First cruise with Princess

MissyMac13

I am booked on Golden Princess in November for a 3 day cruise to Ensenada. As you can see with my signature, I'm platinum with Carnival and have done one cruise on Disney. I am anxious to see what the differences between Carnival and Princess are. Any advice that you seasoned Princess cruisers can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

You may or may not have a blast! You may or may not have a memorable experience. You may or may not like Princess as much as Carnival. Spend more than 3 days on a Princess Ship to make such a well informed decision, but have a great trip! :eek:

Ken

Thanks, Ken. I've seen many Princess ships in port when I've cruised and have always wanted to try a cruise on Princess. We are hoping to take an Alaska cruise in 2015 and are looking at Princess for that one, too.

I don't think it's a true test of liking a ship on a 3 day cruise. Just not enough time to really get the feel of the ship and all that goes with the cruising experience.

You're so busy unpacking and then getting ready to pack-up you really can't feel the journey.

I wish you a wonderful cruise. With that said there's really nothing to dislike. There's lot's to do. The ship will be so "understated" compared to what you've seen on Carnival. The colors/the fabrics/the crew/the general feel. It's more subdued, calm and restful but still filled with fun.

You know that a cruise is what you make it, anyway. Go with a positive attitude and be ready to have a good time and you will.

The best pizza on the high seas can be had on a Princess cruise.

Just don't expect that "WOW" feeling. Princess "wows" you with quality not quantity.

Enjoy♥

Don't forget to go up to the Sundaes bar for an ice cream and go the shows early so you don't miss getting a good seat.

Walk the Promenade Deck.....Princess has the best Promenade Decks. Also, Movies Under the Stars is fun. Go up to Skywalkers and get that amazing view. There's lot's more......Have fun! ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

i think 3 days is the perfect amount of time to test it out. my first princess cruise was a 3 day coastal 'tester' and I was hooked. I loved it from the start and I had no idea that a longer trip would be even better!

Go with an open mind. I know some people get hung up on the things they're missing from another cruise line--so much that they're not enjoying the difference. We ate lunch with a couple and their friend on one of our Princess cruises. The whole lunch they complained about how Princess wasn't as good as Carnival and about the things they missed. We were having a great time, so their complaints seemed to me only to be making themselves feel worse.

We love the Golden, and are also booked in Nov, but on a 4 dayer.

My favorite place to hang out is the IC-International Café, or the Atrium as it is called on CCL.

They have finger food, salads, desserts---all free--as well as free regular coffee and pay for other drinks.

We get our goodies and sit down there a lot. They have great cookies.

PCL cabins are smaller than CCL, but they have awesome closet setups with a lot of storage.

Food is subjective, but I found it to be similar on both lines, with a hedge to PCL.

You will have a good time if you are not expecting the fast pace of CCL.

Pat

My favorite place to hang out is the IC-International Café, or the Atrium as it is called on CCL.

They have finger food, salads, desserts---all free--as well as free regular coffee and pay for other drinks.

We get our goodies and sit down there a lot. They have great cookies.

PCL cabins are smaller than CCL, but they have awesome closet setups with a lot of storage.

Food is subjective, but I found it to be similar on both lines, with a hedge to PCL.

You will have a good time if you are not expecting the fast pace of CCL.

Pat

The IC is a part of the piazza that used to be called the atrium, and still is on some ships. It is not 'the atrium' as a whole.

Regular coffee is not free in this area, you can get brewed coffee or speciality coffee with the coffee card or pay for them individually.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

My favorite place to hang out is the IC-International Café, .... as well as free regular coffee....

Pat

On longer cruises regular brewed coffee at the International Cafe Coffee Bar is not free. It is only free with the purchase of a coffee card, which I don't recommend for a 3 day cruise since you will pay for 15 espresso drinks, a lot for 3 nights. Does Princess provide brewed coffee free on short cruises? I don't know for sure. Free coffee is available in the buffet, self serve, and in all the restaurants.

We cruised on the Golden 2 years ago, LA Hawaii return via Ensenada. Great ship, great cruise but very disappointed with the service from wait staff, especially at the international Cafe. Actually we found it easier (when able to) and better service to sit AT the bar. It was 2 years ago, management and crew would have moved on so it may have improved. It hasn't stopped us cruising with Princess. If you like a snack (tapas or sushi) with your beer or wine you must try Vines...off the Piazza on Plaza deck.

3 days is a nice break but you'll be eager to book a longer cruise while aboard, buy the $100 future deposit.

Have a wonderful time.

Paul

We do both Princess and Carnival. The first difference you see is the decor. It's understated yet still elegant on Princess, and there is no "theme" you have to try to figure out. The food is both good and bad on both lines, but I think Carnival has a better buffet, generally. The new American Table thing on Carnival is not an improvement, IMO, and I still prefer the dining experience on Princess. (Loathe the dancing waiters.) The Carnival beds are more comfortable. The Princess entertainment is more entertaining. :) On a Carnival ship, I really miss the Princess IC. The conventional wisdom about the demographic is misleading. There are probably more younger people on Carnival and more old people like us on Princess, but there will be a healthy representation of each. On Princess, there is no Faster to the Fun nonsense. You board and go directly to your room (at no charge). You'll have to make up your own mind, but I still give Princess the edge.

We plan on doing the 3-day Golden Princess in March 2015........look forward to your thoughts once you've returned. We'll be on the Crown Princess this October for the 7-day Cal Coastal Cruise and can't wait.

Be sure to look into the Princess "Voyage of the Glaciers" Cruise for you trip into Alaska........you'll visit Glacier Bay with the very active Marjerie Glacier and a visit to College Fjord with numerous glaciers to view.

Enjoy you 3-dayer!

I am booked on Golden Princess in November for a 3 day cruise to Ensenada. As you can see with my signature, I'm platinum with Carnival and have done one cruise on Disney. I am anxious to see what the differences between Carnival and Princess are. Any advice that you seasoned Princess cruisers can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am platinum with both Carnival & Princess. We enjoy each cruise we have been on Carnival or Princess. We like the balcony door on Princess since they slide open. Depends on your expectations ..............as we have seen from other trip reports, same people on same ship sometimes gets very different reviews. We still do cruise on both cruise lines. Enjoy your cruise, watch youtube videos, look at trip reports & pictures to get as much info you need.

We are going in with no expectations, other than to have a good time. We have a 12 year old daughter who does not like to participate in the kids programs on Carnival, but I am hopeful that she will take a peek at what Princess has to offer in that area. We are also traveling with my son's in laws and their son and they've never been on Princess either. I appreciate all of your comments. Keep them coming!

We are going in with no expectations, other than to have a good time. We have a 12 year old daughter who does not like to participate in the kids programs on Carnival, but I am hopeful that she will take a peek at what Princess has to offer in that area. We are also traveling with my son's in laws and their son and they've never been on Princess either. I appreciate all of your comments. Keep them coming!

Make sure your daughter goes on the first night as that's when the kids meet each other. You didn't say when in November you're going, but if around Thanksgiving (or maybe around Veterans' Day), there should be a lot more kids than in the rest of November.

As others have said, make sure to go to the Piazza (which is on bottom of the Grand Atrium on Plaza Deck, midships). The International Cafe, a set of display cases containing various food and desserts, that's out in the open. It's next to the wine bar, Vines, and the Internet Cafe is around the corner. During much of the day and evening, there will be various musical and variety acts performing right there.

Our last two cruises were on the Golden for the two-week Hawaiian cruises.

This is really good advice! Thanks for all the insight into Princess. I'll be turning 40 inboard the CB in September. Any advice on special occasion perks and/or requests?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Cruise Personalizer in My Princess go to your profile and I think it is cruise preference let them know it is your birthday - you'll get balloons on your stateroom door and a cake in the MDR. I can't remember if you get a birthday card from the Captain. You could call Princess and ask them to put it on your booking.

I've only sailed 3 times so far (with a 4th scheduled in November) and all have been on Princess. My wife and I loved it.

Friends who tried cruising chose Carnival and hated the atmosphere.

Having read numerous accounts of the "antics" on Carnival cruises - everything from hairy leg contests to contests with women stripping off clothing to give to men on deck to drunken groups roaming the decks and out of control unmonitored children - I have to admit I'm a bit leery of ever cruising on Carnival. Princess has been so calm and "civilized" and I've never seen the kind of behavior that is often referenced in connection with Carnival.

I'm sure not all Carnival cruisers fit the descriptions above - in fact I'd guess those are the minority - but I really don't feel a need to cruise on a line with those sorts of things going on.

If you like a "Party Down!" kind of atmosphere you won't care for Princess...

This is really good advice! Thanks for all the insight into Princess. I'll be turning 40 inboard the CB in September. Any advice on special occasion perks and/or requests?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll be "turning" on the 21st, while onboard too! Your TA can notify the ship of your upcoming birthday and they'll have balloons placed on your door and let the Matre d' know at dinner and they'll bring a special cake for you. You can buy flowers while onboard and have them delivered to your cabin or your family/friends can purchase them before you board and surprise you with them. ♥

I'll be "turning" on the 21st, while onboard too! Your TA can notify the ship of your upcoming birthday and they'll have balloons placed on your door and let the Matre d' know at dinner and they'll bring a special cake for you. You can buy flowers while onboard and have them delivered to your cabin or your family/friends can purchase them before you board and surprise you with them. ♥

Haha! I read that "turning 21" (which I always suspected was probably the truth.):) I have broken down and listed my birthday for our October cruise. I never have done that because I didn't think I needed the fuss. On out last cruise, I decided I liked the look of the balloons outside the doors. (Yes, I will be turning 21--again--I have done that numerous times!)