Flowers for Concierge Class

Blue Lagoon

Well, to add to the confusion...DW and I were on the 6/22 Summit to Bermuda and had flowers in the room and recieved a rose on the first formal night. We ad CC elite and were in a Concierge room. One other very nice touch. I wrote something nice about one of the housekeeping staff. A very nice woman who started cleaning the mid ship staris avery day on deck one and worked her way to deck 11 and did it with a smile and a how are you...every day. On the last day of our cruise we found a plate of chocolate covered strawberries, a bottle of bubbly and a nice note from the head of housekeeping thanking me for the kind words. Nice touch!

We had a few little flowers on Eclipse back in March. They didn't look like much at first but later bloomed nicely. Just checked and saw that they're now absent from the list of cc amenities. Just seems plain dumb from a business standpoint. When you're trying to justify a premium price for cc it doesn't make sense to eliminate small inexpensive items that help differentiate it from a regular veranda. DW was much happier with those little flowers than the loaner umbrella, cheap wine, 3 apples or pillow menu. They'd be much better off enhancing and expanding cc benefits. Real flower arrangements and more appetizing afternoon snacks are two items which would help make cc feel more special.

Edited by Baron Barracuda

We had a few little flowers on Eclipse back in March. They didn't look like much at first but later bloomed nicely. Just checked and saw that they're now absent from the list of cc amenities. Just seems plain dumb from a business standpoint. When you're trying to justify a premium price for cc it doesn't make sense to eliminate small inexpensive items that help differentiate it from a regular veranda. DW was much happier with those little flowers than the loaner umbrella, cheap wine, 3 apples or pillow menu. They'd be much better off enhancing and expanding cc benefits. Real flower arrangements and more appetizing afternoon snacks are two items which would help make cc feel more special.

I think some (myself included) would rather keep the cabin fare lower than have it increase as costs continue to increase over time.

Costs have risen steadily over time, while cabin fares have remained relatively stable. Something's gotta give. In this case, flowers.

Frankly this is the first "plus" I have read of after the recent changes i.e. cutbacks.

It seems the list of recent cuts including lobster on shorter cruises, sacking of much of the

entertainment staff,elimination of the grand buffet ,reduction of public space for the benefit of

suite guests, and several other cuts now has another addition .:mad:

I wonder what other non-essential is about to be eliminated, reduced or cheapened.

Another small touch of Modern Luxury bites the dust, apparently.

And now I've read that the nightly chocolate on your pillow has been replaced by chocolate covered cookies on formal night only.

These each may be just small cuts but they add up. :(

Also, as to those 3 pieces of fruit - I could swear that in 2013 there was a fruit basket in the cabin with an actual selection of fruit. :(

How long has it been since a Celebrity cruise? I just started in early 2013, and never got a rose on a formal night, even in suites (6 of my 7 cruises to date) nor Aqua (last month in Aqua on Summit).

I started sailing Celebrity in Feb 2012, and on each cruise, I received a rose at dinner on the first formal night, whether we were in the MDR or a specialty. That was still true in Feb of 2014, but not June of 2014. I will say that I only ever saw them given to women, but we had one delivered to our stateroom in Feb 2014 at the start, too, because the steward thought we were elite. :)

And now I've read that the nightly chocolate on your pillow has been replaced by chocolate covered cookies on formal night only.

Also, as to those 3 pieces of fruit - I could swear that in 2013 there was a fruit basket in the cabin with an actual selection of fruit. :(

We had chocolates on the pillow in June still. In Feb 2013, we had a basket of fruit in CC and I even asked that it be modified to what I could eat, and it was done cheerfully.

I toss the chocolates so the cookies sound like an uptick unless they're not tasty.

It would be unfair for me to comment on the flowers as I am allergic to them, but I do love my red rose on formal night. I too prefer the fruit basket but I'm happy enough with the 3 pieces.

Edited by Oville

Yes, those three green apples did make me laugh... I thought it most odd as previously there was a bowl with a selection of apple pear banana and grapes.

On the Reflection TA this April/May we had the test tube vase with the alstroemerias but they did look a bit wilted, but they were replaced a few days later. They used to be removed the day before the last day which sort of made you feel as though they were trying to get rid of you as your cruise was nearly over. It was nice that they were still in the cabin on our last morning. We also got the single red rose from the CC.

I agree, the new canapés were much more interesting than the dried up bits of crouton with the squirt of bleurghhhh on top that we used to have.

We never eat the chocolates but always bring them home. I don't understand why people would just leave them, if we don't want anything, we just ask the stateroom attendant not to bring it. :confused:

Yes, those three green apples did make me laugh... I thought it most odd as previously there was a bowl with a selection of apple pear banana and grapes.

On the Reflection TA this April/May we had the test tube vase with the alstroemerias but they did look a bit wilted, but they were replaced a few days later. They used to be removed the day before the last day which sort of made you feel as though they were trying to get rid of you as your cruise was nearly over. It was nice that they were still in the cabin on our last morning. We also got the single red rose from the CC.

I agree, the new canapés were much more interesting than the dried up bits of crouton with the squirt of bleurghhhh on top that we used to have.

We never eat the chocolates but always bring them home. I don't understand why people would just leave them, if we don't want anything, we just ask the stateroom attendant not to bring it. :confused:

We don't eat them every night, either, but our grandchildren now look forward to them as a "souvenir" whenever we go on a cruise.

I'll have to stop at a chocolate shop on the way home if they've really stopped giving them out.

My thoughts exactly! I really appreciated the flowers. I wonder what they did with all the attached bud vases? I'd like to have one one or two. They fit perfectly in a small place.

Cynthia

They were great...priced them on line once...sticker shock. Ordered an arrangement with this tubed vase but it was delivered in a plain vase they had eliminated those cute vases. (This was quite awhile ago)

I will order the seasonal arrangement from X before we sail and see what turns up in some of the ports...

Flowers throughout the public areas of the ship really make a difference as well!

Edited by hcat

I think some (myself included) would rather keep the cabin fare lower than have it increase as costs continue to increase over time.

Costs have risen steadily over time, while cabin fares have remained relatively stable. Something's gotta give. In this case, flowers.

Sorry to disagree..would rather pay more than cruise No Frills! The extra upscale touches do make a difference....unless one is allergic to flowers or chocolates! Pamper Me!

Sorry to disagree..would rather pay more than cruise No Frills! The extra upscale touches do make a difference....unless one is allergic to flowers or chocolates! Pamper Me!

Us, too! :D

These "frills" can't cost more than $25 or so pp. I can't really imagine that's a make or break for taking a cruise.

We sail in Aqua and I know I'm paying a premium for that, too, so the more they cut the more I'm starting to resent what we pay over a regular veranda.

Edited by chamima

Us, too! :D

These "frills" can't cost more than $25 or so pp. I can't really imagine that's a make or break for taking a cruise.

We sail in Aqua and I know I'm paying a premium for that, too, so the more they cut the more I'm starting to resent what we pay over a regular veranda.

Unfortunately, the majority of cruisers don't seem to want to pony up, otherwise Celebrity would never have to reduce the cabin fares to fill the cabins, premium or otherwise.

It seems like people want better value than frills these days on Celebrity, meaning lines like Azamara may be more in line with wanting the frills these days. I mean look at all the hollering that went on when X raised the price of the beverages in drink packages....people were screaming bloody murder!

Yes, $25 per person may be all it is, but I've seen them discount cabins $100 or more and still have to discount further to ell them out. And $25 here $25 there, it all ads up. What we forget about is while cabin fares remain the same, they still pay higher COST for the food in the dining rooms, beef is up 20% this year, eggs the same etc. All the staples and expenses to run the operation have gone UP and cabin fares have not, rfuel increases steadily.... so things get cut. Chocolates and flowers, and fancy elite event buffet set ups, sea day brunch....

It's clear the the Celebrity that once was is no longer, and people that want that old way on Celebrity need to start seeking alternate lines to get the experience they remember, and pay the extra cost of those luxuries. If one is truly willing to pay for the luxuries, then Azamara is where to go....

Looking for comparison sake, I found a Sydney to Aukland sailing. 12 nights on X and 13 on Azamara.

Interior on AZ is $3599 per person ($276/person/day) , X is $1699 per person ($141/person/day)

Nearly double the cost, but you get the luxury....

Edited by cle-guy

Celebrity has changed. There are not enough Celebrity loyalist around to fill all the rooms at the required price to provide all the amenities we received 10 years ago. Celebrity is not a premium line but still does provide great service a cut above many of the middle market lines. Here is a great example of how Celebrity really needs to compete on price. Our first cruise was in 2001 on the Zenith to Bermuda. The cost for an outside room (no veranda) was about $4,000 for the two of us (don't even start asking why I still have this info) w/o insurance and w/o pre-paid gratuities. My recent cruise on the Summit to Bermuda in a Concierge room with a veranda was about $3500 with gratuities. This is a reduction of 12.5% in price over 13 years for a better room on a nicer ship. Assuming an inflation rate of 3% a year for 13 years the Zenith price today would be over $5,600. I would still be cruising but not at the rate I am now. As the prior post sated there are premium lines out there that provide all if not more than the old Celebrity did...It is only a matter of price. I'll take more cruises and will stick with X as long as they continue to provide the great service. That is worth more than chocolate and roses.

Maybe they need to can the new no frills management, focus on amenites more, drink packages less...we like Celeb ships and hope not to be run off just yet!

One can dream I suppose...but at this point, it's clear it is just a dream.

Those who make such decisions, the shareholders, seem to be quite happy with the position RCI and its brands are taking in the market place.

$34.15/share last july, $57.13 today. a $23 gain in 1 year. nice.

The secondary decision makers, the cruisers, are also happy in that ships continue to sail full and profitably.

I know I assumed I'd get some in Aqua on Summit last month but didn't. I thought I read they are gone from all but suites somewhere here recently.

Last November when we boarded the Equinox for our Trans Atlantic from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale there flowers in our state room when we boarded the ship but they were not replenished when they faded away. The small bouquet was not impressive. They might just as well not bothered with them. Concierge class is fine if the price is right but the extras aren't worth paying a whole lot extra for.

When CC was started it was on the M class ships and they converted which was a 1A category to Concierge Class. The 1A veranda cabins were larger than the others. The larger cabin plus the then new CC amenities made it a good thing. Now that cabin sizes on the new ships are the same I don't see much incentive to go to CC, especially as the amenities seem to be declining.

We were on Constellation 14th - 26th June, Concierge Class. Amongst other missing items, we noted there were no flowers. Just three green apples. We spoke to a crew member at the Captains Club desk as Concierge was not open. Apparently flowers were no longer provided and our TA should have informed us! Had our TA known about this, she would definitely have let us know.

We had a look on Celebrity website and sure enough flowers were still mentioned for Concierge. We let them know and their website was immediately amended! This would have been on or about 15th June. Hope that explains the confusion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am ordering and or bringing my own flowers so not an issue for us anymore. Glad we are forewarned, Anything to perk up the dorm like spartan appearance on S class is a plus.

Even one sunny flower can make a diff...!

Our last cruise was in April and got flowers on the second day but after 2 weeks they did not look to good. It is not that big of deal. Did get the captains club rose. At one time we got grapes and bananas not just apple that was good.