Do you book with Princess or a cruise website ?

Cozzette2

I know we can't name names but I am still undecided who to book through. I have read been reading reviews about the different cruise websites. I am really trying to do my research. But some of the websites are offering deposits of $50 and my Princess rep hasn't offered that and we are booking about a dozen people. I have used a cruise website before and had good luck but they aren't offering anything like a deal right now either.

I guess I just want to know what your preference is for booking ?

Thanks

I know we can't name names but I am still undecided who to book through. I have read been reading reviews about the different cruise websites. I am really trying to do my research. But some of the websites are offering deposits of $50 and my Princess rep hasn't offered that and we are booking about a dozen people. I have used a cruise website before and had good luck but they aren't offering anything like a deal right now either.

I guess I just want to know what your preference is for booking ?

Thanks

I always book with an online travel agent. I usually book several hundred dollars less than what Princess can do. About the best way I know of is to meet someone on a cruise that has experience and ask who they book with.

Sometimes your roll call will have a spreadsheet that will list people's e-mail addresses so you can ask them that way. I know it is difficult to find the right online agent. I have gone through a few, but it is still the best way to go.

Loonbeam is right about service and relationship, though. I recently transferred my bookings with a long time TA. Not because he didn't give good deals, but because he was condescending and took forever to answer e-mails or return calls. I found a new TA through someone who posts regularly on CC and was on my roll call.

Edited by billco

I book directly with Princess; I think the service and the prices are the best. Online agencies do a lot tricks with smoke and mirrors on prices; with Princess I know exactly what I'm buying and at what price.

I book directly with Princess; I think the service and the prices are the best. Online agencies do a lot tricks with smoke and mirrors on prices; with Princess I know exactly what I'm buying and at what price.

Hi Rick & Vita,

Shame we never met you on the Royal cruise, our roll call group had a blast! I have a great TA that has an on-line agency. He has never, in the last six years, used smoke or mirrors and I always get a better deal than Princess offers. I always get OBC and often a personal gift while on-board! I find a great TA is always better than Princess direct. :D

Ken

if you are booking early, I book directly with princess to get the booking the way I want it, then I transfer to a ta to get a lower price and percs like obc.

last minute stuff, I usually book through princess. my ta can't beat the price by much, so I'd rather be in control of the bookings myself.

if you are booking for 12 people. shop around to other ta's. you can probably get a better deal. the amount of the deposit isn't a big deal to me as I figure its all gotta be paid sometime. what matters to me is a better price and obc.

I have been working with a Princess rep. I told her that I had received some on line offers for our sailing and they offered some nice perks in addition to the lowered deposit. I have emailed her twice to see if she can match what I have been offered with no response. So I am slightly disappointed that I haven't heard from her. I did get a recommendation from a friend who cruises frequently for a local TA. I hesitate to ditch the Princess rep because she started working this up so I feel slightly loyal. At this point we have not booked so I guess I can go with the best deal. Thank you all so much for your helpful answers

I have been working with a Princess rep. I told her that I had received some on line offers for our sailing and they offered some nice perks in addition to the lowered deposit. I have emailed her twice to see if she can match what I have been offered.

Princess will not compete with discount TAs on pricing and amenities.

I always book directly with Princess UK and whenever I have spotted a cheaper price or other perks I phone up and they have always matched or bettered the offer including OBC , TA's do not work for nothing so you must be paying a bit extra along the way somewhere IMHO

I am from the Uk and booked our August cruise through Princess.When I spoke to the same lady yesterday,she did tell me that they will price match anyone else as long as it is before full payment.If you ring them regularly they can tell you if the price of the cabin has gone down and will alter the cost accordingly,again before final payment...

I always book directly with Princess UK and whenever I have spotted a cheaper price or other perks I phone up and they have always matched or bettered the offer including OBC , TA's do not work for nothing so you must be paying a bit extra along the way somewhere IMHO

Of course TAs don't work for nothing -- Princess pays them a percentage of your price as commission.

In the US....

If you book with Princess, you pay the whole commission.

If you book with an agent who discounts, they can discount part of that commission and you can pay a cheaper amount.

I book with an agent who lives across the country from me. I either email her or call her for prices.

I do all the research myself upfront. I know the cruise I want, the cabin I want, the dining time I want, etc. I then use a TA with a large online discount agency to book the cruise. What do I get out of it. Usually around 10% in OBC's that the agency takes out of their commission. I've cruised enough that I feel that I "know what I'm doing". The TA is just a middle man. If I could get the same 10% by booking directly with the cruise line would I? Absolutely.

Now if I were doing a world cruise or other exotic cruise then I would probably use an agency that specializes in those. There are a lot of other things that are required (i.e. visas, vaccinations, etc.) that they could assist me with that usually aren't required for the 14 day or less cruises I take.

I book with Princess using my FCCs that I buy while on the ship. Then I look around for a TA making a good offer for that cruise and have the booking moved to them to get the extras If I can't find anything better, I stay with Princess booking.

I far prefer booking directly with Princess, which avoids having a middle person involved in getting a question answered or an issue resolved. I have always had great service from the Princess agents. I feel Princess pricing is usually fair, and once booked, I monitor the fares almost daily, and if a reduction appears, am perfectly capable of calling Princess to request it be applied to my booking. Except in the instance of an occasional "flash sale", I have always been successful, sometimes more than once on a given cruise.

I realize that it is a control thing on my part, but I really dislike having to deal with a 3rd party. I would rather pay a few extra $$s for my fare than feel as if I don't have a good handle on all aspects of my travel.

I have been looking at reviews on several cruise companies and some have some pretty poor reviews. I am going to try a local TA with a good reputation. I have a friend who has used this company several times with great success.

Thank you for the insight, it has been so helpful :D

I book with TAs because I prefer to pay 10-20% less than booking directly plus I get OBC and amenities. I tell them exactly what I want and they book it. If there are problems or issues, they are my advocate. I have complete control over my bookings with TAs who are responsive, even late at night or over a weekend and they are always gracious and knowledgeable.

I far prefer booking directly with Princess, which avoids having a middle person involved in getting a question answered or an issue resolved. I have always had great service from the Princess agents. I feel Princess pricing is usually fair, and once booked, I monitor the fares almost daily, and if a reduction appears, am perfectly capable of calling Princess to request it be applied to my booking. Except in the instance of an occasional "flash sale", I have always been successful, sometimes more than once on a given cruise.

I realize that it is a control thing on my part, but I really dislike having to deal with a 3rd party. I would rather pay a few extra $$s for my fare than feel as if I don't have a good handle on all aspects of my travel.

I agree with everything the poster says; I know I have saved much more in price drops than I paid in commissions. You can't count on TAs to monitor the prices like you would yourself. And there are many things you can't do through Princess if you use a TA; book through Princess and you have complete control. But you need to understand the system--how everything works; if you don't, you are better off with a TA.

|Our first cruise we used a TA and found it was a pain. Everything we wanted to do or have information or change something had to go through the TA. We prefer to have our on control and deal directly. Things get confused when it has to go through someone, then princess says something back to the TA then to us. Not worth the time spent.