Adventure of the Seas - Problems

We sailed on Adventure to the Baltics in 2013, the ship and crew were great we really found nothing to complain about at all. We had a slight problem in our cabin, told the room steward and maintenance put it right straight away, couldn't ask for more.

I really think there's no perfect ship and no perfect cruise line because nothings perfect .... If you have a real problem on board just tell someone there and then and it will be put right ,go on your cruise and don't look for any negatives because if you do you'll find them ,instead just go and enjoy the lovely ship and have a great cruise.

We've just today returned to Southampton from a Baltic cruise on Adventure of the seas and, to be honest, read some awful reviews before we went. However, as a mere Platinum member these are my thoughts!!

Cosmetically the ship is looking a bit tired and there was some maintenance going on, especially carpet fitting, whilst in St Petersburg. Most people were off the ship before 8.30 and almost everyone left the ship so I don't blame the maintenance staff doing the work then. The rooms were also looking tired and are in desperately in need of some TLC.

Our Stateroom attendant was excellent and serviced our room almost as soon as we left it in the morning. He was friendly and very accommodating - nothing was too much for him.

We were on MyTime dining for the first time and we sat at the same table for 2 every night with the same dining companions most nights. The food was very good and our waiting staff were excellent (especially when it came to updating us with the World Cup scores!!). Giovannis was very good - we went once. The only downside was that we preferred the Windjammer for breakfast as opposed to the MDR. The eggs were better in the Windjammer!!

We didn't come across any surly or miserable staff during the whole 12 days. All the bar staff were quick at taking orders and friendly.

The entertainment was, in MY opinion, mediocre but one night was a one woman show of "Tell me on a Sunday" which was very good (I have seen it in the West End and it was just as acceptable). The RC singers and dancers were new on board and needed a bit of settling in, I think. The Ice Show was excellent, though!

Windjammer staff were quick to clear tables although some people seemed to be rooted there all day on sea days (the weather was not condusive to sitting on deck).

It is a matter of opinion and as the saying goes "you can't please everyone".

K x

Edited by kaznaid
Forgot to mention the stateroom attendant!!

On the Adventure TA earlier this year, along with peteukmcr, the first issue that popped up, as I had ordered 2 different vases of flowers to help celebrate my DW's Birthday, and I even brought along the confirmation. When we arrived in our suite, just after 1PM, I met the floor supervisor, and inquired as to the where about of the 2nd vase of flowers. Royal Caribbean had 4 hours to get the flowers onboard, but their standard answer was that the flowers did not arrive, and my credit card would be credited.

We were offered a free night at Giovanni's, which I thought was a nice gesture on the ships part.

We have learned to bring our own slippers, since Royal Caribbean has quit giving those out to suite guests. We bring our Princess slippers, not that it makes a difference, just to make a statement.

It has become very obvious to me, after cruising with Royal Caribbean since only 2003, that in the past few years, we have watched the cut backs in quality and service, so that what we once thought was a great cruiseline, is today, mediocre, compared to, say just 3 years ago.

Captain Ole was a bit shy till one got to know him, then was quite friendly.

What is sad, is that everyones hands are tied, from the Captain on down, with cutbacks on staff, is putting more work on those onboard, hence they are not quite as outgoing, can't stop for that minute to talk, as they have a job to accomplish.

The stockholders, on the other hand, could not be happier with the bottom line.

Will we stop cruising with Royal Caribbean. NO. Will we now continue to cruise with other lines.....YES!

So, what one has experienced on the AOS, well, it's getting to be that way, pretty much across the whole fleet.

And, yes, just get used to it, because it's the way that Royal Caribbean is run, for now.

Rick

We too were on this cruise and can see where Rick is coming from.

We have done quite a few TAs on Adventure and this was without doubt the poorest we have been on, but we coped and got things done and had people help us out when we did have problems.

She is not coming back next year to UK so no chance of doing it again even if we wanted to.

As for refurbishment....not a lot done but Giovannis table was excellent, be interesting to see what she will be like after the major one in 2016.

On the Adventure TA earlier this year, along with peteukmcr, the first issue that popped up, as I had ordered 2 different vases of flowers to help celebrate my DW's Birthday, and I even brought along the confirmation. When we arrived in our suite, just after 1PM, I met the floor supervisor, and inquired as to the where about of the 2nd vase of flowers. Royal Caribbean had 4 hours to get the flowers onboard, but their standard answer was that the flowers did not arrive, and my credit card would be credited.

We were offered a free night at Giovanni's, which I thought was a nice gesture on the ships part.

Oops Rick, hope we didn't get your 2nd vase of flowers! What I ordered should have been delivered 2 days later, but were there on day of departure spoiling a surprise. Guest Sevices tried to convince me that I'd made the mistake, but luckily I had my confirmation stating date of delivery as 22nd April. I was offered a refund, but as yet it hasn't materialised, and I doubt it will arrive, but then again I did get the goods, just not when I should have.

What irked me was that the suite concierge contacted me in advance of sailing and asked if I wanted anything and so I asked to check that this delivery would happen on 22nd not 20th and I was advised everything was in hand, but low and behold obviously not. This made me wonder whether the contact by the concierge was just a gesture. Also the concierge down right lied about things that they had arranged, then denying this to other suite guests.

Edited by peteukmcr

When I read posts telling me things like this, I always take it with a grain of salt, kosher salt at that. Meaning -- food and entertainment are both very subjective. Are these two people difficult to make happy when they go out to a restaurant? Do they have unrealistic expectations of entertainment, when they are home, and find themselves disappointed?

I have ten friends and if we all go to the same restaurant and movies, 25% will like it and 25% will not like it and 50% will say it was "OK". It is just the truth.

Maybe when these people said, the only good meal they had was in Portofinos, was because they set a standard that the MDR could not deliver (it serves more people in a shorter period of time and has different cuts of meat because of the extra expense).

Some of my questions would be:

Did something break on the ship, that was not repaired?

Was the ship overall clean and did they see constant maintenance/cleaning going on in public places?

Did something unexpected happen to them that if it was at a land hotel, would have been handled better/differently?

Was the staff friendly and nice and attend to their needs?

Was there enough activities to choose from, regardless of whether THEY choose to participate in them or not?

Also, ships do age....as do hotels....and in the cruise industry, they have a ship come in for a refurbishment/renovation. This couple admits they went on the ship prior to its refurbishment.....well, they would have seen a different ship after the renovations....all nice and new and glitzy again.

Agree. I never book our Cruises or select ships based on anyones opinion (goog or bad) on Cruise Critic. There is a lot of good info to be shared and learned on these forums but there also is a lot not worth reading. I guess everyone has a right to their opinion. Looking forward to our March/April 2015 B2B Cruise on the Adventure Of The Seas. This will be our second B2B Cruise on the Adventiure Of The Seas.

Edited by davekathy

We have learned to bring our own slippers, since Royal Caribbean has quit giving those out to suite guests. We bring our Princess slippers, not that it makes a difference, just to make a statement.

Princess has cut back the slippers to one size fits some, but they don't fit DH.:(

Regardless of the business (cruise line, hotel, retailer, supermarket etc) -- all businesses face challenges and employees all handle the challenges differently.

I work for a national retailer.....I get compliments on my customer service while other employees get none. I just handle everything with a smile, or even a little humor (regardless of how serious the situation is, a little light humor can break the tension).

Every business I know, and I was in consulting for over 20 years.....wants to spend less to provide their services to maximize the bottom line....this has been going on for years....nothing new here.

I agree that's a common corporate goal to maximize net profit, but at some point the product will suffer to the point that a company's reputation will lead old and new customers alike to look elsewhere - all the cost-cutting in the world won't make up for a precipitous decline in revenue. It's a fine balance that I admittedly have no idea how to achieve, but RCI has long since cut most of the fat and now is going after muscle and bone. As long as their strategy of chasing first time cruisers works for them, they really won't care that some of their formerly loyal passengers are sailing on other lines (as we are).

I am always amused by people that complain about leaving from a foreign port, and the passengers one the ship are "different" or "foreign". What did they expect??????? If you cruise in parts of the world other than your home country (or nearby), you experience other cultures, languages, food, etc.

I am always amused (and saddened) that that U.S. passengers think of San Juan, Puerto Rico as a foreign port.

I am always amused (and saddened) that that U.S. passengers think of San Juan, Puerto Rico as a foreign port.

This reminds me of a situation from one of our cruises to St. Thomas last year. Yes, PR and ST are "The United States on America."

We went on a cruise and DW left some of her critical medication in a back-pack accidentally left by the front door. When we got to St Thomas we went to a pharmacy near the port and called her doctor to get a refill of her prescription. The doctor said "You should have gotten your refill in the United States." She had to convince him that ST was in the US and the prescription was filled. She has since found another doctor.

Edited by Tagsalong

We have sailed on the Adventure three times with the last being in January 2014 and would not hesitate to sail on her again. There were 5 couples on our last cruise and none of them had any serious complaints. Sure there were a few speed bumps in the road but nothing even close to making this a ship that we would avoid.

Like others have said food is subjective but considering how many meals they serve in a week I think they do a pretty good job.

My feeling is that anytime I am on a cruise or vacation I am away from my regular lifestyle so I will make the best of whatever is thrown at me. Any vacation is better than any day at work!

Oops Rick, hope we didn't get your 2nd vase of flowers! What I ordered should have been delivered 2 days later, but were there on day of departure spoiling a surprise. Guest Sevices tried to convince me that I'd made the mistake, but luckily I had my confirmation stating date of delivery as 22nd April. I was offered a refund, but as yet it hasn't materialised, and I doubt it will arrive, but then again I did get the goods, just not when I should have.

What irked me was that the suite concierge contacted me in advance of sailing and asked if I wanted anything and so I asked to check that this delivery would happen on 22nd not 20th and I was advised everything was in hand, but low and behold obviously not. This made me wonder whether the contact by the concierge was just a gesture. Also the concierge down right lied about things that they had arranged, then denying this to other suite guests.

Hope the concierge gets back to you on this one as I know the concierge likes to read things said about the ship on CC.

Hope the concierge gets back to you on this one as I know the concierge likes to read things said about the ship on CC.
Not too bothered whether they do or not, I won't be in a suite again soon so the suite concierge isn't that much of a deal to me anymore and despite bring D+ we'll probably stick with the DL in future, so I'm just disappointed in my own expectations I suppose with paying good money for a suite and the benefits it should provide for the premium paid. As for the events which were denied as being arranged, didn't bother me as we did most of them as part of the All Access Tour I paid for anyway, but I know it upset other suite guests who weren't invited and the service should be consistent to all suite guests.

If one steps outside their home bubble, they meet people from other bubbles! :D

I just love this quote, I will be using many times if you don't object.

Edited by swan705ca

Not too bothered whether they do or not, I won't be in a suite again soon so the suite concierge isn't that much of a deal to me anymore and despite bring D+ we'll probably stick with the DL in future, so I'm just disappointed in my own expectations I suppose with paying good money for a suite and the benefits it should provide for the premium paid. As for the events which were denied as being arranged, didn't bother me as we did most of them as part of the All Access Tour I paid for anyway, but I know it upset other suite guests who weren't invited and the service should be consistent to all suite guests.

If the service isn't consistent I would suggest that it should bother you (and the rest of us) as if we don't bang our drums and let RCI know they will take more liberties and continue to reduce the quality and consistency of their product.

If the service isn't consistent I would suggest that it should bother you (and the rest of us) as if we don't bang our drums and let RCI know they will take more liberties and continue to reduce the quality and consistency of their product.
I totally agree, but perhaps I'm tired of being subjected to the bashing from RCI cheerleaders on here when any of us (and in most cases it appears to be those of us, who despite supporting RCI, aren't from the US) dare to raise issues we've experienced and we're belittled and chastised as though we have no right to complain.

So much so, we're no longer sailing exclusively with RCI and I for one am reconsidering my association with CC. It used to be a place to share information and provide accurate feedback from your experience on board, but woe betide you these days if you dare say one word against RCI, the vitriol sometimes from some is disgusting (present company excepted).

I apologise, but I've been thinking about this for a while and I think having read a few threads tonight, and the responses to some of my fellow countrymen and friends, it's time to call it a day on the RCI thread of CC.

I totally agree, but perhaps I'm tired of being subjected to the bashing from RCI cheerleaders on here when any of us (and in most cases it appears to be those of us, who despite supporting RCI, aren't from the US) dare to raise issues we've experienced and we're belittled and chastised as though we have no right to complain.

So much so, we're no longer sailing exclusively with RCI and I for one am reconsidering my association with CC. It used to be a place to share information and provide accurate feedback from your experience on board, but woe betide you these days if you dare say one word against RCI, the vitriol sometimes from some is disgusting (present company excepted).

I agree, BUT, always a BUT, I will continue with Royal cruises because Celebrity cut-backs are even worse and Princess pulls ships out of Florida in late Spring, Summer and early Fall. I will not give up cruising.

CC has always been a matter of muddling through the BS to get to the good stuff. Still worth it IMHO.

And, by the way, I like Brits, when I can under stand them (and I don't mean just the accent!).

Edited by Tagsalong

We sailed AOS for the first time in 2/14 and we loved it. The ports are fantastic and Puerto Rico, where I was born is beautiful!!

We loved AOS so much we have a b2b for Feb/March 2015. Can't wait.

I apologise, but I've been thinking about this for a while and I think having read a few threads tonight, and the responses to some of my fellow countrymen and friends, it's time to call it a day on the RCI thread of CC.

Peterukmcr- I agree the RCI cheerleaders can be aggressive and obnoxious ,but although I am Diamond on RCI, we also have cruised Carnival ( 6x), Norwegian ( 5x) Disney (2x) , and Celebrity, Princess & HAL once each...I write what I think & what I have experienced on my cruises, and if some posters here don't like it, or don't agree, too bad..I am both an agent & cruise aficionado , and I believe variety is the spice of life in EVERYTHING..just like I don't eat at only one restaurant chain, I also don't go to ONLY one hotel chain..I have preferences, like Marriott, Sheraton & Hyatt because I have points with them, but will stay where the best deal is and best for US...NO ONE bullies Big Al, and when they meet me in person at a Meet & Mingle or Greet, or at a Sailaway party, they find out quickly they they do not want to pick a controversial subject with me, because they WILL LOSE...I NEVER apologize for what I believe or feel...I also NEVER go back & forth about food nor entertainment because those 2 are the most subjective topics ..for the record, I find your posts insightful & honest..I hope you re-consider posting here on CC, but if you don't, yes, it might be time to consider cruising on other lines JUST TO EXPERIENCE them- Celebrity's Solstice class are wonderful...Disney's Dream class ships ( especially the Fantasy at 98% approval- WOW!!)) are THEE highest rated ships on CC..Norwegian's new ships like the Getaway & Breakaway offer tons of dining & entertainment value..Disney is not for everyone, but the 2 cruises we've done have been TERRIFIC- amazing food, service & shows unbeatable...these are MY thoughts, opinions & observations and NO ONE will change my opinions on that....

Big Al

Hi,

We cruised her from Southampton for seven days October 27, 2013. I would avoid travelling on her again.

I enjoy RCCL ships and we enjoy cruising. We were on four different ships in the last year. While this does not make me an expert, I would not choose to go on another AOS cruise. Did I enjoy the cruise, YES. Was something lacking? YES.

The staff seemed a little off sometimes, they tried to smile and be happy but something was missing, a medical emergency was not well handled, the cabin steward never introduced himself, the Meet & Mingle invitation was forgotten and not delivered, the linens were dirty, our cabin was a little less than tired as the furniture was broken and kept falling on toes, fearing steward might get hurt we moved it under the bed, the bed was the first time I found the bed itself uncomfortable as it seemed to be well worn and broken. The sitting area in the Windjammer was always full and difficult to find a table. First and only time food in MDR was delivered cool, one time and one meal but it did happen on AOS. Waiter was very apologetic when I mentioned it the next night and it did not happen again. (They did have escargots but they were delivered cold).

We sailed AOS for the first time in 2/14 and we loved it. The ports are fantastic and Puerto Rico, where I was born is beautiful!!

We loved AOS so much we have a b2b for Feb/March 2015. Can't wait.

Please come back and post with any differences you may experience between the 2 cruises.

I think I'd like to check out the Spring 2015 Southern Caribbean sailings; it appears that Adventure is one of the ships with that itinerary. Maybe with the refurb, it will be more enjoyable than some of the descriptions that I've read in this thread. I just got off Navigator last month, and there were people who really ripped it apart. It turned out to be one of the nicest ships that I've sailed on in RCI's fleet (except for Oasis). Sometimes, it just pays to do your own analysis. ;)

I just got off Navigator last month, and there were people who really ripped it apart. It turned out to be one of the nicest ships that I've sailed on in RCI's fleet (except for Oasis). Sometimes, it just pays to do your own analysis. ;)

Point well taken....and reviews are great, but the most important review is the one you 'do for yourself'.

I think I'd like to check out the Spring 2015 Southern Caribbean sailings; it appears that Adventure is one of the ships with that itinerary. Maybe with the refurb, it will be more enjoyable than some of the descriptions that I've read in this thread. I just got off Navigator last month, and there were people who really ripped it apart. It turned out to be one of the nicest ships that I've sailed on in RCI's fleet (except for Oasis). Sometimes, it just pays to do your own analysis. ;)

I agree. We had a B2B on Adventure earlier this year, before the refurb. Didn't have any problems, thought the ship was in great shape. Going again next year.

Oh I thought something happened with Adventure that I had not heard about! This is just another one of those I enjoyed the cruise BUT everything about the ship, food, entertainment, and service was horrible! I'm out!

I will agree with your POV because from the title of the thread using the word "problems" I surely thought a major mechanical malfunction may have happened that I had not read about.

Glad to read, that it wasn't that type of 'problem'.

Let me ask a question of those that have done Caribbean cruises on Adventure and also a European/Mediteranean cruise --- Could the difference be in the 'culture of the expectations' between the two itineraries that account for the different experiences?

Just asking....

Let me share, this....personally I have not had the opportunity to do a European or Mediterranean cruise....I will at some point in the future, but have not been able to allocate the time for it as yet.

Let me ask a question of those that have done Caribbean cruises on Adventure and also a European/Mediteranean cruise --- Could the difference be in the 'culture of the expectations' between the two itineraries that account for the different experiences?

Just asking....

Let me share, this....personally I have not had the opportunity to do a European or Mediterranean cruise....I will at some point in the future, but have not been able to allocate the time for it as yet.

No, I think it's just people being picky about things.

In one of the posts above 5 complaints could have been handled by a call to housekeeping, two were purely subjective, two were corrected, one happen on all RCCL's ships off and on, and one happens on all RCCL ships.

That's just one post!

I always look at negative posts and reviews in light of what could have been done to correct it, and if I end up with "it couldn't have been corrected", then it's a problem.