Biggest Waste of Time on a Cruise Ship...

Wilda

Wow, what a downer thread. So negative. :( We try not to let anything bother us on a cruise. We are blessed to be able to cruise so we treasure every moment, even the little annoying ones. ;) Attitude is everything.

If attitude is everything, then don't let a thread like this get you down!

Interesting comments about muster. A few months back I read a long thread with ideas about if you should go early to muster or right as the alarms sound. Many people who sounded like they knew what they were talking about agreed that you shouldn't go to the drill until AFTER the alarms sound, because that is how it would be in an emergency. So if you get there early you shouldn't grump about those who make their way to muster after the alarms, because they are actually doing it right.

Weli im glad you don't like the MDR for bkfast/lunch

One less couple I have to wait for getting a 2 top:D

We somehow always end up eating breakfast at the buffet (or oversleeping it altogether :)) But I love breakfast dishes that you can only get at the MDR (e.g. Eggs Benedict) so on our next cruise I'll have to waste some time waiting to be served breakfast!

Waiting for everyone to show up for the obligatory safety muster. It is the worst when it is hot and we are on an outside deck standing in tight, crowded lines. It was even worse when we had to wear the life vests.

Now at least we often can sit comfortably inside and not wear life vests. Still, I wish folks could show up in a more timely manner and not keep so many people waiting.

I know the muster is a vital part of the cruise experience. But I wish some folks would take it more seriously and arrive on time, so we can all get on with the fun parts of the cruise.

Absolutely agree!

The same hands that flushed, touched the knob to get out of the stall. Can we make the doors automatic? ;)

Gina

redesign the layout so the rest rooms don't need doors at all.

Some princess ships are already like this in some areas the doors can be kept open.

perhaps go one stage further and have the cleanup area in open public space so every one can see the dirty tramps that don't wash their hands.

Biggest time water on a cruise?

Nothing. I don't do anything that I think is a time waster, otherwise I wouldn't do it!

I'm blessed to have the means to take vacations. Sure there are things I would rather not do (using the bathroom, showering, sleeping) but they are necessities of life so we deal. Little things don't get to me, because I can easily remember of plenty of times where I wasn't sure I would be able to feed myself on a daily basis, put gas in the car, afford the utility bill or pay the rent.

Lining up to get off the ship at a Caribbean port, where one is just like another, and you have seen them all before, while there is an empty deck on the ship with a lounge chair of your choice to sit in whilst reading a good book and getting a Sun tan!

Unbelievable. I guess there really are people who cruise "only for the ship":rolleyes:

Wow, what a downer thread. So negative. :( We try not to let anything bother us on a cruise. We are blessed to be able to cruise so we treasure every moment, even the little annoying ones. ;) Attitude is everything.

If you look at the original post it is a reflection of how we tried something (breakfast in the MDR), realized it is not our cup of tea, and decided we would not do that again since there are many other wonderful options. For us, spending that much time on a meal is a waste of our time.

Never said it bothered us or annoyed us, not sure where you got that. Attitude is everything, including how we interpret things:)

They biggest waste would be the port and Shopping talks and the art auctions, but then I won´t attend anything that is a waste of time for me.:cool:

If attitude is everything, then don't let a thread like this get you down!

Interesting comments about muster. A few months back I read a long thread with ideas about if you should go early to muster or right as the alarms sound. Many people who sounded like they knew what they were talking about agreed that you shouldn't go to the drill until AFTER the alarms sound, because that is how it would be in an emergency. So if you get there early you shouldn't grump about those who make their way to muster after the alarms, because they are actually doing it right.

I certainly agree here, I have never had a Problem with waiting for latecomers at the muster drill. I grab my vest (if it´s a ship I have to bring it) when the Alarm sounds and make my way down. Now probably many will look at me as one of those latecomers when I get there and they have been there for 20 minutes already. Not my problem though. The drill does not want me to be there 15 minutes ahead of time. They want me to head down when the Alarm sounds like in a real emergency. I´m not late - you are early by choice.:p

Lining up to get off the ship at a Caribbean port, where one is just like another, and you have seen them all before, while there is an empty deck on the ship with a lounge chair of your choice to sit in whilst reading a good book and getting a Sun tan!

They are all the same? I beg to differ , unless you're the kind of cruiser that sticks to the cookie-cutter, chain stores and bars, and who doesn't do anything more than going to the beach.

The Caribbean is a VAST region with many cultures, backgrounds and attractions. You can sample Spanish, British, French, and Dutch in one week. At one island you could be walking down 500 year old cobblestoned streets to a Spanish castle, and at the next you could be sipping tea at a mini Trafalgar Square. You could be hiking to a waterfall in a lush, green, mountainous rainforest one day and you could be at a barren, desert like, flat island the next. You could be trekking to Mayan Ruins one day and you could be Scuba diving at the second largest reef in the world the next day. As a seasoned cruiser you should know that.

And about sitting at a lounge chair all day to get a sun tan: after dealing with skin cancer 7 years ago in my early 30's, partly due to my own ignorance, I will pass. :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

They are all the same? I beg to differ , unless you're the kind of cruiser that sticks to the cookie-cutter, chain stores and bars, and who doesn't do anything more than going to the beach.

The Caribbean is a VAST region with many cultures, backgrounds and attractions. You can sample Spanish, British, French, and Dutch in one week. At one island you could be walking down 500 year old cobblestoned streets to a Spanish castle, and at the next you could be sipping tea at a mini Trafalgar Square. You could be hiking to a waterfall in a lush, green, mountainous rainforest one day and you could be at a barren, desert like, flat island the next. You could be trekking to Mayan Ruins one day and you could be Scuba diving at the second largest reef in the world the next day. As a seasoned cruiser you should know that.

And about sitting at a lounge chair all day to get a sun tan: after dealing with skin cancer 7 years ago in my early 30's, partly due to my own ignorance, I will pass. :o

Fortunately we all have different preferences. I have cruised all around Europe, Northeastern coast of US/Canada, Floridian and Caribbean Waters, Panamacanal, West coast Mexico/US/Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand.

I´ve got to say the most boring area on the list is the Caribbean. Those Islands just give nothing to me and I´m not the Shopping and/or beach guy.

I like you. :) I don't lay in the sun for the same reason. Live and learn.

Not that I don't like those who don't get off the ship because they've "been here before", which seems to be about 90% of the frequent cruisers lately. But my response to them is, "you've been on this ship before, haven't you?" That gets some of them thinking.

We could say, seen one ship, seen them all. But there's always something different to do off the ship in port even when all the ships repeat the same menus, entertainers, and theme nights over and over again.

I have my favorite restaurants at home. I have my favorites in port. I have my favorites on the ships. I like to go to all of them more than once. For that matter, I have my favorite ships and go on them over and over, too. But I always get off the ship. I haven't stayed on board even once in port on any cruise ever. Rain or shine, hot or cold, we're off the ship. You never know what will happen unless you get off and do something.

But I'm preaching to the choir in your case. :)

Gina

Waiting for everyone to show up for the obligatory safety muster. It is the worst when it is hot and we are on an outside deck standing in tight, crowded lines. It was even worse when we had to wear the life vests.

Now at least we often can sit comfortably inside and not wear life vests. Still, I wish folks could show up in a more timely manner and not keep so many people waiting.

I know the muster is a vital part of the cruise experience. But I wish some folks would take it more seriously and arrive on time, so we can all get on with the fun parts of the cruise.

You nailed it! Even worse, those of us who go directly to the stations instead of hiding in our bathrooms, are stuck at the back of the line packed in between too many people!! :rolleyes:

While I usually love your posts, I totally disagree with this one. I have cruised 11 times in the Caribbean and the ports are quite different. One of my favorites, Dominica, is completely unspoiled with dense rain forests, amazing waterfalls, natural hot springs and black sand beaches. St. Thomas is a tourist mecca, and I could see why it could easily be compared with other highly developed touristy ports like Cozumel. But grab the Red Hook ferry in St. Thomas, and you end up on St. John, which is 75 percent protected park land. Have been there twice, but still haven't visited the famous Trunk Bay (I know...it's gorgeous), because I like to venture off the beaten path. St. Kitts is undoubtedly the most photogenic island I've visited. There ares still islands in the Southern Caribbean I've never visited and I'm looking forward to seeing. I'll enjoy the ship on my sea day. All the other days, I want to get off the ship. Even if I've visited an island before, I was only there for ONE day. There are PLENTY of things there left to be experienced. Part of what I love about cruising is waking up somewhere different every morning.

I'm glad you enjoy staying onboard when the ship is empty, but I disagree that it is a waste of time of us to get off the ship and explore the port.

Being on a cruise with a big family and spending time searching for them rather than using some sort of device to let each other know where you are. :D

Having to deal with the crappy kids clubs hours on RCI and the fact that there are no pagers. And shame on them for making it fun for my youngest daughter :D Since there are no paging systems to pick up your kids when they are ready we spend way too much time constantly going up there and checking on her. See above. This time she gets a phone. :)

I actually found MDR breakfast to be fast but maybe that was because we weren't constantly going up to the buffet being tempted to keep eating because it was just there and I love breakfast food. We were pretty in and out at breakfast. Lunch was okay if we weren't doing anything else. Dinner was downright painful with our last waiter. 2 hours every night. I wouldn't even go on the next trip if my dad didn't enjoy the whole family being together at dinner so much.

Debbie

1. Internet

2. Many of the "shows"

3. Waiting in line @ Guest Service (even though some of the best entertainment can be seen when customers DEMAND things)

4. Art Auctions and Shopping Talks-40 cruises and I have never been to one.

5. Waiting to see the Maitre D Embarkation Day to confirm seating in the MDR can take up time.

Edited by harry0