Price adjustment question

Just wondering...has RCI ever allowed price adjustments (in the form of OBC) right up until sail date? I've only cruised carnival, and when you book their "no cancellation" rate, you qualify for all price drops up to the last minute...which has always scored me some nice OBC. I know Royal does not allow this...just wondering if they ever have? Upcoming Allure cruise is now $300 cheaper ( per room...I have 2 booked)...all they can do for me is upgrade me to an ocean view (currently in Central Park view) but I can't because I need the rooms to be connecting. Just curious...thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just wondering...has RCI ever allowed price adjustments (in the form of OBC) right up until sail date? I've only cruised carnival, and when you book their "no cancellation" rate, you qualify for all price drops up to the last minute...which has always scored me some nice OBC. I know Royal does not allow this...just wondering if they ever have? Upcoming Allure cruise is now $300 cheaper ( per room...I have 2 booked)...all they can do for me is upgrade me to an ocean view (currently in Central Park view) but I can't because I need the rooms to be connecting. Just curious...thanks

Up until May 2010, Royal granted price drops up to 72 hours before sailing. After May 2010, no credit of any kind after final payment, unless the price drop occurs within 48 hours of booking.

Also, regarding connecting staterooms, if you have minors in the orther stateroom, Royal will allow the stateroom to be adjacent or across the hall. Royal does require the staterooms to be connecting.

Edited by clarea

The big drawback of checking prices after final payment is that you could have gotten a "better deal." This can be a bit upsetting. But the rules are clear and, IMHO, fair. In your case you need 2 cabins next to or across from each other. That will be tough this late in the game. But then again, that is why you booked when you did. You were able to get cabins that suited your budget and your need. If you only needed a cabin for 2, you could upgrade. But look at availability. It still may be possible to find someplace you can upgrade to.

It's best to accept that even though you may have paid a bit more, you were able to choose your cabin. If you had waited, you possibly wouldn't be able to go. Enjoy the cruise. You'll have a great time.

Up until May 2010, Royal granted price drops up to 72 hours before sailing. After May 2010, no credit of any kind after final payment, unless the price drop occurs within 48 hours of booking.

Oh, the good old days;)

Also, regarding connecting staterooms, if you have minors in the orther stateroom, Royal will allow the stateroom to be adjacent or across the hall. Royal does require the staterooms to be connecting.

Just curious but did you find back then that prices did not drop as much as they do now? Did the prices really drop at the 72 hour mark for some great last minute deals?

Just curious but did you find back then that prices did not drop as much as they do now? Did the prices really drop at the 72 hour mark for some great last minute deals?

I don't remember it being any different now than it is then. Prices dropped then, they drop now. Most did not drop at the 72 hour cutoff though. THey usually still dropped shortly after final payment dates.

I agree, we saw most of our price drops within the month after final payment. I think the economy was the driving factor more than anything else. It was actually routine to get price drops in 2008-2010. Not so much anymore.

Oh, the good old days;)

I have a NC ( it is for Celebrity, so it is called something different) that was purchased in 2008, so perhaps that might give me some benefit when the price drops ..... I have to book the cruise sooner or later ..... have been cruising on RCI's ships since 2008.

I have a NC ( it is for Celebrity, so it is called something different) that was purchased in 2008, so perhaps that might give me some benefit when the price drops ..... I have to book the cruise sooner or later ..... have been cruising on RCI's ships since 2008.

If Celebrity's policy is like Royal's, they will grant you the price drop policy in effect when you bought the NC.

If Celebrity's policy is like Royal's, they will grant you the price drop policy in effect when you bought the NC.

Thanks clarea, I do not know what Celebrity's policy is ...... but when I book the cruise on one of their ships I will not think much about the price drop ..... but it would be a nice benefit if it does exist with them.

Probably it will be hard to find any information about that, because the certificate is old and getting older and some of the agents do not know anything about them.

I disagree. We have had numerous price drops in the past few weeks and in the last three cruises the prices dropped enough that we were able to upgrade from a JS to a GS , then a GS to a RFS and finally from a GS to an OS at no extra charge approximately one month before sailing. It is all dependent on when your sailing and if the ship is filling up.

If I were you, I would do a mock booking everyday to look at the prices and what category of cabins are still available. If there are a lot of suites available after final payment, I can pretty much guarantee, the suite prices will go down significantly. Good luck!