Does accepting an upgrade reduce my chances of taking advantage of a price drop?

Stockjock

So here's the deal.

I recently booked an obstructed oceanview cabin on deck 8 of the Golden Princess (category OW). Princess was nice enough to offer to offer me a complimentary upgrade to an unobstructed oceanview cabin on deck 5 (category OC).

Then, I looked at availability for this cruise...

My new category, OC is almost fully booked. While the old category, OW, is nearly wide open.

So I started wondering if the reasons behind the upgrade were entirely altruistic?

For example, there would be little reason to lower the price on non-obstructed oceanview cabins since they're nearly full. So it would seem less likely that I would be able to take advantage of a future price drop, as they won't need to do so since they're near capacity.

But there are a ton of obstructed rooms left and if I'm a betting man, my guess is that they will reduce prices sharply on those obstructed rooms in order to fill them.

So...by moving many from the obstructed rooms to the at capacity non-obstructed category, they prevent passengers from taking advantage of the future price reductions that are likely to occur.

Am I thinking this through properly or not?

IF I understand you correctly. Your current cabin has many openings. The upgraded cabin catogory is almost filled. You think they want to upgrade you to the almost filled catogory so when they reduce the price on your current cat. you will not be able to receive the price reduction. I say stay where you are and see what happens. That is if you are happy with your current cabin.

Has final payment come and gone?

Good luck and enjoy your cruise no matter what you do.

When is the cruise? Most of the time I don't book our cruises until after the final payment date. The few times I've booked before the final payment date, I've watched prices closely. If you see a better price on your original category, you can get it but you'll probably lose your upgrade assignment. If you would be happy in an OW, it's a no-brainer.

If you are upgraded and want to take advantage of a price drop, very often that will result in the upgrade being withdrawn, unless they REALLY need those cabins (which means there probably wouldn't be a price drop anyway).

So here's the deal.

I recently booked an obstructed oceanview cabin on deck 8 of the Golden Princess (category OW). Princess was nice enough to offer to offer me a complimentary upgrade to an unobstructed oceanview cabin on deck 5 (category OC).

My new category, OC is almost fully booked. While the old category, OW, is nearly wide open.

So I started wondering if the reasons behind the upgrade were entirely altruistic?

For example, there would be little reason to lower the price on non-obstructed oceanview cabins since they're nearly full. So it would seem less likely that I would be able to take advantage of a future price drop, as they won't need to do so since they're near capacity.

But there are a ton of obstructed rooms left and if I'm a betting man, my guess is that they will reduce prices sharply on those obstructed rooms in order to fill them.

So...by moving many from the obstructed rooms to the at capacity non-obstructed category, they prevent passengers from taking advantage of the future price reductions that are likely to occur.

Could be someone else maybe wanted the cabin you had booked. Could be anything.

If you are upgraded and want to take advantage of a price drop, very often that will result in the upgrade being withdrawn, unless they REALLY need those cabins (which means there probably wouldn't be a price drop anyway).
Yup. If you decide to change back to an OW, it'll be a rejection of the upgrade. To get a lower price, you'd probably have to rebook and pay the new rate as most fare reductions are for new bookings only. If you're past final payment, I'll practically guarantee that you have to cancel, take the penalty and rebook.

A couple of years ago, I'd booked an obstructed view cabin on the Island Princess. Fares dropped and I upgraded myself to an unobstructed on Plaza deck. I really regretted it because it didn't matter a whit. The bed is against the window and I didn't look out the window other than to check the weather.

Take the upgrade. If you want to keep looking at pricing, go ahead. IF you see a price before final payment lower than your original price, then you decide if you would rather keep the upgrade or take the lower price and go back to the lower category. You don't have to decide that now.

Princess will upgrade and/or adjust pricing as needed to fill the ship. It appears sufficient numbers are booking at current prices and/or accepting upgrades at this point in time prior to sailing to keep pricing where it is. That changes on a sailing by sailing basis according to passenger mix and a closely guarded inventory-revenue model.

A couple of years ago, I'd booked an obstructed view cabin on the Island Princess. Fares dropped and I upgraded myself to an unobstructed on Plaza deck. I really regretted it because it didn't matter a whit. The bed is against the window and I didn't look out the window other than to check the weather.
While we, on the other hand, received an upgrade from an obstructed view guarantee to an unobstructed one on the Plaza Deck and loved the location. That cruise was also on the Island Princess.

We did not spend all day looking out the window, but it was nice not to have a lifeboat in front of us when we did.

Stockjock....."Then, I looked at availability for this cruise.....My new category, OC is almost fully booked. While the old category, OW, is nearly wide open."

How did you find out that one category was almost fully booked and the other nearly wide open?

Stockjock....."Then, I looked at availability for this cruise.....My new category, OC is almost fully booked. While the old category, OW, is nearly wide open."

How did you find out that one category was almost fully booked and the other nearly wide open?

You can do a sample booking on their website, but don't complete it obviously. It will show which cabins are available and which are sold.

So here's the deal.

I had a similar upgrade (OZ to OC) and, long story short, I got my OZ back. I liked the location better.

As for your situation with an OC, if they upgrade you again it will have to be to a balcony. So you might want to check balcony availability, if you are interested that possibility.

I am new to Princess myself, but I understand their big price drops often occur after final payment, so I wouldn't count on being able to catch one of those.

Bottom line, it is a crapshoot. They may be keeping those obstructeds open for now to upgrade inside pax down the road to keep low category insides available for ad purposes if they start selling out. Who knows?

Best of luck.

My sister booked us on the Caribbean princess Aug 23 also in an obstructed oceanview. We booked two weeks ago and paid in full. Now a sale has started and the price has dropped $609 for the same category room. She's calling the travel agent now and we are hopeful for some OBC. This will be my 1st time on Princess and I will be more than disappointed if they do nothing about the price drop. Does anyone have experience with this after the PIF date?

Thanks, Kelly

Feb '11 Carnival Elation

Nov '11 Carnival Fascination

Sept '12 Royal Monarch of the Seas

Nov '12 Royal Freedom of the Seas

Sept '13 Carnival Dream

Jan '14 Disney Dream

Mar '14 Disney Magic

Aug '14 Caribbean Princess

Oct '14 Carnival Dream

May '15 Disney Fantasy

My sister booked us on the Caribbean princess Aug 23 also in an obstructed oceanview. We booked two weeks ago and paid in full. Now a sale has started and the price has dropped $609 for the same category room. She's calling the travel agent now and we are hopeful for some OBC. This will be my 1st time on Princess and I will be more than disappointed if they do nothing about the price drop. Does anyone have experience with this after the PIF date?

After the final payment date, lower prices are usually only for new bookings only. If that is the case with the lower price you are seeing, it is unlikely (though not impossible) you might get some benefit from the lower pricing.

Not much different from buying a car and then seeing a lower price on it two weeks later. Ot buying items at a grocery store and seeing a reduced priced the following week.

After the final payment date, lower prices are usually only for new bookings only. If that is the case with the lower price you are seeing, it is unlikely (though not impossible) you might get some benefit from the lower pricing.

Not much different from buying a car and then seeing a lower price on it two weeks later. Ot buying items at a grocery store and seeing a reduced priced the following week.

Thanks for the reply. We have booked with Carnival in the past and always had price protection. Up until two days before we cruise we can receive the reduction. Still waiting for the TA to reply. My sister is Platinum with Princess so maybe that will help.

Feb '11 Carnival Elation

Nov '11 Carnival Fascination

Sept '12 Royal Monarch of the Seas

Nov '12 Royal Freedom of the Seas

Sept '13 Carnival Dream

Jan '14 Disney Dream

Mar '14 Disney Magic

Aug '14 Caribbean Princess

Oct '14 Carnival Dream

May '15 Disney Fantasy

Thanks

Princess is under no obligation to issue a refund . We have been fortunate in the past to recieve a refund after final and we have also been denied. I don't demand it and understand its a business.

If they gave back money to everyone that booked early as the sailing got closer and the price lowered in order to fill it then they would not be in business long.

You can do a sample booking on their website, but don't complete it obviously. It will show which cabins are available and which are sold.

Geez.....haven't tried that before........thanks for the info.......good luck on your options!

Thanks, Kelly

The Carnival Price Protection is only available for Early Saver bookings, which you would not have qualified for this close to sailing and with Early Saver you pay a $50 penalty, so there is a cost associated with that feature. You just cannot compare the two cruiseline booking policies, and with your sister being platinum, she should be aware of how Princess' bookings work.

The current Princess sale terms are stated below. I have bolded the relevant sentence. Not that it will make you feel any better, but even if you had not already booked note that it is capacity controlled and means the lower price could sell out at any time:

*Fares apply to minimum lead-in categories on a space-available basis at time of booking. Fares for other categories and sailings may vary. Fares are per person, non-air, cruise- or cruisetour-only, based on double occupancy and apply to the first two guests in a stateroom. These fares do not apply to singles or third/fourthberth guests. This offer is capacity controlled and for new bookings only. Offer is not combinable with any past guest, travel agent or Interline fares, including air discounts. Offer is available to residents of the 50 United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Bermuda and the District of Columbia who are 21 years of age or older and receive this offer. Fares quoted in U.S. dollars. Please refer to princess.com for terms, conditions and definitions that apply to all bookings. Offer expires: July 16, 2014. Reference promo codes: RX/Z

If your TA is unable to get a refund (it's very rare in this situation) perhaps you could get an upgrade instead. It's worth asking.

Edited by cherylandtk

Yup. If you decide to change back to an OW, it'll be a rejection of the upgrade. To get a lower price, you'd probably have to rebook and pay the new rate as most fare reductions are for new bookings only. If you're past final payment, I'll practically guarantee that you have to cancel, take the penalty and rebook.

That is a bummer! I was fortunate enough to receive an upgrade to the Plaza deck on the Sapphire. I had one of the few cabins that had the bed against the side wall and not under the window. It was great! I could be in bed on my side and enjoy a really nice ocean view. I really liked having the ocean at window level.

Sure would be nice if someone would do a website for Plaza deck cabins indicating which had beds under the window or against

the wall like Renmar's for Obstructed OV cabins.

I think that a lot of whether you get a credit after final payment depends on who you get, how nice you are, and what kind of day they're having!

Sort of like life in general ;)! BTW, I have heard that if you get turned down for a credit after final payment, you may be able to negotiate OBC instead.

That is a bummer! I was fortunate enough to receive an upgrade to the Plaza deck on the Sapphire. I had one of the few cabins that had the bed against the side wall and not under the window. It was great! I could be in bed on my side and enjoy a really nice ocean view. I really liked having the ocean at window level.

Sure would be nice if someone would do a website for Plaza deck cabins indicating which had beds under the window or against

the wall like Renmar's for Obstructed OV cabins.

Excellent idea! I nominate--- YOU! I'm sure lots of folks would greatly appreciate your time and effort... :D