Trays at the buffet

PoppyandNana

I am so disappointed X eliminated trays in the buffet. It is such a hassle to try and manage a couple of plates and a beverage, particularly when you are alone. How ridiculous would I look if I brought a tray from home? They are only a couple of bucks at the dollar store. Figure they don't weigh much and lay flat in the suitcase.

Who knows, might be the start of something big.

I've read of others doing this. And read where some ask and can get one provided from a staff member in the area.

Summit is testing a new buffet style, and have implemented small trays again, I expect it to roll out fleet wide perhaps end of the year. So if you will be on Summit, no need to bring your own.

For me though on normal ships, I just make 2 trips rather than grab 2 whole plates of food at a time. Ill put my toast order in, go drop off my eggs and coffee then when I get back the toast is done and back to my table to eat...

Edited by cle-guy

Here's a really outrageous idea.... Why not just serve yourself a modest single plate of food plus a beverage (pretty easy to handle with two hands)? And then,if you're still hungry, you can return for a second helping. This idea may help prevent overeating and the extra exercise may further help the calorie differential.

I usually get my drink, put it on a table with my napkin and silverware and then go get my salad. After I'm done with my salad, I go back for my main meal. Don't have to juggle anything and get a little exercise going back and forth LOL!

I am so disappointed X eliminated trays in the buffet. It is such a hassle to try and manage a couple of plates and a beverage, particularly when you are alone. How ridiculous would I look if I brought a tray from home? They are only a couple of bucks at the dollar store. Figure they don't weigh much and lay flat in the suitcase.

Who knows, might be the start of something big.

Last year at about this time I read on here that Summit was no longer providing trays for use in the Oceanview Cafe, and some Cruise Critic members were commenting that they planned to take trays of their own to use, so I ended up packing two in our suitcase for our use last August. Ended up when we got on board that trays were most certainly still available, so not sure where that rumor had gotten started. But if Celebrity doesn't reverse their current new policy and go back to business as usual before our October cruise this fall, I am thinking about packing my own trays again. Since our cabin is on the totally opposite end of the ship, I'll have to see how I'll actually feel about trucking them through the hallways all the way to the Oceanview, but at least I'll have them there in case I do decide to use them!

Edited by Lysingers
spelling

I don't understand the big deal. Why does anyone need to carry two plates and a beverage at the same time? It's like you think there's a limit on how many times you can go up to a food station.

My husband is disabled and I get his food on a plate, carry it to the table, get a beverage, and then get my food on one plate. If either of us wants more, I just grab another plate and get the food, with no need for a tray. Heck, I've seen more people mishandle trays loaded with plates, and see them drop everything on the floor.

Edited by cruisead

Eat in the dining room, where you are served! No searching for stuff....like butter, jam, syrup, etc....no carrying plates and glasses and silverware....it's all on the table, waiting for you!

Try doing that in port when the dining room is closed for lunch. I think the dining room should be open for every meal.

Here's a really outrageous idea.... Why not just serve yourself a modest single plate of food plus a beverage (pretty easy to handle with two hands)? And then,if you're still hungry, you can return for a second helping. This idea may help prevent overeating and the extra exercise may further help the calorie differential.

So....I can't have my toast on a separate plate from my over easy eggs? Forget getting a cup of coffee at the same time. If I return for a second helping the staff has cleaned the table and someone else is sitting there.

So....I can't have my toast on a separate plate from my over easy eggs? Forget getting a cup of coffee at the same time. If I return for a second helping the staff has cleaned the table and someone else is sitting there.

I have to say this has NEVER happened to me. And I almost always travel solo and do breakfast alone.

As I noted, I always place my food, then go get the second plate - especially eggs and toast seperate since the toast takes time to toast. If the coffee cup is full, silverware not yet used, why would staff clear the table. if you leave a messy dissolved table, then maybe staff will think you are done...

They are not THAT eager to clear tables.

If you are on the Summit, a friend of mine just took a tour on her and said they had trays and had no problem getting food.

Interesting. We just off the Constellation last week. They did not have trays nor did the Silhouette last year. I seem to remember a few years ago Princess was using extra large plates that could serve as a tray.

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to share something that many folks may not have to deal with. I usually sail with 3 relatives, all 80+, who find it very difficult to navigate the S-Class Buffet area. At peak times, you have folks going in all directions, and many treat lunch as if it's the Grand Prix :). As a result, I'm always getting my loved ones all of their food, which results in countless visits to the buffet, and a very unenjoyable meal for me, mostly due to the lack of trays. While we always dine at the MDR for Lunch on Sea Days, that's not an option on port days. I so wish Celebrity would consider re-opening the MDR again on port days, but I digress...

I certainly understand Celebrity's decision, and there was a time that I was quite displeased with it. I've adapted, but my point is - I wish that trays were available upon request. In our case, it would be a huge help. Perhaps the smaller buffet portions will solve what I've mentioned above, but I hope Celebrity would consider such situations, especially when they see folks are struggling and could use a hand, and/or having more crew members available for assistance.

Just my .02 cents.

What if you want orange juice and a glass of water at breakfast as well as coffee?

You can get the coffee first and have cold coffee with your hot eggs and toast, or have cold eggs and toast with hot coffee.

Forget about sitting down to a relaxing meal and interesting conversations with your table mates when you constantly need to take turns jumping up in the middle of the meal, dashing back and forth.

What some people do now is order early morning room service and then save the trays to take to the buffet.

Others now avoid the chaotic buffet area for meals entirely, and will only pop up there when they want to get waffles, or ice cream or a slice of pizza.

Edited by fleckle

At peak times, you have folks going in all directions, and many treat lunch as if it's the Grand Prix :).

And not one I'd have personally considered... Points well taken...

Morning, noon, and sometimes night, I've often regarded the buffet as being somewhat akin to The Last Supper for some guests!

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to share something that many folks may not have to deal with. I usually sail with 3 relatives, all 80+, who find it very difficult to navigate the S-Class Buffet area. At peak times, you have folks going in all directions, and many treat lunch as if it's the Grand Prix :). As a result, I'm always getting my loved ones all of their food, which results in countless visits to the buffet, and a very unenjoyable meal for me, mostly due to the lack of trays. While we always dine at the MDR for Lunch on Sea Days, that's not an option on port days. I so wish Celebrity would consider re-opening the MDR again on port days, but I digress...

I certainly understand Celebrity's decision, and there was a time that I was quite displeased with it. I've adapted, but my point is - I wish that trays were available upon request. In our case, it would be a huge help. Perhaps the smaller buffet portions will solve what I've mentioned above, but I hope Celebrity would consider such situations, especially when they see folks are struggling and could use a hand, and/or having more crew members available for assistance.

Just my .02 cents.

Host Andy has raised some very good points.

Trays should be available at the buffet for those who want them.

For those who say they don't need them, that's fine.

Nobody who does not want a tray is ever forced to use one. ;)

Some of the people here must have never had my experience...which has happened at least on 3 occasions.

I set my flatware with napkin down, along with my juice and coffee. I then go back to get my breakfast. When I get back, my place has been cleared and there are others sitting there.

When I reverse it, putting my breakfast down and then going to get coffee and juice, (leaving my eggs to get cold) the same thing has happened.

If you are not occupying a seat, any food at the table is considered fair game to get cleared.

Host Andy has raised some very good points.

Trays should be available at the buffet for those who want them.

For those who say they don't need them, that's fine.

Nobody who does not want a tray is ever forced to use one. ;)

Makes perfect sense to me. Folks worry too much about what others are doing. If someone wasn't to use a tray, so what?

On our recent Summit cruise trays were not always easily located but could be found with a bit of effort. The thing I noticed is there was no rail to rest or slide the tray along.

That made the whole buffet less congested I think.

Some of the people here must have never had my experience...which has happened at least on 3 occasions.

I set my flatware with napkin down, along with my juice and coffee. I then go back to get my breakfast. When I get back, my place has been cleared and there are others sitting there.

When I reverse it, putting my breakfast down and then going to get coffee and juice, (leaving my eggs to get cold) the same thing has happened.

If you are not occupying a seat, any food at the table is considered fair game to get cleared.

If you point it out to a server, that you are sitting there and just getting something else, they will be more than happy to watch your table for you. I've done it and it works.

On our recent Summit cruise trays were not always easily located but could be found with a bit of effort. The thing I noticed is there was no rail to rest or slide the tray along.

That made the whole buffet less congested I think.

Unless they recently (within a month) Summit (and all M class I believe) DO have the rails, S class ships do not however, which is probably some part of why trays have become scarce. There was even a bit of discussion about how if the current Summit buffet concept rolls out to the fleet, how will the trays work on the S class buffet lines.

For all those cruisers who complain about gaining weight. The new buffet is for you. No trays means you walk more. It takes many trips to gather what you want. You will eat less. If you are really lucky, you will be able to collect your whole meal quickly and get it to a table before it gets cold. If you get something, eat it, and return for another items, leave something on the table that indicates you will return. If not, your table may get cleared and you will find other people sitting there when you return. Thinking about bringing a placard that states..." table is being used by ME".

Order room service for breakfast. Besides not having to wait in line you will get a tray. Keep the tray to use in the buffet if you feel that you need more. D

Sail on 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

As others have said, you can order anything from Room Service and then keep the tray for use later. I assume this is what I've seen people do because I've seen people in the elevators with trays where they are taking food back to their cabin from the Buffet. Or perhaps they brought their own trays. To each their own. If you need/want a tray you can do so.

I am careful to only move food or ask it to be taken away when it is clearly from someone who has left. I mean, a few tablespoons of melting ice cream...a couple crumbs of cake.