Can I request a wheel chair accessible ocean view balcony?

Hello, I am going to be on Allure of the Seas on August 24, 2014 and I was wondering can I request a wheel chair accessible ocean view balcony? Because when I was on the Oasis I had a guarantee ocean view balcony and was assigned a wheel chair accessible room 12162. I don't need a handicapped room but I would love the extra room! Isn't almost like a junior suite? Some 10 sq feet more for a JS right? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is difficult to get a accessible cabin at this late date. You can try but it really is not right to do so. Someone who is really disabled would then not be able to get the cabin needed. There are so few cabins for folks with handicaps.

It is difficult to get a accessible cabin at this late date. You can try but it really is not right to do so. Someone who is really disabled would then not be able to get the cabin needed. There are so few cabins for folks with handicaps.

Yeah, I know it's sounds really bad! Maybe I can ask the last few days before we sail. I wouldn't want to take a room from someone who needed it.

As of 1/1/2012 a USA Federal from the Department of Transportion went into effect for all Cruises embarking from a USA Port. The following regulations apply that the cruise line must comply with regarding the booking of accessible cabins.

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

If a person falsely certifies their need when booking an accessible cabin the cruise line has the legal right to move them to a non-accessible cabin. RCCL does comply with the USA Federal Law for cruises embarking from a USA Port as there is a certification process contained in the on-line check-in process.

If there are unsold accessible cabins after final payment period has past the Cruise Line is allowed to release those cabins to the general public and or use them for assignment of guaranteed bookings.

Hello, I am going to be on Allure of the Seas on August 24, 2014 and I was wondering can I request a wheel chair accessible ocean view balcony? Because when I was on the Oasis I had a guarantee ocean view balcony and was assigned a wheel chair accessible room 12162. I don't need a handicapped room but I would love the extra room! Isn't almost like a junior suite? Some 10 sq feet more for a JS right? TIA

Do you also park in a handicap space because it's bigger and closer?

^^ This is a pretty irrelevant post. Do you ever use handicap accessible bath stalls or ramps? Big difference between Handicap accessible and handicap only.

The OPs Allure cruise is in August and way after final payment. You will be allowed to move to an accessible room. Be aware though, that the cruise-line may ask you to move if the room is needed by a disabled cruiser. If it was before final payment, the cruise line would need you to provide some type of documentation that you are handicap and need the room.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by hitaway4

Royal Caribbean opens any unsold handicap cabins to general booking at 30 days out from sailing. There are no restrictions at that time. Just call and ask. If the CS rep says not possible to book-just call back and get a knowledgeable rep.

I only see only one accessible balcony cabin available (6626) for your sailing and honestly Im surprised it is. They must have had a cancellation.

Its after final payment. Me being a cruiser that NEEDS an accessible cabin to sail, I say go for it. Just know that you could be moved if a disabled passenger needs the cabin.

With that said, most of us know we have to book months in advance.

Enjoy the extra room but you better act fast :)

Edited by ryano

That's a pretty rude remark. What part of assigned a guaranty and after final payment do you not understand?

^^ This is a pretty irrelevant post. Do you ever use handicap accessible bath stalls or ramps? Big difference between Handicap accessible and handicap only.

The OPs Allure cruise is in August and way after final payment. You will be allowed to move to an accessible room. Be aware though, that the cruise-line may ask you to move if the room is needed by a disabled cruiser. If it was before final payment, the cruise line would need you to provide some type of documentation that you are handicap and need the room.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks!!

Royal Caribbean opens any unsold handicap cabins to general booking at 30 days out from sailing. There are no restrictions at that time. Just call and ask. If the CS rep says not possible to book-just call back and get a knowledgeable rep.

Thanks I will wait till the last 30 days to call RCI 😆

I only see only one accessible balcony cabin available (6626) for your sailing and honestly Im surprised it is. They must have had a cancellation.

Its after final payment. Me being a cruiser that NEEDS an accessible cabin to sail, I say go for it. Just know that you could be moved if a disabled passenger needs the cabin.

With that said, most of us know we have to book months in advance.

Enjoy the extra room but you better act fast :)

Thanks!! I was wondering if I wait till 30 days before we sail to ask for a bigger room if available and get it.... But somehow someone who needed the handicap accessible room would I get a better room than I originally paid for? Or worst?

We once (on a different line) got a handicap cabin assigned. I didn't care for the bathroom at all. There is no thresh hold and the shower is just there. The entire bathroom gets a shower, particularly the floor since there are no thresholds.

I'm wondering if the rules are relaxed at some point for allowing a party of two to book a cabin that would hold up to 4, which normally would not allow the booking? We were moved from a cabin holding 4 after one of our party cancelled reducing the cabin from 3 to 2 people. Not that we are looking to get that cabin back, but we could move one our party closer if another cabin opened up.

I'm wondering if the rules are relaxed at some point for allowing a party of two to book a cabin that would hold up to 4, which normally would not allow the booking? We were moved from a cabin holding 4 after one of our party cancelled reducing the cabin from 3 to 2 people. Not that we are looking to get that cabin back, but we could move one our party closer if another cabin opened up.

I believe they do allow the larger capacity staterooms to be booked by two people at some point closer to sail date. I don't know if that date is final payment or even closer to the sail date.

That's a pretty rude remark. What part of assigned a guaranty and after final payment do you not understand?

I kind of think it's rude for an able bodied person to ask for or inquire about a handicap accessible cabin, just because they want the extra room. It is different, if RCCL assigns the cabin, but to ask for it is just not right in so many ways, since a person in need of that room might be looking for it.

For the poster that ask if you use a handicap stall in a bathroom. Common courtesy would dictate that you do not use it, since most bathrooms have one stall, and many others available for able bodied. To use it, might mean that someone needing it might have to wait, or use another stall in a unsafe manner. To answer the question, I do not.

For the ramp question. Using a ramp, does not in most cases cause a handicap person any issues, however, I have seen a wheelchair bound person have to wait in busy locations for a clear pathway. In that case, common courtesy would be to not use the ramp.

So many people, without ever thinking, will use facilities, rooms, ramps, etc, and block access to these. So although, it is not "illegal" to walk up a ramp, or use a stall, it is common courtesy and decency not to use them when appropriate, and so asking for one, just because you like the extra room, is inappropriate.

You may think it's rude, but many disabled people think it's also rude, to use/request/or ignore the handicap sign with the pretense that it's not illegal, or allowed.

Thanks!! I was wondering if I wait till 30 days before we sail to ask for a bigger room if available and get it.... But somehow someone who needed the handicap accessible room would I get a better room than I originally paid for? Or worst?

You mean if last minute they have to give your room to a handicapped person? Why would you get a better room than you paid for? They certainly would not owe you anything.

NO! if you don't need one, don't request it. It's hard enough for those in wheelchairs to get one as it is. You want a bigger cabin, pay for it. Leave the handicap accessible rooms for people like my son who is wheelchair bound. :mad:

For the poster that ask if you use a handicap stall in a bathroom. Common courtesy would dictate that you do not use it, since most bathrooms have one stall, and many others available for able bodied. To use it, might mean that someone needing it might have to wait, or use another stall in a unsafe manner. To answer the question, I do not.

I disagree with you on this, especially if there's a line. When there is a line for the bathroom stalls, there's no rule that says a person with a disability doesn't have to wait their turn like everybody else. In addition, there are a whole lot of people who might appear to be able bodied, but who have a condition (knees, hips, old age) that requires a taller toilet. And an adult with a child might need a larger stall too. I think those are valid needs.

Judy

You may do whatever your conscience will allow you to do... Whatever you decide... I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I disagree with you on this, especially if there's a line. When there is a line for the bathroom stalls, there's no rule that says a person with a disability doesn't have to wait their turn like everybody else. In addition, there are a whole lot of people who might appear to be able bodied, but who have a condition (knees, hips, old age) that requires a taller toilet. And an adult with a child might need a larger stall too. I think those are valid needs.

Judy

I think you misunderstand. It's not about "waiting in line" or those that appear able bodied etc....No one is checking ID's. The issue was that an "able bodied" person asked on the post, if they can request a bigger handicap room, simply because they wanted it. Other post after it, said and implied things like ramps, and stalls, are also fair game. When a "choice" is available, such as no line, or no chance of interfering with a handicap person's help aids such as a ramp or stall or table, than you should not use it.

When the cruise line releases the cabin to a "able bodied" person to fill the ship, than it is ok, because the "ship" did it. However, when an "able bodied" person, request a handicap room and does not need it, than it's not right.

This is not a discussion about whether someone "looks" ok, or whether they need extra space for taking care of a kid (note, I used stalls often for kids, w/o the need for a handicap stall to accomplish it).

However, if you are in line for a bathroom, and you see someone in distress, wouldn't you let them go before you? I would. If a disabled person was behind you, would you tell them to go use the opened up stall, while you wait for the next one?

Sometimes, they need to "wait" in line for one available stall, while everyone else is waiting for "four" available stalls. It's not always what it seems. You would have a much better chance to take care of your needs faster than they would.

Bottom line - IF you don't need it, don't ask for it, don't use it, don't block it, leave it open, give it up, if you see someone needs it, and remember, those that need did not ask for their situation!

I think you misunderstand. It's not about "waiting in line" or those that appear able bodied etc....No one is checking ID's. The issue was that an "able bodied" person asked on the post, if they can request a bigger handicap room, simply because they wanted it. Other post after it, said and implied things like ramps, and stalls, are also fair game. When a "choice" is available, such as no line, or no chance of interfering with a handicap person's help aids such as a ramp or stall or table, than you should not use it.

When the cruise line releases the cabin to a "able bodied" person to fill the ship, than it is ok, because the "ship" did it. However, when an "able bodied" person, request a handicap room and does not need it, than it's not right.

This is not a discussion about whether someone "looks" ok, or whether they need extra space for taking care of a kid (note, I used stalls often for kids, w/o the need for a handicap stall to accomplish it).

However, if you are in line for a bathroom, and you see someone in distress, wouldn't you let them go before you? I would. If a disabled person was behind you, would you tell them to go use the opened up stall, while you wait for the next one?

Sometimes, they need to "wait" in line for one available stall, while everyone else is waiting for "four" available stalls. It's not always what it seems. You would have a much better chance to take care of your needs faster than they would.

Bottom line - IF you don't need it, don't ask for it, don't use it, don'tve it open, give it up, if you see someone needs it, and remember, those that need did not ask for their situation!

I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with requesting the cabin. RCCL has ample guidelines in place to have the cabin available if needed by a disabled person. If it is empty after booking is closed, why not be able to stay in it if desired?