Cruising is the Best

Toad

I started cruising in my 30's and still find it to be a wonderful experience and I am pushing 60! However, if I had never cruised before and was thinking of this as a vacation, I would look at Cruise Critic to see what it was all about. Needless to say, some of the threads that have been ranting lately would absolutely make me think twice. I would be scared witless that a number of my fellow passengers would be self righteous, opinionated and ready to intrude my personal space with their opinions on what I could or could not do, wear, say or whatever.

So, I will start by saying that I LOVE cruising because:
1. It is so relaxing
2. It is so nice to be ALONE with my DH
3. I do not have to cook
4. I get to see new and exciting places, while not having to worry about getting there
5. I am not working
6. Somebody else does the cleaning

And Ooodles of reasons more. Can you add some, to help our newer members know the real reasons we cruise? Edited by Toad

I love to cruise because I have permanently itchy feet, and travelling is what scratches them!:D We used to fly and drive, but we find now that the distances we enjoy covering by car on any given day are becoming less and less, so now flying and cruising are our favoured methods of travelling. It's like being in a very comfortable hotel with good restaurants that takes us around the world. Being able to unpack once and put things away, knowing that we're not going to have to drag out those suitcases for weeks is a wonderful feeling.

Thanks for asking!

Sea days are like camp for grown-ups - someone else does the planning and I just have to decide....scrap booking? lei making? a nap? a drink while staring out to sea? trivia? coffee while listening to the guitar soloist?

At home I get to decide - laundry? clean the oven? pick weeds?

I like cruising. :)

Once you've embarked, it is the most relaxing vacation ever. So nice to unpack once, wake up in a different port/country, be waited on and pampered, and have my meals prepared, bed made, cabin tidied, and be entertained. What's not to like?:D

[quote name='Toad']I started cruising in my 30's and still find it to be a wonderful experience and I am pushing 60! However, if I had never cruised before and was thinking of this as a vacation, I would look at Cruise Critic to see what it was all about. Needless to say, some of the threads that have been ranting lately would absolutely make me think twice. I would be scared witless that a number of my fellow passengers would be self righteous, opinionated and ready to intrude my personal space with their opinions on what I could or could not do, wear, say or whatever.

So, I will start by saying that I LOVE cruising because:
1. It is so relaxing
2. It is so nice to be ALONE with my DH
3. I do not have to cook
4. I get to see new and exciting places, while not having to worry about getting there
5. I am not working
6. Somebody else does the cleaning

And Ooodles of reasons more. Can you add some, to help our newer members know the real reasons we cruise?[/QUOTE]

My DW would agree with you on all 6 points, except for #2.
DaveOKC

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]We love only having to unpack once and to wake up to being in a new place each day.
No problems having after dinner drinks at a bar because we don't have to drive home! :D
LuLu [/SIZE][/FONT]

Love cruising, but like land trips too, so I can see the insides and not just the "edges", and stay in a place for more than one day to really get the feel of it. I think a mix of both is the best. Cruising gives a taste of many places and then we can decide where we want to go back to for longer stays.
:):):)

Nice topic, Toad! This one requires a little thought. We were in our late 20s (DW) and early 30s (me) when we took our first cruise. It was my wife's idea. She booked us on a 7 day Western Caribbean out of New Orleans on the old Noordam. I knew I'd love Nawlins.

I was pretty sure I would hate the cruise part of the vacation. I usually need to be "doing things" on holiday, so I was certain that we would just do the one cruise and be done with it.

Not to ruin the surprise, but my wife was right and we've been cruising semi regularly for 20 years, mostly on Holland America. I'll be back with my answer after the little thought has been given.

[i]The important takeaway here is that my wife was right. Also, if this is my pre-answer, just imagine how convoluted the actual response will be. [/i] Edited by POA1

The best part of cruising for me is that you can make it what you want it to be!:)

It can be relaxing... days spent on the deck reading a great book with nice beverage.

It can be adventurous, depending on what you decide to do in port... like zip-lining in a rain forest.

It can be athletic... completing the One Deck for a Cause or a hike up Mt. Roberts.

It can be fancy... dinners in the Pinnacle Grill, or casual... a snack in the buffet.

You can be a lazy or active as you want to be!

When I first came to this board in 2007, I loved it. People were so nice and so helpful. I didn't cruise again until 2012 and what a change! I wouldn't even recommend new cruisers check it out, I was afraid they'd change their minds about cruising. I still read it as this will be my fourth cruise and I now better. Just ignore naysayers but do listen when a number of people have the same complaint.

I have just finished reading a book called Cruise Ship Blues, which basically talks about the bad things associated with cruising, and even that has not dampened my enthusiasm, however I have cruised a lot, and do love it. I just thought for a new cruiser, all of the recent negativity would be a bit frightening.

We started to cruise as a way to have a family reunion without putting too much pressure on anyone. We lived in New Jersey, DH's Mom lived in Michigan, and DD plus husband and first-born son lived in NH. To quote, "On the ship, no one had to cook, no one had to clean, and no one had to sleep on the floor!"

And we all had our own cabins to retreat to if family togetherness became too much. It was ideal for our family. As more and more grandchildren came along, and DH's Mom passed on, it was more complicated.....now we cruise for ourselves and gather for family reunions at a cottage. We still have fun together, but we can tolerate more chaos and confusion in our own space.

I think cruises are perfect for families and extended families, as well as for exhausted grandparents recovering from land-based family reunions. (Our last involved 35 people, aged 69 down to 14 months and was glorious.....but we are looking forward to our next cruise in 2 weeks to recuperate!)

Barbara M. In NH

Many, well most of the reasons already stated are why I enjoy cruising. Also we can be as busy or as lazy as we want with no one questioning our choice. I can do my thing, my DH does his if we want different things at the moment and then later do something together.

One of the huge advantages I see now is being able to disconnect from all the electronics. Phones, laptops, TV etc. We are hi-tech people so to give it up for a few days is glorious. Love being unplugged.:D

[quote name='cruising_family']Many, well most of the reasons already stated are why I enjoy cruising. Also we can be as busy or as lazy as we want with no one questioning our choice. I can do my thing, my DH does his if we want different things at the moment and then later do something together.

One of the huge advantages I see now is being able to disconnect from all the electronics. Phones, laptops, TV etc. We are hi-tech people so to give it up for a few days is glorious. Love being unplugged.:D[/QUOTE]

I hear you! In my work I am with people a lot, and I enjoy being UNPLUGGED from people. On a cruise if we choose to be sociable we can, but if not we can always find a place to be alone!

Cruising satisfies the frustrated "sailor" in me! From the time I was 7 years old I said I wanted to join the Navy, just like my uncles and my brother had done. When I was 19, I did, but that was way back in the 70's :rolleyes: before they allowed women on ships. Through the years, every time I saw a ship in port my heart began to race... just a little. While I KNOW the experiences are vastly different, at least I can now say "This sailor has finally gone to sea!" Took my first cruise this past May and I'm looking forward to my next one in December. As for whether or not CC might potentially frighten away new cruisers… I don't find that, at all. I enjoy reading the threads, have learned much, and ignore what I feel needs to be. In fact, I find the naysayers quite amusing. :D

What I like about cruising is if the weather is bad in one port of call, the next day or two the ship sails I am in another port, and the weather is most times better. Edited by geocruiser