Princess charging $10 to use microphone for Meet & Greet

AJ28

Is this usual?

I've not heard it happening before on this or other lines. We are off on 12 July Emerald and our M&G organiser has been told it's a $10 charge. As we have a lot of people on our list, we will probably use the microphone.

I think my first words out the microphone would be "Princess has charged us $10 to use this mic, is this a sign of further things to come, room service!?"

They might turn it off but they should get the message :D

I've never been to a meet and greet (large and small) where a mic was used.

Same here...was more of a meet and mingle. Even when the CD showed up he just talked in the middle of the group without a/v equipment

Is this usual?
It's like any other private meeting onboard that passengers organize at their own initiative. If you need equipment, refreshments, staff, etc., Princess will provide them for a fee. For some groups, at their discretion, some things may be offered at no cost.

I found this old thread with a interesting price list. Suggest to your M&G organizer that your group could also order an ice carving for $80 (2006 price)! On the other hand, pens and paper and a cassette player would be free. :D

Is this usual?

I've not heard it happening before on this or other lines. We are off on 12 July Emerald and our M&G organiser has been told it's a $10 charge. As we have a lot of people on our list, we will probably use the microphone.

If you were at a comparable land based resort the price would be much higher. Most wireless mics go for @ $25.00 per day/event to over $100.00 in big cities. Many resort hotels require a technician be on standby also, with costs ranging from $30-$100 per hour, with the clock starting 1/2 hour before your scheduled start until 1/2 until you finish the event.

The price is very reasonable when you consider what has to be done to get that mic to you ready to go. A tech has to get it out of storage, check the frequency, battery condition if it is a rechargeable, or put in a fresh battery, test the system, and be available if there is a problem. After the event, the tech then has to put it away. There are also the backside costs of reserving the mic and tech and billing to the proper party. That also assumes that the tech had nothing else to be doing at that time, highly unlikely aboard a cruise ship.

I've been in AV for over 30 years and you'd be surprised at the number of people that want to rent a mic and have no idea that a PA system is required to make it work.

Princess has been charging for $10 for mic's for many years – no change in Princess policy here. I generally don't ask for one, but have noted that if the CD shows up, s/he will normally bring one for free. Normally they are not needed anyway - even for very large turn-outs of 200 or more, most CC folks are considerate and listen when others are speaking - especially when invited Officers / Staff are speaking.

I have never seen a microphone used at an M&G. They have been very casual even when the ships captain and officers have attended. I don't see any need for a microphone and it would be a complete turn off if someone tried to run the meet and greet as a lecture.

If you were at a comparable land based resort the price would be much higher. Most wireless mics go for @ $25.00 per day/event to over $100.00 in big cities. Many resort hotels require a technician be on standby also, with costs ranging from $30-$100 per hour, with the clock starting 1/2 hour before your scheduled start until 1/2 until you finish the event.

The price is very reasonable when you consider what has to be done to get that mic to you ready to go. A tech has to get it out of storage, check the frequency, battery condition if it is a rechargeable, or put in a fresh battery, test the system, and be available if there is a problem. After the event, the tech then has to put it away. There are also the backside costs of reserving the mic and tech and billing to the proper party. That also assumes that the tech had nothing else to be doing at that time, highly unlikely aboard a cruise ship.

I've been in AV for over 30 years and you'd be surprised at the number of people that want to rent a mic and have no idea that a PA system is required to make it work.

A cruise ship is not land based, there are no hourly employees and the topic is related to the host, CRUISING. It isn't reasonable to compare cruise fees to land based fees

We were told that there would be a $10 charge for MIC at our 2 M&G’s on our Transatlantic last May on the Emerald. However, when we got there, the mike was set up and they never charged us. We had over 100 at both and had 3 of the staff show up at each one, including Capt, CD, and hotel manager. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Edited by Grammyluvs

I was charged a $10 fee for the microphone for a meet and greet last December on the Diamond. Turns out we didn't need it that day since so few people turned up. But I have been to meet and greets with 200+ people (Royal maiden transatlantic), and with all the conversations going on, introductions would have been yelled out without a microphone. How large is your group?

I've been in AV for over 30 years and you'd be surprised at the number of

people that want to rent a mic and have no idea that a PA system is required to make it work.

Yes, I agree. I used provide AV equipment at meetings. There is lots that can go wrong. The users turn it off, then say it isn't working. Someone has to go and diagnose the problem, and then turn it back on. Someone has to go get the mic, after the event. It is amazing how easily the microphones can disappear, and wireless are even easier to lose.

I well understand the fee. Ten dollars does not not really cover it.

Ten dollars does not not really cover it.
I think it's more just a nominal fee to recognize that you're using Princess's stuff and staff for your own private thing. I doubt that anyone gets paid $10 extra because some group requested a microphone.

We have had a microphone at our M&G's a few times. We have had big meets (100+) so the mic really worked well especially when the officers talked.

Nobody was intimidated and it was not run like a lecture :rolleyes: .

We were never charged.

We have had a microphone at our M&G's a few times. We have had big meets (100+) so the mic really worked well especially when the officers talked.

We were never charged.

I'll bet yours was a Mister Microphone.:rolleyes:

Mike:)

I think it's more just a nominal fee to recognize that you're using Princess's stuff and staff for your own private thing. I doubt that anyone gets paid $10 extra because some group requested a microphone.

Yes, that is right. Definitely. Whenever I provided AV equipment at work, neither I nor the staff received the money. But sometimes those funds could be used for maintenance and repair of the equipment. Just a simple cable from Radio Shack costs money. If the cable has a short, it has to be replaced.

This is just an example. Not a debate about procedures.

We were never charged.

Wonderful! This is good news. Thanks for sharing something nice and positive.

Vey good.

Microphones were used for several M&Gs on the Emerald Princess last winter. There was never a charge that I was aware of (and DH set one up and was never told of a charge).

While I understand the labor required with getting a microphone set up in (usually) Skywalkers, and would expect to pay at least $10 if I was holding a business meeting on the ship, you'd think that for a group who met on a forum like CC that promotes cruising, Princess would waive the fee (which they apparently often are).

M&G are usually in the nightclub, so the mic is already there to plug into system. Just need emplyee to retreive it from storage. There should be no charge...its that simple. My husband is a DJ, so I do know how easy accessable it is.

On the Ruby last October there was no charge for the mic, I hosted and the bar tender handed me the mic and asked what I wanted to drink. I opened the M&G and introduced the Officers and CD who attended and let the CD take it over. All went well for our 80+ folks up in Skywalkers.