Are BOGO prices deceiving or just annoying?

I was looking at a cruise for next year and decided that this was the time to book it because of the 50% discount on the second person. So I checked the prices and find that RCCL pricing a bit confusing - deceiving - annoying (in my opinion).

An ocean view is advertised at $1536.50. So I assumed (wrongly) that the price for the second person would be 50% off - so the second person should cost $768.25. Bringing a total price to $2304.75. But of course the price comes out at $3073.

It is apparent that the advertised price is the already discounted price. How disappointing :eek:.

I think a lot of people find the pricing scheme both confusing and annoying. There have been many posts over the past month about it. It's worst the first time you look. After that, you know not to get too excited.

I think it makes sense for them to display the discount price up front. Many might now know about the sale so unless they have some sort of instructions on the web page such as "click here to see the discounted price", people might just click away because the initial price shown is too high.

I think it makes sense for them to display the discount price up front. Many might now know about the sale so unless they have some sort of instructions on the web page such as "click here to see the discounted price", people might just click away because the initial price shown is too high.

Bob I am going to have to disagree with you. Advertisements are not supposed to include anything that might mislead the customer. If they want to put the discounted price up front, then do it.

But don't also have banner ads saying "BOGOHO" and then average the price in advance.

They want it both ways.

I have not looked since the day the sale began after booking two cruises and loving the price. It was nice to see the price of the two cruises I was looking at three days before drop by ~25% each when the sale kicked in. I'll take it and run with it.

I can see how it would be confusing receiving an average price thinking the discount is coming off the rate displayed. (I don't recall that was in place on day 1. Could be wrong.)

Bob I am going to have to disagree with you. Advertisements are not supposed to include anything that might mislead the customer. If they want to put the discounted price up front, then do it.

But don't also have banner ads saying "BOGOHO" and then average the price in advance.

They want it both ways.

One other reason RCI may be doing this is quite a few people do not use RCI's website to book.

All of the TA's have on line search functions and many allow you to compare prices from one cruise line to another side by side. Theses agencies are pulling the prices from Royals website. If RCI were to put the higher prices in they would look grossly overpriced compared to others.

It was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

I am both glad, and frustrated (at first) that they show they already discounted priced up front.

Frustrated- I agree with the philosophy of one poster suggests that it's misleading the consumer. If your local store had a bogoho sale on potato chips, you would expect that the advertised price to be the normal price for one bag, and that your second one would be 50% off that price. But, in Royal's case, once you KNOW about it - we understand. (I do admit that the first time I saw it, I was a little frustrated)

Glad - I'll bet that 95% of veteran CC users utilize some form of automatic price tracking with auto notifications, etc. I don't think these websites would be accurate anymore if the up front price was not already averaged (at least without any additional programming). I check my price tracker 2-3 times per day, every day just in case I see a price drop.

I don't know why, but I never had a problem with the BOGOHO pricing.

Because you live in FLA, and have the opportunity to cruise more easily than most. That just makes you a happier person overall, and less bothered by pretty much everything in life. You are an anomaly. ;):D

I just booked mine a couple of days ago. I was not even aware of the BOGOHO special. I saw a decent price upfront and got excited about it...then I got slightly confused when I saw the "details" where it showed the original price as much higher, and then the discount was taken off. Once I did the math and realized that came out to be the price that pulled me in at the beginning, I was happy again.

They did at least make it pretty clear and easy to see the details of the whole price with one extra click...and once you know how their pricing works, you'll know what to look for in the future when considering cost.

Because you live in FLA, and have the opportunity to cruise more easily than most. That just makes you a happier person overall, and less bothered by pretty much everything in life. You are an anomaly. ;):D

Funny thanks i needed a laugh,have a great day. :)

I was looking at a cruise for next year and decided that this was the time to book it because of the 50% discount on the second person. So I checked the prices and find that RCCL pricing a bit confusing - deceiving - annoying (in my opinion).

An ocean view is advertised at $1536.50. So I assumed (wrongly) that the price for the second person would be 50% off - so the second person should cost $768.25. Bringing a total price to $2304.75. But of course the price comes out at $3073.

It is apparent that the advertised price is the already discounted price. How disappointing :eek:.

I found out the same way. Was also expecting it to be lower.

I understand it's half off the current rates, but was expecting the discount to show at checkout. After the first round of this sale went off, the online price did go up to the list rate. Glad they extended it.

I finally learned to click on the pricing details link to see the discount and pricing details.

I'm looking to book Liberty for August next year. The BOGO price for two of us in a basic balcony cabin is $4300. How is that a sale? Ridiculous price - the current rate is 2700pp.

I generally pay less than that for 4 of us in 2 cabins for a summer cruise.

Edited by DonnaK

To me there just seemed to be confusion if the sailing I was looking for was truly in the BOGOHO sale or not. Surely it's not too high an IT hurdle to add a "sale price" graphic or banner to indicate it's a sale price.

I think I'm just going to turn my T/A loose on the 3 I've got my eyes on and see if she comes back with "...and this one's on sale!"

Edited by MichaelCMTX

Frustrated- I agree with the philosophy of one poster suggests that it's misleading the consumer. If your local store had a bogoho sale on potato chips, you would expect that the advertised price to be the normal price for one bag, and that your second one would be 50% off that price. But, in Royal's case, once you KNOW about it - we understand. (I do admit that the first time I saw it, I was a little frustrated)

This makes sense, and I see why it could frustrate people. But really the standard for travel pricing is to show the average price per person, so to me it would be LESS straightforward and more gimmicky to show only the 1st guest price, and only show the "real" price after you click through.

But judging by all the complaints we've seen about it I'm probably in the minority (as usual :p)

I see that Princess also has a Book one get 50% 2nd guest.

https://book.princess.com/html/global/cruisedeals/caribbean-getaways-sale/#.U7VU6fmJ8Qo

I see princess is doing it the less confusing way. Price of an interior on 8/23 is $599. After clicking through the price of the 2nd pax is $299 for a total of $898 plus the taxes and fees.

Bill

This makes sense, and I see why it could frustrate people. But really the standard for travel pricing is to show the average price per person, so to me it would be LESS straightforward and more gimmicky to show only the 1st guest price, and only show the "real" price after you click through.

But judging by all the complaints we've seen about it I'm probably in the minority (as usual :p)

Might have been a bit better if RCCL labeled it either as average price per person or showed the first guest at the 100% rate and guest two at the 50% rate.

Edited by Don Pedro

I think the BOGOHO is a joke. I booked a cruise in October right before the sale, and I paid less for two at full price than when it went on sale. ALl they did was raise the price for the sale.

I think the BOGOHO is a joke. I booked a cruise in October right before the sale, and I paid less for two at full price than when it went on sale. ALl they did was raise the price for the sale.

I wouldn't say it's a joke, but it was definitely not a cost savings for all cruises. We saved significantly on two cruises, and others went up in price. Basically, rather than making a list of cruises with sale prices, Royal said all cruises were on sale, but raised the prices of the cruises they didn't really want on sale.