Dress Code in Rome including Vatican?

Martin and Lindsey

We are packing for our cruise next week. :D

Can people please advise us what we need to wear on the day in rome when we will also be visiting the Vatican and Sistene Chapel? It is likely to be very hot in Rome in July.

I was planning to wear capri trousers with a t-shirt with short sleeves.

Can hubby wear long shorts that cover his knees or does he have to wear long trousers?

Hoping for an answer very soon! :rolleyes:

Hi,

Italy is not in the Middle East ;)

If you visit churches it's important that your shoulders and knees are covered. But you can take something with you for covering when you enter those churches. Outside the churches you can wear whatever you want.

There is a basic dress code for Churches in Italy including visiting the Vatican and Vatican Museums. You should cover your shoulders and your knees and wear shoes. That being said, we have seen folks get in the Vatican with decent sandals although we witnessed a young couple turned away because the fem was wearing flip flops. Sneakers (or Trainers) are fine. Enforcement is somewhat uneven and seems to depend on who happens to be working or if they notice a transgression. As to other Italian churches we have often walked in with long shorts and nobody has ever objected.

So here is the thing to keep in mind. While you might get away with shorts above the knee or a sleeveless top, there is a reasonable chance you will be turned away (at the Vatican). Do you want to take that chance?

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hi,

Italy is not in the Middle East ;)

If you visit churches it's important that your shoulders and knees are covered. But you can take something with you for covering when you enter those churches. Outside the churches you can wear whatever you want.

Yes, they will turn you away at St Peters if your shoulders and knees are not covered.

Yes, they will turn you away at St Peters if your shoulders and knees are not covered.

I had read that about the knees and shoulders being covered. I normally would wear a regular length sundress, but have thought I would wear a 'long' (to the floor) sundress and bring along a shrug to put over the dress when entering. I'm usually cold anyway while inside places, so that's not a problem. However, I usually wear a 'nice' pair of flip flops everywhere ... thinking that's not acceptable? Also, my husband always wears shorts that come down to about the knees ... so does this mean it's 'long pants' for him? We'll do whatever it required, but no shorts for him does not make him 'happy'!! LOL! :) Thanx!

Head out to any of the major sporting good stores that sell clothing and you'll find pants with zippers which allow you to remove the bottom half of the legs when required.

As for flip flops keep in mind 1) you'll be doing a lot of walking and 2) surfaces can be uneven. I've always found a cute pair of sports shoes much better suited for touring.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have always worn sandals whenever I've visited St Peter's or the Vatican museums and am not aware of any rule that says you have to wear full shoes.

However, they are strict about shoulders and knees being covered. You 'may' get by with trousers which are cut-off but below the knee but I would advise to do what we did when we visited and either use those trousers which have a zip-off part which turns into shorts or wear some lightweight trousers for your visit and keep a pair of shorts in a backpack to change into afterwards.

I had read that about the knees and shoulders being covered. I normally would wear a regular length sundress, but have thought I would wear a 'long' (to the floor) sundress and bring along a shrug to put over the dress when entering. I'm usually cold anyway while inside places, so that's not a problem. However, I usually wear a 'nice' pair of flip flops everywhere ... thinking that's not acceptable? Also, my husband always wears shorts that come down to about the knees ... so does this mean it's 'long pants' for him? We'll do whatever it required, but no shorts for him does not make him 'happy'!! LOL! :) Thanx!

The guard that Hank saw must have been having an exceptionally bad day, because there is nothing about shoes in the dress requirements for St Peters. The sign advising on covering knees and shoulders doesn't even show feet on the people, although I'm assuming that for health and safety reasons one cannot be barefoot. I was just there last month, and wore flip flops - brightly coloured Crocs flip flops at that! :eek: There were many other people in flip flops as well, and they had no problem.

Edited by lisiamc

I've never understood the aversion to long pants when traveling. I always wear long pants when I travel anywhere but Hawaii or the Caribbean. I've even worn long pants all day long on my Nile cruise (where it was 109 the day I did Valley of the Kings). You just have to have the right weight and fabric that makes it comfortable. And, you're sweating anyway - use the pants to help with the evaporative cooling process ;)

I always wear a shirt that has me modestly covered. I have quite a few very lightweight burnout material shirts from The North Face, Athleta, Sahalie, Prana - they are perfect for traveling anywhere, anytime. I always carry a bandana - too many uses to mention. I have run into the odd church/mosque from time to time where a head covering was required, so I'm ready to go with it.

Dressing like I do when I travel away from home, I know I am always appropriately dressed modestly enough to go anywhere. And, I'm always comfortable...

Edited by slidergirl

The long white tunics that you buy in Santorini and matching long white linen pants are so comfortable and breathable in the summer. They also help with getting too much sun and white is reflective. I love wearing my Santorini shirts and pants. Men look really great in thin long sleeved white shirts and thin comfortable pants in Europe. Really handsome.

92106-W_main.jpg.9185c95c580d59ac01241a211a7aa5a4.jpg

8dc5aae03f7c8d6b8e918cd2be14af5b.jpg.b1d062db683261a88033cce8bf3686ff.jpg

Thanx all! I forgot all about those pants with the zipper and mentioned it to my husband and he informs me he has a pair of pants he had shortened to shorts, but swears they are below the knees (shows what I notice, LOL!) Anyway, I'll probably get him a pair just in case. Wondering about him and his sandals tho, he wears the Teva style ... he also hates shoes, LOL!! Guess this is all because 9 years ago we moved from COLD Massachusetts to GA where you practically can wear sandals and shorts most all the time (except this winter, tho ... YUCK!) .... but as I said, we'll comply with whatever the rules are. I have a just plain pair of flats I could wear on that day, I guess. Sneakers are always just way to hot for me. I know everyone mentions all the walking, but truly, I am more comfortable in my flip flops ... wore them every day at Disney World for a week and was just fine. The other thing we were thinking is that we will have a private tour so we probably could wear what we're comfortable in and when it's time for the Church part, just change? :)

We are packing for our cruise next week. :D

Can people please advise us what we need to wear on the day in rome when we will also be visiting the Vatican and Sistene Chapel? It is likely to be very hot in Rome in July.

I was planning to wear capri trousers with a t-shirt with short sleeves.

Can hubby wear long shorts that cover his knees or does he have to wear long trousers?

Hoping for an answer very soon! :rolleyes:

Was just there a few weeks back. I wore shorts that covered my knees and had no issues.

Sandals are fine in the Vatican. If a girl who happened to have flip flops was turned away- it wasn't due to the flip flops.

Agree - it's a shame misinformation is given out on these boards leading some people to worry about things unnecessarily. There is NO dress code about wearing any type of shoe (altho obviously not bare feet) and anyone turned away wouldn't have been turned away because of flip flops

Edited by Bobal

Agree - it's a shame misinformation is given out on these boards leading some people to worry about things unnecessarily. There is NO dress code about wearing any type of shoe (altho obviously not bare feet) and anyone turned away wouldn't have been turned away because of flip flops

With all the walking and standing that we did at the Vatican (Museum, Sistine Chapel, & St Peters), I can't imagine why someone would want to wear basic flip-flops?

Edited by Ron98GT

With all the walking and standing that we did at the Vatican (Museum, Sistine Chapel, & St Peters), I can't imagine why someone would want to wear basic flip-flops?

I know, people say that, but really mine are a little lifted with very cushy substance that really feels great when I walk .... do it all the time. But, I hear what you are saying about the really flat regular ones. Thanx tho! :)

That's great, thanx! So we need not worry about bringing a change of shoes to change in the car, and both my husband's Tevas and my sandals will be fine then? Makes it a lot easier! :)

I know, people say that, but really mine are a little lifted with very cushy substance that really feels great when I walk .... do it all the time. But, I hear what you are saying about the really flat regular ones. Thanx tho! :)

You should wear what feels good on your feet. But perhaps bring another pair of shoes with you just in case. I've found after miles of walking on those odd little square pavers, I get stone bruises if I'm not wearing a shoe with both cushioning and a hard sole. Walking in Disney World is definitely NOT the same as walking on these:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6tci9WN8ssE/TUmNjIxeOVI/AAAAAAAAAHY/rTga9sjXfdA/s1600/IMG_3042.JPG

Also, Rome isn't exactly pristinely clean. Here's something funny I ran across in a blog by an American living in Rome: What do Romans call Americans who wear flip flops? "Piedi neri" (black feet), because after a few minutes of walking around, that's how your feet end up.

You should wear what feels good on your feet. But perhaps bring another pair of shoes with you just in case. I've found after miles of walking on those odd little square pavers, I get stone bruises if I'm not wearing a shoe with both cushioning and a hard sole. Walking in Disney World is definitely NOT the same as walking on these:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6tci9WN8ssE/TUmNjIxeOVI/AAAAAAAAAHY/rTga9sjXfdA/s1600/IMG_3042.JPG

Also, Rome isn't exactly pristinely clean. Here's something funny I ran across in a blog by an American living in Rome: What do Romans call Americans who wear flip flops? "Piedi neri" (black feet), because after a few minutes of walking around, that's how your feet end up.

Hmmm .... definitely something to think about. We have the private tour and we may just bring a change anyway ... thanx! :)

In cities where you have to do a lot of walking a good pair of walking sandals are far superior to ordinary flip flops. Check Merrell, Keen, Teva or even Birkenstocks for comfort and good support. They will be cool and comfortable and look a little dressier than flip flops. Your feet will thank you.

That's great, thanx! So we need not worry about bringing a change of shoes to change in the car, and both my husband's Tevas and my sandals will be fine then? Makes it a lot easier! :)

I have Teva's and Merrell's (water sandals) with thick soles and arch support, which would be OK. I've done a lot of walking with those, but they're not flip-flops.

Edited by Ron98GT

My father was refused entry because he was wearing shorts. They knew ahead of time and my mom wore a longer skirt but Dad didn't believe them. So, no Vatican for them.

Sue

Edited by shofer

My father was refused entry because he was wearing shorts. They knew ahead of time and my mom wore a longer skirt but Dad didn't believe them. So, no Vatican for them.

Sue

Were his knees covered? I saw many people wearing shorts a few weeks ago BUT their knees were covered. As a matter of fact when I was walking to the tour bus from the ship the tour guide checked the length of my shorts to make sure that I would not have an issue. I didn't. :)

On another note. The trip to the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's was miserable. So many people packed into one area pushing and shoving to get photos. It was a cattle call. Add to that the heat and I was ready to leave after an hour. Whatever you do wear comfortable shoes.

Edited by cruisingator2