Help! Should we cancel??

cojorn

My Husband and I have are booked with another couple for the Paris to Normandy Viking Cruise in September. We just received bad news that the other couple has to cancel due to heart problems. For us to cancel will cost us $4900 (yes we can file an insurance claim but it's iffy), but we're trying to decide do we want to go by ourselves? Will it be awkward at dinner, etc. not being with people we know? We've done other cruises but the river cruise seems more intimate and we were thinking it would be more enjoyable with another couple but now here we are needing to make a decision in the next couple of days. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Don't cancel. You will meet people you like. Be adventurous.

The cruise is smaller than ocean cruisers, but it still carries around 200 people. You don't have to sit at the same table every night.

Oh my!!!! Why would you cancel.... Put your best foot forward and have a wonderful adventure! You will meet great fellow passengers and see sights you will never forget.

You won't regret a decision to go but I am certain you will regret the one to stay home!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sorry that your friends cannot travel, but I am here to say that my husband and I have been on 3 river cruises in the last one year plus and we have met such wonderful and interesting people from all over the world. On our last cruise, there were only 116 on the ship. We enjoyed sitting with different people at meals and traveling on excursions with them. I am sure this trip has probably been in the works for dome time. Go, go, go

I agree with the other posts saying you should go - my DH and I have been on 2 river cruises and thoroughly enjoyed each one. Most people are very friendly and enjoy chatting to other cruisers. We are not gregarious people but do enjoy meeting other interesting people and we have found that most people are friendly and only to eager to talk and listen.:)

I agree with everyone else. There is no reason to cancel if you are both able to travel. Go and have an amazing time!

We have traveled both with others and as a couple on river cruises and had wonderful trips in all cases.

We enjoy our couple time and tables for 2 at dinner most nights when traveling with just the 2 of us. We socialize when we wish and for us, that is perfect!

my wife and i had similar concerns before our first river cruise last March….we really like our time together and prefer a table for two for dinner which you usually won't find on a river cruise. But thats just us...

we enjoy our privacy and don't seek out the "so whats your name and where are you from?" people.

We found plenty of places to be by ourselves and at dinner we met some really nice folks….you are not locked into any group or table….

the entire experience was so good that 45 minutes after arriving back home from the cruise we booked another one for next year...

Just as important, in my opinion…..If you don't go you will be missing Paris….. Not visiting Paris at least once in your life deprives you of incredible memories……if you have been there you probably already know what i mean….Also no matter where you are from, everyone should have the opportunity to visit Normandy. It is a very powerful, sacred place.

I whole heartedly agree with everyone we have been on two river cruises and in a week will be leaving on our third, Paris to Normondy and back. Just the two of us we have met some very interesting people, very friendly people and very interesting people. You can join in or do your own thing and no one worries.

Enjoy your cruise going to Normondy especially this year is something not to be missed and to see Paris from the Seine priceless.

Happy cruising I hope we have helped you make up your minds.

my wife and i had similar concerns before our first river cruise last March….we really like our time together and prefer a table for two for dinner which you usually won't find on a river cruise. But thats just us...

we enjoy our privacy and don't seek out the "so whats your name and where are you from?" people.

We found plenty of places to be by ourselves and at dinner we met some really nice folks….you are not locked into any group or table….

We have been fortunate with AMA in finding tables for 2. In April we had one every night we had dinner in the main dining room and only at breakfast and lunch did we occasionally have to share. We do prefer to choose whether or not to have dinner with others and most of the time, a table for 2 is our preference.

Go on the cruise. We seldom travel with people we know, just us two. We always meet some great people. It doesn't take long to figure out who are good meal companions and it is also easy to not share meals with those (usually few) people that just aren't "our kind of people."

We have also found that a good portion of the passengers are traveling "just them."

I have gone on many trips by myself if I couldn't find someone to travel with.

I have been on four Viking river cruises with friends but if they would have cancelled I would have gone alone.

Go and have a wonderful cruise. People are very friendly on river cruises.

Don't cancel! DH & I went solo on our first river cruise last summer and we LOVED it!

We also travel regularly with friends but it was so nice to have the freedom to do exactly what we wanted to do without consulting travel companions.

Nap in the afternoon? Bloody Mary's on the sundeck? Stay up late? go to bed early? eat off the ship in town? stay on the ship all day? it was heaven only being concerned with each other.

We ate some meals with others, maybe 35% but the other 65% we were at a table for 2.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again-JMHO.

Don't cancel! We travel all the time as a couple and we leave today (in fact in about 10 minutes... LOL) for the first time WITH people we know! We actually met these folks on a previous river cruise!! Go and enjoy yourselves. Au devoir (running out the door, suitcase in hand....)

Hello pbnjrockette,

have a great time!

Cojorn,

don't cancel. I am sure you will love meeting like-minded people on your cruise. They could turn into life-long friends. And if you do not find any just enjoy exchanging your experiences of the day over dinner with the folks at your table.

notamermaid

This is repetitive, I know, but DON'T CANCEL!!!!!!! We just came back from our 6th river cruise last Sunday. We've gone by ourselves and we've met people that we sometimes travel with. River cruisers are generally, IMHO, more laid back than big ship cruisers and because it's a smaller crowd you have much greater chances of meeting people. Some you will like and some you won't, that's life, but without assigned seating at dinner, you don't have to sit with anyone you don't get along with. Just be open to diversity and don't talk about religion or politics.:D

Go for it!! We've done river and ocean cruises, with and without friends, and have thoroughly enjoyed them all. Although we're not exactly extroverts (well, maybe DW is), it's never been a problem mixing with and meeting new people. On that note, we always seem to choose cruises on which there are lots of Canadians, and they are without exception the nicest and friendliest people. Probably something to do getting away away from the snow and cold in winter:)

So glad to hear that you're not cancelling. We've been on 2 river cruises on our own. We enjoy meeting new people. If there is someone you just don't care for, you don't have to sit with them or be overly friendly. But, on our last cruise in May, we met 2 lovely couples; and the 6 of us just 'hit it off right.' We thoroughly enjoyed being with them.