Are BOGO prices deceiving or just annoying?

I feel like there were deals to be had at the beginning of the sale, but the last month or more, the deals are few and far between. It's mostly outrageous prices with 50% off the second passenger at this point and it has been for quite a while now.

So yes, it's deceiving AND annoying.

When I originally booked our Liberty cruise, I was disappointed by the pricing, thinking we would get a bigger discount

We booked our Nav cruise during the june BOGOHO knowing the pricing structure.

It has gone up a $200+pp since the sale ended

So it has its good and bad

Edited by jonbgd

I was looking at a cruise for next year and decided that this was the time to book it because of the 50% discount on the second person. So I checked the prices and find that RCCL pricing a bit confusing - deceiving - annoying (in my opinion).

An ocean view is advertised at $1536.50. So I assumed (wrongly) that the price for the second person would be 50% off - so the second person should cost $768.25. Bringing a total price to $2304.75. But of course the price comes out at $3073.

It is apparent that the advertised price is the already discounted price. How disappointing :eek:.

They really need to insert "Prices already discounted" to avoid confusion.

Bottom line is if the prices you see are within your budget, or like me less than what I paid for a similar cruise the year previous than it is a good deal.

There are many, many options on other lines to spend your hard earned vacation dollars if Royal's prices are too expensive and especially for those who believe RCL's promotion strategies are shady, underhanded etc.

I believe most of us saved cash when we called on exsisting cruises the first morning of the sale May 1st.

Four out of my six cruises I received a new lower price. I've booked two more on May 2nd that have gone up in price since then.

As others have said, the first few days were the great deals.

Shelton

I wouldn't say it's a joke, but it was definitely not a cost savings for all cruises. We saved significantly on two cruises, and others went up in price. Basically, rather than making a list of cruises with sale prices, Royal said all cruises were on sale, but raised the prices of the cruises they didn't really want on sale.

The night before (April 30) the BOGOHO sail began, the price on our Serenade 2016 jumped by $800 per person. Being on the West Coast, I was unaware that there was a pending sale... but sort of figured that there was going to be one.

With the huge jump in the initial price, there was never any reason to re-price the booking.

I wouldn't say it's a joke, but it was definitely not a cost savings for all cruises. We saved significantly on two cruises, and others went up in price. Basically, rather than making a list of cruises with sale prices, Royal said all cruises were on sale, but raised the prices of the cruises they didn't really want on sale.

I would not say its a joke either.

I had been looking at the Serenade sailing in 2016 since we returned from Equinox in April. The prices for all cabin categories remained steady and at original deployment / release price. We finally set our budget for the cruise which determined the cabin category.

Got busy and did not get a chance to book until a few days later, at which point the sale was in effect. When I went to book, what a wonderful surprise to see the price of the cruise had dropped (actually, I was unaware of the sale at first). For us, the price of the cruise had dropped ~25%, which allowed us to move up a category for a little less money in total for the new cabin category than we originally planned to pay for the lower cabin category. (Not to mention, the added benefit of applying the C&A discount helps as well.)

I see what you are saying perhaps display "Average Price per Passenger" on main screen might help. Of course, when you click Pricing Details, the price breakdown indicates the 50% off for the second passenger. My only question is would the average price be impacted if there were more than 2 passengers in a cabin? That might be part of their problem. If they added the "average" disclaimer, it might cause an issue for those cruises with more than 2 - or an added layer of complexity in coding. Yet, displaying everything at full fare unless you click the Detail might scare people off.

Just a couple of thoughts...

I would not say its a joke either.

I had been looking at the Serenade sailing in 2016 since we returned from Equinox in April. The prices for all cabin categories remained steady and at original deployment / release price. We finally set our budget for the cruise which determined the cabin category.

Got busy and did not get a chance to book until a few days later, at which point the sale was in effect. When I went to book, what a wonderful surprise to see the price of the cruise had dropped (actually, I was unaware of the sale at first). For us, the price of the cruise had dropped ~25%, which allowed us to move up a category for a little less money in total for the new cabin category than we originally planned to pay for the lower cabin category. (Not to mention, the added benefit of applying the C&A discount helps as well.)

I see what you are saying perhaps display "Average Price per Passenger" on main screen might help. Of course, when you click Pricing Details, the price breakdown indicates the 50% off for the second passenger. My only question is would the average price be impacted if there were more than 2 passengers in a cabin? That might be part of their problem. If they added the "average" disclaimer, it might cause an issue for those cruises with more than 2 - or an added layer of complexity in coding. Yet, displaying everything at full fare unless you click the Detail might scare people off.

Just a couple of thoughts...

I don't know about your sailing, but in general the prices for 2016 sailings were substantially higher than prior years when they were released. That tells me they released prices high knowing that they would discount them heavily with kids sail free, BOGOHO, etc.

There has been one "sale" after another since itineraries were released in April/May. Coincidence? No.

Did a few wise people come out well? Absolutely. Did they do a good job fooling the vast majority people? Absolutely.

I always find these sorts of advertisements confusing -- I see them a lot on brochures I get for luxury lines. I can never figure out what the actual cost is of the cruise they are advertising. Feeling like such a fool not being able to figure out what price the brochure says I would pay makes me hate the cruise line and want never to sail on it at any price!

The "BOGOHO" wording is designed to draw people in, but it does the reverse for me.

What I dislike is the cheap price they show for inside cabin then you go in and it's not that price at all. I asked RCCL they say that one sold out. Well they can update those prices if they wanted to but it draws people in.

Brenda

I agree, that is frustrating. I've been a victim of that website behavior many times.

Annoying AND misleading. And disappointing when you look at the bottom line. One of my upcoming Navigator cruises that I booked the week before the sale, was double what I paid when they had the BOGO. Not ALMOST double. It was double (plus a few dollars more).

I know some people said they got great deals on the BOGO. There is no way in HAIL I'd have paid the price for my cabin/sailing that they were charging on the "sale." And that was the 1st week of the sale. Now I'm thinking I got the deal of the century, though when I booked I was pleased w/ my price but not…. WOWWW pleased :eek:

I just booked our cruise with the BOGOHO promo. Initially, I thought my price would be lower (lowest advertised for balcony). But, now I guess that's for a lower deck, maybe? We have a Category E-1 on Deck 8. Would Deck 7 be less? Either way, WITH taxes, fees and port charges, mine is $1589.68 and my husband's is $868.68. A total of $2,458,36. How does this sound for a New England/Canada cruise next September? I'll still keep my eye open for lower pricing, of course. Just not sure how this compares to better promos or if this is a decent rate.

I was also caught by surprise by this. We already had our cabin booked for our next cruise but I told two other couples that were on the fence that RCI was having a BOGO sale and that if they planned to go, now is the time to make a reservation. After the sale price, their cabin is $300 higher than the price that we paid. Sounds like shenanigans to me.

I just booked our cruise with the BOGOHO promo. Initially, I thought my price would be lower (lowest advertised for balcony). But, now I guess that's for a lower deck, maybe? We have a Category E-1 on Deck 8. Would Deck 7 be less? Either way, WITH taxes, fees and port charges, mine is $1589.68 and my husband's is $868.68. A total of $2,458,36. How does this sound for a New England/Canada cruise next September? I'll still keep my eye open for lower pricing, of course. Just not sure how this compares to better promos or if this is a decent rate.

Is that a 9-night? If so that's a decent price since balconies on those are at a premium.

I was also caught by surprise by this. We already had our cabin booked for our next cruise but I told two other couples that were on the fence that RCI was having a BOGO sale and that if they planned to go, now is the time to make a reservation. After the sale price, their cabin is $300 higher than the price that we paid. Sounds like shenanigans to me.

It may seem like shenanigans but what's happening is - with the sale, they are pre-selling cabins at a higher than normal rate. The RCL computer system automatically adjust prices based on supply and demand, factoring in no. of days til sailing. There is a magic number or goal of cablns booked compared to date of sailing they shoot for. If they are behind schedule, prices go down. If they are ahead of schedule, prices adjust up. As you get closer to a cruise, sometimes the calender catches up to the cabins available and then they get another surplus situation so prices go down again.

I guess the sale has done what they wanted to do/ sell more cabins at higher prices.

I also think a LITTLE Something to do with th higher prices is the higher fuel costs. Instead of the old surcharge,,they may be building that in to the fares

The trend definitely has been prices rising since the sale began, and Yes those who booked early on got the best deals. On my Nov 27 cruise, WITHOUT the BOGO in effect (2014 cruises weren't eligible til June), the price for our inside cabin went from $347/pp to $709/pp! DOUBLE! All about the demand.

Bottom line is if the prices you see are within your budget, or like me less than what I paid for a similar cruise the year previous than it is a good deal.

There are many, many options on other lines to spend your hard earned vacation dollars if Royal's prices are too expensive and especially for those who believe RCL's promotion strategies are shady, underhanded etc.

You are correct. I look for deals that fit my budget. Sale or not RCL was not meeting my needs so I took my business elsewhere.

I love the bogoho sale, booked 3 cruises all 7 days two in GS for approx. 1600 a person one in js for about 1200 a person.

Glad you are happy with the deal, that is what counts. I am a solo traveler with over 350 cruise points so I get the 150 single supplement rate. The BOGO sale should have given cruisers a price similar to what I normally pay. I usually book a GS, before the sale it would cost somewhere between $2300 and $2500. With the BOGO sale, on most sailings, my cost would increase by nearly $1000. I am patiently waiting for the sale to end before booking anything new.

Edited by Don Pedro

No, it's a 7 day cruise for a hump balcony. I'll just keep checking for lower rates throughout the year. I've only sailed on one balcony and that was a free upgrade for booking 8 cabins on that particular cruise. So, I'm kind of out of the loop when it comes to pricing for those.

Is that a 9-night? If so that's a decent price since balconies on those are at a premium.

No, it's a 7 day cruise for a hump balcony. I'll just keep checking for lower rates throughout the year. I've only sailed on one balcony and that was a free upgrade for booking 8 cabins on that particular cruise. So, I'm kind of out of the loop when it comes to pricing for those.

That cruise is a limited run, so prices are higher than typical 7 day Caribbean cruises. I think you got an OK deal.

I was looking at a cruise for next year and decided that this was the time to book it because of the 50% discount on the second person. So I checked the prices and find that RCCL pricing a bit confusing - deceiving - annoying (in my opinion).

An ocean view is advertised at $1536.50. So I assumed (wrongly) that the price for the second person would be 50% off - so the second person should cost $768.25. Bringing a total price to $2304.75. But of course the price comes out at $3073.

It is apparent that the advertised price is the already discounted price. How disappointing :eek:.

I agree...its both

I have been monitoring our price for our cruise and it changes monthly. BOGO was not a deal for us. We were lucky to book when they had a Residents Rate. It will be interesting to watch the rates change with each promotion. It goes to show that a deal sometimes isn't a deal!

This is what we've come across so far. All prices are in Canadian $'s..

Category B1 - Boardwalk Stateroom w/ Balcony

Feb 2015 Sailing

May 2014 pricing Canadian Residents Rate

Guest #1 $1570 - $613 Resident discount = $957 plus $129 tax = $1086

Guest #2 $1570 - $613 Resident discount = $957 plus $129 tax = $1086

Guest #3 $679 plus $129 = $808

Resident Rate Stateroom total = $2980

June 2014 - BOGO Rate

Guest #1 $1629 plus $129 tax = $1786

Guest #2 $1629 - $815 BOGO plus $129 tax = $943

Guest #3 $679 plus $129 = $808

BOGO Rate Stateroom Total = $3509