Must try booze list

fitsea

So we all know that, when going abroad, there are always new beers and hooch to try that aren't available stateside. I'm taking a Western Carib cruise in a little over a month. What do I /need/ to try?

I can't offer any suggestions at this point (since I only purchase the standards (Beefeaters, Tanqueray, Kahlua, etc) when in the Caribbean, but I am definitely interested to hear the suggestion for new things that other's might have that I might want to try in the future!!!!!

Melissa

One of my DH's favorite rum is the white Appleton Rum from Jamaica. We found it here so we don't carry it anymore, but, it doesn't taste the same. Another favorite is Don Q Crystal from Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

....from Sint Maarten is a MUST! Many flavors, but my fave is the Orange Guavaberry Rum! Also the Mount Gay rum from Barbados. Liquor purchased there has a higher alcohol content than what is sold in the US under the same name, that's why the taste is different.

Can you buy Pusser's Blue Label British Navy Rum in the US come from the British Virgin islands. ??

Will make you fell like one of Nelson sailors. Used to be that any British warship visiting Tortola would be given a number of bottles depended on how many crew where on board. Saturdays lunch time when at sea every man over the age of 18 would be given a tot this being called 'Up Spirits' unlike today's shop brought bottles this was originally 110% proof. :)

Are there any vodkas (different flavors preferably) found in the carribean that is not sold in the states?

Or if it is sold here, way BETTER and cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stoli flavored vodkas are found here but they usually have them $10-11 a bottle on the 2fer sales onboard. Cost ~$20 something a bottle by me.

Friendly Duty Free usually has good liquor prices in St. Martin.

Not necessarily in a port stop but I am partial to Sheridan's, sold on the ship. Here is the description: Sheridan, with its white liqueur having a white chocolate richness, and the black of warm coffee and whiskey, the whole rounded off by a chocolate & nutty finish. As far as I know, it is not available in the U.S. They usually have samples during the liquor tasting.

Edited by dacsmom

Are there any vodkas (different flavors preferably) found in the carribean that is not sold in the states?

Or if it is sold here, way BETTER and cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here are the Vodkas you can get on ship

Absolut, Absolut Citron, Absolut Mandrin, Absolut Pears, Absolut Vanilia

Zodiac, Finlandia, Chopin, Smirnoff, Ultimat, Belvedere, Ketel One.

Plenty to choose from:)

Rum cream! Sangster's rum cream is the best stuff ever and I cannot find it anywhere stateside. There are other run creams but none come close to Sangster's. We bring back several bottles every trip.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ditto on the Sangster's Rum Cream! That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw your post. It's similar to RumChata...but so much better. Absolutely delicious. You can find it in Falmouth at one of the shops by the ship. Also available are Appleton Estate rums and not the kind you can find here in the States. There are various aged varieties...more like sipping rums rather than for mixed drinks. I don't remember the name of the store, but the one we went to they were more than happy to provide us with free samples of the different rums and rum cream.

So we all know that, when going abroad, there are always new beers and hooch to try that aren't available stateside. I'm taking a Western Carib cruise in a little over a month. What do I /need/ to try?

I have never tried it, but other CC members have mentioned Rhum Barbancourt is a must-try. It made in Haiti, but may be available elsewhere.

I have never tried it, but other CC members have mentioned Rhum Barbancourt is a must-try. It made in Haiti, but may be available elsewhere.

Barbancourt is amazing. I don't like rum, and I like that stuff. Can find it stateside, but I've only seen it in fl. It's rum made from sugar cane rather than molasses, and made in the style of cognac. *****: 5 stars!

Edited by fitsea

Does anyone know if any of the bars on the ships have sloe gin? I used to love a sloe gin fizz, but when I ask, most of the younger bartenders at home, have no idea what it is.

Given that they make Manhattans with Makers, even though they have rye on the shelf, and look at you like an idiot when you order a dry martini (Which vodka would you like? No, I said a martini. Gin, please.), I would be flabbergasted if they had sloe gin.

Now, if you want a fruit flavored rum drink, or popcorn flavored vodka. you're golden.

</old guy rant> :)