Tipping on HAL Excursions

Dismomx5

We have booked the HAL Best of Juneau and Best of Skagway excursions. I am assuming that we tip the driver and the tour director, but the question is....what would be an appropriate amount (2 adults)?

Also doing Island Wings Misty Fjords float plane tour in Ketchikan. I know it is owner operated, but, again, assuming a tip would be in order. Suggestions?

I understand that the final decision is mine, and mine alone. ;) I'd just like some guidance as to the "norm", if there is such a thing.

Thanks for your help! I'm making sure that I have the appropriate cash on me, since any shopping will be added to the credit card. :D

It would depend on the length of the tour, and how good the tour guide was. Some tours are only 2-3 hours, and I have been on tours that were 12-13 hours (not Alaska).

I generally give anywhere between $5-$15 total for me alone.

A couple of dollars for the bus driver and say $5.00 per person for the tour guide.

Keith

Just did HAL land/sea tour, plus some additional days, and booked six tours through HAL, plus one private tour. This is exactly how we tipped, and a little more on two guides who were exceptional, plus the guide on The Mt. Mckinley Explorer, who was truly outstanding - each rail car has a guide/narrator. Enjoy your trip. :)

Thank you, everyone. This is exactly the information that I needed and wanted to hear. :) It give me a good sense of what is reasonable. To tangerinebunny, how many were in your group for Misty Fjords?

We have booked the HAL Best of Juneau and Best of Skagway excursions. I am assuming that we tip the driver and the tour director, but the question is....what would be an appropriate amount (2 adults)?

Also doing Island Wings Misty Fjords float plane tour in Ketchikan. I know it is owner operated, but, again, assuming a tip would be in order. Suggestions?

I understand that the final decision is mine, and mine alone. ;) I'd just like some guidance as to the "norm", if there is such a thing.

Thanks for your help! I'm making sure that I have the appropriate cash on me, since any shopping will be added to the credit card. :D

On Pg 2 of this board, there is a similar thread about tipping on HAL's land/Sea tours..

Shrimpboat, posted the link to a HAL PDF file for their 2014 land/sea guests, which should be a help to you...I downloaded the entire PDF file for future reference.. Believe they now publish a new file every year..

On Pg. 9 of this file it specifically discusses guidelines for gratutities for tour guides & drivers..

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets.../Tour_Tips.pdf

Edited by serendipity1499

Nah, no tipping required! ;)

I only tip on a cruise line excursion if they have gone above and beyond. Last week in Canada we did private excursions and I tipped about 10 - 15% of the excursion price.

That's we normally do as well.

LuLu