA, MUC or AMS, but it's also not as bad as many people think it is. T5 is lovely, I really enjoy it, and as mentioned, an all-BA itinerary will keep you in T5 for your destination (some BA flights operate out of other terminals, but not many).

Avoid Air Europa. Safe but a national disgrace. They are in an interesting economic situation and service has deteriorated drammatically lately.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

Avoid Air Europa. Safe but a national disgrace. They are in an interesting economic situation and service has deteriorated drammatically lately.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

Oh, no, just an hour ago I decided to book with KLM. We wanted to try something different than Air Canada and a flight on Lufthansa was the most uncomfortable I have ever flown, so we decided to go with KLM. Also, the return flight was an hour less inflight than Air Canada. And I have heard the Amsterdam airport has some nice shopping to fill in your time during the layover. Also, I booked one of the few rows of 2 seats only for the intecontinental flights.

I didn't know too much about Air Europa. I just hope they have improved by November. We will be on Air Europa for the one flight from Madrid to Amsterdam.

My favorite airlines for flying transatlantic are Air France and in the Pacific, Singapore Airlines.

For American airlines, I prefer Delta and try to avoid American. Of course, we have occasionally flown USAirways, which was ok, but now they will be a part of American.

Hello...never having flown to Europe, we are also facing a time consuming decision on what airline to take for our May 3rd cruise next year.

The confusion stems from me, over thinking everything after reading several traveler comments and reviews about what airlines are the best, and how comfortable or uncomfortable, some models of planes are compared to others.

I'm finding out that a 767, 777, 787-8, and 747, along with the Airbus-330-300 and 380, could have more or less leg room from one airlines fleet to another. Some airlines have newer models than others, better entertainment, etc. Where can someone find any of this out?

We have a couple of options:

1...Fly from Syracuse, NY to JFK on Delta, then change planes and fly non-stop on a Delta Airbus 330-300 to Barcelona, and the same non-stop flight back on the same type of aircraft.

Seems very simple...no code share or nothing, just Delta.

Not sure about the plane, but for $69 each each way, we can upgrade to a Economy Comfort seat with more leg room. Just not sure what seats to choose.

2...We can drive from Syracuse to Toronto, about 5-hours, then fly British Airways. There is one stop at Heathrow each way for about an hour or so. But, the plane is one of these newer 787-8 planes. I think this plane has 3 seats next to each window while the Delta flight only has two seats, that might be better for two people.

Upfront it would seem like a no brainier to take the non stop on Delta, however, flights out of Toronto are cheaper and flying out of Toronto is about $700 less. Maybe the savings isn't worth a connecting flight especially flying to Europe for the first time.

Any thoughts would be helpful along with any comments if anyone has flown on Delta with the Airbus 330-300.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Dave,

We like flying on the 767 instead of 777, since the 767 has a seat configuration of two seats next to the windows instead of three on the 777. On real long 777 flights with three seats in the configuration, DW and I have decided that I take the aisle seat and she takes the window, with usually a stranger in the middle.

We have done the Economy Comfort on some flights, particularly the long ones to Australia. or Istanbul.

We generally try to pick seats as far forward as possible, but I am aware of websites that can provide you advice on which seats.

http://www.seatguru.com/

Thanks Papa for the help. I've been reading many posts on here over the past couple of hours and a few people have suggested getting seats on the 2nd deck of a 747-400 plane because it is not crowded, has great room and is much quieter. Two people said it's the next best thing to being in a private jet.

If that's true, I might pass up a non stop for that. Between my back issues and a bit claustrophobic, that 2nd deck sounds great.

Dave

Thanks Papa for the help. I've been reading many posts on here over the past couple of hours and a few people have suggested getting seats on the 2nd deck of a 747-400 plane because it is not crowded, has great room and is much quieter. Two people said it's the next best thing to being in a private jet.

If that's true, I might pass up a non stop for that. Between my back issues and a bit claustrophobic, that 2nd deck sounds great.

Dave

Dave,

Check seatguru.com to find out the configuration for each type of plane for each airline. They will tell you how wide the seats are, how much legroom you'll have, the good seats and the bad seats, etc.

I have never flown Delta but the A330 is perfect for me as I am claustrophobic as well. I hate side three seats rows and being by the windows. I feel more confortable on a two seats row like on the A330 or B767

Out of most major airlines, I see that Air France is the only airline that has Economy seating on the 2nd deck of their 747 planes while all other airlines have First Class or, some sort of Business Class for the 2nd deck.

Unless my inexperience is telling me something I don't know, why would anyone pass up being on that 2nd deck with a ton less people, lots of room, quietness, etc?

Dave

Unless my inexperience is telling me something I don't know, why would anyone pass up being on that 2nd deck with a ton less people, lots of room, quietness, etc?

Some folks don't want to climb that set of stairs. Others don't like it because there is less room for carryon bags, especially rollers, which may need to go in a separate storage area. The seating upstairs on AF is 3-3, so not necessarily "better" than the 3-4-3 downstairs. And as for "lots of room", well there is 2 inches more legroom, but you pay a fee to get that.

Here's a cabin photo of the upper deck on the AF 744. Link Here.

And for quietness...a crying baby or uppity kid will cause more disruption in a smaller cabin than in a big one - you'll necessarily be closer. Besides, that's what an iPod and good headphones are for! ;)

Thanks Fly Talker for the helpful. Never did think of the points you brought up.

Since we hardly ever fly, let alone to Barcelona, maybe I should end this mind torture and just do the non stop Delta flights from JFK to Barcelona and back, and end my confusion. If anyone thinks for an additional $138 each round trip, I can also book the Economy Comfort seats since they're available this far out.

Knowing the way I think, I will continue to over think this flight choice until,it's too late and there won't be any flights left. So, I should probably do it real soon and forget about it.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave

The A330 on DL is a decent aircraft, you can get a pair of seats on either side of the 2-4-2, and Economy Comfort gives you a bit more room. Not luxurious, but will work fine for a TATL non-stop.

One thing to consider when booking. There can be some long walks and waits at T4 in JFK. Both before and after passing through I&C. I personally hate the way the moving walkways in T4 only pass gate areas and end whenever there is a retail outlet (so you have to walk past EVERY single one of them). It makes that new concourse seem even longer.

So....give yourself plenty of connection time.