Carnival destroys our luggage again

golfadj

We have been going on about 3 cruises a year and on about 1 in 3 our luggage gets severely damaged.

We typically drive to port and do self assist getting off so the only time they can do this is embarkation day.

Just off the Liberty and they destroyed one wheel and pretty much ripped off the rivets on two others. We were lucky to roll it off the ship.

Showed it to guest services and they gave us authorization to fix/repair.

Looked at other luggage today and they pretty much take themselves off the hook for mishandling (not that i blame them).

Our choices are to either take luggage to our cabin ourselves or resign myself to buying luggage once a year.

Anyone else having this problem?

Yep, I agree, they are rough on baggage. Since we cruise 2 or 3 times a year, I've learned to pick up luggage at thrift stores, in pretty good condition when I find them. They are usually only a few dollars, under 15, anyway.

This way, when they have ruined it, it gets hauled off to the land fill, and I use another. No more ruining expensive luggage for me.

We also drive to ports so its not the airlines fault this time. Just one of the costs of a cruise to me.

Yeah, I had a piece this year (leisure 360 from belks that was pricy) that looks beat and the handle doesn't extend all the way up when we got off the Sunshine. I don't have an option but check it going on the ship. Just got some new American tourister to try.

So either I take something that doesn't roll well like my old stuff that I don't care if it gets broken or I take something that rolls well but is a crap shoot if it is useable after debarkation.

I am cruising 2 to 3 times a year so I am thinking about looking into that luggage with the huge wheels - if this new stuff doesn't do well.

I agree with prev poster - keep an eye on weight. When my bags are 40#'s - that's usually when my stuff is damaged.

Edited by tbbtravels

Yeah, I had a piece this year (leisure 360 from belks that was pricy) that looks beat and the handle doesn't extend all the way up when we got off the Sunshine. I don't have an option but check it going on the ship. Just got some new American tourister to try.

So either I take something that doesn't roll well like my old stuff that I don't care if it gets broken or I take something that rolls well and is a crap shoot if it is useable after debarkation.

I am cruising 2 to 3 times a year so I am thinking about looking into that luggage with the huge wheels.

The problem with the huge wheels is they stick out and seem more susceptible to damage when they are thrown.

I bought new American Tourister luggage and have flown 3 times with it. Has to be replaced already.

What I'm saying is that I think it's more likely that the quality of luggage manufacturers has dropped more than the likelihood of luggage handelers being more rough.

Yep, I agree, they are rough on baggage. Since we cruise 2 or 3 times a year, I've learned to pick up luggage at thrift stores, in pretty good condition when I find them. They are usually only a few dollars, under 15, anyway.

This way, when they have ruined it, it gets hauled off to the land fill, and I use another. No more ruining expensive luggage for me.

We also drive to ports so its not the airlines fault this time. Just one of the costs of a cruise to me.

Interesting idea. Thanks.

I use a rolling duffel bag that has held up for 100+ trips..bought it in 2004. Its pretty hard to destroy...its a calpack, so it far from a great brand.

I would never hand over luggage with exposed wheels, its just far to easy for those to break under the weight of a dozen bags on top. If they handled the bags with kid gloves the ships would never leave on time. Knowing that I like my duffle with skate wheels

My crappy, cheap WalMart luggage has survived 5 cruises, 1 land vacation, and 12 flights.

Probably doesn't pay to buy anything expensive. Sorry to hear about your luggage, Stu.

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

Edited by soccersharon

Ten cruises with Carnival and never a problem (knock on wood!). DW's big suitcase could be used as one of the ship's anchors if needed. My hats off to those guys loading.

Fortunately, the cruise lines haven't damaged any of our luggage. The airlines now OTOH, have maimed a bag or two over the years.

I have now gotten my packing down to a carryon and tote bag (yes, even for a 7 day cruise including 2 dresses for elegant night) so I no longer check them. However when DH travels, he brings at least a garment bag and large rolling duffle. So far so good. Knock on wood.

I have to say I have been on three cruises. Two cruises We drove to the port in Baltimore, and one we had to fly to Orlando to sail out of port canavral. I bought seven 29" and two 21" for my carryons all from BED BATH & BEYOND.

With the 20% coupons I payed $31.00 for the big ones and $21.00 for the small ones. I have never had a problem. I guess you do not have to pay much for nice luggage.

We had a cruise out of San Juan years ago. The airline ruined my daughter's brand new suitcase- ripped the front pocket, broke the zipper to the other pocket and broke a wheel so that it was completely unusable.

We mentioned it to the Guest Services desk and even though it wasn't their fault, they did their best to fix it... they sewed the ripped pocket and made a wooden wheel to replace the broken one. It wasn't elegant, but at least her suitcase was now serviceable for the trip home!

Other than that, the only damage we had on a cruise was to my husband's golf clubs... they were fine after the flight (he checked, believe me!) but when they arrived at our cabin his driver head and one iron had been broken... when I went to Guest services on this cruise, their response was, oh well, that's really too bad! They did nothing.

Lesson learned, we don't travel with our golf clubs anymore- we just rent a set if we plan to play a round.

I guess I've been lucky!!

I've bought new luggage once, and it's lasted for all my cruises and vacations and flights.

I was considering getting some new hardsided cases -- but I'm second-thinking this after your thread, golfadj. I may just stick with these till they fall apart or get ruined. They weren't expensive, so I won't mind!!

I am like some others, never have had a problem with the cruise lines and we have always checked ours, same with the airlines. I do not travel to carry my luggage. Have had a few pieces damaged by the airlines over the years.

We have been going on about 3 cruises a year and on about 1 in 3 our luggage gets severely damaged.

We typically drive to port and do self assist getting off so the only time they can do this is embarkation day.

Just off the Liberty and they destroyed one wheel and pretty much ripped off the rivets on two others. We were lucky to roll it off the ship.

Showed it to guest services and they gave us authorization to fix/repair.

Looked at other luggage today and they pretty much take themselves off the hook for mishandling (not that i blame them).

Our choices are to either take luggage to our cabin ourselves or resign myself to buying luggage once a year.

Anyone else having this problem?

When I used the canvas type luggage with the plastic sections interiorly the held it rigid the airline and the cruise line combined would break the little plastic stays essentially causing my luggage to become a canvas bag. Now my checked bag is hard sided. They keep sticking faster to the fun stickers on it which are bright orange and cannot be removed. I have two of these stickers on my new hard sided suitcase. But at least they didn't break it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

This is why I chose not to get a "spinner" bag - the wheel assemblies are completely exposed. Luggage gets put into huge rolling cages with openings just the right size to snag a wheel set and snap it right off.

Whenever I see a relatively new-looking piece of luggage put out for trash it's a spinner bag with a wheel snapped off.

New luggage is expensive, but as your retire and replace your older bags consider going back to the wheel "pull behind" bags. Those wheels are partially recessed and not nearly as vulnerable as "spinner" wheels.

Edited by BlueRiband

No problem thus far with the Carnival destroying our luggage. The airlines - probably every other trip. Was never a big spender when it comes to luggage, but I have gotten a few damage claims paid over the years.

We brought a new set for our trip in August for under $125, because one piece lost a wheel during our trip last year. They man handle those bags. No time to take care. Sorry that happened OP. Hope you had a good cruise.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

We have a 30 yr. old Samsonite hard shell luggage that has seen a lot of mileage. There are gouges in the plastic, but otherwise no problems.

They don't have those spinner wheels...just inline wheels somewhat recessed.

I recently looked at new set at the outlet store near us, but similar quality suitcases cost more than I am willing to spend. So it might have to last another decade or so.

The third time I used my purple spinner, with the wheels tucked under so they aren't as exposed as most I've seen, one wheel was damaged. And it was marked all over one side with yellow chalk. Don't fly so it was after I dropped it off with the porter.

I've resigned to factor in luggage as a cruise cost.

8 cruises and multiple other vacations/flights and *knock on wood* I've never experienced any damage. My luggage definitely looks worn and dirty, but that's to be expected. Luggage is designed to protect what is inside, not look beautiful on the outside.

No different than what the airline does to bags - our big ones are both missing wheels, pulls, etc.

We just decided it doesn't make sense to have"nice" luggage because it invariably gets torn up. We just take the same old crappy bags, which are structurally OK.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Cruise Critic App