It's a Cruise Ship.......

sail7seas

So true, I agree completely. Some people see the glass as half full and some see it as half empty. I'm a half-full person and try to avoid the sour pusses. :D

You see them everywhere, not just on cruise ships.

Technically the glass is always full. It may be half full of water and half full of air, but it's always full!:D

Good post, Judy:)

EXACTLY!!

I would love to meet you on one of those Dam ships one day, Sail. You are my kind of people!!

:) The pleasure would be mine.

Technically the glass is always full. It may be half full of water and half full of air, but it's always full!:D

Thanks. :) I knew you'd get it..

I'm happy that, so far, most have taken my post in the way I intended. I admit to having hesitated a bit before posting. :rolleyes:

Thank you!

I am a CC Voyeur who is taking my first cruise ever on Saturday on the Westerdam. There is so much great information on this site and the Roll Call, but lately so much negativity.

It scares us Newbies!

SAIL ... I personally LOVE your soapbox!! Thanks:)

I was just thinking last night ... what do I love most about sailing ... and besides all the obvious ones .............

A WHOLE WEEK WITHOUT HAVING TO CARRY A PURSE !!!!!

Just one of the little things ... but a joy none-the-less :D

I've been noticing lately how serious so many of our discussions seem to get here.

When was the last time we had a side splitting, LOL, ROFL, thread where we remembered this whole CC Forum and our discussions revolve around the fact we all love Cruise Ships.

We lose sight of the fun, the laughter, the excess, the freedom from our everyday responsibilities.......... for Pete's Sake, IT'S A CRUISE SHIP!!!

Laugh a little too loud, drink a little too much, dance more than you ever do, have FUN! Stop analyzing, for at least a brief period, is the food hot enough? cold enough? did the stewards smile enough? did I wait too long for my drink? did someone have more mariner's stars than me? is someone in a better cabin? a worse cabin? was the tour exactly 4 hours or did it end at 3 hours and 50 minutes? You get the point.

Go, have fun, enjoy and hopefully we can all learn to relax a little more and just enjoy being on a beautiful cruise ship with people knocking themselves out to give us the best cruise possible. LET them. BE receptive to their efforts but we have to do our part.

We have to remember, it's a CRUISE SHIP and its reason for existing is for us to have fun and enjoy.

Off my soapbox. :o

You are right Sail. I believe the "small stuff" that goes wrong in on a cruise is part of life. Life is not perfect on land or at sea. I have been on many cruises and not very many of them have been perfect. Heck, my toast it burnt at breakfast, well I can't tell you how many times that I have burnt toast too. My bed is not made right, why there have been times I did make my bed at home!

I find that the staff want our cruise to be more perfect than I do.

I will certainly bring this attitude with me when we leave in 10 days!

I have to admit, though, it does help knowing in advance that I may have to deal with a few personal annoyances (yes...smoke and underdressed people in the MDR), but I won't sweat the small stuff and will enjoy that fabulous CRUISE SHIP.

I'm one who looks forward to sailing each year and I'm a glass half-full type of person. We get one trip a year (I'm still working - teaching) and we head to Alaska since we are so close to Seattle. DH has some health challenges and I have to shoulder more of his care, the driving, etc. To get on a ship is pure heaven. The keys go in the safe and don't come out until disembarkation day! I'm pampered and have some relaxing time. The ship is our destination and the ports are an added bonus.

We just got off the 14-day on the Amsterdam (for the 3rd time on this itinerary) and we had a ball. We did a lot of walking/scootering in ports and explored neighborhoods to see how the locals live. DH says he'd like to live in Sitka and I love Homer. Either way, we had a great time and came back refreshed and relaxed.

Love this thread! Thank you for starting it!!

Karen

Well "bringing humor" would just be highlighting natural ongoings so no problems there. :)

We'll be in Amsterdam a few days, Rotterdam, etc. I'm sure between our flight over on United and me trying to ride a bicycle while waving my American flag it'll be interesting.

Have a great cruise and a wonderful time:D sounds marvelous:D

Sail,

I agree with you too.

Life is what you make of it and I plan to enjoy the rest of mine. My DH is a "cruiseaholic" now and loves HAL. He wouldn't go anywhere with me until I introduced him to HAL. Now he wants to know where we are going to next.:)

SPPUNK,

Are you going to Norway on August 2nd???? Hope to meet you on our cruise if you are.

We have the opinion that you have to work really hard to not enjoy a cruise. For my part, anytime I can sit & have my food brought to me, (and good food, too), and not have to do dishes, and have my living area cleaned every day, and see amazing views from the ship.....what's not to like??

I'll be trying to do a live report from our Rotterdam trip to Norway - I'll make sure to add humor to that because thankfully that's my best part of vacations. :)

Should I do a live report on our pre and post cruise adventures too? I would aim to bring levity and laughter and enjoyment to the lovely HAL board posters!

Oh, Chris. You MUST do a "Live from---" report while on the Norway cruise in Sept. I am already laughing, just thinking about the fun of reading it each day. I wish we were going to be with y'all, but since we can't be, reading your blog will be the next best thing. And, YES, bring on the humor, and the "overheard comments", and the wonderful daily names for the ship!

(For anyone who wants to check out a fun, informative report on Canada/Ne, see sppunk's "Live from the Eurodam, Sept 22, 2013)

Sail, thank you for starting this thread! I knew there had to be others out there who wanted a more positive, exciting CC.

Thank you Sail. I totally agree. We are real rookies with this cruising thing and CC has helped us so much.

There haven't been many light hearted threads of late but .......

I really enjoyed Bumpers Riff Raff thread recently and I am still waiting for the end of POA1's Club Sandwich saga.

You are so right..

What's not to like about a cruise, they cook & clean, & pamper us..

We are so fortunate that we can do this in the Sunset of our lives..

My favorite Irish Blessing say's it all my CC Friends -

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face;

the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,

may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

I've been noticing lately how serious so many of our discussions seem to get here.

When was the last time we had a side splitting, LOL, ROFL, thread where we remembered this whole CC Forum and our discussions revolve around the fact we all love Cruise Ships.

We lose sight of the fun, the laughter, the excess, the freedom from our everyday responsibilities.......... for Pete's Sake, IT'S A CRUISE SHIP!!!

Laugh a little too loud, drink a little too much, dance more than you ever do, have FUN! Stop analyzing, for at least a brief period, is the food hot enough? cold enough? did the stewards smile enough? did I wait too long for my drink? did someone have more mariner's stars than me? is someone in a better cabin? a worse cabin? was the tour exactly 4 hours or did it end at 3 hours and 50 minutes? You get the point.

Go, have fun, enjoy and hopefully we can all learn to relax a little more and just enjoy being on a beautiful cruise ship with people knocking themselves out to give us the best cruise possible. LET them. BE receptive to their efforts but we have to do our part.

We have to remember, it's a CRUISE SHIP and its reason for existing is for us to have fun and enjoy.

Off my soapbox. :o

Of course to keep things in perspective it WAS the OP that "led the charge" when it came to nearly demanding updates on the Westerdam and whether or not it had its sidebar, even if all of the exact same things were available through slightly different than "the norm" means. So long as the OP is also capable of taking their own advice, it's a point well made.

Betty.......

You just took my breath away.

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face;

the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,

may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Edward Bennet Wiiiliams spoke at my DH's graduation and this was the Irish Blessing he included in his commencement address. My DH loved it so much he had printed, framed and it hung in his office from the day he opened it. I was looking at it this week and remembering when DH and I heard first heard it.

(we are not Irish. :) )

It is meaningful to me to read it here.

Of course to keep things in perspective it WAS the OP that "led the charge" when it came to nearly demanding updates on the Westerdam and whether or not it had its sidebar, even if all of the exact same things were available through slightly different than "the norm" means. So long as the OP is also capable of taking their own advice, it's a point well made.

And WHAT is wrong with that?

When a guest is accustomed to a certain expectation and it is not met, they should speak up. Time and again Captains and Hotel Managers (Directors) and Executive Chefs and Chief Housekeepers (whatever they are now called) have said to me and my late DH if there is something we think is lacking, please let them know. Please don't remain silent, suffer and stew about it...... give them a chance to correct it.

That is what I did and will continue to do.

I thank for giving me the chance to state my view point. I wasn't aware it was disturbing to some for anyone to express when they think something needs improvement.

When 14 of 15 ships do something one way, it is totally reasonable to expect the 15th ship to do that same......ESPECIALLY given it always did the same until one day it didn't and no believable explanation was ever offered. It was far more than 'slightly different'.

Not to mention this is an awful like a 'personal attack'. It is an inappropriate post IMO

Edited by sail7seas

Dear Optimist, Pessimist, and Realist, While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Sincerely, The Opportunist

Sail, the fact that you are so relieved that you didn't get slammed illustrates just how touchy things have become/been for a year. The problem with LOL'ing and continually adding to a humorous thread is that eventually you will get the wind knocked out of you and then spend numerous posts clarifying what you said and apologizing. I think I've posted twice in six months (cue three people to go copy and paste to prove it was four times). It's just not fun.

Cruising, however? FUN. Always good. Can't wait. Bl:eek::eek:dy Carnival Fantasy and you would think it was the QM2. 39 long days and I will be off for 12 days at sea :).