Flying into Seattle, cruising from Vancouver

jjtt

Hubby and I are thinking of an Alaska cruise next summer. We have cruised the Caribbean but not Alaska. We were thinking of flying into Seattle and wondering how far and how to get to Vancouver for the cruise. This cruise destination will be new for us and we have to start somewhere. I know we will have more questions as time goes by. :o So how far is it from Seattle to Vancouver and the best way of getting there?

We flew. After looking at all the options this one fit our needs the best. Rental car one way was over $400 and about 4 hours through traffic and the border. Didn't think we wanted to go the bus route and logistics for the train didn't work for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hubby and I are thinking of an Alaska cruise next summer. We have cruised the Caribbean but not Alaska. We were thinking of flying into Seattle and wondering how far and how to get to Vancouver for the cruise. This cruise destination will be new for us and we have to start somewhere. I know we will have more questions as time goes by. :o So how far is it from Seattle to Vancouver and the best way of getting there?[/quote

Vancouver is about 165 miles from Seattle. In May..we were going on a 10 day cruise..so we took Amtrak from Seattle....departed @6:50pm..arrived Vancouver 10:50pm. Don't know the cost..DW is retired Amtrak employee so we ride for free. You might check Amtrak.com for fare.

If you have the time...spend 2-3 days in Vancouver..its a beautiful city.

Hope you enjoy Alaska ... its an amazing place!!

There are many options for the transfer. I have driven many times, and never, has it been "$400"/day?? It is more than a round trip rental. I'm not renting this year, but last year it was $120/day. I have used Amtrak several times, AAA discounts also available. I have used Quick Shuttle, which is "door to door" service, between Canada Place and the airport. I used Greyhound last year, and will be taking them again tomorrow. Bolt bus was more. rate was $52 for 2, I only booked the cruise about 1.5 weeks ago, so couldn't take advantage of the real low rates. :)

All these option work well, with the addition of usually, cruise contracted buses, another "door to door" service.

I too fretted over the logistics of getting from Seattle to Vancouver for our cruise last month, but everything worked out fine. By going to Seattle we saved a considerable amount of money:

• Airfare was cheaper than going to Vancouver
  • We could fly Southwest so had no luggage fees
  • We each had almost $100 credit with Southwest from a price drop on a previous flight

So...even though there was time and costs involved with going to Seattle it was still a big savings for us. Here is what we did and the costs. I keep track of EXACTLY what we spend so these are actual costs including any taxes. Although we did a lot of tipping, those amounts are not listed below.

• Flight into Seattle arrived in the evening so we booked a night at the Super 8 Seatac. $60.87
  • Took free shuttle from airport to Super 8
  • Free breakfast next morning that started at 5 a.m.
  • Had a car pick us up (and our huge amount of luggage) and take us to the Amtrak station downtown. I reserved the car online through Eastside For Hire. The company charges based on zipcodes. I found out there are several different zipcodes around the airport so the cost will vary a few dollars based on the location of your hotel. URL="http://www.eastsideforhire.com/"]http://www.eastsideforhire.com/[/url] $33.00
  • Took the 7:40 a.m. train to Vancouver. $29 each, $58.00 total. There are two trains per day going from Seattle to Vancouver...one in the morning and one in the evening. I purchased the tickets about 3 months prior. If you wait too long, the "cheap" tickets will be gone.
  • Got a taxi outside the train station in Vancouver to go to our hotel (Best Western Plus Downtown Vancouver) $12.28 Canadian

So...this was approximately $165 extra we spent but we saved around $400. The train trip up the coastline was peaceful and beautiful...we considered it an "excursion" rather than just a form of transportation.

I have posted a review with lots of photos from our trip...including a couple of days that we spent in Vancouver prior to the cruise. You might be able to get some additional ideas to help in your planning. Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2055691

Good luck!! :)

I too fretted over the logistics of getting from Seattle to Vancouver for our cruise last month, but everything worked out fine. By going to Seattle we saved a considerable amount of money:

• Airfare was cheaper than going to Vancouver
  • We could fly Southwest so had no luggage fees
  • We each had almost $100 credit with Southwest from a price drop on a previous flight

So...even though there was time and costs involved with going to Seattle it was still a big savings for us. Here is what we did and the costs. I keep track of EXACTLY what we spend so these are actual costs including any taxes. Although we did a lot of tipping, those amounts are not listed below.

• Flight into Seattle arrived in the evening so we booked a night at the Super 8 Seatac. $60.87
  • Took free shuttle from airport to Super 8
  • Free breakfast next morning that started at 5 a.m.
  • Had a car pick us up (and our huge amount of luggage) and take us to the Amtrak station downtown. I reserved the car online through Eastside For Hire. The company charges based on zipcodes. I found out there are several different zipcodes around the airport so the cost will vary a few dollars based on the location of your hotel. URL="http://www.eastsideforhire.com/"]http://www.eastsideforhire.com/[/url] $33.00
  • Took the 7:40 a.m. train to Vancouver. $29 each, $58.00 total. There are two trains per day going from Seattle to Vancouver...one in the morning and one in the evening. I purchased the tickets about 3 months prior. If you wait too long, the "cheap" tickets will be gone.
  • Got a taxi outside the train station in Vancouver to go to our hotel (Best Western Plus Downtown Vancouver) $12.28 Canadian

So...this was approximately $165 extra we spent but we saved around $400. The train trip up the coastline was peaceful and beautiful...we considered it an "excursion" rather than just a form of transportation.

I have posted a review with lots of photos from our trip...including a couple of days that we spent in Vancouver prior to the cruise. You might be able to get some additional ideas to help in your planning. Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2055691

Good luck!! :)

Thank you for all the great information. A couple question. So for the train, did you have to check your carry ons too? Or was there room to bring those on the train with you.

So once in Vancouver's train station, how was going through customs? Was it quick and easy?

So coming home, did you just do the reverse? Was there any trouble with getting to Amtrak in time for your train back down to Seattle? Then did you stay another night in Seattle?

if you can afford the extra travel time, and the savings is significant then it's a great thing to do. for us, the difference was $300 and even if it only cost $100 to get all 3 of us to Vancouver, a savings of $200 was not worth it to me. but for some people the savings can be significant. btw, there is another recent thread on this subject: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2060549&highlight=yvr

...if you can afford the extra travel time...

That's a big issue. Yes, you can save money on airfare by flying into Seattle. However, you will almost certainly need to spend an extra hotel night either in Seattle or Vancouver, prior to sailing, and if you're returning to Vancouver after the cruise, the timing is such that you'll probably require another hotel night then, since there's not enough time to get from the Vancouver piers back down to Seattle in time for flights to anywhere east of, say, Denver, that day. (The time difference to the East/Midwest is such that flights leave the west coast no later than noon or 1 PM in order not to arrive late at night.)

So just be sure that the additional costs for two hotel nights, plus transportation between Seattle and Vancouver, doesn't add up to be more than you're saving in plane fare.

There are several transportation options between Seattle and Vancouver. In addition to cost, look carefully at the schedule of each; not just the departure time but how long it takes and how many stops it makes. Also look at the drop off location .... in some cases you'll need to take a taxi from pier to bus station or airport to train station.

Options include: Amtrak Cascades train, Amtrak Cascades bus, Quick Coach, Bolt Bus, cruiseline transfer, one-way rental car, Alaska Airlines.

Depending on your flight times and overall cost, it can be a real money saver to use Seatac, or, it might be too inconvenient for a savings of only $100. You really have to do the math and factor in all the considerations.

p.s. with an Alaska Airlines charge card you can get a companion ticket for $100. Depending on where you live this could be a significant savings.

Pricing aside, do consider taking the cruise line's transfer bus from Sea-tac to the ship. It'll mean you'll have to go back to the airport and deal with some hurry-up-and-wait, but once you check in at the transfer desk, you're guaranteed to make the ship. We took the Princess bus on Labor Day weekend in '10, and had a >1 hour delay at the border, which put us at the cruise terminal around 4:10pm. They held the ship and delayed the safety briefing until the last of the ship-sponsored inbound folks arrived. It was very nice to stop worrying at that point.

Thank you for all the great information. A couple question. So for the train, did you have to check your carry ons too? Or was there room to bring those on the train with you.

So once in Vancouver's train station, how was going through customs? Was it quick and easy?

So coming home, did you just do the reverse? Was there any trouble with getting to Amtrak in time for your train back down to Seattle? Then did you stay another night in Seattle?

Cheryl,

Amtrak allows 2 carry on and 2 checked per person. Can't exceed 50lbs. each. The carry ons are in addition to a purse, laptop, backpack,etc.

We went thru customs..took 2 minutes max.

Our cruise departed Vancouver..ended in Seattle. Amtrak departs Vancouver @9:00am & 11:30am daily.

I decided that arriving at the departure city the night before was the thing to do. So, flew into SeaTac in the morning, took the commuter train to King Street - was this the International district stop? I'll have to check (yes). Schlepped bags across the street and checked them in at Amtrak (one checked bag and airline size carry-on, from which I removed a backpack). Went up and had lunch at Pike's Place Market, found the monorail from Westlake station, and took that to Seattle Center for some iconic sights. Took the monorail/lightrail back to the train station, got seat assignments, and boarded shortly thereafter.

The train in Vancouver was dismissed starting at the back of the train forward, and although the two customs guys were doing their best, it took half an hour after we were let off the train. And there were no taxis, so they had to be called in. We got into Vancouver fifteen to twenty minutes early and it was after midnight checking into the hotel.

Even knowing that aggrivation, I would probably have done the same thing, but probably planned bathroom breaks better.

I just want to pass on a reminder to anyone that has a past DUI. My cousin tried to cross into Canada two weeks ago and was denied entry. He was convicted of a DUI in 1968..and Canada considers it a felony...so no entry!!

Our carry-ons easily fit into the overhead compartments...the space was a little larger than on a plane. Also the seats are much more roomy than on a plane. There was an electrical outlet next to each seat plus free wi-fi.

As far as customs...we filled out our forms on the train and then when we reached Vancouver, one car at a time was dismissed to go through customs. We were on car #7 so by the time we got off, there was a bit of a line. I think we maybe waited 20 minutes or so to get inside the station.

Our cruise was a one-way going north so we did not return to Seattle.

Last September we took the morning Amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver, and found it to be very relaxing. We booked their business class, so had nice wide seats (business class has three seats across -- two were on the left side of the car as we headed north and one on the right side). As others have mentioned we had ample room to store our carryon bags. And since when the train arrives in Vancouver passengers disembark car by car, starting in the rear, we didn't wait long before our car was released (we were in the second to the last car) and we were quickly through customs.

On the day which we traveled to Vancouver there was a generous number of taxis waiting for the train so we had no wait at all for a taxi.

Thank you all for your responses!! Boy, this sounds so complicated, I am a little nervous about this... :eek: Forgot to mention that we are also thinking about doing a B2B, Vancouver to Seward, then Seward to Vancouver, and then flying home (Pa.) from Seattle.

Whichever way you choose to do it, there are pros and cons.

The train ride is scenic, but the least convenient. It has very limited availability; only 2 trains per day.

There is the nuisance of requiring additional transportation to get ourselves and our luggage over to the train station at one end, and then from the train station to our hotel or cruise ship on the other end.

Quick Shuttle has the advantage of direct point-to-point transfer.

It picks you up right there at Seatac airport and drops you off at your hotel or the cruise ship pier in Vancouver.

But it is not "quick" at all. The last time we used it, the bus ran late and the trip took 6 hours. The seats, while not bad, are not the most comfortable.

We had a long delay at the border as they made us remove all our belongings from the bus and haul everything into he customs building, where they only looked at our passports. Then we had to drag everything back out to the bus again and wait for all the luggage to be reloaded.

Meanwhile, we noticed that the automobiles were going right through at the border crossing. The people did not even need to get out of their cars or open their trunks, but only stopped briefly to present their passports through the window.

So seeing that made us kind of sorry that we had not rented a car instead of taking the bus, although once we hit the heavy Vancouver traffic, we were glad to be on the bus, not needing to do the driving.

Rental cars are also very convenient, available right there at Seatac airport. They give you the freedom to travel at your own pace, stopping along the way when and where you wish, choosing your own route, with the convenience of taking your passengers and all the luggage point-to-point, dropping them off at your hotel or cruise port in Vancouver.

But the driver should be alert, not always easy if all of you are jet lagged after a long flight. Yes, I realize that there are a lot of jet-lagged passengers driving those rental cars.

Hubby and I are thinking of an Alaska cruise next summer. We have cruised the Caribbean but not Alaska. We were thinking of flying into Seattle and wondering how far and how to get to Vancouver for the cruise. This cruise destination will be new for us and we have to start somewhere. I know we will have more questions as time goes by. :o So how far is it from Seattle to Vancouver and the best way of getting there?

There were 6 of us who did this and loved what we did. Flew into Seattle the day before, toured the Pike Market Area, nice hotel that night, got up early the next morning and took Amtrak to Vancouver, which was wonderful. The scenery is spectacular and we arrived in plenty of time to board our ship. Thumbs up for this option.

Cole

Another vote for Amtrak Cascades from Seattle to Vancouver. We just did this 2 weeks ago. We flew into Seattle, spent one night in Seattle, visited Pike Place Market, Space Needle, Chihully Garden & Glass, etc. Then we took the 6:50 PM Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver, arriving at 10:50PM the night before our cruise departure. Then took a brief city tour of Vancouver the morning of our departure. All very easy to plan and book. Advantage of Amtrak is low cost(we paid $29 pp saver fare booked well in advance), roomy, relaxing, had dinner on the train, no border stop, cleared customs in Vancouver quickly(depends a bit on what car you are in).

Edited by Dbld777

A few years back we did a round trip Seattle cruise, and at the end took Quick Shuttle to Vancouver to catch the train across Canada.

Last year we did a one way cruise from Vancouver on Princess and used their motorcoach service from SEATAC. We flew in the previous evening, stayed at an airport hotel (Best Western Exec?) with free shuttle service and just took the shuttle back to the airport the next morning. Bags were checked on to ship at SEATAC. Very easy and surprisingly economical.

. Bags were checked on to ship at SEATAC. Very easy and surprisingly economical.

My opinion only, I NEVER do this, even when available. Thinking alternative- there is no way I want my bags "checked in anywhere" other than at the cruise doc. I want to verify that they made it to that point. In this case, IF your bags, happen to go "missing", and it does happen, you have a much further area that has to be tracked to locate them. I KNOW, where and when I last saw my bags, which is my priority. there is a far greater chance of them being quickly located where it is only one other area- dock.

Hi all! Looks like everyone - well most - cruise on Princess, we were thinking of Royal Caribbean. What is the difference, if any?? Thanks again for all the wonderful suggestions.

AryMay - Reading your trip and photo report! All I can say is WOW!!! I keep going back to read more, now at Juneau part 2... What detail you give!!! :D

My opinion only, I NEVER do this, even when available. Thinking alternative- there is no way I want my bags "checked in anywhere" other than at the cruise doc. I want to verify that they made it to that point. In this case, IF your bags, happen to go "missing", and it does happen, you have a much further area that has to be tracked to locate them. I KNOW, where and when I last saw my bags, which is my priority. there is a far greater chance of them being quickly located where it is only one other area- dock.

I think it would be pretty hard to screw up. It's not like checking bags for a flight with the potential for the bag to be on one of a bzillion planes. Each bus is going to the same cruise terminal, and each bag to the same ship. I thought it was a great service and would not hesitate to do it again. I also think if it were problematic it would likely be reported here.

One rule we learned years ago, as frequent travelers, is whenever possible to try to minimize the number of times that your bags will get transferred when they are out of your sight.

Friends used to love using the cruise direct baggage transfer service and raved about it, where you put your bags out in the hall the night before disembarkation and don't see them again until they show up at baggage claim at your home airport.

They loved doing that until the trip where their bags didn't show up at all. They never found out where the bags were lost, if they even made it off the ship, or if they were lost by the baggage handlers at the pier, or if the bags ever got to the airport or loaded on an airplane. Just too many places with the possibility for something to go wrong.

We also always want to check our bags in ourselves, whether at airports or cruise ports or train stations, and decline any direct transfer offers that involve the bags being transferred out of our sight.

Edited by fleckle