3 people = Mini-Suite? Traveling with a child

SSM0120

I tried to search, but I think the difference between child/children/kid threw me off.

We are looking into a 2016 Princess cruise and want to book early for a good cabin. We will be bringing our daughter who will be 3. From looking around on the princess site this morning, it looks like you can do one of the few balconies that will fit 3 or a mini-suite and above for a pull-out.

I'm not opposed to a mini-suite, the issue is my parents will probably sail with us and we like to be pretty close cabin wise, plus they will probably do some babysitting for us on the trip. It's not a deal breaker though.

Any seasoned cruisers have tips/tricks? I see that only part of 2016 is even out, so I know we have some time.

It all depends on how you and your partner wish to sleep. A mini suite will ensure u have a queen bed and daughter sleeps on sofa. There are no sofas in any lower grade cabins so the configuration COULD BE don't quote me more seasoned cruisers... Single beds and a pull down bed above

We are sailing on the Star Princess with the same configuration of people! What we did was book mid aft a premium balcony on the Caribe deck(10) that has a 3 person balcony cabin right next to it. The only drawback to some is that in the 3 person balcony the beds are in a twin position; queen is not possible. This was the nicest location and best pricing for two rooms close to each other that we could configure. Have a great cruise.

Pooh

Are you considering a Caribbean cruise? The Royal and Regal have deluxe balconies with a love seat than sleeps one person. There are deluxe balconies next to mini-suites on several decks. An example are cabins B512 and B514 on Baja deck (11). You could open up the door in the balcony divider between the cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

To add to my fellow poster from Longmont. There are cabins that sleep 3 and there are cabins that sleep 4 you would need one that sleeps 4 IMO.

We took grand daughter at 13 to Alaska in a mini for 3. Best time we ever had because of GD. However, still gets crowded with 3. My opinion would be to book two cabins outside and inside very close to each other. Wont cost much if any more.:D

If you can afford it, the mini suite would give you the most space, have a bathtub for your daughter, and would provide you with a sofa for lounging while your daughter plays. When I was growing up, we always had inside staterooms, and my parents and I were fine. When DH and I have children, I would hope for a balcony or mini suite but would be ok with an inside or oceanview if needed.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

If you can afford a mini-suite, they are great with kids. It's so nice to have that extra room and the tub. We've done insides with kids but after our last mini it would be hard to go back.

Connecting cabins on Princess are few and far between, but connecting balconies are more common. That might be nice to have if it is an option with grandparents.

Edited by giselleacttwo

Regardless of what you do remember the cruise is capacity controlled and there are only so many triples/quads available. When the cruise reaches capacity for total berthsno more 3rd or 4th passengers can be added even though there may be some of those cabins available. So book what you want as soon as possible. ;)

So book what you want as soon as possible. ;)

Whenever you do book, be sure to have both cabins marked "will not accept upgrade."

If you do not so this, there is the chance one of the cabins can be changed (upgraded) to a location far from the other.

Yes, I agree with the mini-suite recommendation. Book two next to another, and you can have the cabin steward unlock the balcony divider.

In addition to marking the bookings no upgrade, make sure the travel agent also links the two bookings. Just one extra piece of insurance against getting reassigned.

As stated by another, the Regal & Royal, if one of these is you ship, have deluxe balcony cabins with a convertible sofa. These two ships also have mini suites which are nearby standard and deluxe balcony cabins. The Island and Coral also have minis that are adjacent to standard balcony cabins. On Grand Class ships, Grand, Star, Golden, Caribbean, Ruby, Crown, Emerald, the minis on deck 8 aft are near outside window cabins and two standard aft balcony cabins. Aft minis on deck 9 are also close to aft two balcony cabins. Minis that are near the stairs and elevators can offer your parents easier access if their cabin is on another deck also near the stairs & elevator. Standard balcony cabins that can handle a third person either have a roll-a-way which takes up most of the floor space, or an overhead bunk that the room steward will pull down from the ceiling each night. The other beds need to be in the twin position otherwise it is very difficult to get in and out. If we haven't mentioned your ship let us know. There are some others that service the Australian/Asian Markets.

Since location of both cabins is an important selection to you, assure your T.A links the two bookings together and has them marked 'no upgrade.'

Hope this information is useful.

My husband and I usually get an oceanview room for the two of us. We are taking our 6 mo old with us to Alaska next month and sprung for the mini suite. With all the crap that comes with a baby we figured we would need the extra space. Also having the balcony will be nice for when we don't really want to take her into crowds on the top deck.

I tried to search, but I think the difference between child/children/kid threw me off.

We are looking into a 2016 Princess cruise and want to book early for a good cabin. We will be bringing our daughter who will be 3. From looking around on the princess site this morning, it looks like you can do one of the few balconies that will fit 3 or a mini-suite and above for a pull-out.

I'm not opposed to a mini-suite, the issue is my parents will probably sail with us and we like to be pretty close cabin wise, plus they will probably do some babysitting for us on the trip. It's not a deal breaker though.

Any seasoned cruisers have tips/tricks? I see that only part of 2016 is even out, so I know we have some time.

We have been cruising with our daughter since she was six months of age, she is now ten, book your mini you will be fine.

Have your steward make the bed up on the couch as it is, instead of pulling the bed out, big space saver.

Minis are our cabin of choice the extra sitting room makes all the difference for us.

John, Laura and Gaby

Seattle, Wa.

Go Hawks