Princess charging $10 to use microphone for Meet & Greet

AJ28

I have never seen a microphone used at an M&G. They have been very casual even when the ships captain and officers have attended. I don't see any need for a microphone and it would be a complete turn off if someone tried to run the meet and greet as a lecture.
If you have 100-300 or even more at the M&G, with everyone talking at once, there's no way you could get or keep everyone's attention. It doesn't have to be a "lecture" although I've been to some M&Gs when the organizer controlled the entire get together for an hour, leaving no time to socialize. Usually, it's used to call to order, introduce the officers, make announcements if activities have been planned, etc.

From what I have seen, if you make a formal request, Princess at least says they will charge you, just like any other group (which is fair).

If the CD happens to bring one, or there is one there or in the area, it may be provided at no charge.

A good CD who is aware of the M+G will also be aware of the size and be proactive...

I have run a number of Meet and Greets on Princess. There has been a charge each time. However, unless I tell someone about it, nobody else knows. The $10 charge goes on my bill. I think that it is a real example of nickel and diming, and it gets me angry each time. But, with over 100 people talking, it is very hard for those who speak to be heard. So I pay my $10 for a mike that should be gratis.

Hmm, we've had M&G on Ruby with nearly 100 without a Mic with no problem. But $10 seems reasonable in the big scheme of things and if the CD or others at M&G were smart they would waive the fee too.

We just used one that was in Skywalkers on my last cruise. It was just there and we just used it.
Hmmm, not sure if they should charge you $10 retroactively, or pay you the "very reasonable" $30-$100 per hour technician's fee mentioned above. :D

As noted, Princess' fees are pretty reasonable for meeting equipment. And they either have to charge everyone who requests one, or no one. It would not be practical for them to exempt CC groups for example, because then any group could claim it.

This is one I DON'T consider nickel and diming.

I reckon there could be 80 attending, judging by the list. The organiser says that she has attended previous meets and (she and others have) been unable to hear properly when mike not used, so she's going to request one. Thanks for all your replies. $10 isn't a lot, especially as Princess are laying on refreshments too.

I've organised M&G's on Diamond, Sea and Dawn in the last couple of years and never been charged for the mic. As has been said, with a large number of people it's really good if the Captain and/or other senior crew attend and talk to the group.

I ran a Meet & Greet on our Hawaii cruise last year. We had approximately 150+ on our thread and approximately 90% showed up. The CD staff did set up a PA system. We were not charged.

I reckon there could be 80 attending, judging by the list. The organiser says that she has attended previous meets and (she and others have) been unable to hear properly when mike not used, so she's going to request one. Thanks for all your replies. $10 isn't a lot, especially as Princess are laying on refreshments too.

This does not usually occur.

This does not usually occur.

I agree.

Only once (when the asst CD was a friend) did Princess furnish anything which were only nuts and snack mix. But then he went and got champagne on top of that.

Mike:)

Princess doesn't provide food at M&Gs unless there are the typical bowls of bar snacks set out for the cash bar. CD Richard Joseph is a strong supporter of CC and provided coffee and sweet rolls for a M&G on the Island but that is the only time in 8 M&Gs that there was any free food or drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Princess doesn't provide food at M&Gs unless there are the typical bowls of bar snacks set out for the cash bar. CD Richard Joseph is a strong supporter of CC and provided coffee and sweet rolls for a M&G on the Island but that is the only time in 8 M&Gs that there was any free food or drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

CD John Lawrence and his wife provided champagne on our Baltic cruise on the Star Princess. The only problem was that almost none of us showed up because it was just in the patter, and either not noticed or not believed. (I was one of the few who did show up). Also, our very small roll call did have a breakfast together that was set up by someone on the roll call with almost everyone on it showing up.

Personally I think charging for the use of a microphone ridiculous. What a way to show support for Cruise Critic guests. I find the charge offensive.

Why should Princess show support for Cruise Critic guests over any other passengers? We're not out selling their product door-to-door, we don't perform any sort of labour for them onboard, and we spend a great deal of time here discussing ways to pay cheaper fares, maximize onboard credit, avoid pricey ship-sponsored excursions, and carry on our own liquor. We're lucky that Princess's attitude toward us is only benign neglect; a smart corporation would be charging us extra.

We had a M&G on Holland's Noordam 2 years ago that set the standard. HAL provided fruit, veggies, finger sandwiches and Mimosas for free. The hotel director and several key staff attended. On the Crown last year, Princess provided nothing, however, the captain came and took questions from the group. He was delightful!

Why should Princess show support for Cruise Critic guests over any other passengers?

It seems perfectly reasonable for Princess to have a list of

things one might purchase for a private function...

Open bar per person per hour

Snacks

Plates of Shrimp

Cake

DJ

etc.

Nothing wrong with microphone / PA being on the list.

Exactly. Princess has NO relationship to Cruise Critic, nor should they be required to. As I repeat many times, CC regulars are a VERY SMALL part of the cruising public.

I can't count the number of times people on John Heald's blog yell at him for not providing ridiculous extras for a meet and greet because 'We're Cruise Critic!" and I am sure if Princess had a similar individual we would see the same.

Why should Princess show support for Cruise Critic guests over any other passengers? We're not out selling their product door-to-door, we don't perform any sort of labour for them onboard, and we spend a great deal of time here discussing ways to pay cheaper fares, maximize onboard credit, avoid pricey ship-sponsored excursions, and carry on our own liquor. We're lucky that Princess's attitude toward us is only benign neglect; a smart corporation would be charging us extra.