Biggest Waste of Time on a Cruise Ship...

Wilda

Waiting for everyone to show up for the obligatory safety muster. It is the worst when it is hot and we are on an outside deck standing in tight, crowded lines. It was even worse when we had to wear the life vests.

Now at least we often can sit comfortably inside and not wear life vests. Still, I wish folks could show up in a more timely manner and not keep so many people waiting.

I know the muster is a vital part of the cruise experience. But I wish some folks would take it more seriously and arrive on time, so we can all get on with the fun parts of the cruise.

I am in total agreement with you on this! Our last cruise was ridiculous; there were so many people that showed up late and we have to stand there waiting until they all show up and check in. RUDE and INCONSIDERATE. I always wonder if they're like that all the time.

I have cruised all around Europe, Northeastern coast of US/Canada, Floridian and Caribbean Waters, Panamacanal, West coast Mexico/US/Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand.

I´ve got to say the most boring area on the list is the Caribbean. Those Islands just give nothing to me and I´m not the Shopping and/or beach guy.

I've also been fortunate to have traveled to all of the regions listed, except Australia. You're correct. The Caribbean pales in comparison to some places in other regions of the world. However, to say that all the countries in the Caribbean are the same is not a very accurate assessment. It would be the same as saying that all countries in Europe are the same.

I was born and raised in the Caribbean, so I had the opportunity to learn and explore this region in depth long before I started exploring other regions of the world. IMHO, it's far from being boring.

If attitude is everything, then don't let a thread like this get you down!

Interesting comments about muster. A few months back I read a long thread with ideas about if you should go early to muster or right as the alarms sound. Many people who sounded like they knew what they were talking about agreed that you shouldn't go to the drill until AFTER the alarms sound, because that is how it would be in an emergency. So if you get there early you shouldn't grump about those who make their way to muster after the alarms, because they are actually doing it right.

I totally agree that you should go after the alarm sounds - but when everyone has been waiting more than 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour after the alarm sounds for those "few" that either don't think they are required to come to a "mandatory" drill or must like the attention of a member of the crew going to get them, would have gone down with the ship!!😉

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, I've never found anything I've done on a ship a waste of time. ;)

Good attitude!

I don't like the muster drill, but I think it is for our own safety. I don't like the idea of not being a little bit prepared. I also listen to the flight safety talks. I am not so arrogant that I think I know it all. The repetiton may just mean I do something quicker, and it saves me or someone I can help.

I don't think waiting for the food to arrive at breaky or lunch is a waste, I think that chatting to the company at your table is one of the nice things about cruising.

The only thing that is a waste of time is thinking you will not put on weight this cruise. Not going to happen, so even contemplating it is a waste of time!

They biggest waste would be the port and Shopping talks and the art auctions, but then I won´t attend anything that is a waste of time for me.:cool:

I certainly agree here, I have never had a Problem with waiting for latecomers at the muster drill. I grab my vest (if it´s a ship I have to bring it) when the Alarm sounds and make my way down. Now probably many will look at me as one of those latecomers when I get there and they have been there for 20 minutes already. Not my problem though. The drill does not want me to be there 15 minutes ahead of time. They want me to head down when the Alarm sounds like in a real emergency. I´m not late - you are early by choice.:p

I agrre with you! How early do people get to their stations? We always leave as soon as the alarm starts & we get there pretty quickly but there is always a crowd of people there who look very unhappy!

Sherri

Waiting for everyone to show up for the obligatory safety muster. It is the worst when it is hot and we are on an outside deck standing in tight, crowded lines. It was even worse when we had to wear the life vests.

Now at least we often can sit comfortably inside and not wear life vests. Still, I wish folks could show up in a more timely manner and not keep so many people waiting.

I know the muster is a vital part of the cruise experience. But I wish some folks would take it more seriously and arrive on time, so we can all get on with the fun parts of the cruise.

I 1000% AGREE it makes me crazy that so many people just take there time wonder in when they want.

While I usually love your posts, I totally disagree with this one. I have cruised 11 times in the Caribbean and the ports are quite different. One of my favorites, Dominica, is completely unspoiled with dense rain forests, amazing waterfalls, natural hot springs and black sand beaches. St. Thomas is a tourist mecca, and I could see why it could easily be compared with other highly developed touristy ports like Cozumel. But grab the Red Hook ferry in St. Thomas, and you end up on St. John, which is 75 percent protected park land. Have been there twice, but still haven't visited the famous Trunk Bay (I know...it's gorgeous), because I like to venture off the beaten path. St. Kitts is undoubtedly the most photogenic island I've visited. There ares still islands in the Southern Caribbean I've never visited and I'm looking forward to seeing. I'll enjoy the ship on my sea day. All the other days, I want to get off the ship. Even if I've visited an island before, I was only there for ONE day. There are PLENTY of things there left to be experienced. Part of what I love about cruising is waking up somewhere different every morning.

I'm glad you enjoy staying onboard when the ship is empty, but I disagree that it is a waste of time of us to get off the ship and explore the port.

I was "pushing a button" to see who would respond! :D However, I do enjoy having the ship mostly to myself!

They biggest waste would be the port and Shopping talks and the art auctions, but then I won´t attend anything that is a waste of time for me.:cool:

I certainly agree here, I have never had a Problem with waiting for latecomers at the muster drill. I grab my vest (if it´s a ship I have to bring it) when the Alarm sounds and make my way down. Now probably many will look at me as one of those latecomers when I get there and they have been there for 20 minutes already. Not my problem though. The drill does not want me to be there 15 minutes ahead of time. They want me to head down when the Alarm sounds like in a real emergency. I´m not late - you are early by choice.:p

I plan to listen to the instructions on my next cruise because it seems to me they announce that in X minutes the captain will give the emergency signal followed by safety instructions. I've never gone to the station before the announcement is made that the drill will be starting shortly. Depending on the ship it is a few minutes or many minutes before the signal is given. It is usually shortly after that the instructions on life preservers and other information is provided.

I don't think anyone on the ship is actually timing anyone or anything on how quickly we arrive at a pre announced point for a pre announced drill.

IMHO, I think they want us to get there so they can hurry up and get it over with so they can get back to work.

Edited by temple1

I agrre with you! How early do people get to their stations? We always leave as soon as the alarm starts & we get there pretty quickly but there is always a crowd of people there who look very unhappy!

Sherri

The daily newsletter states the time, so why wait for the alarm to sound? We get there 5-10 minutes early.

We want to get on with our cruise not wait for stragglers.

My waste of time would be the toilet lids in the public areas. Why do they have them? There is no room in there to really move - so it isn't like you need to set anything on them. So now lets have everyone touch the lids to lift them and put them down (so you can flush) - ICK. In the cabins, the lids make sense. In the public areas - no, and just a germ fest. I considered maybe for sloshing in rough seas - but I'm not sure that would really help since they don't appear water tight.

They have to have lids since the system is pressurized! :p The "matter and water would be sprayed into the air as the system tried to do its job then the would shut down without the correct pressurization! :(

I would hate to think of what the area would look like if the lid was left up when everyone flushed! :eek:

Not that the muster drill is a waste of time because some may have never experienced it. It's just the people who refuse to cooperate for 5 minutes and think rules don't apply to them.

.. as the sweat is pouring down your back from standing inches away from another human who may have just traveled 10,000 miles over the course of 2 days without showering once... ;)

I am posting here because this is the only way it appears that I can post. I never see the "New Thread" button anywhere. I've checked help and all I can find is that I'm supposed to look for a "New Thread" button in the upper right corner.......I am signed in, the site greets me with my user name, invites me to post......................BUT HOW?????????. Sorry for the interruption.

I am posting here because this is the only way it appears that I can post. I never see the "New Thread" button anywhere. I've checked help and all I can find is that I'm supposed to look for a "New Thread" button in the upper right corner.......I am signed in, the site greets me with my user name, invites me to post......................BUT HOW?????????. Sorry for the interruption.

Do you click on COMMUNITY then the pull down FORUMS?

That will get you access to all the posts and threads.

Unbelievable. I guess there really are people who cruise "only for the ship":rolleyes:

It depends on if we've been to that port before or not and who we're with. Nassau I've been to a number of times so if we're on the cruise that takes us there then we generally stay on the ship.

Sherri

Too late the exercise has already started by the time the alarm goes off.

They have to have lids since the system is pressurized! :p The "matter and water would be sprayed into the air as the system tried to do its job then the would shut down without the correct pressurization! :(

I would hate to think of what the area would look like if the lid was left up when everyone flushed! :eek:

It's a vacuum system which is very different to a pressurized system(do they even exist).

Edited by insidecabin

#1 ART AUCTIONS.. The cruise lines must get a HUGE cut.

#2 BINGO There they get another big cut.

I'm not saying cruise lines shouldn't make money but art & bingo on a ship do not work for me. Not even the free champagne.

I think you are 100% wrong on this one. The toilets are NOT sealed when they flush. It is possible to reach the button and flush with the the lid still open. Just believe me on this. It has been tried. And if your scenario were correct, why isn't there any nasty stuff on the lid AFTER you flush? Stuff doesn't go flying around out of the bowl.

Now lets not talk about the toilets any more.....please!

Edited by Boozebabe