Price of drinks

gsboyce

Curious what the price of beer and cocktails is in general. Contemplating getting the drink package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most drinks seemed to be about $7.95. Add in the 15% gratuity and you are up to $9.14. Beer was less but I can't remember how much. It varied by brand of beer. I want to say about $4.50 per beer pre-gratuity but not sure.

Edited by Thrak

On the 5/26 CB voyage we found most mixed drinks to be $8.95 - and they had about half the amount of booze that you might think.

We actually find the drinks stronger than most bars. I guess it depends on the bartender and what you are used to. As far as the drink package, there are many threads on the topic in CC. Depends on your drinking habits of course, and the weather and how much time you spend off the ship, and also how many wine bottles you order normally (since the 40% discount can be a major factor). Just like the soda package, may be good deal for some and not for others.

Prices for most cocktails are now $8.95 plus gratuity... beer, around $5. Sorry, I'm not a beer drinker, so.... If you drink more than 4 drinks a day, then the package will pay for itself...

Your math is off. You'd need to drink at least 6 drinks a day to come out ahead.

$8.95 x 5 = $44.75 < $49

$8.95 x 6 = $53.70 > $49

I suppose if you have 5 mixed drinks a day, plus several sodas, coffee, bottled water, etc. you might still come out ahead. But not just 5 drinks a day.

Edited by sherryf

My math was a bit off but add two coffees and water or juice, easy peasy. Or a glass of wine with dinner. My husband will sit down on deck 15 and order a drink around 11. He can never have just one drink... it's usually 2 or three. Then later in the afternoon, he will have 2 or three more... Also, wine with dinner... it just allows the freedom of doing what we want without having a big bill at the end.

For us, it works. By the way, we don't drink at home, only on cruises!

My point is that it's very easy to reach that point...

Wow. Hadn't realized they raised prices since "the package" went into effect. $8.95 + 15% gratuity ($1.24) = $10.29 per drink.

I still don't think I'm a candidate for "the package" though. I could easily make it pay on a few days but not over the course of a cruise. I shudder to think of the cost when taking the 28 day Tahiti cruise...

Edited by Thrak

You can purchase it on Day 3 but you will pay for it from Day 1.

Ah. Good to know. Thanks. I can envision a scenario where someone (DH) says it's not worth it and then has a couple of drinks and reconsiders. What is the current price for wine by the glass?

Just like everything.......prices going up!

For comparison, here's what we paid on Sapphire Princess - Alaska cruise in 2012:

Mixed drink.......$7.95 + 15%grat = $9.15

Glass wine........$6.25 + 15% = $7.19

Stella draft........$6.75 = 15% = $7.76

Bottle White Zin.......$27 = 15% = $31.05

So, looks like things have gone up a buck or two now per drink in 2014!

You can purchase it on Day 3 but you will pay for it from Day 1.

I would LOVE to be able to purchase the package for "sea days only" but Princess isn't stupid so that will never happen. :rolleyes:

Princess may be going the way of Celebrity,

drinks prices rising and start pushing the drinks packages as included in higher price cruises.

Started in the UK for Caribbean princess Ex Southampton next year included drinks package if booked this month.

• 1 month later...