what Era?

So I'm hoping the picture is attached because I have never tried it with my phone. What Era does this dress remind you of? Drop waist and heavily beaded. I found it in a thrift shop. Might use it for my dd for the prohibition party. What do you think...IF the picture us there.

imagejpeg_1.jpg.d288238a6ad06d089e094de435aa3716.jpg

That dress would workfor the Prohibition Party if you add a head band. When we went, the other people went all out. Some seemed like professional costumes, complete with wigs. Our group of 11 people all dressed up. I got a black dress shirt from Goodwill (new with tags) for DH, he borrowed a white tie someone had from a wedding years ago. We got bowler hats for the guys. He wore his black slacks. White arm band from a costume shop. I wore a dropped waist dress from a costume shop. We had a ball. I was surprised at the level some people went toto'get in character'.

Margee

Guest maddycat
So I'm hoping the picture is attached because I have never tried it with my phone. What Era does this dress remind you of? Drop waist and heavily beaded. I found it in a thrift shop. Might use it for my dd for the prohibition party. What do you think...IF the picture us there.

Definitely the roaring 20's. It will be great for a prohibition party.

Thanks . I was hoping so. The sleeves are faded on one side so I might just take the sleeves off.

I got a cheap flapper dress off e-bay for me. DH has a dark pinstripe suit. I want to get him a white tie to go with it and spats for his shoes and if I can find a nice hat for him too.

Sorry be a party pooper, but I see it as something one of the Golden Girls would have worn, so senior citizen in the mid-80's or so.

Roaring 20's flapper dresses were all about fringe. Beads were sometimes found, but it was all about the shimmy, so fringe was key. :)

Did you watch Boardwalk Empire? Not all women wore flapper dresses. Not all were young. The flappers were in nightclubs and speakeasies, but the 20's fashions were for all women. The dropped waist was the key to the style. Just my 2 cents

Margee

I think taking the sleeves off is a good idea. Most pictures of 20s dresses show sleeveless ones.

Like!

I was going to say the same thing!

I disagree that the dress looks matronly...especially if you remove the sleeves. It's lovely and perfect for your party.

Edited by mousey

Just to add...I agree a headband would be great with the dress especially one with a feather. If they have one in your mall...take a look in Charming Charlie's I believe is the name of the store...they have all kinds of dressy headbands, some with sequins, beads, pearls, and feathers. I got one there for the Grammys this year as the theme was also the 20s. :D

I think it will be nice in sleeveless. With sleeves it does look too matronly for a nightclub party. Just add headband, long pearls, and boa. Some women will just wear a black cocktail dress and add the accessories. The Prohibition Party is lots of fun.

Edited by royalcruz

When you remove the sleeves, use the fabric to make your headband, and then add some draped crystal beads on the forehead, and a feather in it. Making it sleeveless looks even more flapper-ish.

Edited by pcur

So I took off the sleeves and one layer of the bottom to shorten it. Took the extra material back to the lady who sold it to us and she made my daughter a flapper style hat. Now just need some long beads. Looks really cute and 20's . I'll post a picture after we get the whole outfit together.

I can't wait to see the finished outfit! Sounds so fab...

FYI, for anyone really interested in the fashions of that era, I'd look into reading about Coco Chanel. She created a phenomenon during that period using jersey fabric but wasn't really that famous until the 50s in the US. However, it's fascinating to learn about how those styles became popular and led to ready-to-wear clothing in department stores as opposed to having them made by a seamstress or fashion house.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The pic is there. I would say it could have been made as late as 1986. I had a dress similar to that: drop waisted, tiered skirt, blousy-top. BUT, you could use it as a flapper dress I'm sure. It would awesome if you added a bit of fringe on the lower layers and maybe took off the sleeves too. A feather boa would put it over the top! Great find!

While I agree the dress as shown makes me think Golden Girls immediately, that's as is and with no accessories. I really think if you removed the sleeves and added a headband with a feathered fascinator, long beads knotted in the front, and a pair of Mary Janes with a heel, you could pass for 1920's prohibition. I don't see why you should go out and spend for a costume if that dress was to be had cheaply and fits you well enough. I'd certainly have worn it had I been lucky enough to find one similar at my local thrift shop where the price would have been $3.

Unfortunately for me, I had to get my flapper dress elsewhere. If anyone's interested, check JC Penney's and Kohls. I was able to get my size for $20 including dress and headband with feather fascinator at JC Penney's website two weeks ago. At that time it would have been cheaper at Kohls, but they were out of my size. And if anyone wants to know, the size on the dresses is just ever so slightly on the generous side but necessary to make the fringe hang properly so order your usual size.